Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I guess there's no way to have Google Assistant localised to Australia where I am but still understand my west coast "American" accent like it did perfectly when I didn't have it set to Australia?

Like it's helping me understand the way Aussie suburbs and other things are pronounced but voice to text is noticeably worse and I have hand pain so I rely on it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Wife's pixel 2 is stuck in a boot loop, and I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it. I can get to the menu to select recovery mode, but that just starts up the boot loop again.

I searched all over for an answer, and the consensus seems to be that it's bricked. hosed mobo or something. Bought it refurbished maybe a year ago. Time to scour Amazon to see if it has a warranty.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I guess there's no way to have Google Assistant localised to Australia where I am but still understand my west coast "American" accent like it did perfectly when I didn't have it set to Australia?

Like it's helping me understand the way Aussie suburbs and other things are pronounced but voice to text is noticeably worse and I have hand pain so I rely on it a lot.

Just learn how to talk like an Aussie. Oi oi mate throw some shrimp on the barbie

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just learn how to talk like an Aussie. Oi oi mate throw some shrimp on the barbie

yeah nah we dont talk like that hey, you need to drawl more and pick up some phrases that people actually use like we're not here to gently caress spiders.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I actually had an Aussie accent as a child but I've got a guy fixing my toilet right now and I can barely understand him. The more blue collar the worse it gets.

Also fun fact, Aussies never say shrimp, just prawn.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
I need to get a new phone, and I'm quite lost at whats good these days. Every brand has like 10 different models and there are several new brand names in the mix. Haven't bought a phone myself since.. I think a galaxy S6, since I usually get it from my work. It'd be nice if the price is tops 350-400 €

I managed to fully submerge my old one (Huawei P10) in water like a clown. I don't really want another Huawei since you can't root them anymore appearently.

Are there any new-ish Android phones that have decent performance, but none of this edge display stuff? I feel like it breaks much more easily, and i dont like having a 'notch' in my screen.I much prefer having a "border" around the display. Also I must be able to root the device. Extra plus is a detachable battery but I guess this is not really common anymore?

I don't care about plans or anything like that, I'm just buying a phone without any carrier blocks (i'm in EU)

I was looking at the Xiaomi Poco F1 but i've really never heard about this brand.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Outside of some budget phones you won't find any removable batteries anymore, that ship has long sailed. Standard bezels and headphone jack can still be found easily though.

Standard thread recommendations are the Pixel 3 or 3a, Oneplus 7, or the new Nokias (6, 7, 8). This will get you good hardware, and more or less stock Android with a good update policy.

As far as I've gathered the Poco is not a bad device, but as with all cheap chinese brands you will have trouble getting OS updates for more than a few months.

Lastly, don't bother with rooting, it's not worth it anymore outside of some fringe cases.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It's hard to see how the 3 is worth it over the 3a unless you're getting a good deal on the 3.

Is the 3A only available in 64GB? There is no 128GB option on the Fi Store. So if you're comparing just the 64GB versions, it's only $100 difference for wireless charging which is 100% worth it for me. I opted for the 128GB version of the 3 though which is $200 more :/

Definitely a much less compelling price, but no wireless charging is a deal breaker for me going forward.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

Outside of some budget phones you won't find any removable batteries anymore, that ship has long sailed. Standard bezels and headphone jack can still be found easily though.

Standard thread recommendations are the Pixel 3 or 3a, Oneplus 7, or the new Nokias (6, 7, 8). This will get you good hardware, and more or less stock Android with a good update policy.

As far as I've gathered the Poco is not a bad device, but as with all cheap chinese brands you will have trouble getting OS updates for more than a few months.

Lastly, don't bother with rooting, it's not worth it anymore outside of some fringe cases.

Thanks for the info. Nokias look interesting, they seem to be about half the price of Pixel 3 and Oneplus 7.

But why is rooting not worth it anymore? I like to be able to .. just off the top of my head.. install adblock, read my saved wifi passwords, modify/patch certain installed apps, backup app settings, maybe install a custom ROM if the stock one is annoying. Is it not worth it anymore because rooting is generally more difficult now, or because a lot of these features that used to require root can now be done without root?

I'm just a computer nerd and I dislike the idea of not having admin/root access to my own device.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

lonter posted:

Thanks for the info. Nokias look interesting, they seem to be about half the price of Pixel 3 and Oneplus 7.

But why is rooting not worth it anymore? I like to be able to .. just off the top of my head.. install adblock,

Get kiwi browser and install UBlock Origin, there is also a system wide open sourced blocker with a goofy name

quote:

read my saved wifi passwords, modify/patch certain installed apps, backup app settings, maybe install a custom ROM if the stock one is annoying. Is it not worth it anymore because rooting is generally more difficult now, or because a lot of these features that used to require root can now be done without root?

I'm just a computer nerd and I dislike the idea of not having admin/root access to my own device.

Most of what you want to do can be done without root. But knock yourself out if you want to carry the xda torch.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

tino posted:

Get kiwi browser and install UBlock Origin, there is also a system wide open sourced blocker with a goofy name

Blokada?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Any goons got reviews of this? I wish the whole ad blocking scene on Android didn't feel so shifty.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Not sure how they do it, but Adguard uses an on-device VPN. Clever, but not ideal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Any goons got reviews of this? I wish the whole ad blocking scene on Android didn't feel so shifty.

Have used Blokada for a long time, works great for mobile use.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Just editing the hosts-file seem to me to be the best way. It is simple, elegant, effective, and lightweight.. It works in all apps, not just the browser... But of course, if you want to use such a solution, you must be some kind of rabid torch carrying xda poster?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lonter posted:

But of course, if you want to use such a solution, you must be some kind of rabid torch carrying xda poster?

No, but it does mean you're in the ever-shrinking minority of users who will have to turn there if they need support. Like most of us very long time Nexus users I used to root and do things that way and really there just isn't a need now. Backup and restore works great without any user intervention and I've not missed ad blocking since going to Kiwi + uBlock Origin but I also pay for apps with survey Googlebucks so none of my third party apps have any ads.

Rooting means keeping up with all the hiding methods so you can use Google Pay and anything else that detects root, it means having to jump through (admittedly easy enough) hoops for updates, and it means wondering whenever things go wrong if you're the one who broke it. It doesn't mean you're some crazy fanatic but it does mean you've left the ranch.

Then of course there the fact that you're a self-described computer nerd who refuses to acknowledge the Computers 101 mantra that one should never use a device in the real world as root for the obvious security implications.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Have used Blokada for a long time, works great for mobile use.

Just tried this. I've got a lot more battery left over now on my Pixel 2 XL. Might be a placebo but I know ads can eat battery pretty bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I might have mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating, 30 watt charging is an absolute game changer and I really wish/hope that the P4 would take advantage of the 27w PD spec (9v@3a) and get close. I know google isn't going to do it and that the P4 will max out at 18w again like the Galaxy devices, but it's a shame.

Warp charging has completely changed how I manage power on my OP7P. I usually toss it on the charger for 10-15 minutes while I'm getting ready to head out the door and that usually puts me above 70-80% which lasts forever on that 4000 mah battery.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Around 3? years ago I just sort of gave up on rooting. Before that being able to use titanium to backup and restore app with app data was a huge deal. But nowadays I can't think of any app I use that rely on local app data.

Both pocketcast and viewranger have their own login so you can get back to your setting without backup.

Oh yeah I have this small app I have use for years called custom map that let you assign gps coordinates to any hiking pdf map so you can use it like gmap offline. It just save the data into a folder. I religiously backup the folder to dropbox and restore to every phone and tablet I use.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I might have mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating, 30 watt charging is an absolute game changer and I really wish/hope that the P4 would take advantage of the 27w PD spec (9v@3a) and get close. I know google isn't going to do it and that the P4 will max out at 18w again like the Galaxy devices, but it's a shame.

This'll be real useful once the battery stops easily lasting me an entire day.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

lonter posted:

I was looking at the Xiaomi Poco F1 but i've really never heard about this brand.

I've been using one since November last year, I didn't really like the stock software so I've put lineage on it which gets updated pretty regularly.

My only problem has been the camera software has always been pretty patchy, no matter if I've used gcam or whatever the stock lineage camera is. I don't use the camera, or care enough to look into it further. Your mileage may vary!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

No, but it does mean you're in the ever-shrinking minority of users who will have to turn there if they need support. Like most of us very long time Nexus users I used to root and do things that way and really there just isn't a need now. Backup and restore works great without any user intervention and I've not missed ad blocking since going to Kiwi + uBlock Origin but I also pay for apps with survey Googlebucks so none of my third party apps have any ads.
What do you use for syncing bookmarks between Kiwi and desktop Chrome, if at all?

I've used Netguard on my phone for a long time, but have disabled Netguard for a lot of apps because they will often not function due to the system wide blocking (mainly streaming apps).
My only reason for not switching to another phone browser is the lack of auto-sync of bookmarks, but I really miss uBlock Origin's elegant way of removing adds and the fact that you can create your own rules as well, like removing sections of pages that annoys you, without them being ads.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fart of Presto posted:

What do you use for syncing bookmarks between Kiwi and desktop Chrome, if at all?

I've used Netguard on my phone for a long time, but have disabled Netguard for a lot of apps because they will often not function due to the system wide blocking (mainly streaming apps).
My only reason for not switching to another phone browser is the lack of auto-sync of bookmarks, but I really miss uBlock Origin's elegant way of removing adds and the fact that you can create your own rules as well, like removing sections of pages that annoys you, without them being ads.

You could try switching wholesale to Firefox. The mobile version supports extensions so you can install uBlock no problem.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

hooah posted:

You could try switching wholesale to Firefox. The mobile version supports extensions so you can install uBlock no problem.
I tried that for a while, and I can't point to anything specific, but it really didn't click for me.
It's been a while though, so I might try it out again, but I still would like to know to handle bookmark sync :)

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Are antivirus/malware apps any useful on phones? I got a key for Malwarebytes that I haven't bothered to use yet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

I tried that for a while, and I can't point to anything specific, but it really didn't click for me.
It's been a while though, so I might try it out again, but I still would like to know to handle bookmark sync :)

Firefox Sync does bookmarks, tabs, logins and other browser data. It's pretty close to feeling like you're using the same instance, or at least two instances of the same browser installation. I often start reading an article on my laptop at home, then open the tab via sync on my phone and finish reading it while on the move. Sync can sometimes be a little bit slow or arbitrary, and bookmarks used to be more annoying because it made a big separation between mobile bookmarks and others. They still do, but now the separation is smaller so you just navigate to Desktop Bookmarks and go from there. Beyond that distinction, there is no management, no putting the bookmarks here or there or asking it to sync. But it's obviously a good idea to have a secure password on this sync account, preferably through a manager with some two-factor sprinkled on top.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm not the guy to ask, I only have five bookmarks so I just imported them. If I *have* to have something from the web I send it to Chrome using the now inbuilt Send Tab function (used to use Join for that).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is Huawei's Supercharge a proprietary technology? I wanted to buy a car charger for a family member.
Also am disappointed that my phone is Qualcomm quick charge 3.0 which is not compatible with USB PD... :X

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Charles posted:

Is Huawei's Supercharge a proprietary technology?

Yes, it's similar to the charging that OnePlus uses where the voltage stays at 5v and amperage increases (up to 6A in the case of Warp Charging). Anything past 3A @5V is outside of normal PD spec.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Charles posted:

Is Huawei's Supercharge a proprietary technology? I wanted to buy a car charger for a family member.

Yes, however recent Huawei phones are also QC2.0 compatible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Yes, it's similar to the charging that OnePlus uses where the voltage stays at 5v and amperage increases (up to 6A in the case of Warp Charging). Anything past 3A @5V is outside of normal PD spec.

Jeez, do USB-C cables have the ampacity for 6 amps? Even if they overbuilt the cable, it could get really hot at the socket since those pin dimensions can't be changed.

edit: I mean, if it wasn't safe I'm sure we'd have heard something by now, but I'd still love to see it on a thermal camera.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 7, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, my OP7P is about the coolest charging I've ever had.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I've never noticed my phone getting warm charging, but the charger does get a bit warm which lines up with articles saying that most of the heat is in the charger side. The pixel I had before got quite warm charging, but now I'm semi-convinced it's because there was some sort of short circuit as it now drains itself in under a day while turned off

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

I think it does go up to 9V.

grack posted:

Yes, however recent Huawei phones are also QC2.0 compatible.

OK, it's a P30 Lite, so probably. I'll get one of the Anker chargers with QC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Charles posted:

I think it does go up to 9V.

Actually, I was completely wrong about Supercharge.

It's 5v and 9v at 2A, but 10v at 4A.

Oppo actually goes up to 10A on 5V so clearly usb cables are capable of it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Actually, I was completely wrong about Supercharge.

It's 5v and 9v at 2A, but 10v at 4A.

Yeah, it is a lot safer to increased the voltage over the wire and step it back down at the phone, than it is to try to pump more amps over the wire.

I'm really tempted to get a OnePlus 7 Pro hearing all the goons praise it. Isn't this the same company that had like the OP5 with the screens installed upside-down and all sorts of other wacky issues? I guess they finally got their poo poo together?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zero VGS posted:

I'm really tempted to get a OnePlus 7 Pro hearing all the goons praise it. Isn't this the same company that had like the OP5 with the screens installed upside-down and all sorts of other wacky issues? I guess they finally got their poo poo together?

Granted, I've only had it for two months but so far it's tough to find faults in my OP7 Pro, it seems very well put together in both, hardware and software.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only issue I've had with mine is the oleophobic coating started degrading already. Admittedly, it may have been partially my fault as I was using it while at cardiac rehab and they had very strong wipes for the equipment there and I was going right from wiping down a machine to using the phone. So, it's possible whatever was on those wipes was strong enough to affect the coating. I've since coated the screen with one of those nano-ceramic coatings and it seems to have gotten things to the point where I really don't notice it. The phone is so drat fast though. Going back to the P3 for a little bit (because I got the itch for a smaller phone) was almost torture from a performance perspective.

In other news, the Note 10 will have 25w charging. So the ball's in your court Google, please give us something better than 18w charging on your next device.

Edit: Actually, the Note 10+ is capable of 45w charging (15v@3a). 25w is just the included charger.

15v@3a is one of the PD spec options, I wonder if it will actually negotiate that on USB-PD or if you need a proprietary charger. Android Police says USB-PD is good enough, but I'll be interested to see independent confirmation of that.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 7, 2019

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, it is a lot safer to increased the voltage over the wire and step it back down at the phone, than it is to try to pump more amps over the wire.

There are probably still issues. One that i've noticed is that the g-sensor/gyro/whatever is horrifically unstable, which is noticeable if you play something like niantic's harry potter game because your orientation will drift and/or shake when doing portkeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Incessant Excess posted:

Granted, I've only had it for two months but so far it's tough to find faults in my OP7 Pro, it seems very well put together in both, hardware and software.

poo poo, same on the 6T for me. Solid phone.