Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/122/page/1

Study time! Would you look at that! A good Miharu chapter!
This was the first time I actually liked Miharu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mulderman posted:

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/122/page/1

Study time! Would you look at that! A good Miharu chapter!
This was the first time I actually liked Miharu.

First page: Patissierie Onodera

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I completely missed that!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
All Miharu chapters are good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this latest chapter of jujutsu kaisen was pretty bad and I still have no idea what the point of this flashback is supposed to be

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This whole flashback is baffling to me in how it was executed.

We basically just smash-cut to the flashback. I mean, clearly it's important because you see Mr. Prime Antagonist was a student with Gojo- so this could explain a lot of stuff as to how he became the primary antagonist and why Gojo despises the current system so much. But the transition and how it plays out is so jarring it's more confusing than anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Like isn't this the entire point of an editor

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So thanks for the responses to my earlier question but I have found some solid numbers about manga sales in France! It's hardly super conclusive given it's only one country and not taking into account anime but it's actual hard data
https://www.reddit.com/r/fairytail/comments/clyoyb/2018_french_manga_sales_fairy_tail_was_2/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

quote:

General Overview

16.6 million volumes were sold in France last year which is a 11.1% increase compared to 2017. It is an all-time high for manga sales in France, smashing the peak of 2008 which was 15.1 million. Manga accounts for 38% of all comics sold in France. In terms of releases, 1693 volumes were published in 2018, which is a slight decrease compared to the previous year (1700 in 2017).

Best-selling series in 2018

[Note : the article gives sales in marketshare(volumes) for some reason. The sales numbers given below are calculated from these and are rounded to the nearest thousand. This source also lumps together spin-offs/sequels with the main series]

One Piece. 7.4% marketshare. 1.228 million volumes sold.

Fairy Tail. 5.3% marketshare. 880k volumes sold.

My Hero Academia. 4.3% marketshare. 714k volumes sold

Dragon Ball incl. Super. 4.1% marketshare. 681k volumes sold

Naruto & Boruto. 3.3% marketshare. 548k volumes sold

One Punch Man. 3.1% marketshare. 514k volumes sold

Tokyo Ghoul & :Re. 2.6% marketshare. 432k volumes sold

Shingeki no Kyojin. 2.3% marketshare. 382k volumes sold

Assassination Classroom. 2% marketshare. 332k volumes sold

Berserk. 1.7% marketshare. 282k volumes sold

The Promised Neverland. 1.5% marketshare. 249k volumes sold

Black Clover. 1.5% marketshare. 249k volumes sold

Nanatsu no Taizai. 1.3% marketshare. 216k volumes sold

There's really not much to say about this ranking. One Piece is still king while Fairy Tail is in second spot. The inclusion of the Promised Neverland is nice but expected. Berserk still manages to sell despite having only 1 volume released that year and no deluxe edition coming unlike in NA. My Hero Academia continues to have great YoY growth. Assassination Classroom also saw some growth even though it ended in mid-2018 in France. The article notes that the top 10 series accounts for 36% of all manga sales while it accounted for half in 2014. However what I think is the most interesting part of this article is the launch ranking.

Launch ranking [Best-selling Volume 1 of new series released in 2018]

[The article only gives exact figures for the spots 2 to 5. All spots below 5 are in the 10k-20k ballpark while the figure for the Promised Neverland can be found here]

The Promised Neverland. 72k

Black Torch. 38k

Witch Hat Atelier. 35k

Edens Zero. 35k

Dr. Stone. 30k

Oukoku no Moriarty

The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story by Marie Kondo

Fairy Tail S

Goblin Slayer

Origin

At the Mountains of Madness

Made in Abyss

Koro Quest[Assassination Classroom Spin-off]

Fruits Baskets Another

Wotakoi

Final Fantasy Lost Stranger[Final Fantasy Isekai]

Beyond the Clouds

No Game No Life

Kingdom

Shingeki no Kyojin-No Regrets Full Color Edition

The Promised Neverland had a great launch, on par with OPM and MHA and dominated this ranking. Black Torch somehow managed to get the 2nd spot, surprising everybody including its publisher. With these kind of numbers, I think there are more volumes sold in France than in Japan which is kinda weird when I think about it. For Witch Hat Atelier, its publisher promoted it quite effectively, with a collector's edition since volume 1 (the Japanese only got it from volume 2 onwards). It also couldn't stop getting manga awards in France. Edens Zero was always sure to sell big in France, Fairy Tail being what it is. Dr. Stone has strong sales as expected for a new big Shonen Jump property. For the rest of the list, I'm pleasantly surprised that Origin and Wotakoi are that high on this list (and that Boichi to have two of his manga in the Top 10). Kingdom was finally licensed in France and it managed to get in this ranking, which is somewhat surprising since it is distributed by a small publisher and that Kingdom is not as popular in the French scanlation scene as in the English one (although it was still popular and had a devoted fanbase, just a bit less than in the English scene). At the Mountains of Madness also exceeded everyone's expectations since it is a pricier release and launched in October. Beyond the Clouds spot is maybe a bit underwhelming for its publisher, considering that they promoted quite heavely this original creation[manga made by a Japanese author directly for the French market].

All in all, it was a great year for manga in France. 2019 is shaping to be even better since 1st quarter shows an 11.4% growth in volume and a 13.3% in value compared to last year. For those who are curious about the French market, I really recommand people to read the source since it goes in more detail about current trends in the French market (if you have a good grasp of French of course, otherwise use deepl, Google Translate or whatever online translation service you like)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Somebody should translate the mountains of madness story again because the artist is gorgeous

id rather read their adaptions than the original lovecraft stories

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What are you doing buying Fairy Tail ouiaboos?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

France confirmed to have poo poo base-level taste. :colbert:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Grouchio posted:

The poo poo they license is sooooooooo much better than what we get in America

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Grouchio posted:

French Wines and Cheese didn't tip you off earlier?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

French Wines and Cheese didn't tip you off earlier?
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt to offset their lovely foreign policy :colbert:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Yea One Piece is too high and Fairy Tail is too low.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I enjoy both OP and FT, I got no problem with this ranking.

Mostly I'm just surprised that:
1. One Piece is #1 in a Western country. I've always thought that its insane popularity was a Japanese exclusive phenomenon. I'm sure we all remember the days of the Big Three and how, while OP always reigned supreme in Japan, Naruto was bigger here and Bleach was probably bigger, too.

2. My Hero Academia is in third place behind Fairy Tail. Again, I like both series but I figured MHA was the new Naruto and certainly wouldn't lose to aseries that's been over for two years.

I guess France just really likes Mashima. Edens Zero is doing well there, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
france loves titties and casual adventures

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

france loves titties and casual adventures

Maybe we're not so different after all. :unsmith:

NikkolasKing posted:

To be fair, I'm enjoying Edens Zero a lot so far as well. It's such a lighthearted read, I hope it keeps this tone and doesn't suddenly go al "serious" on me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

To be fair, I'm enjoying Edens Zero a lot so far as well. It's such a lighthearted read, I hope it keeps this tone and doesn't suddenly go al "serious" on me.

I've thought about getting into it after I finish with FT but I figured I might try Rave Master first.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

NikkolasKing posted:

As I enjoy both OP and FT, I got no problem with this ranking.

Mostly I'm just surprised that:
1. One Piece is #1 in a Western country. I've always thought that its insane popularity was a Japanese exclusive phenomenon. I'm sure we all remember the days of the Big Three and how, while OP always reigned supreme in Japan, Naruto was bigger here and Bleach was probably bigger, too.

2. My Hero Academia is in third place behind Fairy Tail. Again, I like both series but I figured MHA was the new Naruto and certainly wouldn't lose to aseries that's been over for two years.

I believe the only reason that One Piece is not as popular in the US, is because they kept on loving up the official release of the anime. First, the 4kids dub, and then Toonami starting on the Enies Lobby arc instead of the beginning which explains who the characters are and why you should care about them.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Also the anime is absolute trash 90% of the time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I will never understand how One Piece got as popular as it is when the protagonist's special power is weaponizing increasingly disturbing body horror and almost every other character dips into that well too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's good OP

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Zore posted:

I will never understand how One Piece got as popular as it is when the protagonist's special power is weaponizing increasingly disturbing body horror and almost every other character dips into that well too.

Because it really doesn't do that.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, weaponised body horror is more like Chainsawman. Which is good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

it's less body horror and more body comedy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I believe the only reason that One Piece is not as popular in the US, is because they kept on loving up the official release of the anime. First, the 4kids dub, and then Toonami starting on the Enies Lobby arc instead of the beginning which explains who the characters are and why you should care about them.

Oh wow, I never knew about that second part. That does really suck, especially since EL is the second half of a subplot and you need to see Water 7 to understand or care about any of it.

Zore posted:

Well MHA is really popular and the first two seasons consist of the main character, a child, constantly breaking his bones every time he uses his power. I imagine it's even more gruesome in the manga. The anime tones it down as best as it can but it's still hosed up if you think about it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Mulderman posted:

Because it really doesn't do that.
Vanilla Luffy, no, but Gear Four Luffy is oddly hideous.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh wow, I never knew about that second part. That does really suck, especially since EL is the second half of a subplot and you need to see Water 7 to understand or care about any of it.

They did show Water 7

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Well MHA is really popular and the first two seasons consist of the main character, a child, constantly breaking his bones every time he uses his power. I imagine it's even more gruesome in the manga. The anime tones it down as best as it can but it's still hosed up if you think about it.
i stopped watching hunter x hunter after the episode where the 12 year old protagonist gets the vomit beaten out of him while everyone watches. i've heard nothing but praise for the show from people who watched it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

i stopped watching hunter x hunter after the episode where the 12 year old protagonist gets the vomit beaten out of him while everyone watches. i've heard nothing but praise for the show from people who watched it

I mean that's no worse than what happens in naruto

dbz does similar things with gohan and he's 4 at the start of that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean that's no worse than what happens in naruto

dbz does similar things with gohan and he's 4 at the start of that

I gotta admit, I don't think I've seen any more recent series where five-year-olds get their necks broken. Probably a good thing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 6, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

They did, Toonami restarted One Piece at the Davy Back Fights since that was when the aspect ratio changed happen.

Toonami did hype up Enies Lobbies I think right after they step off the train and then a not too long after that everything stops so each of the Strawhats get their own clipshow episode and it's like 5 episodes straight/a whole month. I mean that solves the explaining the characters problem I guess.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I... don't remember this?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Vonnie posted:

I... don't remember this?
The super, super brief tourney match section at the end of the training arc. The one that Naruto ripped off and extended to 50+ chapters.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

The super, super brief tourney match section at the end of the training arc. The one that Naruto ripped off and extended to 50+ chapters.

I hear this a bit, but I don't see it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, that's a huge stretch lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's probably when they go to get killua after the exam

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jose posted:

It's probably when they go to get killua after the exam
It's right before that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8qFha-psk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zore posted:

One Piece has some legitimately strong opening arcs and maintained a really good streak of quality action, characters, and locations up until it's timeskip. At best the least interesting arcs would be places like Thriller Bark and Drum Kingdom but even those are still enjoyable if you ask me. Shuinsha also made OP into a marketting machine much like Dragon Ball was before, there used to be annual movies, there's a game out nearly every year for OP, the anime has been nonstop, and there's a poo poo ton of merchandise to back it up.

It doesn't hurt that One Piece is the kind of story where you can realistically jump in without having read the decades of stuff prior and unfortunately the main cast is largely static in personality and motivations so it remains very approachable for new readers. You can just hop on for the current Island with a tyrant that needs displacing and still enjoy yourself. The series also kept what seems like a good portion of it's early readers too since the last time I saw a poll, the majority of One Piece readers in japan are in their mid-late 20's to their 30's. I imagine that's the same in the western world since I also fall in with that age range.

As for Luffy's power, it's simple and easy with a cartoonish depiction. If this were another series like Kengan Ashura where there's a guy whose fighting technique revolves around stretching limbs it would be body horror.

Bad Seafood posted:

Vanilla Luffy, no, but Gear Four Luffy is oddly hideous.
It's the nonsensical haki tattoos and continuation of Oda drawing guys who skip leg day that make it look abysmal to me.