Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

piL posted:

Orchard Towers, however, is a reputable collection of local businesses.

The escalator ride is worth bringing an adventurous friend unjaded by SE Asia on, but just have a drink and gtfo unless you're on babysitting duty.

In fact (with the exception of 28 Hong Kong Street and a hotel jazz bar I stumbled into) downtown and orchard mostly sucks unless you're China rich trying to show off cool mall purchases.

Instead (and you didn't ask), my recommended Singapore activity revolves around cocktail prices. Since drinks are super expensive anyway ($15 poo poo beer/$20 for a glorified vodka chu-hi) instead spring for one of the best, if not the best craft cocktail scenes in the world. Going rate for one of the best old fashioneds, a smoke infused sake, or something creative you'll never again make is $5 more than the koolaid and vodka described above.

Two year old recommendations to get you started:

Bar Stories, which supposedly brought craft cocktail to Singapore, is in a cool district, illuminated by a tokyo-golden-gai style sign and maybe a marquee if you're lucky. There is no menu; describe what you want to the bartender and they'll make you something great.

28 Hong Kong Street is fake hidden behind what looks like a closed store front, but it's not really locked. Classy wood and stone interior, and the best Negroni I ever had.

Neon Pigeon was amazing, and the bar was always open since Singaporeans hadn't yet attached status to bar seats, and still thought the cool status symbol is sitting at a table. Hopefully for the prospective reader this is still true so you can get a cabbage cocktail or a smoke infused sake Negroni.

Dress like what an rear end in a top hat who says "dress like an adult" means, and check out ATLAS for a super cool building, an amazing and expensive restaurant that serves drinks for "normal" Singapore prices, look at the art deco interior, and examine from a safe-wallet-closed distance the absurd gin collection.

Last recommendation, since I'm out of date, is Crackerjack. The staff seemed to be rotating through supercool hip young mixologists who ca tell you where you should have went instead of my stupid list. Food is great. This is where you need to ask the bartenders for recommendations. Ask whether Junior is crowded and if you can go. Expensive but a unique experience, they focus on one liquor at a time and you're paying for a combination of the rarity and the tutelage. Seriously, go, learn some poo poo and ask a lot of questions and stories. Blow $120.

Other notable recommendations that are just as good as the list above: Catchfly, The Tippling club*, Gibson bar, Operation Dagger*, Employees Only*, Maison Ikkoku, Jigger and Pony, Spiffy Dapper. A * means some sort of novelty worth investigating, or that you might need some extra effort to get in.

Man, I miss Singapore :(.

Edit: Oh, and grats Dusty!

Thanks for the Singapore tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DustyNuts posted:

Finally got selected for :chiefsay:

I'll report back in 6 weeks.

Congrats on the selection. As an outsider who saw three seasons of Chief selectee initiations, it's weird and get used to doing everything wrong and being told how important Chiefs are. If your initiation is anything like the ones I saw, you are supposed to ask for help when work starts getting piled on. Otherwise it'll keep coming until you get overwhelmed. The lesson being you need to rely on the mess to help you get through challenging times.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You sailors and your Chief thing are weird as hell.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Congrats to those who made it but yeah I think the CPO mess is a lot of what's wrong with the enlisted navy.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Drinks are much cheaper in little India and Chinatown. My wife and I were there a couple years ago and that's where we ended up hanging out most of the time. Also the city-state propaganda is wild if you get a chance to tune into the local news a bit.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The Maxwell St food court in Singapore's Chinatown is what I think of when I need a "happy place"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

The Maxwell St food court in Singapore's Chinatown is what I think of when I need a "happy place"

Three blocks over from Club Street, a select few of the food stalls are open to 2AM

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lou Takki posted:

Congrats to those who made it but yeah I think the CPO mess is a lot of what's wrong with the enlisted navy.

The Chief's Mess: The cause of, and solution to, most of the Navy's Problems.

Could also be "the wardroom" or "the admirals" or "the enlisted."

Conclusion: the Navy, since the beginning of time, is a world of contrasts, and many agree there are no solutions.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Conclusion: the Navy, since the beginning of time, is a world of contrasts, and many agree there are no solutions.

Deep sixing the entire fleet like the class D fire it is

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Hi I'm at work on a Saturday making a wooden box. Thanks for the grats everyone. I'll be one of the good ones.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Pretty much yeah

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DustyNuts posted:

Hi I'm at work on a Saturday making a wooden box. Thanks for the grats everyone. I'll be one of the good ones.

Need a router? Add that flair!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
This is almost certainly too late, but to echo the "just go all out on booze because it already costs a lot" post, Singapore has a whisky library.

While you're spending 100+ USD at minimum, the flights are selections of whiskies that you're realistically never going to find elsewhere.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is there a sub-specific Navy thread, or would it just fall under this one? Was hoping to read stories from Navy goons about life on subs.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
nice try commie

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MrMojok posted:

Is there a sub-specific Navy thread, or would it just fall under this one? Was hoping to read stories from Navy goons about life on subs.

No matter where you fall on the BDSM spectrums, this, the Marine and the idiots threads are the only threads for Navy chat.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Can confirm that sub bases have tons of subs as well as sub shops and sub swag shops, you can eat a sub, or you can eat a sub

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck-dkBf-T9I

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Actual shipboard footage after 85 days underway

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

M_Gargantua posted:

Can confirm that sub bases have tons of subs as well as sub shops and sub swag shops, you can eat a sub, or you can eat a sub

How to know you are on a sub base.

The mc Donald’s sign is blue and has dolphins.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Subs smell really bad and it permeates everything.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

piL posted:

No matter where you fall on the BDSM spectrums, this, the Marine and the idiots threads are the only threads for Navy chat.

Oh and the Coast Guard, when directed by the president any time or Congress during times of war (see 14 U.S. Code § 3).

Is there a Coastie thread?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We had a submarine thread a long time ago I’ll see if I can dig it up for you.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MrMojok posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537597&perpage=40

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bird cooch posted:

Subs smell really bad and it permeates everything.

Is the same as the aircraft carrier smell or different?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I realize the chances of someone knowing this are small, does anyone else use R2S to access their NMCI email and been able to successfully attach a file to it? For some reason when I send an email it shows as attached on my end, shows it in my sent items attached, shows the attached paper clip on their message but nothing is actually attached. Tried it both encrypted and not and it is just to other navy dot mil addresses.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
LOL POTUS being such a NSW starfucker he actually pulled NAMs from the prosecutors in the Gallagher case. I mean... kinda stupid to give nams for a shitshow of that magnitude.

But jag awards are meaningless anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is the same as the aircraft carrier smell or different?

It smells like cat pee from the chemical used to pull CO2 from the air. All of your cloths will absorb it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

M_Gargantua posted:

It smells like cat pee from the chemical used to pull CO2 from the air. All of your cloths will absorb it.

Now I'm curious if the later diesel-electric subsmight've actually smelled better because they had to be surfaced and open to the air for extended periods. I mean probably not because the sanitary facilities were next to nonexistent by modern standards but I doubt they smelled like cat piss.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah, probably just smelled like sailor piss

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Smelled like a bunch of hot, brave men who emerged from the sea

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thank you!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Smelled like a bunch of hot, brave men who emerged from the sea

So balls and shame.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now I'm curious if the later diesel-electric subsmight've actually smelled better because they had to be surfaced and open to the air for extended periods. I mean probably not because the sanitary facilities were next to nonexistent by modern standards but I doubt they smelled like cat piss.

Contemporary accounts I’ve read described a smell of sweat, diesel, and food.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Diesel is profoundly smelly poo poo really

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah I imagine all the slowly rotting food stuffed in every free space available must get a smell to it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
JSM NTSB findings are out. Chances of the Navy implementing them, especially the rec to follow STCW hours?

https://gcaptain.com/ntsb-points-navy-failures-in-john-s-mccain-accident-report/

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

JSM NTSB findings are out. Chances of the Navy implementing them, especially the rec to follow STCW hours?

https://gcaptain.com/ntsb-points-navy-failures-in-john-s-mccain-accident-report/

Wasn't there no one actively on the bridge of the Alric and it was autopilot? That would make VHF and warning the other vessel kinda moot.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Thronde posted:

Wasn't there no one actively on the bridge of the Alric and it was autopilot? That would make VHF and warning the other vessel kinda moot.

The Alnic has the master, who had the conn, the OOW and two lookouts. The vessel was on auto pilot but that’s standard for cargo vessels since it frees up another person for lookout.

One of the lookout felt ill and went below deck sometime prior the accident and had not returned to the bridge until after the collision.

They saw the McCain turn and assumed he was trying to cut ahead of them, because... warship. They’re sporty. If their AIS had been transmitting they might have tried to call them, but as it was they’d later end up calling for “Navy ship” on sixteen, which... lol.

When he saw that the McCain wouldn’t make it, the captain reduced speed to half ahead, but the ship being a two stroke fixed pitch direct drive... yeah. If they’d crash stopped, it probably wouldn’t have made much of a difference at that point, the shaft reached half ahead 14 seconds before the accident.

It’s all in the report.

This one is 100% on the navy, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Plus a destroyer can by ship standards stop on a dime.

loving nuts that a cargo ship with a Skelton crew had better situation than a billion dollar sensor suite and over staffed bridge crew and TOC