Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Renaissance Robot posted:

So if I'm reading you right, the thing to do if you want a big forest is expand existing copses until they join up?

pretty much, ecological island biogeography is a massive factor these days with the amount of anthropological impact.

We'd need to do a huge removal of invasive plants, and the forest would require intense human management, probably for the rest of time. It would be a massive project, and one that sadly covers only the tiniest percentage of a fraction of the forest that once covered this land.

and this

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah there was a huge push about ten years ago in the Netherlands to join up all the 'biodiversity islands' (national parks, Natura 2000 etc) with either protected corridors, protected farmland measures or 'lilly pads' that would allow species to transit from one area to the next in order to create more linked biodiversity and species diversity.

It was almost a go but then the government changed hands and the loving liberals torched it because 'business might have a thing'. My dad was closely involved in putting the whole thing together and it was a huge blow when it fell apart.
"Why do you hate the farmers"

will likely happen here, assuming this project isn't more than just a empty fart to make it look like they give a poo poo.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
The problem with McDonald's paper straws is that they just don't work. You can get about a third of the way through a milkshake before the straw loses its structure and closes up on itself.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah there was a huge push about ten years ago in the Netherlands to join up all the 'biodiversity islands' (national parks, Natura 2000 etc) with either protected corridors, protected farmland measures or 'lilly pads' that would allow species to transit from one area to the next in order to create more linked biodiversity and species diversity.

It was almost a go but then the government changed hands and the loving liberals torched it because 'business might have a thing'. My dad was closely involved in putting the whole thing together and it was a huge blow when it fell apart.

:smith:

at the same time, the Netherlands are still less of a fuckup compared to countries like Germany when it comes to conservation because what protected areas already exist are large enough to not totally go to poo poo in a few years.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

mediadave posted:

The problem with McDonald's paper straws is that they just don't work. You can get about a third of the way through a milkshake before the straw loses its structure and closes up on itself.

do you still get a plastic lid with your paper straw? seems a bit pointless.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Ratjaculation posted:

pretty much, ecological island biogeography is a massive factor these days with the amount of anthropological impact.

We'd need to do a huge removal of invasive plants, and the forest would require intense human management, probably for the rest of time. It would be a massive project, and one that sadly covers only the tiniest percentage of a fraction of the forest that once covered this land.

Good luck with the Japanese knotweed for starters. That poo poo is insane and nearly impossible to clean up.

And you'd need to do a bunch of forestry management but I don't think it would be that intense - you'd need to cut back appropriately and develop mixed forests, but that's all manageable. If climate change and the bugs & diseases it brings doesn't kill off all the trees before you start. Also the ideal starting point would be two decades ago.

Still worth doing though!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/05/centrist-mps-general-election-labour-tory-moderates

TIGCUK 2 Boogaloo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ratjaculation posted:

do you still get a plastic lid with your paper straw? seems a bit pointless.

The whole thing is a pointless distraction from the bigger issues they don't want to address, so

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Good luck with the Japanese knotweed for starters. That poo poo is insane and nearly impossible to clean up.

And you'd need to do a bunch of forestry management but I don't think it would be that intense - you'd need to cut back appropriately and develop mixed forests, but that's all manageable. If climate change and the bugs & diseases it brings doesn't kill off all the trees before you start. Also the ideal starting point would be two decades ago.

Still worth doing though!

some of the forests i work at where they are shifting plantation to native, those are 200 year projects.

yeah invasive control is my primary field, but there is hope developing. Things like rootwave are probably going to make it a lot simpler than removing 7m of soil in each direction.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

"Why do you hate the farmers"

will likely happen here, assuming this project isn't more than just a empty fart to make it look like they give a poo poo.

I dunno, i think a lot of UK farmers would generally be ok with 'farming nature' as long as the rewards are there for it. The National Trust already does this with most of the farms they manage. You'd just exchange animals (losing money anyway) or arable crops (precarious) for doing a lot of tree and pasture management. Lots of the young farmers I know would love to, but DEFRA isn't in any shape to do it now, and it's been mismanaged for 10 years by the goddamn Tories.

The problem is that in the UK, and in the EU overall, we need to get rid of a whole generation of farmers who started in the 1970s, are still there, and have no reason to quit because they have no pension, unless they're willing to sell the land to a developer. They're overall not the worst people, they're just stuck in old, old ways of farming and attitudes to nature that are nearly impossible to dislodge.

Add to that that farming overall is still under the EU minimum wage and you don't have a recipe for sustainable land management.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 5, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Kate Meltby

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Goddamn that is some weapons grade, A** brainworms. That's amazing.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

I dunno, i think a lot of UK farmers would generally be ok with 'farming nature' as long as the rewards are there for it. The National Trust already does this with most of the farms they manage. You'd just exchange animals (losing money anyway) or arable crops (precarious) for doing a lot of tree and pasture management. Lots of the young farmers I know would love to, but DEFRA isn't in any shape to do it now, and it's been mismanaged for 10 years by the goddamn Tories.

in my experience the NT does not get along with many of its tenant farmers, or have stringent and strict agreements. On dartmoor, we had one who just went out and swaled massive areas of common land on his own initiative just a few weeks ago.

They need massive subsidies before they even put tiny borders on their fields, I don't have hopes that most farmers give a poo poo. Young farmers and small holdings could improve things but we'll see.

I imagine farmers would either lease or sell the land for a protected area, before troubling themselves with the statory requirements of managing that land.

Its a lot of variables, but ultimately I hope such a project does happen.

E: just saw your edit, and yup I do agree.
We need to boost mixed farming alongside conservation, further than CAP, etc. We also need to stop selling cheese for £3 and only giving the farmer 30p.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 5, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/1158345317416407040?s=21

John's going loud about Sajid's shady bullshit at Deutsche.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

in my experience the NT does not get along with many of its tenant farmers, or have stringent and strict agreements. On dartmoor, we had one who just went out and swaled massive areas of common land on his own initiative just a few weeks ago.

They need massive subsidies before they even put tiny borders on their fields, I don't have hopes that most farmers give a poo poo. Young farmers and small holdings could improve things but we'll see.

I imagine farmers would either lease or sell the land for a protected area, before troubling themselves with the statory requirements of managing that land.

In my experience it's been that the rewards for nature conservation really haven't been there yet. Yes there's subsidies, but only a max of 30% are directly designated for nature protection, and an even lesser fraction is designed for the semi-mandatory 3-5% of arable land that's supposed to be set-aside for nature (unless you're a young farmer, an old farmer, a farmer with less than 40ha and so on and so on).

Farmers, I think wrongly, see the subsidies as part of their basic income, not as a reward for doing nature work; it's the logical consequence of an old farming population that's used to having it exactly like that, and overall low incomes. Most UK and EU farmers wouldn't survive without the subsidies anyway. I'd be super ok with them leasing tenanting the land away for others to do nature protection on it, but you'd have to set 20-30 year contracts to develop long-term biodiversity projects, and stipulate that they couldn't be destroyed on reversal of the contract.

I don't think smallholding is the way to go; I know it's talked up a big game and there's a number of good test cases out there, but too many of them don't have good land management skills and will seek to maximalise their returns per ha. because they need to survive (unless the wife/husband is the local dentist or something.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Renaissance Robot posted:

So if I'm reading you right, the thing to do if you want a big forest is expand existing copses until they join up?

Read that as “expand existing corpses” and thought the tories were finally doing environmental good through their policies.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

in my experience the NT does not get along with many of its tenant farmers, or have stringent and strict agreements.

Yeah, I've heard those stories too and spoken to a few of them. It's a 50/50 on whether or not the farmer really understood what he/she was getting into, or it was NT management-from-a-distance that drove the farmers mad. It's usually a mix of the two that cause those things to go wrong.

I was heavily involved in a really big LIFE restoration project with farmers and foresters in Belgium to restore watercourses and quality, and that basically came about because the farmers and local government got really tired of paying the lawyers to fight in court and decided to see if this collaboration joke really worked. Still, a bunch of them signed up and the results have been super positive, in terms of both economy and ecology, but it took years of negotiation before the first diggers arrived on site.

However, they were still grumpy when they found that the contracts they signed, and we highlighted and warned them about 100 times, that they had to keep the land in pristine condition for a minimum of 30 years after the project end. The problem here was that while there was EU and local funding for the project, there was a hair over zero for maintenance afterwards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/oliver_wright/status/1158340332356034561?s=21

lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

However, they were still grumpy when they found that the contracts they signed, and we highlighted and warned them about 100 times, that they had to keep the land in pristine condition for a minimum of 30 years after the project end. The problem here was that while there was EU and local funding for the project, there was a hair over zero for maintenance afterwards.

This is a problem with grant programs everywhere, and people need to stop pretending that a few years of ~competitively awarded~ funding is a substitute for just paying to maintain poo poo as part of the base budget (I'd argue that as far as national/EU budgets go the environment is just infrastructure that's hard to rebuild after it falls apart).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Can't even shake the magic money tree right

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

This is a problem with grant programs everywhere, and people need to stop pretending that a few years of ~competitively awarded~ funding is a substitute for just paying to maintain poo poo as part of the base budget (I'd argue that as far as national/EU budgets go the environment is just infrastructure that's hard to rebuild after it falls apart).

Yeah, the maintenance of projects post-grants time is really difficult to get funding for because there's no more shiny results and things to put in excel tables anymore. The internet is just littered with a million non-functioning program websites and massively underused databases that were all created as part of EU project funding, but are completely atrophied from lack of funding and therefore use afterwards. The Commission usually just says something like 'well it's up to local entity X to take care', but those guys have smaller budgets every day as well.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah, the maintenance of projects post-grants time is really difficult to get funding for because there's no more shiny results and things to put in excel tables anymore. The internet is just littered with a million non-functioning program websites and massively underused databases that were all created as part of EU project funding, but are completely atrophied from lack of funding and therefore use afterwards. The Commission usually just says something like 'well it's up to local entity X to take care', but those guys have smaller budgets every day as well.

This poo poo happens absolutely everywhere, in my bubble things like ImageJ development and maintenance (the software that controls roughly 99.9% of microscopes in biology including cells and cancer research) get defunded and have to beg for money from a different funder all the time, and a major ecology project I was peripherally involved in only escaped slow post-funding period death because China took it over.

Would incorporating everyone necessary for the maintenance functions and becoming a contractor work :v:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Would incorporating everyone necessary for the maintenance functions and becoming a contractor work :v:

Not in the EU case because the programs are usually designed to fall roughly in line with the seven-year budget cycles, so you can't create an open-ended 'EU pays 50% maintenance costs' clause. They're getting a lot better at demanding that the counterparties have both a practical and a budget plan for the next 20 years, but that's always one austerity budget or change in (local) government away from being hacked apart.c

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/1158345317416407040?s=21

John's going loud about Sajid's shady bullshit at Deutsche.

WHY IS THE LEFT ATTACKING PEOPLE OF COLOUR screams the Mail as it gradually shrinks and turns into a corncob

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Trying to be positive, I think things are moving in the right direction in regard to land management, though a lot of it will be down to what form whatever replaces the current subsidies system takes.

I'm involved in a major project/study on Dartmoor looking at Natural Flood Management, and we're hearing some positive stuff from farmers there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Red Oktober posted:

I suspect he loves 45 as it reminds him he’s in a very exclusive group of only 44 people who have been among the most powerful people in the world.

The one thing he craves more than anything is that recognition.

No, he doesn't care about any of the others and in at least one case is determined to make sure they never existed. The only thing a narcissist cares about is himself. Reducing him to a number and acting like he was never president will infuriate him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Very interesting article for all the smelly goons itt who don't wash

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/aug/05/i-dont-smell-meet-the-people-who-have-stopped-washing

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Not in the EU case because the programs are usually designed to fall roughly in line with the seven-year budget cycles, so you can't create an open-ended 'EU pays 50% maintenance costs' clause. They're getting a lot better at demanding that the counterparties have both a practical and a budget plan for the next 20 years, but that's always one austerity budget or change in (local) government away from being hacked apart.c

Within the UK, at least for research grants, the trick right now is to inflate your overhead rates to supplement the base budget. One of my colleagues works at a university where they straight up tell you that 1) you get X% of the overhead paid back into your account as unrestricted funding and 2) you should apply for the most expensive grants possible.

Of course, this only works if you expect to get grants regularly across your funding unit.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 5, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

I use my hands to scrub myself and get any grime off, but I’m sitting in court or at my desk most days, so it’s not like I’m getting bombarded with filth.
:crossarms:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Computer touchers, rejoice.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Roblo posted:

Trying to be positive, I think things are moving in the right direction in regard to land management, though a lot of it will be down to what form whatever replaces the current subsidies system takes.

I'm involved in a major project/study on Dartmoor looking at Natural Flood Management, and we're hearing some positive stuff from farmers there.

Yeah, you could really do some interesting stuff in a post-Common Agricultural Policy world and really design it from the ground up to protect climate and nature - I've always liked http://www.risefoundation.eu/projects/cap-thinking-outside-the-box; sort of a 5-tiered system where all land managers who get subsidies have to do basic stuff, and tier 5 would basically be 'farming for nature'.

However - like I said before - DEFRA is an understaffed hellhole that hasn't been forcefully led in ten years because the Tories don't give a gently caress.

Flood management is really good though, and also an easier sell because it's soooooo much cheaper to do upstream land management practices than build giant dams and barriers downstream.

Within the UK, at least for research grants, the trick right now is to inflate your overhead rates to supplement the base budget. One of my colleagues works at a university where they straight up tell you that 1) you get X% of the overhead paid back into your account as unrestricted funding and 2) you should apply for the most expensive grants possible.

Of course, this only works if you expect to get grants regularly across your funding unit.

Hahaha yeah, the amount of giant overheads and phantom staff members that get added into projects is hilarious. Mine had at least two ghost employees and max overhead fuckery to ensure that the whole thing was financially viable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Computer touchers, rejoice.

Computer touchers, notorious for their clean hygiene :thunkher:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1157471146394230786?s=20

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gonna go ahead and interpret "I don't smell" as "I stink so bad my nose stopped working and people around me are too polite to mention it"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You have to windmill your dick as well.

This unfortunately explains partway the gender pay gap.

But it's nothing that science can't solve, I long for the xenofeminist future where everyone except Graham Linehan has half a dozen autowindmilling dicks and it doesn't define their gender. :science:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

But it's nothing that science can't solve, I long for the xenofeminist future where everyone except Graham Linehan has half a dozen autowindmilling dicks and it doesn't define their gender. :science:

Would their rotation be able to lift people up and take them to work like a personal dick helicopter? Because then we'd solve our transport issues too.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Would their rotation be able to lift people up and take them to work like a personal dick helicopter? Because then we'd solve our transport issues too.

Ahem. I define my position on gender identity by strongly opposing the existence concept of penises.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rarity posted:

Computer touchers, notorious for their clean hygiene :thunkher:

Any form of hygiene is acceptable as long as it doesn't involve water and soap.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Ahem. I define my position on gender identity by strongly opposing the existence concept of penises.

Hang glider vaginas also ok. Also other forms of transport-efficient genital apparatus. Didn't mean to make it a patriarchal thing, apologies.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Hahaha yeah, the amount of giant overheads and phantom staff members that get added into projects is hilarious. Mine had at least two ghost employees and max overhead fuckery to ensure that the whole thing was financially viable.

Don't forget multiple large pieces of equipment split up into 2-3 units slightly below the research council consumables threshold, as well as 15% professor time and promoting the technician to research assistant to make up for the one large piece of equipment you couldn't split :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Hang glider vaginas also ok. Also other forms of transport-efficient genital apparatus. Didn't mean to make it a patriarchal thing, apologies.

I was building up to a TERF impression but that works too