Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

This will go great in my dragon Mairsil Zedruu commander deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

All members of the old Weatherlight crew have at least one card

Not all Weatherlight saga characters do, though, although I'm not sure where the line is that makes a character worth putting on a card. For example, I don't think Belbe or Takara have cards, but I'm also not sure how many people would react if they were made.

Sorry, I forgot to mention he said the characters on the new cards both already have cards.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This + homeward path is a tap 2 to draw 2 cards and play 2 lands? Seems pretty nifty, politics aside.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The World Inferno posted:

This + homeward path is a tap 2 to draw 2 cards and play 2 lands? Seems pretty nifty, politics aside.

For Homeward Path specifically to work you'd need to animate the pendant first somehow. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

For Homeward Path specifically to work you'd need to animate the pendant first somehow. :v:

Karn! March of the Machines!

That second one is in my Zedruu deck!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
when there's something strange, who you gonna call

(from the flashback deck)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 6, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lands

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kurtofan posted:

also from yesterday, new art for sakura elder

That's the illustration from the FNM promo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Star Man posted:

That's the illustration from the FNM promo.

drat, i knew it looked familiar, but i got too lazy to check

just wanted to post snak

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Are slow lands ever played in constructed?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

ilmucche posted:

The Sunken Hollow/Cinder Glade/etc. were staples of their Standard environment, and Cinder Glade sees Modern play in Titanshift specifically as another RG dual with the actual Mountain subtype, but that's about it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In Standard, you play the duals you have, not the duals you want.

In other formats, not really. If your deck can afford enough basics that they'll actually come into play untapped, your deck can also afford to just play the good duals and not have to stretch that far.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

The Sunken Hollow/Cinder Glade/etc. were staples of their Standard environment, and Cinder Glade sees Modern play in Titanshift specifically as another RG dual with the actual Mountain subtype, but that's about it.

I'll stick to fast and checks until I can round out shocks and fetches then.

Why did GW get a filter land in that image when the others got slow lands?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
oh the sultat decklist was posted by the way

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/decks-commander-2019-edition-2019-08-05

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Seems like an alright precon.
Nothing insane, but looks fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The most expensive reprint in this deck is loving Tempt with Discovery, at a whopping 7 dollars.

Guess they're not stepping up the commander decks from hot garbage, glad I didn't preorder.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

The Shortest Path posted:

The most expensive reprint in this deck is loving Tempt with Discovery, at a whopping 7 dollars.

Guess they're not stepping up the commander decks from hot garbage, glad I didn't preorder.

Seedborn Muse is a bit more than that?
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Battlebond/Seedborn+Muse#paper

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Mandate of Peace 1W
Instant
Cast this spell only during combat.
Your opponents can't cast spells this turn.
End the combat phase.

A silence with a fog stapled to it. Meh.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ilmucche posted:

How slow we talking? The scry temples were all over the place last time they were in standard.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

How slow we talking? The scry temples were all over the place last time they were in standard.

In modern, moreso. As the poster above stated, you use what you can in standard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Well, this is a sad pile of garbage.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Obscil posted:

Mandate of Peace 1W
Instant
End the combat phase.

I mean, it's also a very conditional counterspell I guess. Fun card.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

And just like that, only 7 listings were left on TCGPlayer for Ixidor.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
It includes a handful of budget rare lands, which is an improvement over last year’s release. Nothing pricey, but beats taplands.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So why did they continue to make commander lovely?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Sickening posted:

Frankly this is better than printing 2-3 busted commanders every year like they were on a streak of before.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Sickening posted:

My best guess is the same reason they make the planeswalker decks lovely, they don't want secondary market types swooping up supply from the intended audience.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Obscil posted:

Mandate of Peace 1W
Instant
End the combat phase.

This would have been dope in standard

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I know people are bashing this for not being powerful, but this is - mostly - a good selection of cards that many players' LGSes might not have in stock. If I wanted a Nantuko Vigilante, I'd have to dig through the tower of drawers of commons, and the last Den Protector the store had was sold for the $8 it was worth when it was last played in Standard so I'd be out of luck there. Except for Sakura-Tribe Elder which is a great card but doesn't really belong, and Great Oak Guardian which doesn't fit the theme at all, the remaining twenty creatures in the deck would all make the cut if I were designing the deck from scratch.

The non-morph/megamorph/manifest related cards though (aside from Sol Ring and some ramp) are just bad and I'd replace them right away. The manabase is decent for casuals but Command Tower is one of the few I'd actually keep. Still though, there's about 30 important non-land cards in there, not a bad start for a morph deck.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Buffis posted:

I mean, it's also a very conditional counterspell I guess. Fun card.

if it's like silence, it doesn't work that way: spells cast before you cast it, and in response to you casting it, are already "cast" and not affected

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

if it's like silence, it doesn't work that way: spells cast before you cast it, and in response to you casting it, are already "cast" and not affected

On the other hand, anything cast during combat (lol) is getting eaten.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

oh - does ending combat like that act like ending the turn, exiling anything still on the stack? cause then yeah, that could work like a counterspell

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man has never waited until the damage step to cast Hatred, Berserk, or Tainted Strike.

Laugh at him.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

evilweasel posted:

oh - does ending combat like that act like ending the turn, exiling anything still on the stack? cause then yeah, that could work like a counterspell

Yeah, that's what I meant

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not just cast! It stops stuff like a Najeela activation and so on as well.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 6, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

evilweasel posted:

This is, I think, unprecedented, so maybe? But odds are strong anything cast during combat is some kind of trick so they're not getting the benefit from it regardless.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Could it stifle a titan trigger? Getting them to tap titan and prevent the land fetches is relevant?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

This is, I think, unprecedented, so maybe? But odds are strong anything cast during combat is some kind of trick so they're not getting the benefit from it regardless.

reddit has a translation of the reminder text, so yep it counters anything on the stack:

quote:

End the combat phase. ( Remove all attacking and blocking creatures from combat, and exile all spells and abilities on the stack, including this spell. )

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

reddit has a translation of the reminder text, so yep it counters anything on the stack:

Counters a creature flashed in to ambush an attacker. Ruins the opponents day if they were waiting for second main phase to play their creature or cast a sweeper after a chump attack.

Two thumbs up.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

They still get a 2nd main phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

resistentialism posted:

They still get a 2nd main phase.

Where they can't cast spells.