Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Yes, yes! Also you're basically at Stormblood now.

Though to this day I still don't understand why Yuyuhase is still hanging out with Ilberd and helping him by that point. At least Laurentius is a coward with nowhere else to turn so I can understand him hitching his wagon to the only strong personality that doesn't actively hate him. Yuyuhase always struck me as being purely mercenary though, and he had nothing at all to gain from *checks notes* murdering a bunch of Ala Mhigan refugee dupes to summon a god of rage and provoke a war where everyone on all sides wants him dead.

Ilberd presumably promised him a shitload of Garlean/Ala Mhigan treasure for his involvement. That said, he does also seem to get off on violence, which probably helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

multijoe posted:

Is it remotely worth going for Ten on a tank, or does it really have no practical use outside of making chain pulls less hair-raising?

Tenacity is garbage. If you put a grade 8 materia in every slot, you'd get 2.1% damage reduction. Barely perceptible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So. what are the good materia for tanks and healers in Shadowbringers? I assume DPS want to stack crit and DH as usual?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Non-warrior tanks want direct hit in every slot, unless they can reach ~2500 crit (don't quote me on that) without materia, in which case they want crit.

Warriors want crit in every slot.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

does monk want crit? seems like you wanna be critting all the time for the chakra procs

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

:tviv:
I just did the Aetherochemical Research Facility dungeon for the first time and that has to be the best dungeon I've done so far, I loved the design of it and the boss fights and the cutscenes were great. There's been some good cutscenes and things that have happened in other parts of Heavensward but nothing that really made me think holy moly this is amazing. I'm super excited to see what goes on in the next dungeon I just unlocked when I get to do it later!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

queeb posted:

does monk want crit? seems like you wanna be critting all the time for the chakra procs

Monk wants to mainline crit above all else. DH and Det help for sure but more crits = more free chakras and GL3/4 already has you going pretty fast without high sks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RoboJoe posted:

:tviv:
I just did the Aetherochemical Research Facility dungeon for the first time and that has to be the best dungeon I've done so far, I loved the design of it and the boss fights and the cutscenes were great. There's been some good cutscenes and things that have happened in other parts of Heavensward but nothing that really made me think holy moly this is amazing. I'm super excited to see what goes on in the next dungeon I just unlocked when I get to do it later!

It only goes uphill from here, chief.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I remember ARF at launch being overlong and disappointing with its lack of loot. Had a good aesthetic though. It really only gets better after that though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Singularity Reactor really needs to be experienced at min ilvl.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Some honest healer in my non-goon FC told me that they were no longer speaking to me after I responded to someone asking for whm tips with: "Healers are just DPS jobs who have to push a few non-dps buttons occasionally" and "Holy is the best healing spell in dungeons."

Oh no what a loss. What am I going to do without this honest healer in my life?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rosalind posted:

Some honest healer in my non-goon FC told me that they were no longer speaking to me after I responded to someone asking for whm tips with: "Healers are just DPS jobs who have to push a few non-dps buttons occasionally" and "Holy is the best healing spell in dungeons."

Oh no, they're not going to dps for you. If you don't love holy spam, why are you playing WHM? The best thing in any MMO is doing something better than a class that was designed for it. WHM having the best AOE is just that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be one thing if honest healers were actually really good at healing, but they're not. Most of the time they just stand there doing nothing, cast their basic heal whenever the tank takes damage, and panic whenever they need to do anything beyond that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why is this game so chill. It has a je ne sais quoi

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

euphronius posted:

Why is this game so chill. It has a je ne sais quoi

It's because the stated stance of the developer on people wanting to go play other games and only come back to play in one to two month long increments for patches is "that's fine, and we encourage you to do so rather than burning out".

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
After I took the thread's advice and focused more on Holy spam and less on keeping the tank at 100% at all times, I had way more fun and felt more useful than ever. I thought I was a honest healer from the way people described them, but apparently no, they're their own brand of :psyduck:

I encountered one in a dungeon a while back while leveling Lancer, my first experience with them since I'm usually the healer. It began well enough, they kept the healing up when necessary, but when the tank suggested "hey you know you have offense-related abilities too, right" they became incredibly passive aggressive with lots of smileys and "deal with it". They got vote kicked, unsurprisingly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ibblebibble posted:

The Singularity Reactor really needs to be experienced at min ilvl.

aww, man, poor newbies not getting to properly experience The Singularity Reactor :smith:

I guess a lot of that fight still works normally but man the spectacle's way better when you have to work a little for it

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 5, 2019

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Thundarr posted:

Though to this day I still don't understand why Yuyuhase is still hanging out with Ilberd and helping him by that point. At least Laurentius is a coward with nowhere else to turn so I can understand him hitching his wagon to the only strong personality that doesn't actively hate him. Yuyuhase always struck me as being purely mercenary though, and he had nothing at all to gain from *checks notes* murdering a bunch of Ala Mhigan refugee dupes to summon a god of rage and provoke a war where everyone on all sides wants him dead.

Yuyuhase thinks he'll be granted a cushy government position in Ala Mhigo if he helps Ilberd free it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Now that TP is gone, just lol if you don't put skillspeed in every slot. Especially on monk :v:

And same but spellspeed for BLM.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

aww, man, poor newbies not getting to properly experience The Singularity Reactor :smith:

I guess a lot of that fight still works normally but man the spectacle's way better when you have to work a little for it

Even at minimum item level, the trial is ridiculously easy thanks to potency changes. People say to run it at min for the satisfaction of what happens at the end, but even at min it's just a few seconds. Hardly enough to even read the text.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gridania last night in Excalibur was as busy as I’ve ever seen an mmo city

Maybe like Wotlk Dalaran

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hey other MCHs - when are you using Flamethrower? Now that it doesn't add heat, I've only been using it when all of these conditions are true:

- All the following are on cooldown/charging and have at least 10s remaining: Hot Shot/Air Anchor, Bioblaster/Drill, Gauss Round, Ricochet, Barrel Stabilizer
- Under 50 heat
- 2 or more mobs

Basically, it seems like a great filler ability for AoE damage when there's nothing else available.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

DizzyBum posted:

Hey other MCHs - when are you using Flamethrower? Now that it doesn't add heat, I've only been using it when all of these conditions are true:

- All the following are on cooldown/charging and have at least 10s remaining: Hot Shot/Air Anchor, Bioblaster/Drill, Gauss Round, Ricochet, Barrel Stabilizer
- Under 50 heat
- 2 or more mobs

Basically, it seems like a great filler ability for AoE damage when there's nothing else available.

3 or more mobs, but yeah; it basically has priority only over Spread Shot, so if all of your other AOE abilities are on cooldown/unavailable, Flamethrower away, and interrupt it the moment you can do anything else

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.

Xerophyte posted:

The Waste Not line is economical if you're going to do things that subtract durability for (almost, you usually get one freebie) all of it, which can be problematic if you want to fit in buffs or use Tricks of the Trade. The Manipulation and Master's Mends lines are slightly less economical but much more flexible. One of the benefits of Careful Synthesis is that you have an easier time getting mileage out of Waste Not since they don't need buffs to work.

Crafting is pretty interesting and there are some neat trade-offs and choices where you weigh efficiency vs consistency vs speed but a lot of the mechanics are frustratingly opaque. Good luck figuring out when to use Ingenuity from the tooltip, for instance. That plus the enormous ability bloat is why people tend to use 3rd party sites where you enter your crafting stats plus what you want to make and the site spits out a macro to make it for the higher level stuff.

Is there a comprehensive guide for getting crafters to 50 and beyond? Macros are great and all but it would help to have all the abilities broken down and explained. Like you said, there's a lot of abilities, which makes it hard to know what's optimal and what's not.

I just recently started using Tricks of the Trade for the more difficult Ixali quests to try and eke out more quality, but I don't know if that's actually the most efficient way to do it (all my crafters are between 20-25).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rosalind posted:

Maybe it was less about your message and more about your tone.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The proper time to use flamethrower is when you want to eat some more of your dinner during a fight

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Vargatron posted:

You're right. I'm sorry. Next time I will be very serious 100% of the time and never make any light-hearted but truthful jokes about a job I regularly play in my FC chat.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vargatron posted:

I’m going to shove you into a locker

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey! Why the heck is the leatherworker's vista requiring a weather requirement to activate?! It's indoors!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

- Under 50 heat
- 2 or more mobs

this is pretty much right, i'd say judge whether you'll be able to get up to 50 heat soon; if by the time you would reach 50 heat most things would be dead if you flamethrowered, flamethrower away. also if it's the last pull before a boss rule out stabilizer even if it's up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vargatron posted:

That’s not a very aggressive tone so it sounds more like a problem with thin skinned honest healers clutching their Cure 2.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ibblebibble posted:

Did someone say Redbill Scarf?

Bonus GNB glam:

Call me Oyabun.

Thundarr posted:

That guy is basically Eorzean Potato Joker. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

DizzyBum posted:

- Under 50 heat
- 2 or more mobs

I would also qualify this by saying that you should also take into consideration if you will hit 90 battery or 50 heat in the next three or four GCDs that you would normally be holding Flamethrower.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 5, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Chairman posted:

Yuyuhase thinks he'll be granted a cushy government position in Ala Mhigo if he helps Ilberd free it.

I mean, that can't work because Ilberd's dead and his whole plan revolved around killing himself and all the allied Ala Mhigans at Baelsar's Wall. There was never going to be any further grifting at that point because no matter who won Yuyuhase would be viewed as an enemy by the victor. Maybe he really was in "gently caress everything, I'm just gonna watch the fireworks" mode at that point. I guess I just though it was weird that he didn't bail the instant the plan became "kill off the guy writing my paycheck before I get paid" is all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jumley posted:

Is there a comprehensive guide for getting crafters to 50 and beyond? Macros are great and all but it would help to have all the abilities broken down and explained. Like you said, there's a lot of abilities, which makes it hard to know what's optimal and what's not.

I just recently started using Tricks of the Trade for the more difficult Ixali quests to try and eke out more quality, but I don't know if that's actually the most efficient way to do it (all my crafters are between 20-25).

If you want an extremely in-depth guide, here you go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1aDMxZOjhdmzsilToDvsrwqfcUOs6NKxhsCBa1IwVQ/preview

Be warned though, it's almost 400 pages long, and it hasn't been updated for ShB yet. It has a really good section that goes into detail on every ability, and it basically guides you through building your own rotation as you level.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There's also this site, the crafting guides (top right) are not all ShB updated either but not that much has changed, mostly just that everyone has Byregot's Blessing and Steady Hand II (?) now.

https://www.ffxivguild.com/category/disciples-of-hand/

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
So I've been doing the ARR story and just hit 50. I bought the expansion so I can keep earning xp but now I'm curious: how much xp will I get from finishing ARR? I have to finish it to get to HW, right? And presumably that content was meant to start at 50?

I guess I'm wondering if I should be leveling another side job through the ARR content or end up overleveled. Currently a SCH/SUM but I have a 42 PLD and I picked up SAM and RDM.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Disargeria posted:

So I've been doing the ARR story and just hit 50. I bought the expansion so I can keep earning xp but now I'm curious: how much xp will I get from finishing ARR? I have to finish it to get to HW, right? And presumably that content was meant to start at 50?

I guess I'm wondering if I should be leveling another side job through the ARR content or end up overleveled.

You're going to be overleveled for the ARR content (indeed, drat near everything remaining to you until cap) if you stay on one job. That's not a bad thing at all, if you're having fun; nevertheless there's plenty of XP to go around if you'd have more fun getting another job up to the mark.

There's no "should" though (besides saying you "should" get to HW ASAP so you can enter Ishgard and unlock DRK and MCH); your only "should" while the MSQ is incomplete through ShB is to complete it.

(ed) The actual amount varies; i've heard anything from 54 before HW content starts, to 57, all the way up to 60.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lvl 50 MSQs give barely any xp, you might get a couple of levels from the required dungeons though

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just realized that low-level crafting is actually a little harder after 5.0, now that SH2 and BB aren't cross-class. It used to be that you could get CUL to 37 and CRP to 50, and then cross-class those abilities onto your low-level crafters to make leveling them a lot easier. Now you have to get every class to 50 to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

(ed) The actual amount varies; i've heard anything from 54 before HW content starts, to 57, all the way up to 60.

I was 53 when I finished with 2.x. That was just mainlining the MSQ and doing no extra roulettes.