Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Translator's Note: Farog means Struggle.

Wait...wait wait wait! It´s....it´s ...My Struggle? Translated to German as "Mein Kampf"?...are loving kidding me?!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr.Misfit posted:

Wait...wait wait wait! It´s....it´s ...My Struggle? Translated to German as "Mein Kampf"?...are loving kidding me?!!

I have some grave news about Varg Vikernes my man.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a vaguely goon-approved list of Good RPGs? I'm looking to expand my collection.

Try Free League Publishing's line of games (they all share the same system): Mutant Year Zero, Coriolis, Forbidden Lands, Tales from the Loop and Symbaroum

https://frialigan.se/en/startpage/

I highly recommend Mutant: Year Zero.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a vaguely goon-approved list of Good RPGs? I'm looking to expand my collection.

Spire, Spellbound Kingdoms and Ars Magica, to name three personal favorites that get general goon approval.

Ars Magica has a good deal going on over on the bundle of holding, by the by.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 5, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks goons, I'll look around some more at those suggestions. I've already got several 4e books as we just finished a campaign I ran.

Arivia posted:

FATAL, Myfarog, Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades.

It says a lot that you of all people have grouped Pathfinder with FATAL :v:.

:thejoke:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There isn’t really a goon hivemind beyond 4e good. That said you should get Good Society and Jane Austen it up.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Crossposting from the 4e thread because I'm desperate.

FishFood posted:

Has anyone used Masterplan for Gamma World? I'm trying to find an addon that adds in Gamma World's origins and energy types and have been coming up short. Does anyone have any background writing addons for Masterplan? google is showing basically nothing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wrestlepig posted:

There isn’t really a goon hivemind beyond 4e good. That said you should get Good Society and Jane Austen it up.

I would say there are four major factions in TG

1. people who just want a better version of D&D 4E and, frankly, would probably be happier just playing board games

2. people who think literally everything, even if it's a story about invading dungeons to kill things and take their stuff, should be a fiction-first story game using PBTA or FATE rules, maybe Fiasco if you're feeling saucy

3. the loose federation of Jenna Moran / Greg Stolze / Burning Wheel / World of Darkness fans, for people who are confused by the very suggestion that narrative and crunch are somehow opposites and whose GMs are secretly alien supercomputers rather than normal people

4. the OSR and/or various old editions of D&D fans who are constantly on defensive because everyone else is always criticizing them, and while some of those criticisms are correct enough to make them insecure, a lot of them fail to understand what makes those old games appealing and throw out the baby with the bathwater

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

1. people who just want a better version of D&D 4E and, frankly, would probably be happier just playing board games

2. people who think literally everything, even if it's a story about invading dungeons to kill things and take their stuff, should be a fiction-first story game using PBTA or FATE rules, maybe Fiasco if you're feeling saucy

3. the loose federation of Jenna Moran / Greg Stolze / Burning Wheel / World of Darkness fans, for people who are confused by the very suggestion that narrative and crunch are somehow opposites and whose GMs are secretly alien supercomputers rather than normal people

4. the OSR and/or various old editions of D&D fans who are constantly on defensive because everyone else is always criticizing them, and while some of those criticisms are correct enough to make them insecure, a lot of them fail to understand what makes those old games appealing and throw out the baby with the bathwater

I'm basically a mix of 1 and 4

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
you forgot the faction of people who suggest you run everything in the JTRPG du jour

e: also tbz is really good you guys

Leraika fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 5, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm about a 2.5, with a splash of the forbidden "would run/play loving SenZar if anyone would play with me" Tier 5

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mr.Misfit posted:

They are. It's short for "Mythic Fantasy Roleplaying Game" and doesn't have any secret meaning. It's written by a psychopathic murdering Nazi and would-be terrorist, but it's title isn't anything nefarious. The content, however...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regarding what to play, whatever works, works in my case.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think the problem is your argument is I literally do all those things. I've played strike, I've made powered by the Apocalypse and fate hacks on top of playing them and constantly by more and more games using the pbta engine and running them all at least once, I own chuubos and I've been trying to run it again and I own Burning Wheel and I ran it twice and I own better angels and Wild Talents and I want to run it and played it twice, and I created and ran the old school Adventure Club here and love Dungeon Crawl classics and made a osr hack once.

I guess I am the Uber TG goon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also the faction chart is missing you know, the people who actually play TCGs, CCGs, boardgames and wargames.

e: actually I think I'm becoming 1 because I've only been in only one RPG on SA and one outside lately but have been playing wargames regularly for the last six months since I found a local scene

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Plutonis posted:

Also the faction chart is missing you know, the people who actually play TCGs, CCGs, boardgames and wargames.

the board game, wargame, chess, mahjong, and go threads do not actually exist and i refuse to hear otherwise

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bought Never Going Home at GenCon. It's WW1 with Hellboy-esque otherworldly monstrosities. Like if the Battle of Ypres included hell-monsters and shaman magic. So if atrocities and devastating nihilistic conflict aren't enough for you, you can have that along with a golem monstrosity made of severed trenchfeet!!

I do think the setting is very interesting, but I haven't brought it to table yet so I don't know how crunchy it is.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 6, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Covok posted:

I guess I am the Uber TG goon.
Or...you know...deranged.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ilor posted:

Or...you know...deranged.

I mean, I'm playful. In reality, I just got really into tabletop games cause I used to be part of a board gaming club and I have diverse tastes.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, no, I didn't mean deranged in a bad way. :)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As a guy who was once trapped in the D&D/Pathfinder ghetto, briefly escaped to do a bunch of one-shot indie games, whose last major campaign was Savage Worlds Deadlands, and most recently ran Shadow of the Demon Lord, this leaves me in a very weird place.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

1. Griffindor

2. Hufflepuff

3. Ravenclaw

4. Slytherin

don't @ me

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

1. Griffindor

2. Hufflepuff

3. Ravenclaw

4. Slytherin

don't @ me

This is meaningless unless you took an official Facebook personality quiz 4x while inhabiting each type of TGer.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is meaningless unless you took an official Facebook personality quiz 4x while inhabiting each type of TGer.

Okay but if I don't report back in an hour, assume they found out I was cooking the books and avenge my death

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Freebase RPG

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the board game, wargame, chess, mahjong, and go threads do not actually exist and i refuse to hear otherwise
you are missing out, the board wargames thread is great, where else can you read ASL psychos talk about their game in a mixture of boring legalese and something that you would hear from a numbers station?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tekopo posted:

you are missing out, the board wargames thread is great, where else can you read ASL psychos talk about their game in a mixture of boring legalese and something that you would hear from a numbers station?
Chess forums? Though that's arguably a wargame

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For a real answer to this, you could browse through the What System Should I Use Megathread to get an idea of the range of games people like: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430847

What suits you would depend on the level of complexity (crunch) you like in your rules and what genres you enjoy. Apocalypse World and the many hacks and iterative games under the Powered by the Apocalypse system are perennial favorites here, and there's a thread if you want some suggestions on which ones people love.

I'd say the (non-D&D) tabletop RPG with some crunch to it that gets the most love here is Fragged Empire. It's a scifi game, but there's supplements out for a more standard fantasy setting, a pirate setting, and a Bloodborne-esque gothic fantasy setting too. There's a thread for it, too.

You could also jump into the FATAL and Friends thread for some in-depth read throughs of good and bad systems. People there could give you some suggestions of the best games that have been reviewed in the thread and you could browse the offsite archives to get a pretty good idea of how the games play.

I could keep dumping suggestions but I think I'd prefer to know what you're looking for in a game before I start.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

While we're vaguely on the subject, have any systems done good or fun "hostile environment" rules? Something beyond just "Make an endurance check, failure gives you a level of exhaustion. "

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Admiral Joeslop posted:

While we're vaguely on the subject, have any systems done good or fun "hostile environment" rules? Something beyond just "Make an endurance check, failure gives you a level of exhaustion. "

From what I read of Torchbearer they seemed to have a big focus on dungeons and how they wear the party down. They referred to it as "The Grind".

I kinda hate attrition in RPGs though, so I didn't look too hard at it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The only really good implementations I’ve seen are torchbearer and the one ring. Otherwise you’re better off skipping it or having tailored scenes:

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

95' was a helluva year. This poo poo reads like a time capsule

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Fire and Brimstone has rules that aren't simply "save or suck" and are genre/system agnostic.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Haystack posted:

Ars Magica

Ars Magica is loving legit, but GMing it is loving hard unless you take some liberties

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Going to hijack your post for something even more tangential: I asked the what system thread a while ago for something suitable for The Storm type games. Edited version below:

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a game designed around being stuck in a location of limited size dealing with an external threat. Night of the living dead, the mist, that style of thing, but also things like being stuck in a moon base. Something designed around the flow of hunker down, temporary excursions, argue, gently caress up, threat escalates, argue, plan an escape, temporary excursions, final escape, with the primary threat being The Outside in some manner.
[snip]
e: the more I'm thinking about it I'm looking for the feelings of claustrophobia where you don't like where you are but leaving is worse but also unavoidable.

Splicer posted:

I'm very much looking for support for "exploring a small location" and "going outside in a hostile environment", or at least a hell of a lot of GM advice. e.g. in a *world hack there'd be one or more moves that specifically cover going from the house/mall/base through zombies/monster mist/arctic weather to get to the gas pump/car/different part of the base with a bunch of thematic consequences seeds to choose from. Also some way for searching for and finding stuff in the house/mall/base a bit more interesting than wandering around a grid map making perception checks.
I got some good efforts but not what I was looking for.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dex_sda posted:

Ars Magica is loving legit, but GMing it is loving hard unless you take some liberties

That's really because Ars is supposed be be run round robin, and explicitly was in prior editions. The main GM handles the central plot, but people are supposed to take turns handling character and covenant side-stories. It works way better if you do that.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

That's really because Ars is supposed be be run round robin, and explicitly was in prior editions. The main GM handles the central plot, but people are supposed to take turns handling character and covenant side-stories. It works way better if you do that.

Which is fine but requires really strong buy-in from players, because of the crunch in the system. My players just wanted to be able to make free-form magic, and while I was able to deliver what is undoubtedly the best campaign I've ever DM'd, with the best villain I've ever created, the amount of prep that I had to do to handle the table was crazy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nuns with Guns posted:

1. Griffindor

2. Hufflepuff

3. Ravenclaw

4. Slytherin

don't @ me

don’t hat me

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Is there a cyberpunk thread? I had the chance to play red at gencon and it was really fun, especially in comparison to the shadowrun game directly following it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The PDF for the Planescape Campaign Setting, which used to have a PDF for every book in the boxed set, just got replaced with a single 600-MB PDF that includes every book in one file, and also has a large white border around the page.

I think maybe this is the same file they use to make the print version? I don't really know that that's an improvement, although I have asked in the past for them to make larger files for scanned book titles, because the compression level they've been using makes the text hard to read.