Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

God dammit Jim put that down we've got work to do!

His name is Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Sagebrush posted:

even after the little kid says "oh no, mommy" the driver doesn't brake or steer. just full steam directly into the stopped car.

cell phones were a mistake

I already couldn't multitask worth a drat when one of the tasks is talking on the phone, long before cell phones, so yeah.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Dagen H posted:

His name is Jack

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dagen H posted:

His name is Jack

As a lame dad I loving love this post

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Dagen H posted:

His name is Jack

"Well in that case, Jack! Off!"

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Dagen H posted:

His name is Jack

:vince:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

Firearm regulations aren't written.
They are written, and the senate won’t pass them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/ULbzsXD.gifv

Whoopsy

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dagen H posted:

His name is Jack

Jack not name, jack job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAb1LPPka64

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nice power take-off.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

What am I looking at here?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beartaco posted:

It's a directional drill for installing cables underground. Normally you dig a trench on both sides and run the drill through to get under the road or whatever. They did "or whatever" a little too hard this time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I drink your milkshake *SLURP* I DRINK IT UP!

BTW, a recent movie that features these types of drills is The Hummingbird Project.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 5, 2019

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mierenneuker posted:

I drink your milkshake *SLURP* I DRINK IT UP!

BTW, a recent movie that features these types of drills is The Hummingbird Project.

STRAIGHT STRAIGHT STRAIGHT. :lol: There are far more sane ways to get better ping for CSGO.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Beartaco posted:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

oohhboy posted:

STRAIGHT STRAIGHT STRAIGHT. :lol: There are far more sane ways to get better ping for CSGO.

Part of the movie is not only building that straight line (which turns out, ain't easy through the Appalachian Mountains), but also that the coder spends months in a hotel room looking for a way to optimize his code.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sir! We've hit a pocket of refined oil?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

As a kid, I laughed at this nonsense. And then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGfQg8Cr8o

As an added bonus, I drilled on that rig for a couple of weeks.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

I'm excited for my inevitable death due to a distracted driver. I think I see 4-5 people texting in their laps every day when cycling in town.

I've seen people texting/talking while on bicycles. Naturally, their right hand is the one steering/braking so they've only got their rear brake to work with. You're already courting death cycling anywhere near a main road in the US, why not make it interesting!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

redgubbinz posted:

I've seen people texting/talking while on bicycles. Naturally, their right hand is the one steering/braking so they've only got their rear brake to work with. You're already courting death cycling anywhere near a main road in the US, why not make it interesting!
Do you understand the difference between being a danger to yourself and others, clarkson-avatared man?

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

This is why you never trust the PFY after electrifying his keyboard. You might find the new trench you were digging to steal bandwidth from across the road has mysteriously been re-routed into the basement carpark where it runs right through the CEO's space where you've been parking your car ever since you discreetly reminded them of the company's zero-tolerance policy on computer misuse.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Old Balls McGee posted:

As a kid, I laughed at this nonsense. And then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGfQg8Cr8o

As an added bonus, I drilled on that rig for a couple of weeks.

This is all so they can get at that sweet oil they didnt buy mineral rights to, correct?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

redgubbinz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_OkzChXQU&t=347s

(should be cued at 5:47)

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is all so they can get at that sweet oil they didnt buy mineral rights to, correct?

Exactly

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Some locator is getting fired over this one.
Maybe the operator too. I don't see any mud discharge.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lurking Haro posted:

Nice power take-off.

that's exactly what my brain interpreted it as at first. "Huh, they got a PTO running off that Ford, how the gently caress? What are they even doing? Oh. OH. lol good job"

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 5, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

oohhboy posted:

It's actually based on the true story of Spread Networks laying a nearly straight cable from Chicago to New York for high frequency trading. There was a chapter about it in the book Flash Boys.

quote:

Not all trading takes place in New York. By historical accident, derivatives such as futures and options are mostly traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, 720 miles away. So a few years ago, a company called Spread Networks began quietly buying up rights-of-way for a route that would lop about 140 miles off the shortest fiber-optic cable distance between the Chicago Merc and the communications hub of Carteret, New Jersey, the primary data center for Nasdaq. Existing networks tend to follow railroad lines and were designed to serve population centers, not to provide a point-to-point link for traders. Instead of dipping south toward Philadelphia, Spread’s route heads northwest through central Pennsylvania and then due west to Cleveland. Latency is typically measured in round-trip times (i.e., an order and a confirmation); the shortest cable route before Spread lit up its network in 2010 clocked a round-trip time of 14.5 milliseconds, according to Spread executives, but capacity was inadequate, so most customers had to settle for 15.9 milliseconds. Spread cut that to as little as 13.1 milliseconds for its premium “dark fiber” service, a connection that doesn’t have to be shared with other customers. Prices are a closely guarded secret in this world, although the consensus estimate among traders is “plenty.”

https://www.wired.com/2012/08/ff_wallstreet_trading/2/

Microwaves are actually faster and straighter now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Elon Musk’s Starlink is ostensibly about connecting the rural third world to the Internet, but the artesian cash well is high-frequency trading.

The satellites orbit low enough that they undercut submarine cables on latency.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/chiweethedog/status/1158424179131080704?s=19
:stonk:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Definitely not nuclear, but a hell of a blast nonetheless.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FOAB ?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It doesn’t have to be one device.

Pack a bunch of bombs in one place and when one detonates, they all do.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"sounds like nuclear" is some purestrain internet stupidity.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Reminds me of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUREX8aFbMs

Imagined posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can tell a nuke when I hear one. I've heard a few nukes in my time. I can tell by the particles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

It doesn’t have to be one device.

Pack a bunch of bombs in one place and when one detonates, they all do.

Yeah, sometimes "kiloton" doesn't refer to a hypothetical thousand tons of TNT. You'd need tens or hundreds of thousands of tons to match the yield of a real nuke but a large arsenal going up is close.

A couple of times one military or another has actually done this deliberately as a test, the closest they've ever gotten was ~5 kilotons of ANFO which was about as powerful as 4kt of TNT or 1/4 of a Little Boy.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 5, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Imagined posted:

These explosions were obviously nuclear but what types of munitions were stored there? And would they readily admit it to the public if radioactive materials or toxic fallout were released? #Chernobyl

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcx7_1yphJI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Cojawfee posted:

I can tell a nuke when I hear one. I've heard a few nukes in my time. I can tell by the particles.

As an audiophile I find they have a warmer sound. People say you can't tell the difference between a proper artisan low oxygen nuclear weapon and an equivalent volume of regular explosives, but as we saw when the Russians lost the loudness war that just isn't the case.

Anyway so we're putting another $100bn on the procurement budget right? I know a really good maker of hand crafted big red buttons.