Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Aerox posted:

Haven't seen too much chat about the new patch -- from what I'm seeing though the strategy is just rush Rengar and just 2/3 star whatever else comes your way?

I must be missing something, because trying this I am getting my rear end kicked. Rengar lives for like a whole five seconds before getting aced (even at silver) so I'm not sure exactly what he's bringing to the table here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phigs posted:

Gratz. You must have been feeling pretty good the last stretch of that game.

It is very satisfying when it clicks.

Kaedric posted:

I must be missing something, because trying this I am getting my rear end kicked. Rengar lives for like a whole five seconds before getting aced (even at silver) so I'm not sure exactly what he's bringing to the table here.

Laughs in Rengar

Right, you need a few things for it to work:

The point of Rengar is the synergy with his passive and the Wild Origin and how fast he attacks. You use Statikk Shiv to abuse it, and a Guardian Angel. As soon as he dies, he comes back and resumes auto-attacking and proccing insane damage to the entire enemy team.

So you need something like Warwick to proc his Origin, and then you combo it with Brawlers who'll be tanking all the damage while Rengar jumps around it. You also toss in a Zeke's on someone else.

I personally toss an Ionic on corner Blitz. The enemies never seem to favor attacking Blitz and he procs them like crazy. The guide recommends Cho with Morello but in every match I played a 2* Cho was dying very fast, sometimes without ulting. Sometimes a 2* Cho would die a lot faster than a 1* Blitz, so I ended up favoring Ionic on Blitz. He lives so long that sometimes he deals half the damage and the Rengar does the other half.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bloodthirster is another common item to see on Rengar to up his survivability.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Vermain posted:

I loving knew they were working on a fighter for their next game. High probability that it's the Legends of Runeterra trademark they registered not too long back.

So help an old man out here. What is the "fighting game" genre like these days? What should we expect from that being that it is Riot we're talking about?

e: dude in the video almost passed out at the news so it should be good right

isaboo fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 3, 2019

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

So help an old man out here. What is the "fighting game" genre like these days? What should we expect from that being that it is Riot we're talking about?

Going from their female artstyle I assume wild boob physics and each new character they release is going to cost a lot of money, being completely overpowered for a month or so?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
https://i.imgur.com/0odNTs1.mp4

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Greggster posted:

Going from their female artstyle I assume wild boob physics and each new character they release is going to cost a lot of money, being completely overpowered for a month or so?

Is this post from 2013? Every new champ they’ve made lately has been like 30% winrate on release

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 3, 2019

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

Enemy Vi: ez

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'

six sorcerers karthus + sorcerer cho is good

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

pahuyuth posted:

They bought out a small indie studio a couple years back that made a game known as Rising Thunder - for a lot of people it was considered pretty cool partially because, especially for a fighting game, it was very easy to learn and had probably one of the better tutorials for fighting games. If even half the people on Rising Thunder are working on what's almost certainly gonna be this League fighting game it should be easy enough to learn comparitively.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Monathin posted:

They bought out a small indie studio a couple years back that made a game known as Rising Thunder - for a lot of people it was considered pretty cool partially because, especially for a fighting game, it was very easy to learn and had probably one of the better tutorials for fighting games. If even half the people on Rising Thunder are working on what's almost certainly gonna be this League fighting game it should be easy enough to learn comparitively.

The guy who made the announcement is one of the founders of Radiant Entertainment(makers of Rising Thunder), and he goes on to talk about their goal with LoL fighter being to make fighting games more accessible. So it should definitely be easier to learn. They bought Radiant over 3 years ago at this point though, and they say their new game is still far away from launch so hopefully all that time produces something worthwhile.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Elentor posted:

He did carry me to Plat

Blessed be, he carried me too.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

M. Night Skymall posted:

The guy who made the announcement is one of the founders of Radiant Entertainment(makers of Rising Thunder), and he goes on to talk about their goal with LoL fighter being to make fighting games more accessible. So it should definitely be easier to learn. They bought Radiant over 3 years ago at this point though, and they say their new game is still far away from launch so hopefully all that time produces something worthwhile.

I just don't know if the thread can support three games from riot...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know, there’s barely enough content for one thread.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

pahuyuth posted:

Another thing that has the chunk of fighting game Twitter I follow excited is the potential for really really good netcode. Fighting games need tighter netcode than the vast majority of online games, and big studios have been known to completely gently caress it up, even with good solutions like GGPO available.

Riot obviously understands the importance of minimizing latency and - and here’s the exciting part- has a better network framework than anyone else making fighting games right now.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavelcade posted:

Blessed be, he carried me too.

I'm not sure how to stop... Rengar... it is too powerful. My body can't contain.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally I'm finding my TFT joy dying out to several cursed blades and teams frozen by Glacials, I know it's because I'm bad but it's still not very fun to watch in the end. Guess it's time to get on that Rengar train, alternatively OCE as always has a different, entirely unique, garbage meta in every part of League for me to hate.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Can never get a gold guy, do you just have to reroll a lot?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

uguu posted:

Yep

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

uguu posted:

You just have to identify which characters nobody is paying any attention to. The more people keep discarding a character without buying it, the more often it'll show up in your hand.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally I'm finding my TFT joy dying out to several cursed blades and teams frozen by Glacials, I know it's because I'm bad but it's still not very fun to watch in the end. Guess it's time to get on that Rengar train, alternatively OCE as always has a different, entirely unique, garbage meta in every part of League for me to hate.

Heh sucker my tft joy died out when they released the patch with twisted fate. Before that I enjoyed tft a heck ton because preparing for the late game was where it's at and suffering small early losses was a no biggie to get that five economy. Now it's a biggie to get hurt early and it's not nearly as worth working up for late game champs as it was before.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Current patch is all about Cho and Karthus at level 7 and 8 (and Rengar too, granted)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Don't forget Swain, Yasuo, Anivia, and Kayle!

Every tier 5 except MF is stupid powerful and we're getting to them like every game now. Not really a fan I have to say. I won one game with Swain 2, Karthas 2, and Anivia 2 (and 2 Kayle's on the bench). It basically makes the top 4 about who managed to jam the 5s, not who drafted the best overall comp. Which is close to fine because that basically translates to who had enough econ to get high level and roll down enough to get them, but the payoff is too big and wipes out everything that came before.

I feel like the rest of the game is pretty solid though. You've got a lot more options now on how to get to top 4. They just have to decide whether to make 5s rare and powerful, or just another tier of units you use late game. Them being both at the moment kinda sucks.

Still in awe they buffed Karthas.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Heh sucker my tft joy died out when they released the patch with twisted fate. Before that I enjoyed tft a heck ton because preparing for the late game was where it's at and suffering small early losses was a no biggie to get that five economy. Now it's a biggie to get hurt early and it's not nearly as worth working up for late game champs as it was before.

I'm confused, didn't they reduce the amount of damage you take from losses drastically?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 3, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm confused, didn't they reduce the amount of damage you take from losses drastically?

Yes, but they only reduced the damage you take from mid/lategame compositions. You take just as much damage early trying to econ as you did. I often see 1-3 people knocked out before chickens.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I had a dream that Xerath had to ride around in a wheelchair, but the wheelchair had rockets so it actually made him move way faster

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm convinced Gangplank is actually the best 7th member to a Noble's synergy.

Get's Lucian's gunslinger online, only 1 more blademaster unit like Draven or Bork to get the blademaster synergy on and once gangplank has both synergies he is surprisingly damaging, people are probably still in the early mindset that gangplank is a trash unit but far from it.

Also helps gets nobles online if you go pirates early and gangplank helps with that.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm convinced Gangplank is actually the best 7th member to a Noble's synergy.

Get's Lucian's gunslinger online, only 1 more blademaster unit like Draven or Bork to get the blademaster synergy on and once gangplank has both synergies he is surprisingly damaging, people are probably still in the early mindset that gangplank is a trash unit but far from it.

Also helps gets nobles online if you go pirates early and gangplank helps with that.

His barrels can be ridiciously strong just because of how big the AOE is on them. Granted, they're also incredibly random, but his having blademaster AND gunslinger means he'll be able to dish out a lot of damage with the proper units with him.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lord_Magmar posted:

Can confirm it is both because you are lower ranked and because OCE. Lower ranked players love the gunslingers. Probably because they're so easy to play if you just roll down. And for whatever reason OCE is infested with gunslingers also up to at least plat. I stopped playing my diamond OCE account because queue times were getting annoying. Even in plat the queue times were pushing 5 minutes at times. NA has much less gunslingers on it even at low ranks and the higher ranks have much better queue times. Definitely recommend an NA (or EUW) account if you can be bothered. The lag's not too bad at all as long as you're using hotkeys (selling by dragging can delay and is a pita).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, obviously it’s because all Australians are bushrangers and pirates at heart, we just want to watch guns go boom and make gold. I’m part of the problem because I love gunslingers, I’m just not a fan of how Cursed Blade seems to activate 75% of the time and on a Gunslinger activates off the extra shots, same as Red buff.

Maybe I’ll be better at the game next patch with the Hextech addition helping both Gunslingers late and Blademasters early.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
https://i.imgur.com/TWsqLVW.mp4

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Well played.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
actually it was poorly played but his op champion (hello riot nerf?)

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 4, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In TFT I think Lucian and Gangplank might be the two strongest early units in the game, Lucian in particular can abuse so many items better then anyone, if it has a on-hit or on-cast damage component he will carry your team for the early game and disable the other teams powerhouses in the late game.

Been winning a lot of games by just abusing those two units and going a mix of pirates/gunslingers/blademasters/6 nobles depending on what comes up, basically went from silver to plat overnight abusing how strong guns and blades are with noble synergy.

And a special mention to the hilarity of putting two gunblades on Gangplank and watching him tank enemy teams down to 10% and then full heal himself with a barrel detonation and probably applying the noble life on hit.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I'm poo poo at this game, but I love me some Aatrox chaosdunks.

https://i.imgur.com/2KyUfUU.mp4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

The guy who made the announcement is one of the founders of Radiant Entertainment(makers of Rising Thunder), and he goes on to talk about their goal with LoL fighter being to make fighting games more accessible.

For those who didn't follow Rising Thunder closely, the big difference between it and other fighters was that most special moves that would normally require rapid inputs (like a Shoryuken) were instead single input cooldowns. Considering how closely it tracks to League's basic gameplay, that style would be a natural fit for a Riot-developed fighter.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

After a night of games, it's really getting to me how much of a coin flip Glacial is. Sometimes it's a decent speed bump, sometimes you don't even notice it, and other times it shuts the opponent down for the entire round eat poo poo rear end in a top hat.

I just had to smash my Assassin/Ninja team against a guy for 5 consecutive rounds waiting for the dice to land in my favour to both make the AI attack Ashe and also not have all 4 of the Glacials on their team not string stuns til I die :argh:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ok anyone got any tips for this new game mode? I'd managed to avoid the whole auto chess genre for a long time but now it's in League and my usual group of game playing friends have started playing it to the exclusion of everything else and I am loving dogshit at it. Keep getting knocked out and then basically just having to watch everyone else play for like 20 minutes which is the opposite of fun.

All the guides I got when I searched while at work today were from when the game first released and were already full of jargon that seemed like you needed to know the genre very well. The search engine I am corporately mandated to use is really crap though so that might be why I was getting served very old guides.

The other day I managed to almost pull it back from being the lowest the whole game, my Swain had managed to kill everyone on my mates board but time ran out right when he was about to kill his last guy while Swain was at full health so that was a draw.... that still ended with me dying which was very frustrating and seemed like horseshit to me.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Ok anyone got any tips for this new game mode? I'd managed to avoid the whole auto chess genre for a long time but now it's in League and my usual group of game playing friends have started playing it to the exclusion of everything else and I am loving dogshit at it. Keep getting knocked out and then basically just having to watch everyone else play for like 20 minutes which is the opposite of fun.

All the guides I got when I searched while at work today were from when the game first released and were already full of jargon that seemed like you needed to know the genre very well. The search engine I am corporately mandated to use is really crap though so that might be why I was getting served very old guides.

The other day I managed to almost pull it back from being the lowest the whole game, my Swain had managed to kill everyone on my mates board but time ran out right when he was about to kill his last guy while Swain was at full health so that was a draw.... that still ended with me dying which was very frustrating and seemed like horseshit to me.
let me give you some basic terminology which might help you.

econ: economy, when used in tft it usually means "save your money" as every 10 gold gives you 1 income.
tribes/synergies: having fiora, lucian, and garen is 3 nobles for instance. noble here denotes a tribe or a synergy. technically they are called origins/classes but nobody says this. people will talk about stuff like "void 3 assassin" which means 3 void units(usually cho gath, kassadin, and kha zix) and three assassins.
(lose/win) streak: when you lose or win games in a row you get a bonus income. the lose streak helps you catch up, in addition with tanking your health so you get first pick at the carousel.
fast (x): what level to go for as fast as you can. this means saving gold to spend it all on a level up. for instance, fast 4 means you spend 4 gold at the beginning to hit level 4 and field four units.
level X/X star: when referring to units, this refers to their star level. i denote this as "2*" or "3*" to save time as a shorthand. please use "X star" instead of "level X" to avoid confusion with the player level. you might also see "bronze/silver/gold"
cost/tier: when referring to unit, this refers to how much they cost. high cost units require a higher little legend level to purchase.

with that in mind, the best strategy i have so far is to do fast 6 into econ, which means you quickly level up to 6(RUSH through 4 and 5, and save up money until you can spend it all on 6... if you spend all your money you miss out on valuable income gold which will make you get it slower) and then start stockpiling money.

until level 6, your goals are to get strong early game units and some rudimentary synergies. i am talking like, 3 nobles, or 2 gunslingers... just petty stuff like that. if you can grab an early 2* unit(3 of one kind), go ahead and do so. by leveling quickly and fielding units you are likely to perform well early game.

once you hit level 6, continue building good units that fit your existing synergies while stockpiling money - pick up any good units you see(strong things like chogath, draven, asol, shyvana... but also units that fit your existing synergy. maybe you see a khazix), do not be miserly, but use this time to take stock of what you have on your bench, what you have, and what items you can build. for example, if i have a gnar, and i can make shivs, i am going to gravitate towards a shapeshifter/yordle type of thing.

if you have a strong start of gunslingers, if you are close to 6 nobles, if you have a beefy aatrox or something... go ahead and use your existing synergy. if you have a 3* tristana for example who am i to tell you to pivot off gunslingers. just remember to build around what items you have, trying to force a gunslinger carry build with only tank items is not going to be effective.

finally, scout the other players out. see what they are doing. if 3 people are trying to build yordles sell that gnar you have and do something else. let them fight in the rat race and deal with whoever emerges king of that hill. there is no reason to gamble with that poo poo when you can take another route and play other stuff.

in short, fast 6 and econ, build around your items, and scout to make sure your build is feasible in your game. be patient. do not lose the early game, be unafraid to take some losses in the midgame, and build your ideal lategame strategy based around what you have available and what is on the field. note that i am not diamond and my credentials are only that i have never lost a game since i adopted this style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

econ: economy, when used in tft it usually means "save your money" as every 10 gold gives you 1 income.
tribes/synergies: having fiora, lucian, and garen is 3 nobles for instance. noble here denotes a tribe or a synergy. technically they are called origins/classes but nobody says this. people will talk about stuff like "void 3 assassin" which means 3 void units(usually cho gath, kassadin, and kha zix) and three assassins.
(lose/win) streak: when you lose or win games in a row you get a bonus income. the lose streak helps you catch up, in addition with tanking your health so you get first pick at the carousel.
fast (x): what level to go for as fast as you can. this means saving gold to spend it all on a level up. for instance, fast 4 means you spend 4 gold at the beginning to hit level 4 and field four units.
level X/X star: when referring to units, this refers to their star level. i denote this as "2*" or "3*" to save time as a shorthand. please use "X star" instead of "level X" to avoid confusion with the player level. you might also see "bronze/silver/gold"
cost/tier: when referring to unit, this refers to how much they cost. high cost units require a higher little legend level to purchase.

Yeah all the tribe and synergy stuff came to me pretty quickly cause that's poo poo I'm used to in games. The economy, picking heroes and knowing when to pivot stuff though, that is very helpful, that feels more like a card game or something which explains why they've all taken to it pretty well while it's basically numberwang to me.