Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the feedback on that -- still seems pretty messed up. It's a non-issue now though, A$ap is supposed to be back in court in Sweden on 14AUG and I have a hard time seeing that happening.

Also: It'll likely be an ongoing political issue and might not be worth it for Sweden to push. I read this today: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-warned-sweden-negative-consequences-if-asap-rocky-wasn-n1038961

tl;dr the US threatened Sweden with fallout if they didn't release him.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
We used to have a partial murder defence here for provocation. It was introduced to give domestic violence victims a bit of leniency if they eventually killed their abuser, but what happened was that the abusers all started using it to justify killing their partners ("she was cheating on me and therefore provoked me!" "She just made me so mad by not doing what I wanted which was totally provocative!") Whoops.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Kimsemus posted:

Honestly though -- for every law firm that won't adopt programs for efficiency's sake, another firm will. A lot of the firms popping up now are boutique firms that rely on their focus and specialty over just amassing tons of hours to survive.

Clients are more value conscience now and they want to see what they're paying for. The tolerance for inefficiency will continue to decrease as time goes on.

That’s playing out at large firms, too. I regularly work on flat-fee cases, and we push everything possible to low billers or non-billers.

I think what ends up happening is that tech reduces the number of associates needed, but the people who make it through do more interesting stuff.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Lol euphronius hooked someone in the legal questions thread

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Yep I was probably dumb to take the bait and maybe there is some posting gimmick I'm not in on but jimmies were rustled.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Oh drat I forgot you read this one

That’s on me folks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s all good I won’t cross threads

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s been wild going from not knowing who kimsemus is, to seeing his name pop up in SA’s Greatest Sagas as a guy who defended a pedophile/teen groomer before completely walking it back (the sequence of events led up to forums methuselah Tokaii eating a perma), to seeing him here. Wild stuff.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
ArcheAge was a hell of a game :toot:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EwokEntourage posted:

Lol euphronius hooked someone in the legal questions thread

LAWYER FIGHT, LAWYER FIGHT

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice piece of fish posted:

LAWYER FIGHT, LAWYER FIGHT

Norwegians and Danes are exactly the same.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kimsemus posted:

Thanks for the feedback on that -- still seems pretty messed up. It's a non-issue now though, A$ap is supposed to be back in court in Sweden on 14AUG and I have a hard time seeing that happening.

Also: It'll likely be an ongoing political issue and might not be worth it for Sweden to push. I read this today: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-warned-sweden-negative-consequences-if-asap-rocky-wasn-n1038961

tl;dr the US threatened Sweden with fallout if they didn't release him.

Sweden is unlikely to give a gently caress, they don't have the same relationship with the US that the rest of scandi does, and they are some of the most arrogant jerks around. Like seriously, you can't tell them what to do.

That said, if Rocky doesn't show up for sentencing, prosecution appeals if they aren't happy, they may throw the book harder on in absentia appeal ( if they can).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Norwegians and Danes are exactly the same.

If you wake up tomorrow and your bike is gone, look for it in Spitsbergen.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I take that back. Danes have cheap(er) beer.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That only matters to poor people.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

EwokEntourage posted:

Hey fish boy, I know you’re not Swedish

Wait what

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have to pay my bar fees by the 15th or they add a $50 late fee. If I don’t pay by september 30 I’ll be listed as inactive and ineligible to practice.

I’m not sure if it’s worth it. I think I may just let it ride and see how job hunting is in over the next two months and see if it’s actually worthwhile to maintain. Worst case scenario, if I do want it the late fee isn’t too bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have to pay my bar fees by the 15th or they add a $50 late fee. If I don’t pay by september 30 I’ll be listed as inactive and ineligible to practice.

I’m not sure if it’s worth it. I think I may just let it ride and see how job hunting is in over the next two months and see if it’s actually worthwhile to maintain. Worst case scenario, if I do want it the late fee isn’t too bad.

Maybe call the bar and ask if you can go on inactive status.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’ve thought about this in the past and, depending on your state’s rules, if there’s even a percent chance you think you will use your license in the future it is much better to eat the cost.

Going inactive here still requires a $70-80 yearly fee. At least you save the professional tax, but you can only do this for five years. If you stay inactive longer than that you have to retake the bar. You also have to do CLEs for every year you were inactive. And reinstatement is discretionary, so it’s no guarantee even if you go inactive for only a year.

I’m not sure what happens if you get suspended for not paying your fees for many years in a row, but it’s likely a permanent suspension and treated like inactive status with no presumption of competence in your favor.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ve thought about this in the past and, depending on your state’s rules, if there’s even a percent chance you think you will use your license in the future it is much better to eat the cost.

Going inactive here still requires a $70-80 yearly fee. At least you save the professional tax, but you can only do this for five years. If you stay inactive longer than that you have to retake the bar. You also have to do CLEs for every year you were inactive. And reinstatement is discretionary, so it’s no guarantee even if you go inactive for only a year.

I’m not sure what happens if you get suspended for not paying your fees for many years in a row, but it’s likely a permanent suspension and treated like inactive status with no presumption of competence in your favor.

That seems really harsh...it kind of encourages attorneys to kind of "fake it" when it comes to practice though and just maintain their license even if they're not actively doing anything with it. Which is, I'm sure what the state bar wants, since 90% of what they are concerned with imo is collecting fees.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does your state have mandatory appointments for active bar members?

When I first got out of law school one of my big concerns was that I might get appointed to indigent cases before I managed to get a job lined up, both because I had no goddam clue what I was doing back then and because at the time at least such appointments were unpaid. I ended up getting appointed to represent a slate of random kids right after I got my clerkship -- which made me immune to the appointment, so I got out of it.

In retrospect I should've gone inactive while I job hunted then gone active again once I had something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can go inactive for $175/year, but I have to make that election before the 15th of this month. That means I’m done practicing sooner than just letting it go delinquent.

As far as CLEs go I have a few more years before I’m behind on anything.

I think the inactive option might be best, but it means I cannot try the case I’ve got a hearing on this Friday.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can go inactive for $175/year, but I have to make that election before the 15th of this month. That means I’m done practicing sooner than just letting it go delinquent.

As far as CLEs go I have a few more years before I’m behind on anything.

I think the inactive option might be best, but it means I cannot try the case I’ve got a hearing on this Friday.

Did you look into getting malpractice tail coverage if you are stopping . poo poo is expensive

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When I first got out of law school one of my big concerns was that I might get appointed to indigent cases before I managed to get a job lined up, both because I had no goddam clue what I was doing back then and because at the time at least such appointments were unpaid. I ended up getting appointed to represent a slate of random kids right after I got my clerkship -- which made me immune to the appointment, so I got out of it.

In retrospect I should've gone inactive while I job hunted then gone active again once I had something.

My state has laws like this, but they have some pretty generous carve-outs for things like lack of experience, undue hardship, financial inability to take the case, stuff like that. I've never seen a judge not grant for those reasons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

Did you look into getting malpractice tail coverage if you are stopping . poo poo is expensive

I’m not practicing as a solo and have no obligations to any clients.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In pa the court pays you for appointments which is nice.

PD conflict contract is worth 60k a year or was a few years ago.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah in retrospect I should've have been worried but at the time I was.

Since then my state supreme court issued a ruling saying that unpaid appointments were unconstitutional under the takings clause, so they're paid now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, so you become a practicing lawyer and then all of a sudden you can just be ordered to take on cases whether it's your area of law or not or you have any idea what you're doing?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait, so you become a practicing lawyer and then all of a sudden you can just be ordered to take on cases whether it's your area of law or not or you have any idea what you're doing?

Under the MPC you're not supposed to, but I guess a court can make you if they want?

The last time I was in a courtroom was when I swore in so I don't know.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So does the government pay your malpractice insurance? Because I would frankly tell them to get hosed.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
We should just rename the Legal Questions thread to the Thread Where People Announce They Do Anal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Organza Quiz posted:

Different states have different rules but yeah, that's how it was when I first passed the bar in my state. There was a division between criminal and civil cases, only criminal attorneys could be appointed to criminal cases, but anybody could be appointed to civil cases where there was a right to have an attorney appointed (i.e., family court juvenile detention proceedings, mental health commitments, etc.) These were also unpaid and the official rationale was that serving a certain number of appointed cases was, in effect, part of the licensing fee for having a law license.There are also a host of exceptions and I've never actually had to take an appointed case because I've always been in a job that fell into one of the exceptions (basically any government attorney or public-interest/nonprofit attorney is exempted).

The problem was that in rural counties, there might be only one attorney for the whole county, they'd get appointed to do everything, would have no time to run their own practice. Also you'd get like tax attorneys being appointed to represent people in family court and suchlike (they'd usually hire someone else to do it for them).

A few years ago the state supreme court ruled that was unconstitutional under the 5th amendment -- as a taking without just compensation -- and so now even though the rule is technically still in place, the state bar has set up a contract program and attorneys who want in sign up to be contracted for the appointments.

I don't know how the malpractice insurance issue works with appointments but yeah that was one of the big reasons I was so worried about getting appointed back in the day. I wasn't a very good lawyer then and didn't think to look up what the actual rules were though (I *think* there was actually a state fund that covered you but not sure and anyway the rules are different now) .

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

quote:

1. Be a nerd under the age of 30 who can intelligently construct search strings based on unique phrases, if you are old or not a computer nerd ask one to help you (they don't need to know anything about patents or whatever)

2. Download the MPEP (individual PDFs for each chapter) and Acrobat 5 (it's what Prometric uses) and make your screen resolution tiny so your interface will be similar to what it is on the exam

3. Go here and spend a few hours walking through the 2003 repeats so you can be and answer instantly when they give you a recognizable repeat question, this will also get you familiar with what to search for each subject

4. Take the patent bar: Congratulations you've passed!

Note the complete absence of "prep course" or "patent electives" or even "knowing jack poo poo about law and/or engineering" in this method.

Can anyone who has taken the patent bar somewhat recently confirm that this advice from the OP is sound? It seems too good to be true...

My boss has been telling me that I need to take a class and read the MPEP. I have no idea if he has any knowledge of the test in its current form or if he is talking about something that was true way back when he took it.

The only other sources of information I have about the exam are lots of websites saying what my boss is saying and a former associate who kept failing the test until he finally left the firm.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

qmark posted:

Can anyone who has taken the patent bar somewhat recently confirm that this advice from the OP is sound? It seems too good to be true...

It was absolutely true in 2005, when the 2003 questions were much closer to current. How much of it holds up in 2019 I can't tell you.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

ulmont posted:

It was absolutely true in 2005, when the 2003 questions were much closer to current. How much of it holds up in 2019 I can't tell you.

It was also true at the end of 2008. There have been a lot of changes since then. Between the big shift to pct and more importantly the aia in 2012. When I took the test there were questions verbatim from the 2003 practices and I imagine that’s still true but there are likely fewer. The mpep is super dry and I imagine prep courses are torture too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

qmark posted:

My boss has been telling me that I need to take a class and read the MPEP. I have no idea if he has any knowledge of the test in its current form or if he is talking about something that was true way back when he took it.

The only other sources of information I have about the exam are lots of websites saying what my boss is saying and a former associate who kept failing the test until he finally left the firm.

It was accurate in... 2012? 2013? Whenever the gently caress I got around to taking it. It was post-AIA. There were definitely verbatim or near verbatim questions from the 2003 practice exams though.

(I did do a prep course, because my employer gave me a week's paid vacation to do so. It was... fine? Not incredibly useful? But not useless? Honestly, biggest benefit of the prep courses is probably that they've got more recent practice questions to use.)

e: Also, Soothing Vapors, how long are you going to wait before letting people in on the joke in the questions megathread?

Kalman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 5, 2019

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Has that thread always been such a shitshow?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
LOL he even deleted the OP, such attention to verisimilitude

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kalman posted:

e: Also, Soothing Vapors, how long are you going to wait before letting people in on the joke in the questions megathread?
sir, I don't know what you mean

Phil Moscowitz posted:

LOL he even deleted the OP, such attention to verisimilitude
:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
So. I don’t know what’s sadder. The navy JAG corps giving participation trophy awards for prosecutors in an acquittal plagued with ethics violations and incompetence, or Trump being such a spec ops starfucker that he ordered the medals revoked.

The whole thing is pretty drat amusing.