Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Spiderboy VA reminds me of Toshio Furukawa although I looked at DBS Super Piccolo and an Ace flashback from a recent One Piece and it's... not quite. So I'm not sure.

But it was definitely the highest level voice acting I heard so far in the series. Almost felt wasted on such a minor villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Most of the VA's in this series even for minor characters are fairly big names.

Nezuko had a pretty notable actress and she only got like one line that was not grunts and growls.

Anyway Rui's voice actor is Kouki Uchiyama who is indeed Meruem and Tomura Shigaraki.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.

ThingOne posted:

This show doesn't get enough praise for it's sound design, that hunter hitting the ground in chunks was meaty.

Agreed. The crushing of Inosuke's head made me squirm. :eek:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
The art is great but the sound is incredible, im so glad to see this kind of quality for this story.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most of the VA's in this series even for minor characters are fairly big names.

Nezuko had a pretty notable actress and she only got like one line that was not grunts and growls.

Anyway Rui's voice actor is Kouki Uchiyama who is indeed Meruem and Tomura Shigaraki.

thanks, I realized I'm playing another game where he's the MC and that's why it's super familiar. Both characters are very different though.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Nezuko get outta the box and kick some rear end

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Nezuko get outta the box and kick some rear end

Yeah, seriously. It's night, there's no explanation why Nezuko hasn't done anything yet. Even from a thematic perspective, having her appear now, when the theme of family has become so important, would be obvious, yet she's...not.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i always thought she would've been a good fit against spiderdad

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dogsicle posted:

i always thought she would've been a good fit against spiderdad

Kind of hosed up to make your little sister fight spiders. Definitely not something a good older brother would do.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nezuko spending her whole life in the box is probably my biggest complaint about this series

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
She tends to kick a huge amount of rear end every time she gets out of it though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Nezuko spending her whole life in the box is probably my biggest complaint about this series

Nezuko is a weird aspect of the show in general. Like, they introduce and then as quickly as possible they come up with bizarre excuses for her to be a total non-character and to avoid ever having to actually write for her except every once in a while as comic relief.

It reminds me of Casca in Berserk a little, although it's better in some ways (not prompted by sexual trauma) and worse in others (Casca was at least an interesting and well-written character at one point until she was written out for decades, Nezuko's been reduced to an odd offstage presence basically from the first five minutes of the show.)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

She should be out of the box whenever it's night and they're not around people who would freak out

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nezuko spends most of her time sleeping because that's how she copes with being an aberration who doesn't consume anything to live.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah but I'd like it better if it had been written so that she sustained herself by munching on defeated demons or special medicine from demon doctor lady or what have you

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't argue with that

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I don't like that she's gagged 24/7, even when she's in the box. Is there even an in-story reason for that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's so she doesn't bite people. nezuko's superhumanly strong and her hands are free, so she could remove it any time she wanted.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

UnfurledSails posted:

I don't like that she's gagged 24/7, even when she's in the box. Is there even an in-story reason for that?
She isn't completely cured of the desire to eat human flesh so basically it's a security precaution; if she has trouble controlling it she bites down on the bindle. Also, she can't speak- I dunno if it was clearly explained in the anime so far but Nezuko is pretty far from 100% mentally. The only thing she knows/remembers is her family and that she loves them, and the mental imprinting from the old water pillar to make her see other humans as her family.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 5, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Mild spoiler from the manga she will fight a lot more in the coming story lines.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is also the fact that she kind of almost acts like an animal then a person at some points. Like a pet cat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nezuko's not zenitsu or inosuke and solo fights aren't really her thing. she's more of an extension of tanjirou. she's really important to the narrative but she's more motivation than person

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's never really clear how much of nezuko's intellect, personality and memories are left.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Manatee Cannon posted:

she's more of an extension of tanjirou

this sums up the problem rather elegantly

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, and it's kind of a big one imo. Back when Inosuke wanted to destroy the box, I was totally expecting her to come out and for the group to actually discuss this issue, but like, has Inosuke actually seen Nezuko yet? I'm an episode behind

Her napping for two years of her life is still pretty lol too

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the sun's still up so she can't come out of the box when he's beating up zenitsu but she does come out when they reach the inn

that's also when zenitsu first sees her and becomes insufferable for a while

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would probably say she doesn't even start as a character and only slightly becomes one, but without her participation in the story leading to a sudden shift in her state of being or the pov (like, moving inside her head) the issue won't get any better. so it's the sort of situation where i find it hard to care about her presence in the story so long as they use it for moments that amount to cool/cute gifs. i suppose i take joy in these small moments but it's fleeting...

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

nezuko's not zenitsu or inosuke and solo fights aren't really her thing. she's more of an extension of tanjirou. she's really important to the narrative but she's more motivation than person

Solo fights really aren't anyone's thing.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I love when Tanjiro is getting knocked away and Inosuke yells out "Kentaro!!" because he can't remember his name and it's not even addressed. Like we've established he can't remember names and we just accept this running joke, it's perfect.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I love when Tanjiro is getting knocked away and Inosuke yells out "Kentaro!!" because he can't remember his name and it's not even addressed. Like we've established he can't remember names and we just accept this running joke, it's perfect.

Hey now! He gets it right at least once every 7 tries!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

There's lore reasons for Nezuko to be inside the box but I still wish she would show up more in the series. I feel like the manga is ending soon so yeah.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
theres so much i wanna say about nezuko but i don't want to get all spoilery either.

in the meantime i will continue to assert that inosuke is clearly the best boy

this latest episode had me dying, "wait what the poo poo, tanjiro is infecting me with using my head! that's so not my style, gently caress this i just need to go harder!!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well that was awesome and beautifully animated.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So I kinda forgot... Why was this the anime of the year again.
*this episode happens*

Holy poo poo!

That animation! That music! That sound design! That voice acting! That everything!
And it all comes together in a single scene that basically puts the rest of the industry to shame.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 10, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The effects artists on this show are gods. :vince:

I kept waiting for Mismatched Haori to arrive and save Tanjiro but what actually happened was infinitely better.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

God drat that was one episode all right

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
God drat that was a hell of an episode. The animation, artwork, and animation were incredible. The family bonds were really touching too.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

holy gently caress ufotable

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
That was incredible, holy crap! What an episode.

The idea of Tanjiro knowing a second magic breathing technique never crossed my mind. I thought he'd probably try learning a second one at some point, he's a really smart kid and a hard worker, but secretly knowing one all along that his dad taught him and he'd never considered using it for combat until now was very cool. And Nezuko has a blood art now! Everything about this episode was incredible, both the plot beats and the fantastic animation/sound/VA/everything ufotable put into this. I am blown away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That episode!

Gave me chills from the halfway point on. Like, it was pretty expected that he was going to up-power and become more of a badass and such, but the execution was flawless. When he switched water to fire, I was going :O