Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
posting while driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people shitpost on the way to work, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not

e: 47mph is too fast for a 40mph road, but it is legal for your speedometer to show 47 when you're only doing 40, as the speedo must never show less than the actual speed, but must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph.
It's also the average speed of the air molecules when you sneeze by some estimates.
More than two million drivers have reportedly crashed because they sneezed behind the wheel.
If you sneeze while driving 70mph, you travel about 30 feet with your eyes closed.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Guavanaut posted:

That's assuming that the database has the goal to minimize stops and maximize presumption of innocence, rather than the inverse.

Also assuming they want to maximize catching the people they actually want to catch. Resources aren't infinite and time spent going through the luggage of some harmless professor is time wasted.

Another thing that popped to my mind: If their system can't differentiate David Bakers from each other, and given that in Arabic-speaking countries certain names and their combinations are very common, this may be a purposefully manufactured flaw in the process to justify stopping travellers from Arabic-speaking countries at will. "It wasn't racial profiling, it was just a name match!"

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 6, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sulphagnist posted:

Also assuming they want to maximize catching the people they actually want to catch. Resources aren't infinite and time spent going through the luggage of some harmless professor is time wasted.

Another thing that popped to my mind: If their system can't differentiate David Bakers from each other, and given that in Arabic-speaking countries certain names and their combinations are very common, this may be a purposefully manufactured flaw in the process to justify stopping travellers from Arabic-speaking countries at will. "It wasn't racial profiling, it was just a name match!"

And here you've hit why it's set up this way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Your name is Osama? That's a cavity search

Contains Abdul? That's a cavity search

Mohammed? Cavity search

Your name begins with Abu? Cavity

I see your surname begins with al-, that'll be two cavity searches and a bonus hour in the interrogation room.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Mohammed? Cavity search
I'd laugh if the British system can't tell that Muhammad, Muhammed, Mohammad, and Mohammed are the same name, but they're all getting questioned anyway.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Makes me wonder if I share a name with someone dodgy, given my passport works perfectly fine at the automated gates everywhere I’ve been in except upon my return to the U.K., where it will always flash red and I have to have to go through a manned checkpoint.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mattiasharris/status/1158638099121037315

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

https://twitter.com/easyJet/status/1158642028143611904

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
WHy yes I would like to involuntarily lie in a stranger's lap during takeoff unless I happen to be AMAZING at ab crunches.

Sulphagnist posted:

This is the reason. it's nothing to do with laziness or incompetence, it's a mixture of easier profiling, and simple security theatre. Can't make the point that these are scary times you should be scared of without randomly stopping people occasionally. I got randomly bag-searched on my way through the airport last time I flew, I didn't make anything of it at the time (for obvious reasons) but it pissed me off in retrospect.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Apologies if this was posted already (it's a couple of days old) but a notably non-poo poo take from the Graun

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...mhwNVKvB9EupSjc

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

sebzilla posted:

Apologies if this was posted already (it's a couple of days old) but a notably non-poo poo take from the Graun

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...mhwNVKvB9EupSjc

It prompted several suggestions that the editor had taken a day off

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

thespaceinvader posted:

WHy yes I would like to involuntarily lie in a stranger's lap during takeoff unless I happen to be AMAZING at ab crunches.

The easyjet official reply is even more astonishing:

https://twitter.com/easyJet/status/1158642028143611904?s=20

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
The SNP are at it again

Nicola Sturgeon: ‘If we crash out with no deal, Corbyn will be almost as responsible as May or Johnson’
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-may-or-johnson

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

did the SNP vote for mays deal i forget

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Junior G-man posted:

The easyjet official reply is even more astonishing:

https://twitter.com/easyJet/status/1158642028143611904?s=20

I'd like to see it unfold, but I'd say as the seatbelt is still crossed those seats aren't in use, rather she sat there mid-flight, or before takeoff for the photo/twitterisms

Because I refuse to believe that any cabin crew would allow anyone to sit there during takeoff.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

*checking monitor* you say you're name is 'Robert'? sorry I'm afraid it's the cavity search for you

no I don't need to hear your surname

what I do with Border Control is my own personal business

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't wait for the first airline to render passengers down into a slurry for optimum packing density and then reassemble them at the other end for a non-included fee.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Can't wait for the first airline to render passengers down into a slurry for optimum packing density and then reassemble them at the other end for a non-included fee.

I think Ryanair already tried to introduce standing-room planes?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/DrRobertZands/status/1158656232019976192?s=19

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Lmao definitely a troll account

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ratjaculation posted:

ive had to drive from the north back to cornwall several times over the last few weeks and its hell. Holiday traffic is awful

I'm having to travel between Cornwall and Cambs regularly at the moment and the train is much better and cheaper even without a Railcard, if you can do it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flayer posted:

no, sadly james o'brien is a real person

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mediadave posted:

The SNP are at it again

Nicola Sturgeon: ‘If we crash out with no deal, Corbyn will be almost as responsible as May or Johnson’
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-may-or-johnson

That's the headline they go with. Over half the article is about what Johnson as PM means for Scotland, and that's their loving headline

Gaemblor
Jun 19, 2002

Sheldon Brown - Better than you think!

Flayer posted:

It's Trevor Bastard - same guy behind Simon Hedges / Streatham Rovers / Oliver Laughdugry / a billion other 'Trevor Bastard Extended Universe' parody accounts

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

I'm having to travel between Cornwall and Cambs regularly at the moment and the train is much better and cheaper even without a Railcard, if you can do it.

I'm a travelling dildo salesman so the train isn't an option atm

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ffs our press

https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1158691614195367936?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Upgrade to our Not From Concentrate option for just £6

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Tarnop posted:

That's the headline they go with. Over half the article is about what Johnson as PM means for Scotland, and that's their loving headline

I had a little meltdown about this to my partner earlier. The Guardian really is doing its best to become my most hated rag.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol that he's going to be challenging trump

https://twitter.com/cascamike/status/1158425501083586567?s=20

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Anything ever come of the sexual assualt claims against him?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ratjaculation posted:

Anything ever come of the sexual assualt claims against him?

He's a rich old white dude, what do you think?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Trump will stomp him into the ground. They're both senile old racist bastards, but Trump's got that psycho energy

Have you ever heard Biden talk at length? He's the absolute epitome of the patronising, self-congratulating liberal white guy. The first and only time I have I had to turn the interview off, I viscerally hated him within fifteen seconds

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 6, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

was that before or after he decided to run because he's absolutely awful at public speaking now. its why they're mostly hiding him from meeting the public

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Jose posted:

was that before or after he decided to run because he's absolutely awful at public speaking now. its why they're mostly hiding him from meeting the public

He was awful garbage before and blew up himself in every primary he ever contested.

Trump will curbstomp him for sure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Have you ever heard Biden talk at length?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

As revealed by a video shown on C-SPAN,[31][32] when questioned by a New Hampshire resident about his grades in law school, Biden had replied "I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do, I suspect,"[33] and then inaccurately recollected graduating in the "top half" of his class when he actually graduated 76th from 85, that he had attended law school on a full scholarship, and had received three degrees in college.[34] In fact, he had earned a single B.A. with a double major in history and political science, and had received a half scholarship to law school based on financial need with some additional assistance based in part upon academics.[34] During this time, Biden also released his undergraduate grades, which were unexceptional.[28]

From his spectacular 1988 run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tarnop posted:

Literally two paragraphs out of 32 relate to Corbyn. More of that article is about Salmond's upcoming trial for attempted rape and sexual assault.

Of course being as intelligent as any other nationalist Sturgeon thinks that the second half of next year is a good time for Indyref 2. Just in time to coincide with either the trial or the verdict.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Barry Foster posted:

Trump will stomp him into the ground. They're both senile old racist bastards, but Trump's got that psycho energy

Have you ever heard Biden talk at length? He's the absolute epitome of the patronising, self-congratulating liberal white guy. The first and only time I have I had to turn the interview off, I viscerally hated him within fifteen seconds

Biden is like, the epitome of the liberal candiate.

I.e. completely loving useless against a fascist.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jedit posted:

Literally two paragraphs out of 32 relate to Corbyn. More of that article is about Salmond's upcoming trial for attempted rape and sexual assault.

Of course being as intelligent as any other nationalist Sturgeon thinks that the second half of next year is a good time for Indyref 2. Just in time to coincide with either the trial or the verdict.

Seems like a great time for her to push it, keeps the SNP sexual assault scandal buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Jedit posted:

Eh, stil Sturgeon knows what she's doing with the 'Corbyn doesn't oppose no deal' shtick which is, well, an outright lie.