Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

huhu posted:

Posted this awhile back. Stock just dropped 30% today. Glad I sold.
The decision was good regardless of the result. If the stock went up 300% today it was still the correct decision to have sold back then. Good work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blinky2099 posted:

The decision was good regardless of the result. If the stock went up 300% today it was still the correct decision to have sold back then. Good work!

Yes. Always Be CSelling stock from the company you work for.

I have taken a significant hit from doing this. But how could I have predicted that? And I'm still 1005 onboard with this strategy and still do it.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Hmm. Good point about the fractional shares. I don't think it'll be a big issue? Anyway, I have some time to mull it over.

Blinky2099 posted:

Yeah, no reason to feel bad.

A good motto to invest (or heck, even live) by is: 'If I have exact same information as I had back then, would I have made the same decision?'

If so, there is nothing to regret over. And if not, you've learned something, you won't make the same mistake again, and you are now wiser for it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You have to have earned at least $Amount that you put in a Roth IRA, but it doesn't have to be literally the same dollar you got from a paycheck. The IRS doesn't care if you're putting Per Diem money or Paycheck Money or Sold My Pokemon Cards Money into the Roth as long as you did earn enough income that it could ostensibly be your earned income you're depositing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Aren't there rules that to pay money into a Roth it has to have been earned as income in a W2 and subject to taxation or are the rules for earned income unique for this situation?

This is relevant because as soon as EAT FASTER Jr starts having earned income, an amount up to the lesser of the limit or the amount of earned income can be placed in a Roth IRA for them, even if they spend all the money they touch.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I'm probably ~14 years from that being a possibility but hopefully I'm in the type of financial spot that I can Roth IRA for my kid, that'd be super good.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Animal posted:

You wanna know what makes me feel like a boss?
Funding my entire Roth IRA with tax-free Per-Diem income.

No tax going in, no tax going out!

That's sick. One year I got about $50k in tax free per-diem moneys for being on a year long travel assignment, and boy oh boy, do I miss that

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah I'm probably ~14 years from that being a possibility but hopefully I'm in the type of financial spot that I can Roth IRA for my kid, that'd be super good.

Or are you...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/style/viral-toddler-videos.html

quote:

Why Isn't Your Toddler Paying the Mortgage?

Sep 27, 2017 · Mila and Emma are two breakthrough stars of a new class of social media celebrities: young children who appear in viral videos.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 3, 2019

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
I did my back door roth conversation and apparently I earned 4 cents of interest during the one day it sat in my traditional ira. Is there anything I should do with it? Am I going to have to pay taxes on it when I convert next year?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I did my back door roth conversation and apparently I earned 4 cents of interest during the one day it sat in my traditional ira. Is there anything I should do with it? Am I going to have to pay taxes on it when I convert next year?
Just convert the rest of it to keep your trad at 0

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

Taxes forms are rounded to the nearest dollar.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

:qq:

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Why is it that it takes an instant to buy a Vanguard ETF during market hours, but buying into a Vanguard mutual fund for the first time takes days?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DreadCthulhu posted:

Why is it that it takes an instant to buy a Vanguard ETF during market hours, but buying into a Vanguard mutual fund for the first time takes days?

Because ETF's trade on the market like stocks. Mutual funds can only be bought at the end of the day.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Volkerball posted:

Because ETF's trade on the market like stocks. Mutual funds can only be bought at the end of the day.

Ah interesting, good to know.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I imagine I’m not alone in feeling like the market is a manic idiot’s playground these days, and it makes me wonder how on earth people in the stock market thread can make bets on day to day fluctuations and feel like they’re doing anything other than flip a coin. Even holding only total market/bond/international funds feels like it’s risky in the present environment, but it’s the only game in town as far as I’m concerned. I’m glad I’m 20+ years from retirement, because right now feels like a time when I’ve got no idea if my money is going to be halved at any moment (and I’m kind of curious if that would be beneficial for me in the long run). I even briefly thought about some of the Wellington/Wellesley type cheap actives, then came back to my senses.

But while I’m not pulling anything out of the market it is making me wonder about putting more in right now. What I’m doing is prioritizing removing the remainder of my wife’s student loan debt rather than our backdoor IRAs, since it feels like a guaranteed 6.5% return and working down nondischargable debt is a better idea than maxing our our cap space in a volatile market. I’ll revisit in December and maybe finish the 6k apiece then.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Velius posted:

I imagine I’m not alone in feeling like the market is a manic idiot’s playground these days, and it makes me wonder how on earth people in the stock market thread can make bets on day to day fluctuations and feel like they’re doing anything other than flip a coin.

The people who do that are, generally, people who have already hit their savings/investment goals and have some "playing around" money leftover. It's a hobby like anything else.

Velius posted:

But while I’m not pulling anything out of the market it is making me wonder about putting more in right now.

That is, by definition, timing the market. You're making an investment decision based on what you THINK the market is going to do. Doesn't matter if you're pulling money out or delaying putting money in, you're still timing the market.

Velius posted:

What I’m doing is prioritizing removing the remainder of my wife’s student loan debt rather than our backdoor IRAs, since it feels like a guaranteed 6.5% return and working down nondischargable debt is a better idea than maxing our our cap space in a volatile market. I’ll revisit in December and maybe finish the 6k apiece then.

Market timing aside, 6.5% is pretty high, especially for something like student loan debt that you can't get rid of. And that said, paying down a fixed loan IS in fact a guaranteed return.

Bottom line, if you're going to compare that to a possible 7% stock-based return, then you're really close enough where it makes no real difference. I'm sure somebody out there is making investment decisions based on sub-1% differences in return, but I don't think that's a good strategy for most people. If your retirement contributions are high enough and you just have some extra money sitting around to invest, personally I would err on the side of paying down the debt (regardless of what the market is doing).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 5, 2019

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I got a baby coming so I’m wondering where to place my HSA money. S&P500 seems too volatile for anything under a 10 year horizon. I just want it to safely grow at a rate not necessarily higher than a CD or a high yield savings account. If I don’t invest it it will just sit there stagnant where it will wither away to inflation. I already have $6k in this liquid state as a short term reserve but am wondering if I should keep the rest as a medium term reserve or if I should look at it on a 39 year horizon just like I do my 401k and Roth.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I gave the thread a more appropriate tag

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Simpsons Reference posted:

I gave the thread a more appropriate tag

Nice try but I ain’t looking at no financial news.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

I got a baby coming so I’m wondering where to place my HSA money. S&P500 seems too volatile for anything under a 10 year horizon. I just want it to safely grow at a rate not necessarily higher than a CD or a high yield savings account. If I don’t invest it it will just sit there stagnant where it will wither away to inflation. I already have $6k in this liquid state as a short term reserve but am wondering if I should keep the rest as a medium term reserve or if I should look at it on a 39 year horizon just like I do my 401k and Roth.

What's the out of pocket max for you HDHP? I would just take that amount, put it in cash in your HSA and then toss the rest into S&P/TSM etc.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

What's the out of pocket max for you HDHP? I would just take that amount, put it in cash in your HSA and then toss the rest into S&P/TSM etc.

That’s exactly how I have it set up right now. $3k for the wife + $3k for me (and soon $3k for the baby), in the HSA. The rest is being plunked into the cheap S&P500 fund on TD Ameritrade.

I’m worried about sudden baby related medical emergencies and in typical American fashion our insurance not covering a bunch of it at all.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Animal posted:

That’s exactly how I have it set up right now. $3k for the wife + $3k for me (and soon $3k for the baby), in the HSA. The rest is being plunked into the cheap S&P500 fund on TD Ameritrade.

I’m worried about sudden baby related medical emergencies and in typical American fashion our insurance not covering a bunch of it at all.

Be careful with out of pocket max vs deductible. That's where people get screwed i.e. my deductible is like $3k but my oop max is like $10k.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

Be careful with out of pocket max vs deductible. That's where people get screwed i.e. my deductible is like $3k but my oop max is like $10k.
And that's one of the many reasons why the US sucks at healthcare. Trying to get a number on max OOP, deductibles, and coinsurance, and even then, what doesn't count in your max OOP like prescription medication and supplies and on and on and on.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I held a large amount of my account in cash between Thursday and Friday, as I sold shares of multiple funds and wanted them all in a lump sum when buying a new fund. So that buy order executed Friday night.... wish it took a day longer!

Now to just not check my account for several months.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What are some ways I can lower my tax liability? The only thing that I know of is maxing out my 401k, which I am in the process of doing. Is there anything else that's relatively simple?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do you know about IRA's? This priority list from the OP is still accurate, although the IRA contribution limit is now $6,000 instead of $5,500, and it's $19,000 for 401k's.

quote:

1) Contribute to 401(k) up to employer match. Always get the free money!
2) Max out Roth IRA ($5,500 limit in 2015). You can skip this if your 401k options are good and you don't need the extra tax-advantaged space.
3) Max out 401(k) ($18,000 limit for 2015)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

obi_ant posted:

What are some ways I can lower my tax liability? The only thing that I know of is maxing out my 401k, which I am in the process of doing. Is there anything else that's relatively simple?

Make less money

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Max out your HSA if you have one, your traditional 401k, potentially a traditional IRA but based on this question I imagine you're trying to get your income to the point where you can just contribute to a Roth IRA

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Take unpaid leave for the rest of the year.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Get married; work for a government entity with a 457b plan; have some kids or other dependents.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Actually, I found a job that pays less than what I've previously made!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Max out your HSA if you have one, your traditional 401k, potentially a traditional IRA but based on this question I imagine you're trying to get your income to the point where you can just contribute to a Roth IRA

I should probably look into a HSA, I currently max out my employer's 401k and my Roth IRA.

Inept posted:

Get married; work for a government entity with a 457b plan; have some kids or other dependents.

Got married, have a kid... maybe I'll just have more kids...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Simpsons Reference posted:

I held a large amount of my account in cash between Thursday and Friday, as I sold shares of multiple funds and wanted them all in a lump sum when buying a new fund. So that buy order executed Friday night.... wish it took a day longer!

Now to just not check my account for several months.

Bummer but not much you can do. I made my normal purchase on the 1st. Such is how it goes.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ranbo das posted:

According to the Cigna app our family deductible is $3k. Then the individual OOP max is $3k and our family OOP max is $9k. As for my HSA I currently have $6.5k liquid (should be $9k by years end) and $3k invested. My plan is to keep $9k liquid and invest anything over that, hopefully maxing out the HSA until the day I retire, or the day we decide we need a different insurance plan that does not allow for an HSA.

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 5, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know this is the long term thread, but my wife's parents both passed away in the past year, leaving a retirement account to their kids. My sister in law dragged her feet on opening an account until last week, meaning things just sat in a pretty aggressive allocation all this time. :v:

Timing the market etc etc, but is there any reason not to let things recover a bit if we don't necessarily need the money immediately?

Pretty sure I know the answer/I shouldn't be angry but isn't that what in-laws are for?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 5, 2019

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Let what things recover? Despite a red day today we're still up an insane 20% YTD and within a few percent of all-time highs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

I know this is the long term thread, but my wife's parents both passed away in the past year, leaving a retirement account to their kids. My sister in law dragged her feet on opening an account until last week, meaning things just sat in a pretty aggressive allocation all this time. :v:

Timing the market etc etc, but is there any reason not to let things recover a bit if we don't necessarily need the money immediately?

Pretty sure I know the answer/I shouldn't be angry but isn't that what in-laws are for?

When the market went sharply UP over the past 8 months, were you happy with her for dragging her feet?

How did you feel on August 16th, 2018, or March 21st 2019, or June 6th 2019, when the SP500 closed at ~the same level as today?

(You probably don't remember how you felt on those three days, and so years from now you definitely won't remember how you felt today!)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

When the market went sharply UP over the past 8 months, were you happy with her for dragging her feet?

How did you feel on August 16th, 2018, or March 21st 2019, or June 6th 2019, when the SP500 closed at ~the same level as today?

(You probably don't remember how you felt on those three days, and so years from now you definitely won't remember how you felt today!)

Well yes, obviously I was 5.5% happier with her on Wednesday.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope it goes down more tomorrow

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Ally going down from 2.1% to 1.9% as of tomorrow, thanks a lot trade wars :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Synchrony cut theirs from 2.25 to 2.15. I’m sure all the HYS are going to be effected by the Feds rate cut.