Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HPanda posted:

In conclusion, oil maize executives are a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bum the Sad posted:

For all you warhams nerds theres a chat thread thats kind of hidden now since it got moved like 2 years ago out of GBS to a hard to find subforum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694065

Warhammer chat is like a chaos invasion, it can (and will) happen anywhere and it's usually started because some dumbass asked the wrong questions.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Asking questions is heresy, citizen.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

But why? :v:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Getting burned alive by the thing that brought you decades of success is some "sold my soul to the devil and he came to collect" M. Night shaymalan poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ignite Memories posted:

Great movie but the part with the chalkboard animation of the extinction event was SUPER traumatic to me as a child. I still can hear their pained screams

OK watching this now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngVMwf9yRGU

LOL at the ersatz Every Breath You Take background music

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

re: Good Dinosaur talk

It's not a great movie - I've only seen it once, but like, do you remember that feeling when you saw CGI back in like, 2000, and you were like "holy poo poo that looks cool"?
This was the first time since then that I've been impressed by computer graphics.

basically any shot without the goofy looking characters in it is stunning

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Please send me one of each. How much?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Good Dinosaur was a "good" movie, just not an exceptional one like people have come to expect from Pixar. It was cute and sweet and the Sam Elliott T-Rex was a nice touch.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

dialhforhero posted:

I see the title Dinosaur and I think of the claymation/live action short with Fred Savage every time.

Which owned btw.

The dudes who did the cool dinosaur song in that movie did a remake of the song not too long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxCudkjlWM

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuggan posted:

The dudes who did the cool dinosaur song in that movie did a remake of the song not too long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxCudkjlWM

drat those dinosaurs can play, especially considering that their guitars appear to be cardboard cutouts

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fun fact: Cera's dad in The Land Before Time is named Daddy Topps. :biglips:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Maps without :nz:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Disney's Dinosaur resulted in a ride with dinosaurs and that's about all I can say for it.

RIP Universal Studios Hollywood Jurassic Park.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Explicitly noncanon: they all died and the great valley is the dinosaur afterlife.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Fun fact: Cera's dad in The Land Before Time is named Daddy Topps. :biglips:

Progressive for an 80's kids cartoon

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bike tory posted:

Maps without :nz:

It's one of the crumbs.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
How dare you monsters talk about dino movies and don't mention this gem:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

sarcastx posted:

re: Good Dinosaur talk

It's not a great movie - I've only seen it once, but like, do you remember that feeling when you saw CGI back in like, 2000, and you were like "holy poo poo that looks cool"?
This was the first time since then that I've been impressed by computer graphics.

basically any shot without the goofy looking characters in it is stunning

The backgrounds were live-action, not CGI.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What? They did way more research and work on the scenery than the other movies but as far as I'm aware it's still all CG.

And it's not like it's a bad movie in my mind, but I think it was one of the first that really just felt specifically like a kid's movie to me. Fine in that respect, and probably not the worst if you have kids who latch onto it, but not a lot that interested me aside from said scenery work.

you can cunt off
May 5, 2019

by VideoGames

The Bloop posted:

The Good Dinosaur was a "good" movie, just not an exceptional one like people have come to expect from Pixar. It was cute and sweet and the Sam Elliott T-Rex was a nice touch.

pixar have made two good movies in a decade

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Captain Hygiene posted:

What? They did way more research and work on the scenery than the other movies but as far as I'm aware it's still all CG.

Check out the Wikipedia.

Anyway,

for the derail.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Scathach posted:

No.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Scathach posted:

Check out the Wikipedia.

Haven't seen the movie, but I'm with the others on this one.
From the wiki:
"According to the filmmakers, the environments and landscapes in the film are not photo-realistic, they are just detailed in a way that advanced technology and style decisions allow."

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

It's pretty obvious watching the movie that most of the background is real. Graphics aren't even that great today. Y'all are loving with me right? Because

quote:

Headed by David Womersley, live-action photography units shot on actual jungle, beach, and desert locations including California, Florida, Hawaii, Australia, Jordan, Venezuela, and Western Samoa.[4] In total, two live-action film crews shot over 800,000 feet of film, although one scene, which takes place inside a cave, utilized a computer-generated background. In order to approximate the dinosaur's perspective, visual effects supervisor Neil Krepela invented the "Dino-cam", in which a camera was rigged on a cable suspended between two 72-foot-tall towers. The computer-controlled camera allowed for panning and tilting on 360 degrees and move up to 30 miles per hour across a span of 1,000 feet.

Penance for words:

Scathach has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Aug 6, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Scathach posted:

It's pretty obvious watching the movie that most of the background is real. Graphics aren't even that great today. Y'all are loving with me right? Because

We're talking about The Good Dinosaur, not Disney's Dinosaur.

You buffoon.

You absolute twonk.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Getting burned alive by the thing that brought you decades of success is some "sold my soul to the devil and he came to collect" M. Night shaymalan poo poo.

I always assumed this was a deliberate (successful) suicide attempt given his legal and financial troubles at the time. Dude was a one man Enron. Is it praxis if an oil exec offs himself?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Scathach posted:

wrong movie

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

We're talking about The Good Dinosaur, not Disney's Dinosaur.

You buffoon.

You absolute twonk.

Oh hell I'm the idiot on social media. Apologies.

Guess my brain is fried by the summer, gonna go cool off somewhere.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zipperelli. posted:

TBF, we were discussing whether or not certain dino movies were bad

I'd also like to preemptively report anyone who responds with "it's bad" for hate speech

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

MizPiz posted:

TBF, we were discussing whether or not certain dino movies were bad

I'd also like to preemptively report anyone who responds with "it's bad" for hate speech

I actually almost posted about We’re Back earlier itt to say it holds up surprisingly well, but I got distracted. :v:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Brain

Grain

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The 90s ruined dinosaurs harder than the asteroid

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

This thing has serious "time machine I tried to build when I was 8" energy.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I've heard of hotboxing but this is ridiculous.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Scathach posted:

Oh hell I'm the idiot on social media. Apologies.

Guess my brain is fried by the summer, gonna go cool off somewhere.

what an idiot, everyone knows you can add an intake under your windshield and hook a hose up inside and get all the cool breeze you want as you drive around

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Zipperelli. posted:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

before the edit I thought you might have been talking about We're Back: A Dinosaur Story

also the 90s did one dinosaur thing right, and that's Dinosaurs, the sitcom that ruled and was about dinosaurs

edit: change my name to professor screweyes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also the 90s did one dinosaur thing right, and that's Dinosaurs, the sitcom that ruled and was about dinosaurs

edit: change my name to professor screweyes

I tried to rewatch this recently and it extremely didn't hold up

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Man, that Terra Nova was a really messed up Spielberg show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

jit bull transpile posted:

I tried to rewatch this recently and it extremely didn't hold up

the series finale holds up super well