Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I just came across something stupid in my collection as I was packing my trades. Back in 2001, Marvel ran a readers poll asking for their picks of the greatest Marvel comics of all time. They collected the top twenty-five of these into a series of trades that were released weekly except the top five which were reprinted on their own. The thing is that a lot of the selections were... interesting. And by "interesting" I mean, "generally bad and in a few cases actively obscene". I'll post the full list in a moment, but I would be remiss if I didn't highlight that Amazing Spider-Man 33 was number 15 on the list and Spider-Man 1 was number 14 (yes, that Spider-Man 1).

Now for your horror and delight, here are The 100 Greatest Marvels of All Time

Comic book fans in 2001 posted:

100. Generation X #1
99. Captain America Vol. 1 #444
98. Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #232
97. X-Factor Vol. 1 #87
96. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #101
95. Iron Man Vol. 3 #1
94. Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #18
93. Uncanny X-Men #145
92. Captain Marvel Vol. 1 #34
91. X-Men Vol. 1 #121
90. Uncanny X-Men #282
89. Secret Wars #8
88. Uncanny X-Men #248
87. X-Factor Vol. 1 #24
86. X-Men Vol. 2 #53
85. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #238
84. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #194
83. The Avengers Vol. 1 #57
82. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #90
81. Captain America Vol. 1 #117
80. Fantastic Four Annual #3
79. Tales of Suspense Vol. 1 #57
78. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #31
77. Uncanny X-Men #266
76. X-Force Vol. 1 #1
75. The Punisher War Journal #6
74. X-Factor Vol. 1 #6
73. Iron Man Vol. 1 #55
72. Uncanny X-Men #162
71. Uncanny X-Men #172
70. X-Men Vol. 1 #14
69. Uncanny X-Men #212
68. X-Men Vol. 2 #30
67. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #13
66. X-Factor Vol. 1 #1
65. X-Men Vol. 1 #129
64. Uncanny X-Men #256
63. Uncanny X-Men #210
62. The New Mutants Vol. 1 #1
61. X-Men Vol. 1 #100
60. Uncanny X-Men #303
59. Iron Fist Vol. 1 #14
58. Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #100
57. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #298
56. X-Men Vol. 1 #9
55. Iron Man Vol. 1 #225
54. Marvel Spotlight Vol. 1 #5
53. Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #4
52. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #2
51. X-Men Vol. 1 #108
50. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #129
49. Uncanny X-Men #171
48. Uncanny X-Men #225
47. Uncanny X-Men #159
46. The Avengers Vol. 3 #1
45. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #50
44. X-Men Vol. 1 #12
43. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #6
42. X-Men Vol. 1 #58
41. X-Men Vol. 1 #3
40. Wolverine Vol. 2 #145
39. The Incredible Hulk Vol. 2 #340
38. X-Men Vol. 1 #2
37. Wolverine Vol. 1 #4
36. Secret Wars Vol. 1 #1
35. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #3
34. The Silver Surfer Vol. 1 #1
33. Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #12
32. X-Men Vol. 1 #95
31. Journey into Mystery Vol. 1 #83
30. X-Men Vol. 1 #4
29. Tales of Suspense Vol. 1 #39
28. Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #5
27. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #14
26. Daredevil Vol. 2 #1
25. X-Men Vol. 1 #141
24. Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #48
23. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #1
22. Daredevil Vol. 1 #181
21. The Avengers Vol. 1 #1
20. Uncanny X-Men #350
19. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #122
18. Captain America Vol. 1 #109
17. The Incredible Hulk Vol. 2 #181
16. X-Men Vol. 2 #25
15. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #33
14. Spider-Man Vol. 1 #1
13. The Incredible Hulk Vol. 1 #1
12. Ultimate X-Men #1
11. Daredevil Vol. 1 #227
10. Wolverine Vol. 2 #75
9. Ultimate Spider-Man #1
8. X-Men Vol. 1 #1
7. The Avengers Vol. 1 #4
6. The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #121
5. X-Men Vol. 2 #1
4. Giant-Size X-Men #1
3. X-Men Vol. 1 #137
2. Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #1
1. Amazing Fantasy #15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

So I just came across something stupid in my collection as I was packing my trades. Back in 2001, Marvel ran a readers poll asking for their picks of the greatest Marvel comics of all time. They collected the top twenty-five of these into a series of trades that were released weekly except the top five which were reprinted on their own. The thing is that a lot of the selections were... interesting. And by "interesting" I mean, "generally bad and in a few cases actively obscene". I'll post the full list in a moment, but I would be remiss if I didn't highlight that Amazing Spider-Man 33 was number 15 on the list and Spider-Man 1 was number 14 (yes, that Spider-Man 1).

Now for your horror and delight, here are The 100 Greatest Marvels of All Time

That's when they gave McFarlane his own Spider-Man comic right? I had the trade of the first arc and it's not great writing wise, but I don't remember anything super offensive about it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Madkal posted:

Also whatever happened to Moench? I loved his Batman run with Jones, and every now and again they reunite, but it seems he had a steep drop off after the late 90's which is a shame.

All Batman related comics Moench wrote for DC after '97ish are really bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

That's when they gave McFarlane his own Spider-Man comic right? I had the trade of the first arc and it's not great writing wise, but I don't remember anything super offensive about it.

The writing is incredibly lovely, but the real crime is an unreadably bad Spider-Man book was the more popular pick than what is defendably the best Spider-Man story ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

The writing is incredibly lovely, but the real crime is an unreadably bad Spider-Man book was the more popular pick than what is defendably the best Spider-Man story ever.

I was just wondering if I'd forgotten something worse since you mentioned some of the choices being "actively obscene" in the previous sentence.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The vast majority of that list is based on "significance" as much as quality of the story, at least Spider-Man (1990) #1 and X-Men (1991) #1 have what is generally considered to be cool art, and are historically significant in terms of the industry.

I'm more confused by things like Uncanny X-Men #350 (The Trial of Gambit) and Wolverine #145 ("Turns out Wolverine's been impersonated by a Skrull for the past year!") making the list, much less the first appearances of like... Sexy Ninja Psylocke, Bishop, the Sentinels, the Blob, Morbius, etc.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The trial of Gambit for formerly helping Sinister felt like a huge deal back then. It was near third Summers brother type poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't know where else to post this, but this dude did a really heartfelt video about what Superman means to him and the moral value of Superman stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz5nB7erEXw

Some of you might know I am not the biggest Superman fan on these boards but I have a renewed perspective on the character from this video.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Don't know where else to post this, but this dude did a really heartfelt video about what Superman means to him and the moral value of Superman stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz5nB7erEXw

Some of you might know I am not the biggest Superman fan on these boards but I have a renewed perspective on the character from this video.

You should read "It's a bird" if you haven't.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just stumbled across done boxes of old comics I collected.

From looking through them, they're pretty much the (near) complete run of the first Deadpool series (including Agent X), what looks to be like a good number of the various ultimate marvel universe series (mainly spiderman) and a bunch of spawn comics (IIRC, from about issue 70 through to 100 or soothing).

I'm trying to decide what to do with them.

I'm keeping Deadpool because that series was awesome, but would it be worth going through the effort to sell something like the ultimate universe and Spawn? Or is their only value nostalgia?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kin posted:

I just stumbled across done boxes of old comics I collected.

From looking through them, they're pretty much the (near) complete run of the first Deadpool series (including Agent X), what looks to be like a good number of the various ultimate marvel universe series (mainly spiderman) and a bunch of spawn comics (IIRC, from about issue 70 through to 100 or soothing).

I'm trying to decide what to do with them.

I'm keeping Deadpool because that series was awesome, but would it be worth going through the effort to sell something like the ultimate universe and Spawn? Or is their only value nostalgia?

Ultimate Spider-Man number 1 (the actual first issue, where Uncle Ben is still alive, that series had a bunch of number 1's) is worth some money, I don't know about the rest of it. If you don't mind putting in a little time, search the earliest issue of anything you have for prices, and for Spawn, if you have the Neil Gaiman poo poo or anything involving Medieval Spawn or Angela those might be worth something since they sure as gently caress aren't getting reprinted anytime soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In looking at how behind I am on reading new comics, I've decided it's time to cut a bunch of stuff. If I'm not excited to read the new issue, then I'm just not bothering anymore.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

There's also a new Marvel miniatures game they announced (apparently in 40mm scale, which is a bit of a bummer).

They've just put the rules up online for free.

Kinda weird to see Classic Doc Ock alongside Captain Marvel, though.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 6, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1158797368051085312
https://twitter.com/ConroyForReal/status/1158800762664706048
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1158801850847715329

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Quick personal question: How often do you goons re-read single issues compared to trade volumes?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Quick personal question: How often do you goons re-read single issues compared to trade volumes?

50/50. I am currently reading Kupperburg Doom Patrol, and that's all in singles. There's something about pulling out a single issue and reading it as originally crafted, looking at the editorial notes, letter column, and ads. I like reading singles. It also slows me down a bit, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but also isn't a bad thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Probably not what you're asking, but I do have to re-read at least the end of most comics when a new issue comes out cause I have a poo poo memory.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean, i read single issues all the time cuz that's how they come out on Wednesdays so that's what my collection mostly consists of, but if you're asking if i ever have the urge to re-read just one issue, no i can't think of a time i ever wanted to go back to one particular issue and not just re-read an arc

site fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 7, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I guess what I am getting at is that I buy single issues every Wednesday, read them and the board them/stack them and that's about it. But if I get a trade I am more likely to re-read that over pulling out maybe a 6 or so single issues for rereading a single arc.
I just find that I don't re-read single issues much anymore after the initial read. I have comics from when I was a kid that I used to read until the covers came off. Now I have a bunch that I usually end up donating after only being read once.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I rarely re-read singles, which is a LARGE part of why I switched to digital.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

I guess what I am getting at is that I buy single issues every Wednesday, read them and the board them/stack them and that's about it. But if I get a trade I am more likely to re-read that over pulling out maybe a 6 or so single issues for rereading a single arc.
I just find that I don't re-read single issues much anymore after the initial read. I have comics from when I was a kid that I used to read until the covers came off. Now I have a bunch that I usually end up donating after only being read once.

Honestly most of the time when I buy trades they just end up on my shelves anyway. So it's really about what form I want to collect the work in.

I think the digital pricing is ridiculous, so I'm not willing to go heavy into digital single issue buys for my weekly pulls.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think it depends on how contained the story is too. Like I'm more likely to read a trade that encapsulates an entire story (e.g. Transmet, watchmen) than I am a slice of serial storytelling (e.g. Spiderman issues 290-300).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1159201961415237634?s=20

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Back in the 90s...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

If you have the least amount of interest in the X-men you owe it to yourself to read House of X and Powers of X. The whole creative team is putting in the work!.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Vincent posted:

If you have the least amount of interest in the X-men you owe it to yourself to read House of X and Powers of X. The whole creative team is putting in the work!.

It's pushing so many of my mutants-as-futurism buttons.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Death Battle just did an episode on Ghost Rider vs. Lobo and it's a pretty fun one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UABTaB-_i8

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do they fall behind a bar, only for Ghost Rider to rise up in victory?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Do they fall behind a bar, only for Ghost Rider to rise up in victory?

It's more Preacher than Marvel vs. DC. Lobo blows up a big chunk of the Earth and all, but... not enough gun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1161908952512290816?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1162133274774396929

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thought that meant work from home at first

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I know I'm way late on this, but I finally got around to Captain Marvel. I didn't follow any of the ~discourse~ around it at the time, but I was aware that there was a small but very vocal group of people online who were extremely mad about it. And now, having seen it, I think I know why they were mad and I'm 100% with them

In Iron Man, Tony Stark had never heard of SHIELD. And when asked about it, Coulson said they were new. Now, the Captain America movies gave Shield this decades long backstory, and SHIELD became a very open and active player in later Marvel movies. But you could square that by saying that SHIELD had been operating in secrecy or obscurity up until the Battle of New York, which forced them and the Avengers project into the spotlight.

But in Captain Marvel, Nick Fury is flashing his SHIELD badge to randos on the street in the mid 90s! What the gently caress!

People were right to be mad about Captain Marvel

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

In Iron Man, Tony Stark had never heard of SHIELD. And when asked about it, Coulson said they were new.

Coulson doesn't say that they were new though, he said they were secret.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He sort of implied that the acronym was new.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Either way, it was established that "SHIELD" wasn't common knowledge in the general public

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah there's two scenes where he says the name of the organization to Pepper and then says "we're working on it" which would imply that the short name was new.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, if someone wandered past you holding up a badge and saying a name of an obscure agency would you know who they are or think about it ever again? Probably not.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Imagine being a comic book fan being shocked by a really minor retcon to what was essentially just a lame joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i cant believe the dumb need-something-to-be-mad-about-because-its-not-a-manga complaint regarding shield wasnt that homeland wasnt a word the govenment used until post 9/11