Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ironslave posted:

I feel this might be the only way to reframe Beast, the line to start from if you want to try adapting them without remake them wholesale. They're already halfway there; change their Hunger system around, you've still got a game about being a narcissistic and/or delusional monster, and the thrust becomes weighing how far to go against the chances of being caught, of creating a Hero, and to keep your own sense of humanity, with the game dangling power and fame in front of those monsters willing to lean in as far as possible.
Well, I meant like. You don't need to kill or hurt people, the goal is to get people to remember you. It's entirely about building your Legend, and everything else is merely a stepping stone. You start as a completely mundane human, and you need to convince the world that you're actually, like, an unkillable monster like Jason, or that the woods are haunted by a cryptid (which is you in a costume), etc. In fact, going too far with actually hurting people would be a failure state because instead of people circulating whispered rumors, you've got the authorities taking this seriously and SWAT has your "lair" surrounded and you go down in history as just some rear end in a top hat.

You would eventually start getting actual powers when your Legend gets strong enough, but only once you've got enough people absolutely convinced you already have them.

I don't know why somebody would want to make a legend so strong they actually become some weird thing creeping around in the woods, nor do I have any idea how this would work as a group game, though, but I'm not a game designer.

EDIT: Also, being killed by a hero would be amazing for your Legend if you could arrange credible enough sightings of yourself after your death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zereth posted:

... You know now I kinda want to see a game where this is the elevator pitch

All about building your legend as a legendary monster or something. You don't actually start with any powers and have to just use trickery and masks and poo poo until your legend really gets rolling.

I mean the serial killer version of that is Slasher, there's even one that's pretty explicitly that called a Legend. An Avenger is just someone out to redress some wrong done to them, but a Legend has real supernatural power behind them. The problem is they've become defined by what people believe about them, true or not. Their weakness is called "Trapped in the Story".

That is always the weirdest coda to all this, a game about playing explicit monsters, many of whom are literally just "mundane serial killers", is still less grody and more functional at the end of the day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mulva posted:

I mean the serial killer version of that is Slasher, there's even one that's pretty explicitly that called a Legend. An Avenger is just someone out to redress some wrong done to them, but a Legend has real supernatural power behind them. The problem is they've become defined by what people believe about them, true or not. Their weakness is called "Trapped in the Story".

Would a Legend be like Freddy or Jason?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dawgstar posted:

Freddy is given as inspiration for the Legend, although the supernatural slashers aren't largely at quite the level of supernatural power Freddy has.

Jason is instead a Mask, the supernatural exaggeration of the Brute: a hollow killing machine that is aggrieved simply by the existence of life, barely even capable of interaction with human beings beyond murder, and almost invincible to direct acts of violence. You need damage on an environmental scale to hurt a Mask meaningfully: drop him off a cliff, electrocute him with a live wire, drop a car on him in a scrapyard, trap him in a burning house. And even when you do set him ablaze, he doesn't stop moving until he's dead. He doesn't even flinch.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 5, 2019

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Jason would be a Mask probably? Inhumanly durable, indiscriminate killing, hates everyone. If you focused more on the stuff about how he reacts to his mother or anyone who reminds him of her it's be Legendish? One example I've seen was a rumor that a guy won't kill you if you wrap a rose around your door or something that started as bullshit but then became true despite the entire reason for it being made up by some teens. Basically if rumors about you spread, they become real even if you'd want them not to.

Dec 26, 2012

Zereth posted:

I don't know why somebody would want to make a legend so strong they actually become some weird thing creeping around in the woods, nor do I have any idea how this would work as a group game, though, but I'm not a game designer.

Immortality and eternal fame seem like a solid motivation if you're in the right mindset.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tangentially related, the Nightmare on Elm Street remake almost did a wonderful thing where Fred Kreuger was a kind man, wrongfully killed by a mob, and then vengefully returned as the monster they imagined him to be but amped up to 11.

Then whoops we find his child abuse dungeon because a remake isn't allowed to have any imagination.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

01011001 posted:

Immortality and eternal fame seem like a solid motivation if you're in the right mindset.
The biggest flaw I see is that this game would be like Social Media Personality: The Brandbuilding in practice.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

moths posted:

Tangentially related, the Nightmare on Elm Street remake almost did a wonderful thing where Fred Kreuger was a kind man, wrongfully killed by a mob, and then vengefully returned as the monster they imagined him to be but amped up to 11.

Then whoops we find his child abuse dungeon because a remake isn't allowed to have any imagination.

It was a slight change; he's a chomo in the remake and a straight-up murderer in the original

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nessus posted:

The biggest flaw I see is that this game would be like Social Media Personality: The Brandbuilding in practice.

As I said, they already made the serial killer game.

e: vvvvv Honestly the most disturbing possible outcome for what a fear spirit needs to do to feed is "Absolutely nothing at all".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 5, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i was trying to think of a few things a non-evil fear-monster might do to keep fed

- horror movie director or monster actor. it's not really clear how directly connected a beast has to be to the result of their actions, like theres that one type in the core book who just shits on a chair then leaves it by the roadside, so maybe they get a trickle of fear energy every time someone gets spooked by the movie, maybe they have to be in the screening of the movie, idk. maybe they could even be a projectionist who puts the horror movie on and uses their power to make it extra scary.

- chris angel mindfreak street magician

- one of the monsters at those adults-only haunted houses where the monsters grab you or w/e

- theme park ride operator. everyone gets scared on the rollercoaster you control etc

- daredevil stuntman who makes everyone scared for their safety when theyre doing stunts

Dec 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

You'd probably have to set it pre-internet to make it work. Also it still doesn't terribly work as a group game unless you're making it Everyone Is Jason or something.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i was trying to think of a few things a non-evil fear-monster might do to keep fed

- horror movie director or monster actor. it's not really clear how directly connected a beast has to be to the result of their actions, like theres that one type in the core book who just shits on a chair then leaves it by the roadside, so maybe they get a trickle of fear energy every time someone gets spooked by the movie, maybe they have to be in the screening of the movie, idk. maybe they could even be a projectionist who puts the horror movie on and uses their power to make it extra scary.

- chris angel mindfreak street magician

- one of the monsters at those adults-only haunted houses where the monsters grab you or w/e

- theme park ride operator. everyone gets scared on the rollercoaster you control etc

- daredevil stuntman who makes everyone scared for their safety when theyre doing stunts
Also, the entire Autumn Court from changeling already feeds off of fear, and the implication for changelings is that feeding off of an emotion makes people feel less of it iirc, so if for instance you sat in an emergency room for awhile you could chill people way the gently caress out and also go home fat and happy, while they didn't fret over things beyond their control.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A fear-swallowing therapist would basically be the most mutually beneficial setup imaginable.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Also, the entire Autumn Court from changeling already feeds off of fear, and the implication for changelings is that feeding off of an emotion makes people feel less of it iirc, so if for instance you sat in an emergency room for awhile you could chill people way the gently caress out and also go home fat and happy, while they didn't fret over things beyond their control.

if they already had a heroic type of character who feeds off fear then why the gently caress did they make another gameline about fear monsters?

was beast intended to be just a catch-all for mythical monsters, but ended up hijacked by some weird rapist?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Probably the best way to demonstrate that Beast is a game that's unsure about it's own motivations or central plot cycle is to point out that most of the examples it gives for the various Hungers and feeding styles either better fit one of the other Hungers, or are so vague as to fit under two or three. For instance there's a Collector that "Steals" Safety by breaking into peoples houses and beating them up.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

was beast intended to be just a catch-all for mythical monsters, but ended up hijacked by some weird rapist?

I seem to recall the pitch began as a Dragon game, in which light it looks a little more cohesive, with the idea of Hunger starting out more specifically as a compulsion to establish a Lair and cultivate a hoard.

From there, I imagine the development of the pitch into a full concept consisted of the game looking around and then falling down a spiral staircase for the rest of the summer.

"I'm Beast: the Primordial," Beast began yelling. "The normies better be worried, oh boy!"

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Warning: TVTropes Link. Dragon: the Embers is apparently a better take on the "bigass monster in modern society" trope.

I have not read much on it, but to those who have, how "big" can you become as a Dragon, and how does it try to balance the issues gained from this?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I'll take a whack at the benthic kings, or actually an alternate version. I love the one posted, but I also kind of want crabpires. Working the next few days, so it'll be a hot minute.

hell yeah, I'm looking forward to what you come up with. The Drowned are slightly crabbier in their features than the Benthic Kings, but they're also less ocean-floor.

I have made a google doc for the bloodlines from this thread:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fdu1KTjxEWLVsfkggjz5o9Uw20C-tGVGi9OKZJpGL3U/edit?usp=sharing

feel free to comment or edit, don't be a dickhead though. there is a template at the top for adding a new bloodline to the list, which i made based on the headings in the Bloodlines series of books. you don't have to fill out every section, and there are a lot of blanks in the existing bloodlines that can be filled in or not.

i'd like to finalise the Parasitism discipline based on what we talked about here, and figure out wtf to do with the benthic kings discipline (or if i should just give them majesty).

quoting this for a new page in case anyone else who was involved in the bloodlines discussion missed it. there's been some great additions already.

i got some ideas for other bloodlines but idk how good they are:

Jotnar - tall nordic nosferatu who become jacked when they use vigor powers but being burned by the sun turns the affected skin to stone

Pop. 96 - 'unfriendly local' looking nosferatu who every few years gather in very small towns to kill and replace weaker residents then hunt the stronger for sport in a night of bloodshed. those who survive the night are offered the embrace. they're expert trappers and can channel their dread presence through grisly scenes they set up with the dead. they're able to heighten the thrill of the hunt for both themselves and their prey, driving both to their best. responsible for a number of ghost towns across the USA.

Hollow Tongues - originally Hollow Mekhet who (intentionally or not) replaced their missing soul with mosquito spirits, they've since spread to every swampy region of the globe. they have long, hollow tongues they can lash out with to inflict harm and steal blood, and anyone their shadow touches hears the buzzing of a thousand mosquitos. extremely hated by werewolves.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 5, 2019

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hey so, what really is the difference between Presence and Dominate?

Other than the obvious which is the actual powers behave differently. But like, in the abstract don’t they end up accomplishing the same goal? You either make somebody do something with mind control, or you make somebody do something by being so cool and impressive. They just seem a bit too similar.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Presence makes someone to want to do something, Dominate forces them to do it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's control versus influence, and it can have profound impacts on the people you use the power on. Yeah you can use both to get someone to shoot a man for you, but how they do it is entirely different. Dominate just takes the wheels and makes someone do it. It's simple, and it's direct, and it's only what you make it. Because it makes people want to serve you, Presence can have more lingering consequences. If you use Loyalty to make someone kill for you, well, that doesn't instantly go away. By the time you even have Loyalty you are probably at at least BP 3. That means someone is going to feel that desire to serve you, that would let them kill for you, for 3 days. And you might have actively asked them to kill one person for you, but you now have 3 days of them using that desire and their free will to do whatever the hell they want. Who are they, how much do they know about you? Are they going to spend that time trying to track you down? What could they do in your name in the time they are driven?

Conversely a vampire with Dominate uses it to say "Kill that man, forget you did it". The consequences are only as intense as you let them be. As I said though, it's only what you make it. You tell that person to kill and forget, they kill and forget...and that's that. You make someone love you, and later on when that pesky Hunter jumps out of the crowd with a shotgun aimed at your face? They jump in front of you of their own volition. It's not something you have to ask them to do, it might not even be something you need [You have enough Celerity and Vigor to deal with it on your own, thank you very much], but they'll do it anyway because they love you. And hey, now you don't have to out yourself in front of the public. That heroic bouncer tackled the crazy man at the show talking about bloodsucking monsters. A round of applause for him.

It's also a thematic question of what type of predator you are at the end of the day, which should always be a fairly central issue to vampire.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

I seem to recall the pitch began as a Dragon game, in which light it looks a little more cohesive, with the idea of Hunger starting out more specifically as a compulsion to establish a Lair and cultivate a hoard.

From there, I imagine the development of the pitch into a full concept consisted of the game looking around and then falling down a spiral staircase for the rest of the summer.

"I'm Beast: the Primordial," Beast began yelling. "The normies better be worried, oh boy!"

When beast was first announced it was described in vague terms as "You have the soul of a monster so you are compelled to do monstery things" and Dragon was mentioned as one of the things. The first bit of actual flavor text we got was that story about the teenager being accosted in the lunchroom and her making the room temporarily be underwater. Which was flavorful, but given what we know now intensely creepy for all the wrong reasons.

It was only after that when Matt started clarifying that things went off the rails and people were sharply divided between the "This is intensely weird and honestly kind of creepy for how much it's taking joy out of punching down. Why are we abusing people?" and "WOO I'M GONNA NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET SOME MAGA CHUDS AS A PANSEXUAL DRAGON AND PEOPLE WILL LOVE ME FOR IT!" camps.

e: To clarify, the game basically constantly ignores the inherent power imbalance in being a supernatural creature that feeds upon normies meaning that you are always punching down. Even when you're getting petty revenge against your boss, you're only in a position to be abused by your boss because you as a supernatural creature allowed it.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 5, 2019

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Kurieg posted:

When beast was first announced it was described in vague terms as "You have the soul of a monster so you are compelled to do monstery things" and Dragon was mentioned as one of the things.

Yeah, but occasionally one of the writers drops a behind-the-scenes reference to what was going on in the internal pitch stage (see also: Geist began conceptually, at least in part, as a game about being angel-possessed), and I think I recall a comment about the Beast pitch having been a Dragon pitch that got expanded later. The pitch stage would have happened before it was ever even announced.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

For that matter, the Scarecrow Ministry entitlement for the Autumn Court is all about "Pretend to be a scary monster in the woods to scare people away from real estate", as their gimmick is that they guard entrances to the hedge and thin places where humans might run into creepy fae poo poo they don't want anyone else to poke that poo poo and get taken the way they were, complete with pretending to be a local ghost/cryptid legend.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

unseenlibrarian posted:

For that matter, the Scarecrow Ministry entitlement for the Autumn Court is all about "Pretend to be a scary monster in the woods to scare people away from real estate", as their gimmick is that they guard entrances to the hedge and thin places where humans might run into creepy fae poo poo they don't want anyone else to poke that poo poo and get taken the way they were, complete with pretending to be a local ghost/cryptid legend.
I really like the Scarecrow Ministry, both aesthetically and because the idea that the response changelings are most equipped to bring against something truly horrifying is "I dunno, just keep other people from going near it and steer clear yourself" because really: changelings.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Libertad! posted:

For what it's worth, I recall that Dave Brookshaw (one of the collabs on Beast) inserted the line about Beasts being buddies with Changeling's True Fey as a way of poking a hole in the Mary Sue bubble. Link is here.

I take this with a grain of salt, but given how sadistic and antagonistic Changeling's Gentry are, they're not exactly the type of faction PCs are expected to team up with in most lines.

Beasts are the only PC splat that is openly hostile to Humanity. Not human beings, which Vampires eat and all, but the core Humanism of the nWoD. Vampires, Changelings, and Mages worry about becoming distant from their human roots, Werewolves balance Humanity and your primal urges, and a number of Demons deeply cherish their human covers. Beasts, however, think that Humanity is dumb weak bullshit and don't get why Vampires et al. don't go all-in on their own Beastliness, or why Changelings don't embrace the cycle of abuse, because your victimization made you strong, and your strength gives you the right to victimize others. As you might notice, this is the attitude of your average antagonist group, because it's an attitude antagonistic towards the moral themes of the nWoD.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I could use a hand with something:

I'm making a newbie Gangrel that flat-out doesn't want to fight if he doesn't have to. I want to make him as defensive/remote as possible.
So a lot of animal control, Resilience and maybe swarm form.

Any special merits I should look at?

It's going to be modern with maybe some light future tech. Having a collapsible shield is within the limits.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Take Dominate as an extra in clan and skin ride a mortal so your character is never outside their haven at the bottom of a water-filled quarry

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shrecknet posted:

Take Dominate as an extra in clan and skin ride a mortal so your character is never outside their haven at the bottom of a water-filled quarry

Bud, I would absolutely love to play a sort of hat-changing puppermaster.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kurieg posted:

When beast was first announced it was described in vague terms as "You have the soul of a monster so you are compelled to do monstery things" and Dragon was mentioned as one of the things. The first bit of actual flavor text we got was that story about the teenager being accosted in the lunchroom and her making the room temporarily be underwater. Which was flavorful, but given what we know now intensely creepy for all the wrong reasons.

It was only after that when Matt started clarifying that things went off the rails and people were sharply divided between the "This is intensely weird and honestly kind of creepy for how much it's taking joy out of punching down. Why are we abusing people?" and "WOO I'M GONNA NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET SOME MAGA CHUDS AS A PANSEXUAL DRAGON AND PEOPLE WILL LOVE ME FOR IT!" camps.

e: To clarify, the game basically constantly ignores the inherent power imbalance in being a supernatural creature that feeds upon normies meaning that you are always punching down. Even when you're getting petty revenge against your boss, you're only in a position to be abused by your boss because you as a supernatural creature allowed it.

I still stand by the statement I made back when people were posting about Sneksy that the game would actually be pretty great as an Exalted sub-splat if it dropped the whole "Well, actually, abuse is pretty great really!" poo poo entirely. Or at least limited it to a "Okay, well, here's a case of this entity unabashedly using their powers in a way that marks them out as an unrepentant monster." thing that some of the other splats do to contrast an attempt at the humanist focus in the rest of the supernatural lines.

Stuff like Sneksy and all the other monsters in Beast at the high end aren't even really written in a way that fits into the street level and local play that the NWoD is mostly focused around outside of some odd bits and ends. Having a line like that in Exalted however would at the very least flesh out the setting of antagonists beyond lining up the next nameless, largely undescribed in canon, and highly expendable monstrous extra to get insta-gibbed by a newbie or mid tier exalt on the way to the next divine super-fight.

Playing as some rear end in a top hat monster trying to fly under the radar in a world of army destroying, god-slaying, kung fu immortals and divine politics so you don't get splattered all over the terrain (all while achieving whatever monstrous ambitions you set for yourself) would at least add a bit of a twist to that sort of setting.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 6, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Archonex posted:

I still stand by the statement I made back when people were posting about Sneksy that the game would actually be pretty great as an Exalted sub-splat if it dropped the whole "Well, actually, abuse is pretty great really!" poo poo entirely. Or at least limited it to a "Okay, well, here's a case of this entity unabashedly using their powers in a way that marks them out as an unrepentant monster." thing that some of the other splats do to contrast an attempt at the humanist focus in the rest of the lines.

Playing as some rear end in a top hat monster trying to fly under the radar in a world of army destroying, god-slaying, kung fu immortals and divine politics so you don't get splattered all over the terrain (all while achieving whatever monstrous ambitions you set for yourself) would at least add a bit of a twist to that sort of setting.

Stuff like Sneksy and all the other monsters in Beast at the high end aren't even really written in a way that fits into the street level and local play that the NWoD is mostly focused around outside of some odd bits and ends. Having a line like that in Exalted however would at the very least flesh out the setting of antagonists beyond lining up the next nameless, largely undescribed in canon, and highly expendable monstrous extra to get insta-gibbed by a newbie or mid tier exalt on the way to the next divine super-fight.

...Yes but that's literally all Beast has, remove the foundation and you don't even have the rape house. And Exalted is so far removed from CofD that at that point why even bother?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

i got some ideas for other bloodlines but idk how good they are:

How silly are we allowed to get with these?

In un-silly news, here's one quick idea I just had: Uiseong Uibeyong: The Righteous Militia In the Imjin occupation, as Japan invaded and began to dominate Korean society, a pair of Gangrel living as outcasts in an abandoned shrine vowed to turn their fangs against these newfound oppressors. They made their way to the center of the revolution, in the scholar's village of Uiseong. In every Confucian school, armies of students and scholars trained and studied, leading nighttime raids against the occupiers strongholds.
The unknown founders disguised themselves as fellow scholars from the north, and quickly rose to prominence for their skill with the bow. After skirmishes, the kindred would steal onto the battlefield and embrace those they could, sending these newly risen warriors to different fronts so as to avoid raising alarm.
Some would use the power of their vitae to ghoul and bind to service high-ranking enemy officials, feeding valuable information to uibeyong (lit "righteous militia") across the province. Others targeted their feedings only on traitors and profiteers, but all were united in their resistance to this violent occupation.
Covenant: Uibeyong are ignorant of the political struggles of the west and are largely unaware of the existence of other clans or bloodlines.
Disciplines: Standard, plus the following abilities:
Noolbu's Gift: Because one of the bloodline founders assisted an injured magpie in life, Animalism rolls against magpies and corvids require only 3 successes for Exceptional Success.
Blessing From The Parents: The hair, beards and fingernails of Uibeyong continue to grow, even in torpor. Moreover, they can only cut their own hair once per year, on the night of New Year's Day. If anyone but the Uibeyong's parents cut their hair, even accidentally, this may provoke frenzy.
However, this means Disguise checks can be made without equipment by waiting long enough. One point of blood can be spent to quickly grow out a foot of hair and nails.

Weakness: As they almost exclusively recruit from fallen soldiers, characters begin with a persistent wound, which can manifest each night as a negative Condition or a point of Lethal damage, both can be healed with one point of blood but they return the next night. Wounds do not have to remain consistent, what started as a point of damage one night may manifest as the Condition Lame the next, then Shellshocked afterwards. This is in addition to standard Gangrel drawbacks.

Character Creation: You were a scholar, second only to royalty in the hierarchy of pre-industrial Korea. War upended whatever plans your family set for you, and now you must fight to preserve your culture in the face of active oppression by a technologically superior empire. Art and archery, calligraphy and hand-to-hand combat, your hands hold more flintlock rifles than they used to, but at least you don't have to write so much poetry.

Society and Culture: You know your condition makes you a monster, as you grew up hearing tales of hopping gangshi and the evils they inflicted. However, this new lease on unlife has inspired you to depths of devotion to your community that you never before imagined. Instead of feeding on an innocent villager, Uibeyong will call forth all the rats from the rice fields and granaries, and devour them. No dishonor is too great for a Uibeyong to withstand if it serves family or village.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kurieg posted:

...Yes but that's literally all Beast has, remove the foundation and you don't even have the rape house. And Exalted is so far removed from CofD that at that point why even bother?

1e CofD had more than a few links to Exalted. There's little nods here and there to the earlier settings. Liminals are literally Prometheans for instance. With the name change, White Wolf getting Swed Dracula'd, and Holden and Morke pulling a Holden and Morke while 2e was becoming more of it's own thing that's not really a big deal though.

More than that though, poo poo like Sneksy really doesn't seem like it'd work in a NWoD/CofD game. The dude's basically a walking tank that no one would ever encounter outside of extremely specific circumstances given the attitudes and focus of most of the street level oriented characters in the CofD. Likewise, for most of the other high end Beasts.

One thing I always noticed in that particular WW game line was that outside of crazy bullshit like the Deathlords or similar high tier antagonists a lot of the lower tier stuff didn't really get much focus when it came to background and over-arching content. By that same token, what was there was mostly either generic stat blocks for random creatures or one-off antagonists that'd be more fitting for a single adventure. Giving that game line a fleshed out antagonist splat that isn't about the Exalted and enables free form themed monster creation would do wonders to alleviate the issue of seeing things like "Here is a stat block for a Strix. It looks like an owl. Have at it then." like many of the lower tier antagonists received in 2e and 3e onwards.

Plus, you gotta admit that it'd be cathartic as gently caress to be able to respond to the whole "Well actually my predatory abuse is good for humanity because..." nonsense with a Seven Day Punch of Soaring Nuclear Hellfire charm or whatever crazy bullshit you're likely to see in any given Exalted game that goes on for a bit.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 6, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes but Sneksy performs the purpose that all apex do in Beast, they're plot hooks that force plot upon the PCs because Beast lacks a core gameplay loop. He's not poorly designed for a beast antagonist, he's poorly designed because he is a beast antagonist.

Archonex posted:

Plus, you gotta admit that it'd be cathartic as gently caress to be able to respond to the whole "Well actually my predatory abuse is good for humanity because..." nonsense with a Seven Day Punch of Soaring Nuclear Hellfire charm or whatever crazy bullshit you're likely to see in any given Exalted game that goes on for a bit.

There are several other things that solve this problem that also still exist within the fiction of the CofD. Like gauru and going loud. Or whatever it is mages can do(Besides sic the furries on them).

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Yes but Sneksy performs the purpose that all apex do in Beast, they're plot hooks that force plot upon the PCs because Beast lacks a core gameplay loop. He's not poorly designed for a beast antagonist, he's poorly designed because he is a beast antagonist.

I'd argue that that's partially because they're so far out of the themes of the setting. Exalted by contrast has a built in reason to actively go after such things. Depending on the edition you're playing an inhumanly powerful, inhumanly driven, and at times inhumanly virtuous super-beings that absolutely would want to gently caress with them.

I mean, look at Sneksy's bio if you can. About the most flattering thing I can say about it is that it's basically the CofD equivalent to a beach episode antagonist. Most people wouldn't even bother with the thing normally. At their written best however, Exalt's however would probably be kung fu kicking each other in the nads to bring justice to some monster that feeds/survives by loving with humans.

quote:

There are several other things that solve this problem that also still exist within the fiction of the CofD. Like gauru and going loud. Or whatever it is mages can do(Besides sic the furries on them).

If I recall, aren't there terms that mean that even if you kill Beasts one part of them or another is liable to fritter off to gently caress things up even more? I know one of their "golconda" equivalents is literally "Whoops. You're free of the Beast. Also, it's free of you." in some sort of messed up damned if you do damned if you don't sort of potential ending.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 6, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Archonex posted:

I still stand by the statement I made back when people were posting about Sneksy that the game would actually be pretty great as an Exalted sub-splat if it dropped the whole "Well, actually, abuse is pretty great really!" poo poo entirely. Or at least limited it to a "Okay, well, here's a case of this entity unabashedly using their powers in a way that marks them out as an unrepentant monster." thing that some of the other splats do to contrast an attempt at the humanist focus in the rest of the supernatural lines.

this is like... so many of the antagonists in the Exalted setting already

its a lot of the Raksha in Creation, some demons/spirits by nature, or a way any particularly assholish essence-wielder can get a Cult going

beating down rear end in a top hat monsters trying to fly under the radar and gently caress with/victimize mortals is one of the main tasks of the Immaculate Order

LGD fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 6, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Archonex posted:

I'd argue that that's partially because they're so far out of the themes of the setting. Exalted by contrast has a built in reason to actively go after such things. Depending on the edition you're playing an inhumanly powerful, inhumanly driven, and at times inhumanly virtuous super-beings that absolutely would want to gently caress with them.

I mean, look at Sneksy's bio if you can. About the most flattering thing I can say about it is that it's basically the CofD equivalent to a beach episode antagonist. Most people wouldn't even bother with the thing normally. At their written best however, Exalt's however would probably be kung fu kicking each other in the nads to bring justice to some monster that feeds/survives by loving with humans.

If I recall, aren't there terms that mean that even if you kill Beasts one part of them or another is liable to fritter off to gently caress things up even more? I know one of their "golconda" equivalents is literally "Whoops. You're free of the Beast. Also, it's free of you." in some sort of messed up damned if you do damned if you don't sort of potential ending.
Alternately, and hear me out now.

STOP TRYING TO SALVAGE THINGS FROM BEAST, IT IS AN IRREVOCABLY TAINTED WORK AND DOES NOT NEED NOR DESERVE YOUR SYMPATHY

Sneksy does not exist as a real and physical thing. You importing it into an exalted game just so your Solar can double plus unmake it doesn't do anything. Like I'm not even going to correct you on your last point there. Just stop this line of questioning, it's deeply unhealthy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

LGD posted:

this is like... so many of the antagonists in the Exalted setting already

its a lot of the Raksha in Creation, some demons/spirits by nature, or a way for any particularly assholish essence-wielder can get a Cult going

A lot of those things can potentially be pretty nasty in a fight though. Certainly a lot of the more fleshed out ones don't fill that gap between "Mortal hero empowered by essence" and "demon that can punch a building in half.".

2e's mortal heroes tried to rectify that gap in power and the depth of content associated with it by giving you a splat-like platform to create more normal heroic characters and antagonists. But then hosed it up by effectively stranding them at the very bottom of the power rankings with no similar freeform designable antagonists at the middle tier of power to fight. Hell, I remember one of the books all but outright saying "Yeah, you're gonna die. Pray this adventure ends in your character getting Exalted!" at one point.

Though maybe the latest stuff from 3e changed that? I haven't checked it out yet. If so, I stand corrected.

Kurieg posted:

Alternately, and hear me out now.

STOP TRYING TO SALVAGE THINGS FROM BEAST, IT IS AN IRREVOCABLY TAINTED WORK AND DOES NOT NEED NOR DESERVE YOUR SYMPATHY

Sneksy does not exist as a real and physical thing. You importing it into an exalted game just so your Solar can double plus unmake it doesn't do anything. Like I'm not even going to correct you on your last point there. Just stop this line of questioning, it's deeply unhealthy.

It's interesting that you say i'm trying to salvage it when i'm pointing out that it's general mechanics and the level of power of Beast's are presented as having don't loving fit in with the CofD at all and are more similar to something you'd have expected to see in Exalted if it had been managed better. Read my posts instead of making assumptions about what it is I really mean, dude.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

How silly are we allowed to get with these?

In un-silly news, here's one quick idea I just had: Uiseong Uibeyong: The Righteous Militia In the Imjin occupation, as Japan invaded and began to dominate Korean society, a pair of Gangrel living as outcasts in an abandoned shrine vowed to turn their fangs against these newfound oppressors. They made their way to the center of the revolution, in the scholar's village of Uiseong. In every Confucian school, armies of students and scholars trained and studied, leading nighttime raids against the occupiers strongholds.
The unknown founders disguised themselves as fellow scholars from the north, and quickly rose to prominence for their skill with the bow. After skirmishes, the kindred would steal onto the battlefield and embrace those they could, sending these newly risen warriors to different fronts so as to avoid raising alarm.
Some would use the power of their vitae to ghoul and bind to service high-ranking enemy officials, feeding valuable information to uibeyong (lit "righteous militia") across the province. Others targeted their feedings only on traitors and profiteers, but all were united in their resistance to this violent occupation.
Covenant: Uibeyong are ignorant of the political struggles of the west and are largely unaware of the existence of other clans or bloodlines.
Disciplines: Standard, plus the following abilities:
Noolbu's Gift: Because one of the bloodline founders assisted an injured magpie in life, Animalism rolls against magpies and corvids require only 3 successes for Exceptional Success.
Blessing From The Parents: The hair, beards and fingernails of Uibeyong continue to grow, even in torpor. Moreover, they can only cut their own hair once per year, on the night of New Year's Day. If anyone but the Uibeyong's parents cut their hair, even accidentally, this may provoke frenzy.
However, this means Disguise checks can be made without equipment by waiting long enough. One point of blood can be spent to quickly grow out a foot of hair and nails.

Weakness: As they almost exclusively recruit from fallen soldiers, characters begin with a persistent wound, which can manifest each night as a negative Condition or a point of Lethal damage, both can be healed with one point of blood but they return the next night. Wounds do not have to remain consistent, what started as a point of damage one night may manifest as the Condition Lame the next, then Shellshocked afterwards. This is in addition to standard Gangrel drawbacks.

Character Creation: You were a scholar, second only to royalty in the hierarchy of pre-industrial Korea. War upended whatever plans your family set for you, and now you must fight to preserve your culture in the face of active oppression by a technologically superior empire. Art and archery, calligraphy and hand-to-hand combat, your hands hold more flintlock rifles than they used to, but at least you don't have to write so much poetry.

Society and Culture: You know your condition makes you a monster, as you grew up hearing tales of hopping gangshi and the evils they inflicted. However, this new lease on unlife has inspired you to depths of devotion to your community that you never before imagined. Instead of feeding on an innocent villager, Uibeyong will call forth all the rats from the rice fields and granaries, and devour them. No dishonor is too great for a Uibeyong to withstand if it serves family or village.

these guys are cool as heck, add em to the doc (unless you did already i didnt check).

as for how silly to get we can always add another section for sillier ones

one thing that really marks out beast as extra weird for me is the fact that the focus seems to be on feeding. like in vampire you have to feed on humans, but it's just a maintenance thing that the rest of the plot has developed from. the rest of the time you're doing conspiracies or fighting weird poo poo.

but all beasts seem to do is scare humans, and periodically take out special humans (that they create by scaring) who are too weak to ever harm them. you don't even come into conflict with other supernaturals, because your magic poochie powers make them love you for some reason.