Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yesterday, I was telling my wife how in "It Could Happen Here", one of the possible ignition points was having ANTIFA declared a terrorist group. That was his main one given for an expansion in Left wing violence. For the Right, it was the obvious, gun control. Seeing both happen it quick succession unnerved me a bit.

Also, if you haven't listened to it, check it out.

Related- do we have a list of recommended podcasts? Wasn't that a thread at some point, or am I making poo poo up in my memories?

It Could Happen Here is by Robert Evan's, who also hosts the Behind the Bastards podcast. He also writes for Bellingcat. I'd recommend anything he participates in as required reading for leftists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’ve been on a big podcast kick lately so I’d be happy to write an OP for a thread on one.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:justpost: i am a podcast fiend

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

EBB posted:

:justpost: i am a podcast fiend

I'm a fiend for mojitos.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

It Could Happen Here is by Robert Evan's, who also hosts the Behind the Bastards podcast. He also writes for Bellingcat. I'd recommend anything he participates in as required reading for leftists.

I didn't know he was from BtB. I knew he was on bellingcat, and I accidentally read him for years: I started reading his poo poo on Cracked. I didn't put two and two together until nearly the end of ICHH...even though he says it in episode 1.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I didn't know he was from BtB. I knew he was on bellingcat, and I accidentally read him for years: I started reading his poo poo on Cracked. I didn't put two and two together until nearly the end of ICHH...even though he says it in episode 1.

Yeah, BTB is loving great and got me into his stuff.

However... he also dropped the "I'm polyamorous" bomb on his last episode and now I'm questioning everything. :yikes:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Every single time I've met a dude who said he was poly, I've found that he should be grateful one person wants to gently caress him, and shouldn't press his luck.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

While I do enjoy his writing and podcast he is a self-proclaimed anarchist libertarian which has got to be the most childish self-imposed label I've ever heard.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bird cooch posted:

While I do enjoy his writing and podcast he is a self-proclaimed anarchist libertarian which has got to be the most childish self-imposed label I've ever heard.

"Anarchist libertarian" is pure strain "gently caress you mom it's not bedtime yet" politics

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bulletsponge13 posted:

Don't pretend like he is the only example post-Columbine. No duty to protect, along with 'I ain't dying in no ghetto' breeds cowardice.

Don't forget the contempt for 'civilians'. Training cops like infantrymen breeds cops treating those they interact with like hostile populations in an occupied country: The story of policing since 9/11.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There should absolutely be mandatory de-indoctrination training for any veteran that wants to get into law enforcement to recalibrate their mindset, and that training should double for anybody who wants to move from combat arms into law enforcement.

MPs should be automatically disqualified as psychologically unfit for being a LEO.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

MPs should be automatically disqualified as psychologically unfit for being a LEO.

Max Uriarte put it best: "I want to be a Marine, but I kind of hate Marines." MPs are guys who sign up to be buddy fuckers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EBB posted:

Max Uriarte put it best: "I want to be a Marine, but I kind of hate Marines." MPs are guys who sign up to be buddy fuckers.

Sounds like the kind of cop most of this forum would want. The "no blue falcon" mentality is why so many cops cover for other cop's poor behavior.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Sounds like the kind of cop most of this forum would want. The "no blue falcon" mentality is why so many cops cover for other cop's poor behavior.

No, they are still just as bad with the thin blue line poo poo, but way more likely to cite you for every single thing they possibly can 99% of the time.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

bulletsponge13 posted:

No, they are still just as bad with the thin blue line poo poo, but way more likely to cite you for every single thing they possibly can 99% of the time.

Can confirm

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Chichevache posted:

No, they’re loyal each other and sycophants to the COC while loving over enlisted marines for doing 25 in a 24.

MP/MAs are the worst

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

No, they’re loyal each other and sycophants to the COC while loving over enlisted marines for doing 25 in a 24.

MP/MAs are the worst

Do... do the marines have 24 mph zones on their bases? :psyduck:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Chichevache posted:

No, I meant that as a joke about how both anal retentive and bad at their job they are.

Like JayZ “you were doing 55 in a 54

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some of the very first things MPs of the various services did in iraq/afghanistan bases was to set up speed limits and start ticketing people for traffic violations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chichevache posted:

Maybe not 24mph, but I have seen plenty of 15 and 20mph stretches on bases across the nation. These aren't residential areas or anything. Just spots that have sudden speed limit drops without real rhyme or reason.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I was looking for the picture i took of an 8 and 1/2 mph speed limit but couldnt find it sadly. Theres always this instead

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.inverse.com/amp/article/58332-police-use-of-force-homicides-study

“In a study released Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a team of sociologists and criminal justice researchers used data compiled by the National Vital Statistic System’s mortality files, as well as Fatal Encounters (FE), a journalist-led database, to create one of the few comprehensive baseline estimates available for how often Americans are killed by police.

They determined that police violence is one of the leading causes of death of young men in the United States. Overall, it’s estimated that the mortality rate is about 1.8 per 100,000 for men between the ages of 25 and 29. This ranks police use-of-force as the sixth leading cause of death for young men, placing it behind other public health issues like suicide and “accidents” — a category that includes drug overdoses and car accident deaths.”

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some of the very first things E-9s of the various services did in iraq/afghanistan bases was to set up speed limits and order the MPs to start ticketing people for traffic violations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There was a Sergeant Major in Pendleton that was famous for trying to stop ambulances running code from speeding on “””””HIS””””” road. This was during the height of the Iraq war.

The daywalker, lol I heard he got fat and sells cds of himself calling cadence outside the MCX now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

There was a Sergeant Major in Pendleton that was famous for trying to stop ambulances running code from speeding on “””””HIS””””” road. This was during the height of the Iraq war.

The daywalker, lol I heard he got fat and sells cds of himself calling cadence outside the MCX now.

:lol:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Oh gently caress, if this is the same guy I think he was my 1st Sgt in boot. loving lol.

Vines?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Cool.

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1158765197647126528?s=21

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I always wondered how bike and mounted police brought their arrestees in. My mental image was a lot funnier and didn't look nearly as racist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It doesn’t just look racist. It is racist.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I always wondered how bike and mounted police brought their arrestees in. My mental image was a lot funnier and didn't look nearly as racist.

For bike cops and ATV cops around where I used to live, they wait for cars or paddy wagons to come. Especially beach cops.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

For bike cops and ATV cops around where I used to live, they wait for cars or paddy wagons to come. Especially beach cops.

This. I've never seen this kinda poo poo, and BCPD used to use mounted guys pretty regularly when I was kid

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The article says there were no transport units available, so they were bringing the guy to their staging area two blocks away.

How the gently caress do you make that decision without thinking it through?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Maybe they thought it through.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Maybe. Maybe not.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Honestly, I'm a little surprised they didn't hogtie him and throw him on the back of one of the horses.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

The article says there were no transport units available, so they were bringing the guy to their staging area two blocks away.

Probably a combination of having no self awareness at all, no concern for the way poo poo will look, no training ingrained into them that they're always being recorded, the fact that they probably were "well poo poo we can't leave our horses here, I dont want to walk 2 blocks alongside my horse," throw in a dash of subconscious racism, and probably even conscious racism, and you get that horrid PR nightmare.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

A Bad Poster posted:

Honestly, I'm a little surprised they didn't hogtie him and throw him on the back of one of the horses.

We call this the Red Dead Redemption around here.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Probably a combination of having no self awareness at all, no concern for the way poo poo will look, no training ingrained into them that they're always being recorded, the fact that they probably were "well poo poo we can't leave our horses here, I dont want to walk 2 blocks alongside my horse," throw in a dash of subconscious racism, and probably even conscious racism, and you get that horrid PR nightmare.

The result isn’t a “PR nightmare.” The result is dehumanizing, racist behavior toward a person.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Screw these horse cops.

Even in my podunk town with 8 cops on patrol per shift, we were taught from day one that a prisoner's safety was our responsibility. From the second we handcuffed someone until we got them seated and strapped in to a car/paddy wagon, we were expected to keep a solid grip on at least one arm. That way, if the arrestee stumbled, we could catch them before they faceplanted.

Even if these cops somehow didn't consider the racial optics, they sure as poo poo didn't care about prisoner safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

The result isn’t a “PR nightmare.” The result is dehumanizing, racist behavior toward a person.