Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is 13 ok enough to daily drive at this point for the XS or are there any lingering things still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
It’s been fine on my XS.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
PB4 has been much less buggy than PB3, I've been having very few problems on my XS, mostly just some rendering issues on 3rd party apps.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is 13 ok enough to daily drive at this point for the XS or are there any lingering things still?

If you have a watch, there is a bug that drains its battery pretty quickly, even if the watch is on 5.3

Otherwise it has been pretty good

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Jeez the Face ID unlock in 13 feels so much faster than before. Not that it ever felt slow, but wow.

What phone do you have? I haven't noticed an improvement on the X, but it has the slower Face ID.

KKKLIP ART posted:

The glitches are mostly with apps now. In Words with Friends the chat keyboard doesn't work so everyone thinks I'm ignoring their 'good game' comments. The search feature doesn't always work either. So it's mostly keyboard issues for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krispy Wafer posted:

What phone do you have? I haven't noticed an improvement on the X, but it has the slower Face ID.

XR. It never felt slow but now it feels almost instantaneous. Kinda like how the improvement for Touch ID went up between models.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The Gillman posted:

If you have a watch, there is a bug that drains its battery pretty quickly, even if the watch is on 5.3

Otherwise it has been pretty good

Cool, In that case I'll hold off. I miss having the dark mode when I swapped from my 7 to the XS

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I guess this gets brought up a lot, but what should I look for in an aftermarket CarPlay head unit in 2019? I figure capacitive touch is a must-have. Is wireless CarPlay a game-changer in real-world use? Do external mics improve Siri a lot? Does performance change much between different models of the usual brands (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc)? I'll be using the resources on Crutchfield and the like to make sure it fits in my car of course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wireless CarPlay is a must have if you're looking to upgrade.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Minidust posted:

I guess this gets brought up a lot, but what should I look for in an aftermarket CarPlay head unit in 2019? I figure capacitive touch is a must-have. Is wireless CarPlay a game-changer in real-world use? Do external mics improve Siri a lot? Does performance change much between different models of the usual brands (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc)? I'll be using the resources on Crutchfield and the like to make sure it fits in my car of course.

The ILX-107 I think it is, is what I have, and definitely a thread favorite. It is bare bones as far as a general head unit, like no ports on the front, no disc drive. Volume is touch, which I’m not a fan of.

Performance does change a lot. I had another CarPlay unit, but it had severe lag. The 107 is extremely crisp and responsive, honestly try to check out a demo unit or YouTube.

Wireless CarPlay: you never knew what you were missing. A luxury, but game changer for sure. I didn’t think I’d care about it, but jumping in real quick for an errand and leaving your phone in your pocket is cool.

If you’re gonna have phone calls in any capacity, absolutely get an external mic

KKKLIP ART posted:

Siri doesn’t seem to work for me on the x, and sometimes navigation bugs out, but it’s usable.

Brain Issues posted:

Install an adblocker on your phone, adguard works well on Safari for me.

I always kinda assumed this was an android thing. I largely use chrome.

What are the good adblockers for chrome? I think there’s extensions, but a whole phone one would be cool. I think I had one before.

Only problem is as-is par for the course, a good adblocker comes out, gains notoriety, then sells out

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 4, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yup, works great on my Maxxxxxxxx.

Only issue I've noticed is that the progress bar in Books can be inaccurate, by showing you're at the end of a chapter of an audiobook, but it still keeps going. That and when I tap on a notification for Google Photos, it crashes the app. Other than those minor issues, it's great. Health updates are cool too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don't have any watch battery complaints but Apple Maps flat out doesn't work in CarPlay for me - as soon as I try an open it it crashes and won't let any app start. Google Maps works just fine though so I just need to remember not to tap on Apple maps by mistake.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What are the good adblockers for chrome? I think there’s extensions, but a whole phone one would be cool. I think I had one before.

I haven't done this, but you could set up a private pi-hole server for as little as $5/month (or free, if you're able to host it yourself) that would block ads on all of your devices by pretending to be a VPN. This is the same mechanism that other whole phone adblockers use except that a bunch of those VPN services are probably owned by a foreign state run surveillance company.

For what it's worth I have a pi-hole set up on my local network and I don't think I have ever seen ad injected into my YouTube unless I'm on my phone on LTE data, so it's pretty great even if just for a local network.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Brain Issues posted:

Install an adblocker on your phone, adguard works well on Safari for me.

Thanks, I have one but apparently I whitelisted some websites a while ago. I guess if they now have autoplaying videos I’m going to have to block them again.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Man, Siri is really weird sometimes. I can ask her "what is a pen" and "what are pens" or "remind me to buy pens" and so on and she has no trouble understanding the word pen(s). But when I say "remind me to inventory my/the pens" she keeps thinking I'm saying "pants." Like every single time. No matter how slow I speak or how much I enunciate the word pens she always writes pants instead. It doesn't seem like it has anything to do with how I'm saying the word because she can understand the word pens in any other context… just not when it comes to inventories.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I took a 20-minute time lapse video of my pocket tonight.

I somehow managed to butt dial my ex yesterday. Guess I forgot to remove her from my emergency contacts list. Hopefully the mic didn’t pick up too much....

Fuckin awkward.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Man, Siri is really weird sometimes. I can ask her "what is a pen" and "what are pens" or "remind me to buy pens" and so on and she has no trouble understanding the word pen(s). But when I say "remind me to inventory my/the pens" she keeps thinking I'm saying "pants." Like every single time. No matter how slow I speak or how much I enunciate the word pens she always writes pants instead. It doesn't seem like it has anything to do with how I'm saying the word because she can understand the word pens in any other context… just not when it comes to inventories.

Do you have enough pants? You should take inventory.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For those on the Apple Upgrade program, do they offer the program online at launch?

Finally looking to upgrade from my 7 (as the drat lightning cable won't stay in unless its PERFECTLY fit) and I figured a new phone each year with AppleCare+ wouldn't be a bad thing.

I've never used the program before, so uh...anything in particular I should know or watch out for?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I somehow managed to butt dial my ex yesterday. Guess I forgot to remove her from my emergency contacts list. Hopefully the mic didn’t pick up too much....

Fuckin awkward.

LOL were you hanging and chatting with your current partner?

The butt dial is real, and unsurprisingly folks think you’re lying about it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I’ve been with AT&T for years without issue. Randomly when I lose LTE/5Ge and fall back to 4g my connection completely dies. No data at all works on 4G. Anyone ever see this before? This is on an Xs with an esim. Maybe I should remove the esim and reregister it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

LOL were you hanging and chatting with your current partner?

The butt dial is real, and unsurprisingly folks think you’re lying about it.

Yes. Yes I was. I was in a crowded location though and didn’t say anything ridiculous but still no one wants to hear all that.

The butt dial is very real. Thanks emergency contacts!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I accidentally called 911 with my watch via SOS. Thought I hung up in time before it rang, but I got a call back. Thankfully I quickly explained, apologizing profusely, and the operator was cool about it

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I accidentally called 911 with my watch via SOS. Thought I hung up in time before it rang, but I got a call back. Thankfully I quickly explained, apologizing profusely, and the operator was cool about it

I wound up disabling that on my watch - I'm left handed and wear it on my right wrist with the crown on the left. Bending my wrist up tends to hold against the crown and has brought up the dialer before. I stopped it during the countdown all but once, but cancelled the call before it connected. Then the next day I turned on my bluetooth headphones, held the play button a little too long, and it started redialing 911 - since I almost never make voice calls on my phone, that was the last call made.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dutchbstrd posted:

I’ve been with AT&T for years without issue. Randomly when I lose LTE/5Ge and fall back to 4g my connection completely dies. No data at all works on 4G. Anyone ever see this before? This is on an Xs with an esim. Maybe I should remove the esim and reregister it?

Check with ATT and google search, the question is whether eSIM is H+ (4G) and LTE, or LTE only. On Verizon it’s LTE only. For ATT I would think it would work on both, but you never know.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

They might still come shoot your dog, better move just in case.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

Rolo posted:

Don't be ridiculous, they could have sent actual public servants, like EMS or Fire Fighters.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

EconOutlines posted:

For those on the Apple Upgrade program, do they offer the program online at launch?

Finally looking to upgrade from my 7 (as the drat lightning cable won't stay in unless its PERFECTLY fit) and I figured a new phone each year with AppleCare+ wouldn't be a bad thing.

I've never used the program before, so uh...anything in particular I should know or watch out for?

The past couple years they’ve allowed you to have the credit checks done to prequalify for AUP a day or two ahead of launch and then use it as payment at launch.

Make sure you don’t have your credit frozen or blocked and it does count as a “hard” credit check if you’re in the middle of doing something where that’s a concern like getting a mortgage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tested DND While Driving on the way to work this morning. Had it set to Automatic, then checked it had kicked in and saw the 'You will not get notifications now' thing, so it had enabled...

Then proceeded to get 9 text dings and popups that covered my navigation in the space of 20 minutes.

I don't see why DND itself tends to work perfectly, and this version of it is completely and utterly broken regardless of which software version you use.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

TVs Ian posted:

I wound up disabling that on my watch - I'm left handed and wear it on my right wrist with the crown on the left. Bending my wrist up tends to hold against the crown and has brought up the dialer before. I stopped it during the countdown all but once, but cancelled the call before it connected. Then the next day I turned on my bluetooth headphones, held the play button a little too long, and it started redialing 911 - since I almost never make voice calls on my phone, that was the last call made.

You can just turn the watch around so the crown points to the elbow & change the screen orientation. At least that’s what I did. It’s weird at first but you get used to it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Duckman2008 posted:

Check with ATT and google search, the question is whether eSIM is H+ (4G) and LTE, or LTE only. On Verizon it’s LTE only. For ATT I would think it would work on both, but you never know.

It used to work fine though, I've had esim for many months now and this problem only popped up a week or two ago

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

I think I did too. Want to say it is enabled by default?

Rolo posted:

:chloe:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yes but like I said that setting is there but it doesn’t do anything because there is no way to actually follow an artist.

You used to be able to do it which is why I get notifications for those artists but you can’t follow new ones.

I have not tried using siri to do it.

Fake edit : I just tried to say “hey Siri follow this artist” and it just bounces off.

My friend just made an app for this! https://apps.apple.com/us/app/numu-new-music-tracker/id1158641228

e: Not my friend. Just a developer buddy sharing the app.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

fordan posted:

The past couple years they’ve allowed you to have the credit checks done to prequalify for AUP a day or two ahead of launch and then use it as payment at launch.

Make sure you don’t have your credit frozen or blocked and it does count as a “hard” credit check if you’re in the middle of doing something where that’s a concern like getting a mortgage.

I can see them doing that the first time but doesn't a hard pull stay on your record for 2 years? It doesn't make sense to be doing it repeatedly each year, i.e. open the loan, close it and open a new one.

Not leaning towards it as much now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Probably a silly question, but when it comes to public beta is there a set amount of updates they’ll hit before it goes public PB3, 4, etc. Is this outlined at all?

or is it just however many they need

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Usually dev beta 2 is public beta 1 for the major releases.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any pro tips if I keep getting 400X errors when trying to restore an iPhone SE? I brought it to the fruit stand, and it did the same thing for them. They said I'd be best off replacing the phone, as it's probably a hardware failure, but I wanted to check here before I really gave up on it. Not sure if there's a debug mode for restore or anything.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

nitsuga posted:

Any pro tips if I keep getting 400X errors when trying to restore an iPhone SE? I brought it to the fruit stand, and it did the same thing for them. They said I'd be best off replacing the phone, as it's probably a hardware failure, but I wanted to check here before I really gave up on it. Not sure if there's a debug mode for restore or anything.

Depends on the error number, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204770

Different cable/computer is my usual go to, if you’re on Windows you can try the iTunes Diagnostics for connectivity tests.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Probably a silly question, but when it comes to public beta is there a set amount of updates they’ll hit before it goes public PB3, 4, etc. Is this outlined at all?

or is it just however many they need
It's one less than the number of dev betas.

The number of dev betas is as many as they need.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Tested DND While Driving on the way to work this morning. Had it set to Automatic, then checked it had kicked in and saw the 'You will not get notifications now' thing, so it had enabled...

Then proceeded to get 9 text dings and popups that covered my navigation in the space of 20 minutes.

I don't see why DND itself tends to work perfectly, and this version of it is completely and utterly broken regardless of which software version you use.

I think Automatic is based on motion. Do you have a lot of stop and go on your drive?

Personally mine is set to Bluetooth and that seems to work fine. It also stops the feature from activating when I'm a passenger in someone else's car.

It also turns off if you are connected to CarPlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t have CarPlay so that shouldn’t be affecting it at least, and I was getting the messages while moving. I’ll set it to manual on my way home but I’m less likely to get a barrage of texts in the evening.