Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

tbh even if it did have a different meaning then i do not much care what a bunch of 1700s farmers thought, i just want to live in a civilized first world country

Don't hurt yourself moving those goalposts. Lift with your knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

tbh even if it did have a different meaning then i do not much care what a bunch of 1700s farmers thought, i just want to live in a civilized first world country

I'm going to have to agree that trying to restrict common understanding of the law by gatekeeping it behind pedantry is really uncool.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

McNally posted:

Don't hurt yourself moving those goalposts. Lift with your knees.

uhh you didn't even cite these supposed sources you had, just claimed you had uncovered them during your wealth of studies. dont think im the one moving the goalposts there friendo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

uhh you didn't even cite these supposed sources you had, just claimed you had uncovered them during your wealth of studies. dont think im the one moving the goalposts there friendo

I'm not at all inclined to think you're at all dealing with me in good faith here. First you come at me with "well that's a chud talking point," then you say "yeah well whatever I don't care." So by that point we weren't talking about the original argument anymore and then you pivot back to "citation needed."

Also what the gently caress is your av.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
gently caress yeah who is winning right now

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

McNally posted:

I'm not at all inclined to think you're at all dealing with me in good faith here. First you come at me with "well that's a chud talking point," then you say "yeah well whatever I don't care." So by that point we weren't talking about the original argument anymore and then you pivot back to "citation needed."

I'll ask the question in good faith, then.

I freely admit it's been years since I did any digging into early American gun control.

If I recall correctly, various colonial and early American towns were straight-up gun free zones, even within the lifetime of the Constitution's writers. I would take this to suggest that they weren't wholly against the idea, as I'm unaware of any of them raising hell about that. But, I'm also not a history major.

Don't cite sources, that would be a time consuming pain in the rear end. But, if you don't mind paraphrasing, what did you come across regarding the Framers' original intent re: the second amendment?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

McNally posted:

I have not even logged into this account for 5-6 years since yesterday. I was Our Gay Apparel or OGA a really really long time ago. Some people will probably remember me, or maybe not. Idk. I don't know what a chud is, I've noticed that seems to be a term used around here these days. As for your talking point, I'm pointing out that the only references to a different interpretation of "well-regulated" when you google the term are very pro-2A websites. This is true. If you have a different source, feel free to cite it. Cool. I just think that's an interesting talking point that seems to be parroted repeatedly by a certain type of author. Whether well-regulated means your meaning or the current commonly accepted one, I still do not give two shits what a 1700s farmer thinks. Even Jefferson himself said that a constitution written a long time ago would be a tyranny of generations. I'm not arguing that "well-regulated" means we should have tons of gun control laws, I'm stating that 2A types have a tendency to twist words. I do not care what those words are, they are irrelevant. Like I said, I want to live in a civilized, first world country. If the words of 1700s farmers stop that, whether that is in regards to guns or an individual healthcare mandate, I have an issue with them. We have the oldest working constitution in the world. That is not a good thing.

NAPALM STICKS TO fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 5, 2019

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Don't worry. Healthcare and abortion will be more important than this in two weeks, then we'll get back to immigration.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Arc Light posted:

I'll ask the question in good faith, then.

I freely admit it's been years since I did any digging into early American gun control.

If I recall correctly, various colonial and early American towns were straight-up gun free zones, even within the lifetime of the Constitution's writers. I would take this to suggest that they weren't wholly against the idea, as I'm unaware of any of them raising hell about that. But, I'm also not a history major.

Don't cite sources, that would be a time consuming pain in the rear end. But, if you don't mind paraphrasing, what did you come across regarding the Framers' original intent re: the second amendment?

This is outside of my wheelhouse but the short version as I understand it is that the intent was to allow the citizenry to maintain arms in the event of a superemergency, with all the able-bodied men of the population acting as a reserve.

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

I have not even logged into this account for 5-6 years since yesterday. I was Our Gay Apparel or OGA a really really long time ago. Some people will probably remember me, or maybe not. Idk. I don't know what a chud is, I've noticed that seems to be a term used around here these days. As for your talking point, I'm pointing out that the only references to a different interpretation of "well-regulated" when you google the term are very pro-2A websites. This is true. If you have a different source, feel free to cite it. Cool. I just think that's an interesting talking point that seems to be parroted repeatedly by a certain type of author. Whether well-regulated means your meaning or the current commonly accepted one, I still do not give two shits what a 1700s farmer thinks. Even Jefferson himself said that a constitution written a long time ago would be a tyranny of generations. I'm not arguing that "well-regulated" means we should have tons of gun control laws, I'm stating that 2A types have a tendency to twist words. I do not care what those words are, they are irrelevant. Like I said, I want to live in a civilized, first world country. If the words of 1700s farmers stop that, whether that is in regards to guns or an individual healthcare mandate, I have an issue with them. We have the oldest working constitution in the world. That is not a good thing.

Gotcha. Mostly I saw it come up in terms of clocks, meaning maintained and operational.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Either interpretation doesn't call to mind a bunch of guys with bloatees running around in tacticool gear and rocking sheepdog patches.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

McNally posted:

This is outside of my wheelhouse but the short version as I understand it is that the intent was to allow the citizenry to maintain arms in the event of a superemergency, with all the able-bodied men of the population acting as a reserve.

Gotcha. Mostly I saw it come up in terms of clocks, meaning maintained and operational.

yeah okay I'm down with preparing for a superemergency. Sounds like something we should train, prepare and be responsible and ready to do! All gun purchases now need to be paired with superemergency training so that when it happens anyone who didn't get it will feel very safe and comfortable and cool with these very trained people out in the world (who happen to own guns).

e: also let's just point and out remember here that the current reading of individual rights to own and possess weapons was only first recognized/upheld in 2008 and anyone going back to 1790 for this poo poo is completely up their own rear end

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 5, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

I have not even logged into this account for 5-6 years since yesterday.

What were you up to for the last 5 to 6 years? :hmmyes:

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Chichevache posted:

What were you up to for the last 5 to 6 years? :hmmyes:

starting a company and importing/rebuilding old land rovers

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

starting a company and importing/rebuilding old land rovers

So.... you're a boss now? Welcome back to the forums. Things have... changed while you've been away.

:thermidor:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Would it be possible to table a motion to move gun control chat to the other thread? Because holy poo poo it’s not value added to one of our best threads.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

McNally posted:

His av is a kid, finishing his screen name which is NAPALM STICKS TO [picture of a kid].

It was probably made during the heyday of the CURE/S screen names.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...4e39_story.html

Please remember to send our beloved Mitch your thoughts and prayers.

I haven't read past this but does anybody know the whereabouts of Rand Paul's neighbor or is he out vigilanteing again

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Controversial internet message board 8chan went offline Monday after internet infrastructure company Cloudflare stopped providing support for the website used by the suspected gunman in El Paso to post a hate-filled screed.

"We just sent notice that we are terminating 8chan as a customer effective at midnight tonight Pacific Time. The rationale is simple: they have proven themselves to be lawless and that lawlessness has caused multiple tragic deaths. Even if 8chan may not have violated the letter of the law in refusing to moderate their hate-filled community, they have created an environment that revels in violating its spirit," Matthew Prince, Cloudflare CEO wrote in a blog post.
The announcement was an about-face after Cloudflare told CNN earlier Sunday that it had no plans to stop providing its services to 8chan. The company had said it has been in contact with law enforcement about Saturday's mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, where the suspect is believed to have posted what police describe as a manifesto on 8chan minutes before the attack. People accused of a synagogue shooting in Poway, California, and shootings at two mosques in New Zealand also reportedly announced their plans on 8chan.
"We continue to feel incredibly uncomfortable about playing the role of content arbiter and do not plan to exercise it often," Prince said in the post.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

El Mero Mero posted:

um, I'd also say that the "well regulated militia" portion of the 2nd should actually be built out. Require all fire-arms holders to have training (military training substitutes for other mandated training, etc).

This would, at the very least, put an instructor in front of all the whackos and give an avenue for folks to raise the alarm about people early and discourage purchasing overall.

Considering the unsafe poo poo I've seen gun owners do, I'd say the majority could go for more safety training in general

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Controversial internet message board 8chan went offline Monday after internet infrastructure company Cloudflare stopped providing support for the website used by the suspected gunman in El Paso to post a hate-filled screed.

"We just sent notice that we are terminating 8chan as a customer effective at midnight tonight Pacific Time. The rationale is simple: they have proven themselves to be lawless and that lawlessness has caused multiple tragic deaths. Even if 8chan may not have violated the letter of the law in refusing to moderate their hate-filled community, they have created an environment that revels in violating its spirit," Matthew Prince, Cloudflare CEO wrote in a blog post.
The announcement was an about-face after Cloudflare told CNN earlier Sunday that it had no plans to stop providing its services to 8chan. The company had said it has been in contact with law enforcement about Saturday's mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, where the suspect is believed to have posted what police describe as a manifesto on 8chan minutes before the attack. People accused of a synagogue shooting in Poway, California, and shootings at two mosques in New Zealand also reportedly announced their plans on 8chan.
"We continue to feel incredibly uncomfortable about playing the role of content arbiter and do not plan to exercise it often," Prince said in the post.

They'll just end up with another host within a couple days but for now they're silent

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FAUXTON posted:

They'll just end up with another host within a couple days but for now they're silent

Cloudflare isn't the host, its protection from being DDOS'd off the net.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

"Inciting two white supremacist mass shootings a year was fine, but three strikes and you're out buddy!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RFC2324 posted:

Cloudflare isn't the host, its protection from being DDOS'd off the net.

Ah, well with any luck they won't find that protection any time soon and will continue to be DDOS'd into the void

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Melthir posted:

Yeah....I'd have to pass on that one even if they offered me double what I paid. I've had to put down a bear, a super aggressive dog that treed a kid and a couple years back Hooker shot a loving methed up gently caress in the leg who tried to kick his way into our house. Guns are a useful tool for some.

There's at least one and maybe upwards of three interesting stories here

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Watch Trump and the CHUDs start ranting about conservatives being d e p l a t f o r m e d on yet another social media site. :allears:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
In unrelated good news Bitch McConnell fell and broke a shoulder yesterday

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Alec Guinness died.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BigDave posted:

Alec Guinness died.

Again?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woops, I half-heard it on the radio when my alarm went off.

Ronny Bridges died.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1158330513951735809

Here comes the ultimate poison pill, Trump is tweeting about linking UBC with immigration reform.

Comedy option: the Democrats agree to fund the wall in full in exchange for an AWB.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Here comes the ultimate poison pill, Trump is tweeting about linking UBC with immigration reform.

Comedy option: the Democrats agree to fund the wall in full in exchange for an AWB.

Go big or go home. Chris Rock tax on ammunition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Oh great, here comes the Dennis Hopper school of negotiation.

"Pass this immigration reform bill or the bus blows up!"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gonna be really, really, really bad.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1158336028014534656?s=19

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Eric Bradner (@ericbradner) Tweeted:
Beto O’Rourke on his way to his car was asked if there’s anything Trump can do now to make this better.

“What do you think? You know the poo poo he’s been saying. He’s been calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals. I don’t know, like, members of the press, what the gently caress?” https://t.co/zjLYf4mzBr https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1158196171451576321?s=17

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ok beto went up a point in my book now

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mlmp08 posted:

Beto O’Rourke on his way to his car was asked if there’s anything Trump can do now to make this better.

“What do you think? You know the poo poo he’s been saying. He’s been calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals. I don’t know, like, members of the press, what the gently caress?” https://t.co/zjLYf4mzBr https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1158196171451576321?s=17

Was about to post this and...

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ok beto went up a point in my book now

Yep. If was half as honest like this on the debate stage, he'd be surging ahead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Was about to post this and...

Yep. If was half as honest like this on the debate stage, he'd be surging ahead.

I think Beto is really a guy with good intents but is completely owned by his oil interests and desperately fighting to stay "texan" because texans are fickle fucks.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

mlmp08 posted:

this is a pretty good point. asking trump what to do or suggesting wht he can do about racism and violence is like asking what hitler can do about nazis :godwin:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Handsome Ralph posted:

he wouldnt because he's always been a lovely candidate nationally.

but hed probably be leading John Cornyn now lolol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Seriously, run for the loving Senate Beto. You want to inact change? Start there. It's not too loving late. gently caress.