Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the good product for clearing up the air conditioning stink?

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-96110515-Klima-Cleaner-Conditioner-Cleaner/dp/B0002Z2MKO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

What are the best entry level DA polishers? Note I’m based in NZ and we don’t seem to have the entry level range that everyone else has.

Sorry to quote myself but I’m super keen to get on this. I can get Torq brand through Chemical Guys, Das brand (maybe on this one, been out of stock for ages with the one supplier) and Makita (a little more expensive than those other entry level ones).

Of course if I double my budget I could get Rupes, etc. but I can’t justify that cost.

Edit: oh might also be able to get the entry level Meguiars one too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ozium 805539 1-Piece Air Freshener & Sanitizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143M9KP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j63qDb1ZFBJJC

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Red_Fred posted:

Sorry to quote myself but I’m super keen to get on this. I can get Torq brand through Chemical Guys, Das brand (maybe on this one, been out of stock for ages with the one supplier) and Makita (a little more expensive than those other entry level ones).

Of course if I double my budget I could get Rupes, etc. but I can’t justify that cost.

Edit: oh might also be able to get the entry level Meguiars one too.

I've got an older Torq and I'm happy with it. It replaced a still-working Porter Cable that really needs a new cord. I like the Torq for the soft start. Other than that, it does pretty much the same job.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the good product for clearing up the air conditioning stink?

Replacing the cabin air filter usually does it if it's just the stale / lovely AC smell that I'm imagining. If it's some actual smell like cigarettes that's soaked in and coated everything, your best bet is probably an ozone generator as the others mentioned.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

I've got an older Torq and I'm happy with it. It replaced a still-working Porter Cable that really needs a new cord. I like the Torq for the soft start. Other than that, it does pretty much the same job.

What model do you have? I’ve seen your work and it’s impressive :allears:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ozone?
Ozone!
https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Peak-Commercial-Ozone-Generator/dp/B07R2FM6YB/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quote:

Ozone machines cannot be shipped to California.

I loving hate my state so god drat much. I loving hate it. The yearly wildfires aren't enough punishment for what this state deserves.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I wonder if an ozone machine would get the horrid BO funk smell out of my motorcycle leathers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I wonder if an ozone machine would get the horrid BO funk smell out of my motorcycle leathers.

Yes

Leal posted:

I loving hate my state so god drat much. I loving hate it. The yearly wildfires aren't enough punishment for what this state deserves.

I am dragging mine with me when I move next week. :smug:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Leal posted:

Amazon might care, but ebay/china don't :getin:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've considered getting an ozone machine just for my son's rank-rear end hockey bag. Find a refrigerator box, throw that poo poo in there, let it run...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

What model do you have? I’ve seen your work and it’s impressive :allears:

Picked up the Makita PO5000C this morning. Now just gotta get some pads.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

I'll have to research how you would actually do it, but I'm intrigued.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone here using any of the fancy spray on si02 sealants instead of a wax or ceramic coating? I'm doing some research and they seem like they might be a pretty decent option in the ease of use while also lasting a decent amount of time area.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

fknlo posted:

Anyone here using any of the fancy spray on si02 sealants instead of a wax or ceramic coating? I'm doing some research and they seem like they might be a pretty decent option in the ease of use while also lasting a decent amount of time area.

I used the HydrO2 when it came out a couple of years ago. It works, but I had much trouble with cloudiness on darker cars no matter how careful I was. The new Meg's Hybrid Ceramic Wax is getting good reviews and seems to last a good amount of time for the price. I've seen most people recommend that you don't spray it on and rinse off, but apply it like you would a spray wax.

Edit: I think I'm going to use up my Hydro02 on wheels.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 6, 2019

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I have a 2010 Corolla with parts of the paint that feel almost chalky. Car went through a lot of brutal winters upstate, and previous owner seldom (if ever) washed it.

I also have an orbital polisher in my garage, left by the dude who owned my house before I did.

Is there anything I can do to get a decent gloss/shine in my car's paint job, or am I just hosed and that's it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

I have a 2010 Corolla with parts of the paint that feel almost chalky. Car went through a lot of brutal winters upstate, and previous owner seldom (if ever) washed it.

I also have an orbital polisher in my garage, left by the dude who owned my house before I did.

Is there anything I can do to get a decent gloss/shine in my car's paint job, or am I just hosed and that's it?

Is it chalky and pale like my trunk?

If it's like that, your clear is probably gone and if so, she's dead jim.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Unfortunately, the car is white, so it's kinda hard to tell... But, in general, it has an almost "matte" appearance on the hood and trunk, and is sorta rough/chalky to the touch.

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 8, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

Unfortunately, the is white, so it's kinda hard to tell... But, in general, it has an almost "matte" appearance on the hood and trunk, and is sorta rough/chalky to the touch.

Yep, your clear is gone.

There aint no bringing back that shine without a respray.

Here's a different view. notice the vert non/sun beaten panels are still glossy but the flat ones are gone.
Like yours the texture is smooth, but no longer slick. much like a piece of chalk.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Yep, your clear is gone.
Welp, yeah that's about right. The doors and side panels and poo poo still have a bit of gloss, but the hood, trunk, and roof are cooked. Good news is, I don't have to spend money on car polish and waxes, bad new is that my car will continue to look like poo poo on the outside. :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

Welp, yeah that's about right. The doors and side panels and poo poo still have a bit of gloss, but the hood, trunk, and roof are cooked. Good news is, I don't have to spend money on car polish and waxes, bad new is that my car will continue to look like poo poo on the outside. :(

You could say gently caress it and spray them with plastidip in a completely new color.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

toplitzin posted:

You could say gently caress it and spray them with plastidip in a completely new color.
Just visited the site. I had no idea people even did this; it's kinda cool.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

edit: oops double post

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any tips on getting scratches out of the plastic covers on gauges (speedometer, tachometer, etc.)? There’s a guy on YouTube who fixes up old stereos and I believe he uses wax to refurb the same kind of plastics, but I figured I’d ask before trying anything dumb.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
You can use a polish to remove the scratches in the plastic, but be very careful and try it in a small spot first.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For really light scratching I've used meguires plasticX, which is a very mild abrasive liquid with a microfiber applicator. You apply a little, hand polish the area with the applicator, and then gently wipe off.

It won't do miracles but it definitely improved things when I used it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

For heavier plastic work, there's Meguiar's M17 plastic cleaner and M10 plastic polish. I've used M17 for decades and can take out sanding marks. To be honest, it does a good enough job that I often don't finish with M10.

In other news, I'm trying Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax based on references here and on some of the detailing forums. Super intrigued by diluting it 7:1 (!!!) as recommended by one of the forums. I've got it on a couple panels of the Escalade, but need a bit of time before I give an opinion.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What's the cutting agent?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

toplitzin posted:

What's the cutting agent?

"specialized non-abrasive"... which doesn't make sense. It's not gritty, and M17 needs to get some heat worked into it to be really effective, so maybe it's some kind of friction activated chemical? Just speculating out of my rear end... but I know it works.

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/products/m17-mirror-glaze-clear-plastic-cleaner-8-oz

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

betterinsodapop posted:

Unfortunately, the car is white, so it's kinda hard to tell... But, in general, it has an almost "matte" appearance on the hood and trunk, and is sorta rough/chalky to the touch.

I believe that if your white is Toyota Super White (paint code 040) that is single stage paint (not color coat/clear coat) if it's original factory paint.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

meatpimp posted:

"specialized non-abrasive"... which doesn't make sense. It's not gritty, and M17 needs to get some heat worked into it to be really effective, so maybe it's some kind of friction activated chemical? Just speculating out of my rear end... but I know it works.

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/products/m17-mirror-glaze-clear-plastic-cleaner-8-oz

Sorry, I meant what are you cutting the Ceramic Wax to 7:1 with. Water? Rubbing alcohol?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

toplitzin posted:

Sorry, I meant what are you cutting the Ceramic Wax to 7:1 with. Water? Rubbing alcohol?

Just water. I haven't tried it yet, but seemed to be a thing. Suggested in the first post here, then others seem to pick it up with good results: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/121843-meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-10.html

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Scott808 posted:

I believe that if your white is Toyota Super White (paint code 040) that is single stage paint (not color coat/clear coat) if it's original factory paint.
Yes, it is original factory paint, and that looks like the only white paint for that year, so I believe you are correct. So, does this mean I could potentially save it somehow?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

betterinsodapop posted:

Yes, it is original factory paint, and that looks like the only white paint for that year, so I believe you are correct. So, does this mean I could potentially save it somehow?

Potentially, see the former case of meatpimp v. 1992 MR2 Turbo in the 3rd bay circuit court of garages.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

betterinsodapop posted:

As long as you don't burn through the color coat (similar to going through the clear on a two stage) I think so.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/65311-pad-usage-ss-toyota-paint.html
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/100782-single-stage-paint-toyota-tundra-chalky-much.html
https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/186701-toyota-super-white-single-stage.html

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Larry does some single stage work too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Wi7R37fa4

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Didn't know modern cars still used single stage.

Optimum has this product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cP7hQB3Bz8

No idea how well it performs IRL though.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Alright, you guys are giving me hope. I figure I might as well try. Still gonna be cheaper than getting a spray!
The old piece of poo poo orbital waxer I found in my garage is a Chamberlain "Waxmaster 900." Quick research tells me that it is basically a piece of poo poo and more or less good for nothing, so it looks like I'll probably end up having to buy a modern polisher.
Once I can get all of my poo poo together, I'll update.
Thanks, guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got a new to me car (2013 Scion xB) and I noticed the door panels were getting streak marks from the rain. I figured the dealership I bought it from used some kind of lovely armor-all type stuff on the plastic so I scrubbed all of the panels with simple green and it appeared to solve the problem. Then this morning it was raining and it did it even worse, wtf do I need to use to clean off whatever lovely product is on the door panels causing this?