Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
As long as there's abortion and scary brown people, these people will vote straight ticket R all day every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

there's a subset of Trump voters who respond to Trump who'd vote for a, say, Bernie Sanders but literally no other Dem (except maybe Warren if the town halls she's had in small white rural areas are to be believed) because it's a message that crosses traditional partisan lines and, and this is the biggest bit, they recognize that the elite and Dems also hate him. Obama -> Trump can still become Trump -> Dem, it's just that the Dems loving blow to the point that even progressives are talking about not voting for them

like the Harlan strikers could probably be brought around, after all it isn't chud orgs or Republicans bringing them supplies or standing with them

the problem is in a lot of cases it takes events like this to really find out who is who among them beyond stuff like, oh this person (retiree, landlord) hasn't engaged with the real economy in decades

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
uh i think you'll find the way to get moderate republicans is actually to provide means tested tax grants and also let the republicans do a genocides after only some weak opposition :decorum:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I still don’t get why republicans pretend to care about abortions so much anyways

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Eat This Glob posted:

i just texted my buddy who left rural iowa and the newspaper business at the same time I did last fall. he owned the business and got out juuuuuuuuuuust in time. in fact, the person who bought it from him still owes him 60 grand. the money in ag land has been dried up for a year. im curious just how bad it'll get or of he'll get his money.

namely because i own a house there still lol

that said, hopefully not for long as I'm selling it to my brother who moved to iowa to get back on his feet for less than the cost of a new economy car. at least his job isnt at all tied into the ag economy so he'll be ok. same with my mom and step dad who still live in rural iowa

Unless it's like a federal job... I mean when whatever the local economy is driven by goes away, the jobs supplying those consumers eventually have problems if the farmers lose their land and quit farming.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If the left just came out and said that they categorically oppose women having any reproductive rights, the majority of the pieces of poo poo I know would immediately become "leftists".

Theyre not worth our time and their early demise is a good thing for everyone. The faster the elder monster cease this world the better.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nottherealaborn posted:

I still don’t get why republicans pretend to care about abortions so much anyways
It's an easy way to sound virtuous (to idiots with no sense of nuance or empathy) while simultaneously getting to actively hurt women and poor people. It's a conservative win-win.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

pseudanonymous posted:

Unless it's like a federal job... I mean when whatever the local economy is driven by goes away, the jobs supplying those consumers eventually have problems if the farmers lose their land and quit farming.

neither are in anyway related to farming nor are local people their customers. it is bizarre these two jobs are located where they are. so long as the roads are maintained, they've got electricity, and shipments to and from the places, everyone else in the area could disappear and it'd make no difference except lunch options wouldn't exist

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nottherealaborn posted:

because in most cases they've either convinced themselves its actually evil baby murder or their voters believe it is so they have to play along

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it takes away their ability to think about both sides critically and objectively. they dislike their perception of democrats culturally so most of them come up with a backwards reasoning why they don’t like them

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's just a stupid issue that stuck, and now it's a wedge. It could have been anything like trying to repeal the ban on lawn darts.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
trump farmers committing suicide?

inject that poo poo straight in to my veins, ese

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Zwabu posted:

I can't get through the paywall. Does it include the money shot where they say they'll probably (or definitely) vote for Trump again?

I must know! :allears:

Shockingly, it never comes up one way or another.

But in your heart, you know the truth.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FMguru posted:

I will never, ever get over a group of people who are entirely dependent on export markets for their livelihood voting (overwhelmingly!) for a man who straightforwardly promised to launch a massive trade war against their primary export market.

I can't even blame Trmup - he's just doing (for once) exactly what he promised to do when he was campaigning. He didn't backstab them or betray them, he's just doing literally what he said he was going to do, with entirely predictable consequences.

LOL forever.

Oh come on, this is a ridiculous framing.

You're leaving out the most important part: where he promised that he had a secret plan to negotiate a vaguely better deal! What is 'better' exactly, simple my good man, it's anything and everything you imagine it to be! And you know he'll deliver because he fired people on TV just like a smart businessman

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nottherealaborn posted:

It's an easy way to make yourself feel good and righteous without actually having to be good or righteous or do anything really. You just have to loudly despise the "sluts" who use abortions as birth control (yeah you got your mistress one that's different you have a family to think of you can't let some homewrecker break up your marriage by demanding child support, oh yeah and your daughter had one but she's a good girl who just made a mistake not like those other girls but it's fine those drat babykilling liberals will always make sure they're legal in New York if you need one)

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Aug 6, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

loving with trade enough that the farmers need a bailout then directly funneling the vast majority of that bailout to the ultra wealthy is astonishing

it’s horrifically evil but it is just absolute poetry as a scam.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zwabu posted:

I can't get through the paywall. Does it include the money shot where they say they'll probably (or definitely) vote for Trump again?

I must know! :allears:

Seems to be solely a human interest piece with no mention of politics.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

loving with trade enough that the farmers need a bailout then directly funneling the vast majority of that bailout to the ultra wealthy is astonishing

it’s horrifically evil but it is just absolute poetry as a scam.
100% predictable, too. When they announced the farm bailout, pretty much everybody who was paying attention said "just watch, every nickel will go to the zillionaire agribusinesses while the small family farms will get nothing and have to sell out to those selfsame businesses for pennies on the dollar" - which is exactly what happened.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

the milk machine posted:

so it's safe to assume that any twitter account that ends with a shitload of numbers is a bot, right?

the bot accounts are usually First Name + Initial + 8 numbers

BrendaT38295021

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Eat This Glob posted:

they're gonna need some bigger prayers :stare:

it'shappening.gif

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1158509730601590785?s=20

Definitely Not A Trade War

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ugato posted:

Definitely Not A Trade War
Right, those are easy to win.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FMguru posted:

I will never, ever get over a group of people who are entirely dependent on export markets for their livelihood voting (overwhelmingly!) for a man who straightforwardly promised to launch a massive trade war against their primary export market.

I can't even blame Trmup - he's just doing (for once) exactly what he promised to do when he was campaigning. He didn't backstab them or betray them, he's just doing literally what he said he was going to do, with entirely predictable consequences.

LOL forever.

Farmers are the guys who own the land not the guys harvesting the corn; they voted Trump cause he promised to put the screws to their labor pool, and they'll keep voting Trump cause he did it. If their farm goes under in the meantime hey at least they got to sic ICE on their farmhands on payday and isn't that what really matters

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 06:52 on Aug 6, 2019

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I hope everyone in America that voted trump dies of a loving heart attack

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
That would just leave another mess for someone else to clean up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FMguru posted:

Just like how all rich people are pedophiles, all farmers are apparently as dumb as their produce. Even ignoring tariffs and poo poo, their British counterparts voted overwhelmingly to leave an organization that has "subsidize farmers" as one of its main planks.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

article posted:

Krocak needed the money to stave off bankruptcy and hold on to the land that has been in his family since 1888.......$47,000 they owe the local bank, the $550,000 they owe businesses in town and the $662,000 mortgage on their property — which all adds up to about $1.3 million in debt.
This bum inherits a farm and gets into a load of debt. I'm not blaming the trade war, maybe this loser just sucks at running a farm/business. :smugdon:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

look his wife loves entertaining so they needed to spend three quarters of a million replacing the farmhouse

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Budzilla posted:

This bum inherits a farm and gets into a load of debt. I'm not blaming the trade war, maybe this loser just sucks at running a farm/business. :smugdon:

maybe 30-50 hogs came and ravaged their land, you ever think of that you city slickin lib?!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
That WaPo piece has absolutely nothing about Trump or political affiliation, why was it posted here?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Does anyone else want to talk about the 1888 start being prime homestead act years, and they got their "family farm"for free as part of an organized genocide of natives

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

mono posted:

maybe 30-50 hogs came and ravaged their land, you ever think of that you city slickin lib?!

So much death. What can men do against such reckless hogs?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Farmers are the guys who own the land not the guys harvesting the corn; they voted Trump cause he promised to put the screws to their labor pool, and they'll keep voting Trump cause he did it. If their farm goes under in the meantime hey at least they got to sic ICE on their farmhands on payday and isn't that what really matters

worse than their labor pool, it is their tenants. most landowners (at least in the midwest for corn and soybean row crops) operate with tenants on a "cash rent" basis in that rents fluctuate year to year based on what grain prices look like. In 2012 when land was selling for $15k an acre+, you could see rents around $350/acre.

with lower grain prices (at least into 2018) rents were down to $225/acre where I was living, so it hurts the landowners too, though I'm sure poo poo is structured so they can write poo poo off that the land renters (people actually farming the land) cannot

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't know much about agricultural value chains but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the Trump-voting farmers were shortsighted enough to think "Trump says he'll start a trade war with China but that's fine because I don't sell to China, I sell to Middleman Agricultural Transport Inc. [who then sells to China]"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just like how all rich people are pedophiles, all farmers are apparently as dumb as their produce. Even ignoring tariffs and poo poo, their British counterparts voted overwhelmingly to leave an organization that has "subsidize farmers" as one of its main planks.

The bus said we'll save so much money when we leave, so obviously the farm subsidies will be higher than ever and I won't have to see people in the grocery store who are the wrong kind of white

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
its the same thought process: "id have more money if the foreigners werent nonspecifically taking it"

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

ElGroucho posted:

trump farmers committing suicide: "Inject that poo poo straight in to my veins!"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Al! posted:

its the same thought process: "id have more money if the foreigners werent nonspecifically taking it"
True, though it somehow seems even more extreme to come to that conclusion when you have an actual line in your budget that says "Free money from the EU". At least American farm subsidies come from the US government.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

True, though it somehow seems even more extreme to come to that conclusion when you have an actual line in your budget that says "Free money from the EU". At least American farm subsidies come from the US government.

shocking coming from people so dumb that all they can handle is pouring water on plants

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/sublime_skeptic/status/1158750326599626754?s=20
https://twitter.com/Derlosviper/status/1158748436029685760?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Well, Trumps pretty much unintentionally socialized the farming industry which is more than Democrats could ever do even if they had a supermajority. What other industries will the trade war claim?

Also, why aren't we pushing for rationing of that food to every American, starting with the poorest getting the most percentage? We're paying for it, may as well distribute it properly. We can also stop calling them "farmers", we can call them government workers now.