Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Yeah, we got HTTP here

Hogshead
Touching
The
Penis

ed: worst snipe. I don't have a cat to post, but I do currently have caterpillars, please accept those instead

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Is 45 the 4 in this 4chan person that’s behind all this?
efb on 45 being Trump but the idea is that all these mentally troubled lone wolvesterrorists either directly buy into QAnon poo poo or radicalize themselves around whenever Trump talks about "invasions" and "needing to take them out".

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Trump is pretty obsessed with the 45 as well. I don’t know if that’s totally normal for a US President, I know we don’t really track PMs that way.

He’s even had a hat made.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's mostly a thing because of Bush Sr. (41) and Jr. (43) as you needed a way to quickly specify and "Dubya" is more of an insult. Trump just loves anything that reminds people that he's pres.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Plus .45 ACP is a famous American pistol round, so combine Trump and the NRA lobby and you get all kinds of poo poo that would make 80s Latin American dictators say "man, that's tacky."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you hadn't said I'd have assumed it was some 1488 type poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/imbadatlife/status/1158345123178176512

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I do sometimes find myself thinking ‘loving hell, Donald Trump is the US President, what the hell?’ So maybe he does need the hat.

(And I know he’s not the first celebrity, but I wasn’t alive during Regan)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

It's the first step towards a border wall with a reconstituted Danelaw on one side.Huge fan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

well, about that...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

efb on 45 being Trump but the idea is that all these mentally troubled lone wolvesterrorists either directly buy into QAnon poo poo or radicalize themselves around whenever Trump talks about "invasions" and "needing to take them out".

Yeah there's no Manchurian Candidate single trigger phrase that turns someone into a killer. You have to start with a large, disaffected population and bombard them with rhetoric for years on end, funneling them down the validation dopamine trail to more and more extreme rhetoric and eventually one of them snaps. I've heard the phrase "stochastic terrorism" used to describe it, and it's a useful term to describe what is going on, distinct from the traditional paths of radicalisation, with everything from ISIS recruitment to these mass shootings.

The point is you can't say that Trump's rambling, Alex Jones' ranting, or whatever you want to call what Prison Paul does is "responsible" for this any more than you can say deindustrialisation, suburban alienation, or the general toxicity of society are responsible. No one raindrop is responsible for a dam failing, and shutting down one source - even the President of the United States - would be as useful as standing on the edge of the reservoir with an umbrella. The entire culture is sick and these are all symptoms, and trying to shut down any one of them on it's own won't do the trick - you have to address the entire illness. Oh and get rid of all the loving guns, for fucks sake.

Also FWIW Q is almost entirely boomers, the only real overlap between them and these mass shooters is 8chan - of course that two such horrible streams of piss manage to come out of the same hole is itself a worry but shutting down that one site isn't going to stop it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

I do sometimes find myself thinking ‘loving hell, Donald Trump is the US President, what the hell?’ So maybe he does need the hat.

(And I know he’s not the first celebrity, but I wasn’t alive during Regan)

reagan at least had historical experience in office and was ostensibly smart, trump was obviously dumb from birth

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, and now you know.

Calling Trump 45 is not a shorthand, exactly. Trump loves seeing his name everywhere, so some people started referring to him as "45" specifically so he wouldn't be identified.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Love examples of capitalism being beyond parody https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49234054

quote:

McDonald's paper straws cannot be recycled

McDonald's new paper straws - described as "eco-friendly" by the US fast food giant - cannot be recycled.
Last year, it axed plastic straws, even though they were recyclable, in all its UK branches as part of a green drive.
But the US fast food giant says the new paper straws are not yet easy to recycle and should be put into general waste.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jedit posted:

Well, and now you know.

Calling Trump 45 is not a shorthand, exactly. Trump loves seeing his name everywhere, so some people started referring to him as "45" specifically so he wouldn't be identified.

I suspect he loves 45 as it reminds him he’s in a very exclusive group of only 44 people who have been among the most powerful people in the world.

The one thing he craves more than anything is that recognition.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Nice cadderppliers - painted ladies? And whhhyyyy?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Noxville posted:

Love examples of capitalism being beyond parody https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49234054

The point would be is they're now biodegradable so even if you can't recycle them it's still much better for the environment

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Noxville posted:

Wasn't the main idea that they'd decompose much quicker than plastic as a solution to all the plastic that's ending up in the ocean?
It's not quite recycling as we know it but it still returns to the carbon cycle way quicker than plastic does.
Also this comment seems like it could be quite risque: "Lips have been a waste-free alternative to straws for millions of years."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Noxville posted:

This kind of still feels better, though. Paper is biodegradable and made from renewable resources, whereas plastic is neither, and let's be honest it's not like even 1% of McD's straws were recycled anyway, even if they were recyclable.

Or like straws make the slightest bit of difference in the grand scheme of McDonalds' environmental impact, compared to mass deforestation to grow farting cows, or distribution chains, or the power used to air condition all their restaurants, or... etc.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh and get rid of all the loving guns, for fucks sake.

Love the people who always pop out of the woodwork to post "but then we'll just get mass knifings instead!"

And it's like, well, no, because those aren't really a thing, but even if they were nobody ever managed to kill anyone with a knife from the top of a clock tower. Contrary to what ninja anime would have you believe, it's not really possible to fatally pepper a crowd with daggers from a hundred yards away.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

well, about that...

Yeah after Guav posted the calibre connection it's like, what other number is connected with a famous gun size and also a terrible politician? :godwinning::gifttank:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The big problem with 'get rid of all the guns' in the US is that there are SO loving MANY OF THEM and getting rid of them requires the cooperation of the gun owners. It's functionally impossible to disarm the US population without their participation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thespaceinvader posted:

The big problem with 'get rid of all the guns' in the US is that there are SO loving MANY OF THEM and getting rid of them requires the cooperation of the gun owners. It's functionally impossible to disarm the US population without their participation.

Stop production of new guns/parts and quietly replace all the bullets with trick ones that have too much powder in and are guaranteed to explode the gun when fired.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Love the people who always pop out of the woodwork to post "but then we'll just get mass knifings instead!"

And it's like, well, no, because those aren't really a thing, but even if they were nobody ever managed to kill anyone with a knife from the top of a clock tower. Contrary to what ninja anime would have you believe, it's not really possible to fatally pepper a crowd with daggers from a hundred yards away.

Remember the London Bridge attack, a seemingly very organised and well planned attack where three people managed to stab... 8 people to death.

As opposed to "one half-assed lone gunman" regularly hitting double digit death tolls.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

who would win:

the entire US military vs. redneck steve and his 40 gun collection

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

who would win:

I'm pretty OK with testing that thesis.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've often thought a largely uninterrupted North-South strip of wild land would be amazing. Cool I'm not the only one.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tesseraction posted:

who would win:

The US military would to a large degree side with redneck steve.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

Ultimately none of it matters because until there's enough elected officials and states will to repeal the second amendment all they are doing is fidgeting in the margins.

(This isn't happening)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 5, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Cool, cool, there's a nice new hostile environment policy. This time for filthy Europeans, there to scrounge on proud UK benefits:

quote:

EU citizens are being made homeless and destitute after being turned down for universal credit despite having the legal right to reside in the UK, in what critics are calling the benefit system’s very own “hostile environment”.

Ministers are being urged to review “unfair practices” after law centres and welfare advisers reported a surge in cases in which EU nationals without UK citizenship have ended up in debt or sleeping rough because of incorrect decisions to refuse their application for universal credit that cut off their benefits overnight.

Claimants who challenge the decision typically have to wait up to 40 weeks for an appeal hearing. Welfare advisers say they win their the appeal in almost all cases, resulting in back payments of thousands of pounds.

However, during the wait for an appeal claimants struggle to pay rent as the claim for universal credit automatically ends previous awards, including housing benefit. With zero income, they experience stress, eviction and debt, and rely on family loans and food banks to survive.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/aug/05/surge-in-eu-citizens-unfairly-refused-access-to-universal-credit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd also much rather be stabbed than shot as I'm more likely to recover from a 1mm by 30mm hole 4cm deep in my chest than god knows how wide after impact break-up bullet hole in the same place, especially if the fucker has hollow-point rounds.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Ultimately none of it matters because until there's enough elected officials and states will to repeal the second amendment all they are doing is fidgeting in the margins.

I mean, yeah.

Tesseraction posted:

who would win:

Why the gently caress would the US military be fighting itself?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

^ --- v

His Divine Shadow posted:

The US military would to a large degree side with redneck steve.

just tell them he voted obama and watch them kill every dog in a 6 mile radius just in case

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

A great idea, given its done right. Referring to my earlier post;

Ratjaculation posted:

I'll make half an effort post about mass tree planting and why even a good thing has consequence if not done right...

So if you think of humans, our genetic differences are really visible like being a ginger with a huge donger, or a shortie, or a baldie. Plants have this too, even that ancient oak outside your local greggs has a unique genetics that have developed over thousands of years to be explicitly beneficial for the habitat of that individual (before it was concreted over). The issue is that due to anthropological activity, we've created ecological islands. Look at your favourite woodland on Google maps, zoom out a bit and you'll see its likely separated from any other woodland system by a few miles of farms, cities or other urbanisation Even though pollinators can move a fair bit, they rarely cross these voids. So these 'islands' have a very limited genetic diversity.

Seed and sapling nurseries almost always have extremely limited diversity too, with all baby trees only coming from a handful of individuals.

So when you plant these limited inbred trees across huge areas you are essentially undoing thousands of years of the trees naturally adapting to these environments.

You are also putting out an extremely limited diversity, that poses massive risks for disease. If you look at the current issue with ash dieback, it's real loving bad. It's potentially going to affect every single ash tree in the country, and it seems that less than 1% of ash have a natural resistance (from their localisation adaptions). If you spread a huge amount of ash trees from a single source across the country, and they mix with the local groups, you risk having a monogenetic system that could be entirely vulnerable to external forces.

There is no simple fix, other than trying to strengthen existing populations and using local seeds to expand habitats and create green corridors for genetics to pass through. It's why things like ancient hedgerows are so incredibly important in the UK.

also good luck purchasing that land

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 5, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Junior G-man posted:

I'm pretty OK with testing that thesis.
Whoever loses, we win.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Sanford posted:

Nice cadderppliers - painted ladies? And whhhyyyy?

Yep! There's a site that sells them along with food and a net-cage thing to put the cocoons in so they can develop safely.

It's like a very low-maintenance aquarium, they're very relaxing to watch just doing their thing, and I find it interesting to see the butterflies close up at that stage in their development; not likely to see butterflies emerging in the wild, after all. I'm in a semi-rural area so there's lots of food for them after release. Also, they're fuzzy, both as caterpillars and butterflies :3:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nails otoh...

I agree with Clemente that in these particular cases gun control shouldn't be the first thing we talk about.

Maybe talk about it in all the street violence in American cities instead of talking about "feral thugs", or talk about it when someone with a dozen domestic violence charges shoots their partner, or when someone gets shot by a toddler, or when there's another school shooting, but in these white nationalist terrorist attacks gun control isn't the first thing we should be talking about.

Not only because there's a huge difference between these internet radicalized terrorists and the guy that gets sacked and shoots up his office, in that the former is usually extremely online and planning for months, and you can build a bomb or intricately plan an arson attack where you block exits or just (in Texas) hire a 13 ton truck on a normal driver's license and plow it into a crowd if you want, but most importantly because a lot of centrist US sources are talking about it specifically to avoid having to talk about the undercurrent of toxic white male rage in the US (and the general West) and how to directly address that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ratjaculation posted:

A great idea, given its done right. Referring to my earlier post;

also good luck purchasing that land

So if I'm reading you right, the thing to do if you want a big forest is expand existing copses until they join up?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Nails otoh...

I agree with Clemente that in these particular cases gun control shouldn't be the first thing we talk about.

Maybe talk about it in all the street violence in American cities instead of talking about "feral thugs", or talk about it when someone with a dozen domestic violence charges shoots their partner, or when someone gets shot by a toddler, or when there's another school shooting, but in these white nationalist terrorist attacks gun control isn't the first thing we should be talking about.

Not only because there's a huge difference between these internet radicalized terrorists and the guy that gets sacked and shoots up his office, in that the former is usually extremely online and planning for months, and you can build a bomb or intricately plan an arson attack where you block exits or just (in Texas) hire a 13 ton truck on a normal driver's license and plow it into a crowd if you want, but most importantly because a lot of centrist US sources are talking about it specifically to avoid having to talk about the undercurrent of toxic white male rage in the US (and the general West) and how to directly address that.

Why not both tho? Address the guns AND the assholes using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

So if I'm reading you right, the thing to do if you want a big forest is expand existing copses until they join up?

Yeah there was a huge push about ten years ago in the Netherlands to join up all the 'biodiversity islands' (national parks, Natura 2000 etc) with either protected corridors, protected farmland measures or 'lilly pads' that would allow species to transit from one area to the next in order to create more linked biodiversity and species diversity.

It was almost a go but then the government changed hands and the loving liberals torched it because 'business might have a thing'. My dad was closely involved in putting the whole thing together and it was a huge blow when it fell apart.