Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I've been trying to find an adventure game that I got on a MacAddict demo disc in the late 1990s. It was one of those games where you typed in commands like "look north," "search desk" and had black-and-white Manhole-style graphics. The plot was something like, you wake up in your house to go about your normal day, but weird stuff happens. I distinctly remember that you could encounter Busta Rhymes and if you got into combat with him, he would blow weed smoke in your face and you would lose health. You could also encounter an alien.

There were a lot of games like this, but only one with the weird Busta Rhymes weed smoke combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I sort of found it.

It was a book I read as a kid about a giant nerd with a spaceship full of alien monsters and a psychic cat. Turns out it's called Tuff Voyaging, and it's by George R. R. Martin, of all loving people. The main thrust of the book is about the need for population control, and I didn't even remember that part.

I used to read those when they were originally printed as short stories in Analog magazine, I remember being excited when the book collecting them all together came out. I still have a few of those issues floating around:

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

The second is a commercial for seatbelts or something like that. This would have been probably the late 80s, and I lived in Northern Ontario, in Canada. From what I remember, the commercial showed various kids being interviewed about why you should wear a seatbelt one at a time while sitting on a chair. Some of the quotes I remember are “your skin could probably... zip off,” and a kid listing places to drive to “California, Palm Springs..,” and it ends with a little girl saying “they make you safe. They make you safe. They do.” I cannot recall who made the commercial but my friends and I still quote the skin zipping off bit and I’d love to see that again as well.

Quoting myself because I was able to find the commercial and wanted to share it in case others remembered it too. There was no kid saying “California, Palm Springs,” so that’s a completely different commercial to find now, but here’s the main commercial I was looking for https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cYkxHa1n7Cg&feature=youtu.be

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

redreader posted:

There's a shoot 'em up game I played in the late 80's or early 90's and I've gone through entire lists of games and never found it. It's not 1942 or raiden or anything like that.

It's set above a planet, probably earth but I'm not sure, you're maybe in the clouds, not space.
The first boss is a round spaceship kind of ufo boss.
The second boss is 2 large grey jets that shoot little homing missiles that you can shoot down.
There are power ups that you can collect, that change if you wait a few seconds. Extra life, extra smart bomb.
edit: arcade game, vertical scroller.

Major Stryker?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Oh gently caress I thought of one. I was on a long distance drive and while bored out of my skull started scanning the radio channels. I want to say this was on some NPR station because who else would do this but there was a narrator telling a story about a spy who was under cover in the soviet union and falling in love with another spy. It sounds cheesy but it was a really compelling love story and I think I lost reception or something happened that I wasn't able to hear how the story ended. This was probably around 2008-2011. The key component was that the guy's handler knew he was in a sexual relationship and was coaching him on not falling in love and the guy was telling himself he wasn't while he actually was.

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

I've been trying to find this mythology book from when I was a kid. I remember it was a larger format book, not very long at all. The appeal was the monsters were done in a very formal style that was wholly different from every other mythology book I read back then. The cover was grey/silver and had a kraken in the center. The weird thing is that this version of a kraken was reptilian (obviously it didn't have the port hole frame):

I've managed to find a picture of a manticore as well:

Aside from these images, the only other thing I can distinctly remember about it is that there was a picture of a dragon where it was built like a sauropod: massive heavy body and extremely long neck.

Edit: Just remembered this one! It was on public television in Maryland (so unsure if MPT-specific or PBS-hosted), but it was a show where they would take short stories and illustrate them live. The one I remember is a kid and their friend have a bully. One day the friend has enough and bites the bully in the hand. Bully lets them go and yells at them.

Pulchritudinous fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 5, 2019

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I have two. In order of importance.

A Korean pop song that I heard on a flight back in 2002, in which they combined Informer and Part Time Lover about as badly as you'd expect. Let me be clear: they didn't combine something that sounded similar to Informer and Part Time Lover. They actually combined Informer and Part Time Lover.

Also, in 2002, I saw a movie(maybe series) on TV that was about the American Civil War, except it had magic. I saw this in my hotel room in South Africa, so I don't remember that station or have any information on it. It seemed to be made in the US.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
My penis

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pulchritudinous posted:

I've been trying to find this mythology book from when I was a kid. I remember it was a larger format book, not very long at all. The appeal was the monsters were done in a very formal style that was wholly different from every other mythology book I read back then. The cover was grey/silver and had a kraken in the center. The weird thing is that this version of a kraken was reptilian (obviously it didn't have the port hole frame):

I've managed to find a picture of a manticore as well:

Aside from these images, the only other thing I can distinctly remember about it is that there was a picture of a dragon where it was built like a sauropod: massive heavy body and extremely long neck.

???

Edit: looks like these books were released in the US under the "Time Life: Mysteries of the Unknown" banner. Is this the dragon you remember?

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 5, 2019

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

???

Edit: looks like these books were released in the US under the "Time Life: Mysteries of the Unknown" banner. Is this the dragon you remember?

YES THAT'S IT! Thank-you!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pulchritudinous posted:

YES THAT'S IT! Thank-you!!

There's 33 books in the series but I think this is the one that has those pictures (although I'm not 100% sure)

It's also entirely possible that they just grabbed those few illustrations from some other book

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005

It's also entirely possible that they just grabbed those few illustrations from some other book

True, but then this book ought to have credits for the images/other books, in which case I can use that. Still, this is the best find I've gotten looking for this, so I'm chalking this up as "whale found." I really appreciate you digging around.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Riptor posted:

Was it his old announcer Joel Goddard? They used to use him in sketches quite a bit on late night

Nope. I absolutely loved Joel Goddard and would have remembered that. It was definitely a clip they stole from an old movie or something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's 33 books in the series but I think this is the one that has those pictures (although I'm not 100% sure)

wait poo poo now that's a cover design I remember, but from German books. My hometown library had eight or nine of those.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I have a few.

1. Novel I read in the 1990s. Set in the world of ancient Arabia. A Persian girl dresses as a boy to go travelling to find her parents who went missing while going on haj. She has a magical stone harp? that takes her on supernatural, or fairy tale inspired adventures. I think she married a woman at some point. The wife is a widow who is happy her new husband can't get her pregnant? At some point she time travels into the future. I think she ends up in present day New York. (OK, at the time present day). She wanders around inside "A tall, hollowed out mountain, with long, even corridors, where the floors are colourful as flowers and softer than any grass" at night, and meets a janitor who is a Muslim. He greets her with an Islamic prayer, and she is really disappointed when it turns out that is the only Arabic he knows. Also, the janitor feeds her "frozen vanilla pudding on a stick from a magical cabinet". The author's name was something like Lori Lee, or Maria May. Definitely was same initials in first and last name.

2. Short sci-fi story I read in an anthology. Must have been written around 1980. The military is researching teleportation, and a soldier is chosen as test subject. Teleportation works, but someone thinks that for an instant there are two soldiers. They keep teleporting the soldier back and forth inside a gym. Turns out that during the teleport a clone is created. But the original dissolves almost immediately. At least at first. Because with each teleport the original lasts a fraction of a second longer. Soon they are able to talk to the original for a few minutes. One day the soldier disappears during the teleport. The original grins and dissolves. Next day the solider calls from Paris. "I got bored, and figured out how to teleport at will. Taking a holiday!" Soon clones start popping up everywhere. Each clone is able to teleport, and so more and more clones are made. The clones are becoming a problem. In South Africa Apartheid is ended when everyone agrees that skin colour doesn't matter so long as you can kill clones. The Vatican issues a ruling saying it is every Catholic's duty to kill clones. The KKK and Black Panthers team up to go clone hunting. At the same time you have clones starting a symphony orchestra. Israeli and Palestinian adopted clones declare war on each other. Clones soon outnumber other humans, and population is completely out of control. Ends with the last non-clone dying in Romania.

3. A British show for children. Live action movies of stories from mythology. I remember one where there was a prisoner of some sort who could save the life of his child (The child was going to sacrificed to some monster) if he could thread a fine thread through all the windings of a large snail shell. He solved it by dripping honey into the shell until it dripped out of a hole at the very top. Then he tied string to an ant, and let the ant eat the honey. The ant ate all the way, and pulled the string with it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My Lovely Horse posted:

wait poo poo now that's a cover design I remember, but from German books. My hometown library had eight or nine of those.

Yeah they were called Geheimnisse des Unbekannten over there

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
have anybody said girlfriend yet? lol.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

Oh gently caress I thought of one. I was on a long distance drive and while bored out of my skull started scanning the radio channels. I want to say this was on some NPR station because who else would do this but there was a narrator telling a story about a spy who was under cover in the soviet union and falling in love with another spy. It sounds cheesy but it was a really compelling love story and I think I lost reception or something happened that I wasn't able to hear how the story ended. This was probably around 2008-2011. The key component was that the guy's handler knew he was in a sexual relationship and was coaching him on not falling in love and the guy was telling himself he wasn't while he actually was.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/337/man-vs-history/act-two

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

There was a personal website of a mentally ill person's art from the early 2000s I've tried to find for years. It likely no longer exists due to his mental illness and hosting fees, but his art was phenomenal albeit incredibly morbid. I remember one of his paintings was of hellish landscape that was inspired by his art studio/apartment being accidentally set ablaze due to him keeping violatile paints and paint thinners everywhere. I hope the artist is doing alright.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

EDIT: I was efb'd on the first page. :(

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

CheeseThief posted:

Robert Sheckley's Status Civilization:

Sci fi novel set on a prison planet, new prisoners start as peons and become free citizens by earning it. The main character becomes one right away by killing a man of higher rank in self defense. The planet is strange and hostile, for example they have a church that worships evil.

Anyway the main character eventually sneaks back to earth and relearns his past, he was wrongly imprisoned because he witnessed a murder and all earth citizens are brainwashed into confessing any crimes they commit. His brain washing kicked in when he saw the murder and made him turn himself in.

The copy of the book I had ends with the main character standing in front of a broken mirror having overcome his brain washing, then it just ends. I'd swear there were pages missing, another chapter that wasn't there or something.

If anyone has read this book just tell me the ending, did it stop there or was there more? It feels weird that it never resolved anything but the brain washing.

Great to see someone mention Robert Sheckley! He was one of my favorite writers when I first started reading books in English as a teen. My dad had all these American sci-fi paperbacks that he had collected when he was young.

I have the book, but it was probably 25 years since I read it.

Checked the last page, and it is indeed the guy smashing a mirror. One reason that you could have thought there was more is that a common edition also has the novel Mindswap.

This is what my copy looks like:

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
It's a short film released in the mid 2000s called "e people", an orwellian story following a worker in a factory that just makes the letter e.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

A Korean pop song that I heard on a flight back in 2002, in which they combined Informer and Part Time Lover about as badly as you'd expect. Let me be clear: they didn't combine something that sounded similar to Informer and Part Time Lover. They actually combined Informer and Part Time Lover.

Also, in 2002, I saw a movie(maybe series) on TV that was about the American Civil War, except it had magic. I saw this in my hotel room in South Africa, so I don't remember that station or have any information on it. It seemed to be made in the US.

1. JTL - Long Time Lover

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Pastry of the Year posted:

This might be The Badlands of Hark:

This and its sequel were both thick and notoriously difficult. Obviously, the difficulty cover-brag isn't here, but it might be on the back cover or on the title - I read the sequel and specifically remember the difficulty being An Announced Thing.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Oh My God. I completely forgot about those books! I had about 5 that I read every morning waiting for the school bus! Now I have a new white whale! I need them all!

Nevermind. Looks like they’re 10-20$ a book. Gonna let this whale get away.

Robokomodo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 5, 2019

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

The Human Crouton posted:

Quick follow-up, as I see this was already answered, but here’s the song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QL6y9aozTEY

(It’s One Night Lover, though.)
:goonsay:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Robokomodo posted:

Oh My God. I completely forgot about those books! I had about 5 that I read every morning waiting for the school bus! Now I have a new white whale! I need them all!

Nevermind. Looks like they’re 10-20$ a book. Gonna let this whale get away.

I bought a pristine set of all 30+ books for about $60 on ebay about 18 months ago. I hope you can do the same, because those books are ridiculous and amazing!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Oh I just thought of one, it was a short graphic novel story, possibly part of collection, and possibly an adaptation of an older sci fi story short.

Basically two guys in the military talking in the COs office, about violence and morality and all that, and the subordinate eventually reveals he's created a device which instantly rusts and disintegrates all forms of gunmetal in the vicinity. The story ends with the CO breaking off one of his chair legs and running after the guy to, presumably, club him to death to prevent the device from spreading and destroying all weapons

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

The Protagonist posted:

Oh I just thought of one, it was a short graphic novel story, possibly part of collection, and possibly an adaptation of an older sci fi story short.

Basically two guys in the military talking in the COs office, about violence and morality and all that, and the subordinate eventually reveals he's created a device which instantly rusts and disintegrates all forms of gunmetal in the vicinity. The story ends with the CO breaking off one of his chair legs and running after the guy to, presumably, club him to death to prevent the device from spreading and destroying all weapons

I have the print sci fi story. I had wrong info here before, but it's called A Piece of Wood.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 6, 2019

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Teketeketeketeke posted:

1. JTL - Long Time Lover

curlingiron posted:

Quick follow-up, as I see this was already answered, but here’s the song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QL6y9aozTEY

(It’s One Night Lover, though.)
:goonsay:

Holy poo poo, thank you! Looks like my nearly 20 year old memory was wrong about it actually being Informer, but this is the song.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

There was a song I heard on the last day of Burning Man 2011 on the Burning Man Radio, which was this cool techno song that used the words to "Green Eggs and Ham," and all the words were done through one of those text-to-speech computer voices.

I've tried searching for this song with no luck. I just messaged their "BMIR" facebook page to see if they could help me, but I figured I may as well check and see if any of you guys might know anything about this song

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Slightly Absurd posted:

There was a song I heard on the last day of Burning Man 2011 on the Burning Man Radio, which was this cool techno song that used the words to "Green Eggs and Ham," and all the words were done through one of those text-to-speech computer voices.

I've tried searching for this song with no luck. I just messaged their "BMIR" facebook page to see if they could help me, but I figured I may as well check and see if any of you guys might know anything about this song

Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Pe_tky0Ig

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

DOS and Windows 3.1 was on our first family computer we got back in the early 90’s. It had a few games on it that rocked.

One was this.... 2-d platformer where I was like a knight or a wizard? I remember it being very hard. I think all the shapes and characters were all just rainbow colored outlines. Everything else was black.

This is more than twenty five years ago so my memory may not be very clear.

A long shot, but perhaps you're thinking of Captain Comic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZW0A3zFUTU

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 6, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This is a longshot, but it's a music video or an animation set to a pre-existing song, possibly pixel art, that features a sunny beach town that has been wrecked by some kind of Lovecraft-y apocalypse.

I'm pretty sure I didn't dream this.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Thanks for trying, but nope, that's not it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
One is a song, which I'm 90% sure is called Enter The Sandman, and the artist name is also Enter the Sandman. Or at least it was titled that way when I saw it on YT. The song itself is a dreamy and weird remix of 'Wonderful Baby' by Don McLean. I can't find it because it's such a common phrase, and the artist/song name I think is duplicated. It has sub 1k viewers on YT when I first heard it on YT like 10+ years ago.

The other is a children's picture book, this might be easier to find, but I can't find it because the details I know are too generic to search with. The opening part of it is a gradual zooming in on a...skeleton family? And it's phrased in a way like "In a dark, dark town, down a dark, dark street, is a dark, dark house..." etc. Or something like that. The art is predominantly black/white/yellow and maybe dark blue or something? Like, black is the primary palette. My memory of this is super vague but I'm pretty sure it's real. And it ends with panning out in the same fashion.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

The other is a children's picture book, this might be easier to find, but I can't find it because the details I know are too generic to search with. The opening part of it is a gradual zooming in on a...skeleton family? And it's phrased in a way like "In a dark, dark town, down a dark, dark street, is a dark, dark house..." etc. Or something like that. The art is predominantly black/white/yellow and maybe dark blue or something? Like, black is the primary palette. My memory of this is super vague but I'm pretty sure it's real. And it ends with panning out in the same fashion.

Funnybones by Janet & Allan Ahlberg?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Yeah, that's Funnybones

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Telemaze posted:

Funnybones by Janet & Allan Ahlberg?

Yep! That's the one. Thank you skeleton poster.

quote:

In a dark, dark town there was a dark, dark street
and in the dark, dark street there was a dark, dark house,
and in the dark, dark house there were some dark, dark stairs
and down the dark, dark stairs there was a dark, dark cellar
and in the dark dark cellar….

Three skeletons lived!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I posted this in the Identify A Movie For Me thread last year.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I'm gonna ask for another one.

I saw this when I was a kid, it's an episode of Outer Limits or Tales From The Darkside or another sci-fi horror anthology.

There's these people who are keeping a monster in the dust chute of a hotel and they're feeding guests to it, throwing them down the chute. The monster looks terrible, like a flaccid dick with teeth. I think in the end it's "owners" get fed to it by the plucky young protagonist.

I watched it in the mid 90s and it was on straight after an episode of the Outer Limits where a scientist gets injected with nanomachines that evolve him into the perfect being (eyes start growing on the back of his head, becomes invulnerable etc). I've found this episode since but never came across the Monster in the Chute episode, I was certain it was Outer Limits but none of the episode recaps make sense.

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Breed_(The_Outer_Limits) is the Eyes in the Back of the Head episode

It was suggested that I was looking for the Tales From The Darkside episode A New Lease On Life but this isn't it. Here's a reply that shed some more light on it that I'd forgotten until just now.

SolarFire2 posted:

I can't tell you the source but I remember very clearly that the hotel/apt. complex/building the story was set in was called the Saint George. I only know this because this was on TV when my family was on a road trip staying at a motel in St. George, Utah. I always remembered the coincidence.

E: nevermind the second post, the Saint George lead was back to A New Lease On Life.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah, that's Funnybones

It also got a TV series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZYsUOZmRwM