Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Probably still more than the MPL will get in the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

this calvalcade of elementals deck is terrible, but I live for that 72 calvalcade of calamities triggers on the stack

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PleasantDirge posted:

That sounds pretty on brand for me and makes sense. It was still cool to watch

The conclusion for the finals was great - Hogaak player punted when he messed up not attacking for lethal because they were playing around something, mono red Phoenix player needed to hit a specific set of draws starting with looting off the top, flashed back looting, and got there at 1 life.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Today they're revealing cards for the Faceless Menace (morph theme) commander deck

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Thespian's Stage reprint

And Split Second is back!!

Sudden Exchange

instant

Split second

Exchange control of target noncreature spell and target creature. Then player who controls that spell may choose new targets for it.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 5, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kurtofan posted:

Sudden Exchange

instant

Split second

Exchange control of target noncreature spell and target creature. Then player who controls that spell may choose new targets for it.

wait, so you trade a spell for a creature (or vice versa)?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

TheChirurgeon posted:

wait, so you trade a spell for a creature (or vice versa)?

Yeah, you can steal a spell by giving away a creature or something. That's real cool.
So is the art.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Kurtofan posted:

Thespian's Stage reprint

Reddit seemed really excited for that, but it's a $3 card which was reprinted in UMA less than a year ago. Am I missing something?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kurtofan posted:

Today they're revealing cards for the Faceless Menace (morph theme) commander deck

The first green vampire I believe.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Sudden Exchange

instant

Split second

Cool art. If you cast a counter then cast this in response to your counter giving them your counter, they still have to counter their own spell right? So your counter still works and you get a creature.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

pointsofdata posted:

Cool art. If you cast a counter then cast this in response to your counter giving them your counter, they still have to counter their own spell right? So your counter still works and you get a creature.

They can change the counter to target this spell.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
This is dizzying, most Izzet approach to an Azorius spell to date.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

They can change the counter to target this spell.

won't sudden exchange have already resolved? or does the counter move up the stack when control is exchanged

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

pointsofdata posted:

won't sudden exchange have already resolved? or does the counter move up the stack when control is exchanged
When they're choosing new a target for your Counterspell, Exchange has already resolved because your opponent is choosing a new target for your Counterspell, and Exchange is in the graveyard if no other responses.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

When they're choosing new a target for your Counterspell, Exchange has already resolved because your opponent is choosing a new target for your Counterspell, and Exchange is in the graveyard if no other responses.

that's my understanding, so unless they are allowed to make Counterspell counter itself, they have to counter their own spell

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

No sultai creature has double strike to begin with. Way to blueball me wotc. 😠

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Read the card again. It says "If a nontoken creature would die". It doesn't specifically say *your* nontoken creature. So you can get it from someone else's creature.

I don't think Rayami is super competitive but having that niche stax built in with perks that makes it stronger later in the game is pretty nifty.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Doesn’t say “your”

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tubgoat posted:

That's not true. You take the spell off the stack after doing all of the instructions on it.

This spell does:
exchange the things
then choose new targets
then this spell has finished resolving

when you're choosing targets for the counterspell, the things on the stack are: Sudden Exchange, Counterspell and the original spell being countered. There's a rule that says spells can't target themselves, so your options are Sudden Exchange and the original spell.

Immediately afterwards, Sudden Exchange will be put into the graveyard from the stack, and then if nothing else happens, counterspell will fizzle due to having no legal targets. But, the target was legal when you chose it, so it's allowed.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 5, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

That's not true. You take the spell off the stack after doing all of the instructions on it.

This spell does:
exchange the things
then choose new targets
then this spell has finished resolving

when you're choosing targets for the counterspell, the things on the stack are: Sudden Exchange, Counterspell and the original spell being countered. There's a rule that says spells can't target themselves, so your options are Sudden Exchange and the original spell.

Immediately afterwards, Sudden Exchange will be put into the graveyard from the stack, and then if nothing else happens, counterspell will fizzle due to having no legal targets. But, the target was legal when you chose it, so it's allowed.

That makes sense, thanks. So you'd have to do it with essence scatter or something

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

pointsofdata posted:

That makes sense, thanks. So you'd have to do it with essence scatter or something

Or a blue elemental blast (but NOT a hydroblast)

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

That seems to be very badly worded. I understand what the intention is but surely you strictly couldn't use it if it's not under your control?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mojo Jojo posted:

That seems to be very badly worded. I understand what the intention is but surely you strictly couldn't use it if it's not under your control?

You can't use it. It's very bad for you in a 2 player game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dr. Stab posted:

I would assume in a deck that steals or returns permanents to owners this becomes very powerful.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mojo Jojo posted:

Dr. Stab posted:

You're forced to give it to an opponent. They control it, not you, so like every other permanent you don't control (unless explicitly stated), you can't activate its abilities. It's tempting for them to use, but if/when they do, you benefit from it as well. It's also amazing if you can steal it back somehow, because then you get to pay 2 to draw two cards and put up to two lands from your hand onto the battlefield.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kurtofan posted:

Sudden Exchange

instant

Split second

:eyepop:

And I thought Switcheroo was a fun include in my Talrand counters/card draw deck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Right. By itself it gives your opponent the option to do something. This can only ever be bad for you. It only does anything at all beneficial if you can steal it back and I don't think it enough of a payoff for that combo, unless I'm missing some other synergies with stealing back your own stuff.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 5, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dr. Stab posted:

Right. By itself it gives you opponent the option to do something. This can only ever be bad for you. It only does anything at all beneficial if you can steal it back and I don't think it enough of a payoff for that combo, unless I'm missing some other synergies with stealing back your own stuff.

The commander sets are designed for games with more than two players, if you give this to one of your opponents they will generally use it to benefit the both of you at the expense of all the other players at the table.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dr. Stab posted:

Right. By itself it gives your opponent the option to do something. This can only ever be bad for you. It only does anything at all beneficial if you can steal it back and I don't think it enough of a payoff for that combo, unless I'm missing some other synergies with stealing back your own stuff.

Have you considered that the point of EDH and these decks is 'having fun in a multiplayer game'

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I was using "it's very bad for you in a two player game" to clarify what the effect was and not to pass judgement on the card. I'm sure it's only mildly bad for you in a multiplayer game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It should be pretty clear why this is in fact pretty strong in a multiplayer game, unless you're the sort of person who refuses to ever trade when they play Settlers of Catan because the person you're trading with will also benefit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dr. Stab posted:

Right. By itself it gives you opponent the option to do something. This can only ever be bad for you. It only does anything at all beneficial if you can steal it back and I don't think it enough of a payoff for that combo, unless I'm missing some other synergies with stealing back your own stuff.

"Can only" is actually incorrect here. Your opponent can choose to not use it and or wait to activate it when its less beneficial for you, but drawing you a card as well always has a chance to benefit you.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

It's a card for people who play Phelddagrif hugbox decks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Way of Return (G)(G)
Sorcery

Choose one:

Return a permanent from your graveyard to your hand

Take your Commander from the command zone to your hand

Entwine 2

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sickening posted:

"Can only" is actually incorrect here. Your opponent can choose to not use it and or wait to activate it when its less beneficial for you, but drawing you a card as well always has a chance to benefit you.

Sure, that's fair. I guess I meant that at any point, you'd rather your opponent didn't have this card than have it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Katana Gomai posted:

Reddit seemed really excited for that, but it's a $3 card which was reprinted in UMA less than a year ago. Am I missing something?

Reddit, as always, is really loving stupid.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thanks, I hate it.

This sort of design needs to be wiped off the map.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

This will go great in my dragon Mairsil commander deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Am I missing something, or can you trade your own One With Nothing for your opponent's best creature? What other spells hurt the person casting them?