Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Drake Nest, Round 1A

Hand Changes posted:

- Master Splinter: Add Into the Night, Possession and Submissive Afflicion; remove Feedback Loop, Gnawing Horde and Empathetic Assault. Discard Scurry and Possession as Scenario effect.
- Rocky: no hand changes! Discard Nature's Lift and Avalanche as Scenario effect.
- Bullwinkle: Add Spare Dagger; remove Shield Bash. Discard Grab and Go and Spare Dagger as Scenario effect.

Battle Goals posted:

These are the BG for this Scenario:

ROUND REVEAL posted:

The name of this scenario should be "AOE status effects nest". Also the Demons fly, of course.

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand8, Discarded2, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 8 with Perverse Edge and The Mind's Weakness.

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Xiahou Dun) posted:

code:
"PERVERSE EDGE (08) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - Add +2ATK and gain XP1 for each negative condition on the target - LOSS
BOT: ATK1, Range(3) - STUN - Generate ICE - XP1"

"THE MIND'S WEAKNESS (75) [Lvl1]
TOP:  Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks add +2ATK - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: ATK1 - WOUND"
Bullwinkle (Hand8, Discarded2, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 42 with Hook and Chain and Leaping Cleave.

42. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Kafila) posted:

code:
"HOOK AND CHAIN (42) [Lvl3]
TOP: ATK3, Range3, PULL2.
BOT: MOVE4 - If the movement was in a straight line, ATK X, where X is the number of hexes you moved with this action."

"LEAPING CLEAVE (54) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check image) - XP1
BOT: MOVE3, Jump - Generate AIR"
Rocky (Hand9, Discarded2, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 43 with Clear the Way and Dirt Tornado.

43. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Eeepies) posted:

code:
"CLEAR THE WAY (43) [Lvl3]
TOP: Move and adjacent single-hex obstacle to an empty hex withing Range4 - ATK2, Target all enemies adjacent to the moved obstacle, XP1 - Consume EARTH: +1ATK, XP1.
BOT: MOVE5, Jump - Destroy all obstacles and disarm all traps move through - XP2 - LOSS"

"DIRT TORNADO (82) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK1, Range2, AOE (check image), Consume EARTH:+1ATK, XP1 
- MUDDLE all allies and enemies in the targeted area.
BOT: Move 3"

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
As an addendum (cause I've forgot to bring this us in a timely fashion before the start of the current Scenario) what would the thread opinion be on using the Extended Battle Goals from BGG?

Some people love them, some don't really care for them so I'd like to ask itt for your opinion. The main reason I'd like to add them is cause we've seen 80% of the available BGs after 9 Scenarios.

Please vote Y/N itt and we'll see what the popular consensus is!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

From what I've heard the extended goals are pretty well done on the whole. On the other hand, their purpose is to expand the pool of Battle Goals so that it isn't as easy to guess which goals your allies have, and if you're going to show us the six goal cards drawn every time it will still be relatively easy to guess for those that want to put in the effort.

Regardless, I vote Yes. The default Battle Goals have some pretty awful ones (like "earn 13 or more XP" or "end scenario with 100% HP" one above -- some classes just can't do the first at low levels and the second is very dependent on the scenario and class) so diluting the pool sounds great to me.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
So this is how I think the turn's going to play out.
Splinter stuns 1E where it is.
4E will stay where it is, shoot and wound me, but hopefully won't damage me due to shields.

Then my current plan is to jump to D3, and hook 4E to C3. I'll eat the retaliate damage, and if I'm very lucky might even get 1 damage in (woo go me!). That'll set them up for potential AOE next turn.

Rocky will then muddle them both, and eat a bunch of retaliates, as Flame Elementals are complete shits.

Thoughts?

And I vote Y to adding the extra battle goals

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kafila posted:

So this is how I think the turn's going to play out.
Splinter stuns 1E where it is.
4E will stay where it is, shoot and wound me, but hopefully won't damage me due to shields.

Then my current plan is to jump to D3, and hook 4E to C3. I'll eat the retaliate damage, and if I'm very lucky might even get 1 damage in (woo go me!). That'll set them up for potential AOE next turn.

Rocky will then muddle them both, and eat a bunch of retaliates, as Flame Elementals are complete shits.

Thoughts?

And I vote Y to adding the extra battle goals

Monsters with multitarget attacks will move to hit their focus and then to maximize effect, meaning 4 will move to hit Rocky as well. Assuming 4 moves to C2, Rocky can attack from where he is now and be out of retaliation range.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I doubt it's gonna come as a surprise that my plan is to get that sweet shanking energy a-going with The Mind's Weakness and then stun the demon (for probably no damage) with the bottom of Perverse Edge. I'm so original and unpredictable, I know. Then next round I'll get up in there and do some real damage, I just wanted to set up the augment so I could be doing Big Girl Damage the rest of the scenario. That cool?

Also my group has been debating trying the extended battle goals so hell yeah let's try them out.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
Of course I knew I'd screw up. Guess I'm glad it's pre-first turn.

So looking at the AOE template, it might actually be hard to not get hit myself by the dirt tornado (or cause Rocky to get retaliated as too close) if I stand in D3 and pull 4E to C3.
So I'll just jump there and do the ranged attack and leave them where they end up.

What do you think Eepies? were you planning on moving anywhere? As that might adjust how the AOE template can be set and might make my plan more useful.

I'm setting up for a Skewer potentially next turn, though I'm a bit worried about soaking 3x retaliates in the first room!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kafila posted:

Of course I knew I'd screw up. Guess I'm glad it's pre-first turn.

So looking at the AOE template, it might actually be hard to not get hit myself by the dirt tornado (or cause Rocky to get retaliated as too close) if I stand in D3 and pull 4E to C3.
So I'll just jump there and do the ranged attack and leave them where they end up.

What do you think Eepies? were you planning on moving anywhere? As that might adjust how the AOE template can be set and might make my plan more useful.

I'm setting up for a Skewer potentially next turn, though I'm a bit worried about soaking 3x retaliates in the first room!

Since the Flame Demon will move 1 to add a target to their attack, the group can get them to move to C2 without needing to be pulled, setting up your area of effect attack for the next turn. This turn you can just move to C5 and do a range 3 attack 3 on flame demon 1 without being retaliated against and hope for a +2, +3, or 2x modifier flip. That also makes it much easier for Rocky to hit both flame demons with dirt tornado without catching you in it.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
Orders submitted!

Planning to end up in C5 or E5 depending on whether C5 is blocked. Here's to flipping a +2 or better!

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Yeah, if you can leave it alone, I can Dirt Tornado both without getting retaliated by aiming at C3 once it moves to C2 or B2. If it moves to B2, I'll be stuck at C5, but if it moves to C2, I can move to B4 instead. I'll submit my orders for all possibilities for this.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

Eeepies posted:

Yeah, if you can leave it alone, I can Dirt Tornado both without getting retaliated by aiming at C3 once it moves to C2 or B2. If it moves to B2, I'll be stuck at C5, but if it moves to C2, I can move to B4 instead. I'll submit my orders for all possibilities for this.

We'll be moving it to C2. I'm not going to pull it with the Hook and Chain.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Just to make sure y'all are planning it all out right, Flame Demon 4 will attack the Brute and the Mindthief. The Brute is closest so he's the primary focus, and since the Cragheart and Mindthief are equally far away, the Mindthief is the secondary focus since she has faster initiative.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I'm just gonna eat the hit. Not happy about it, but loving flame demons, yo. I can only stun so many and I need to set up the augment so I can actually hit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shield 4 looks like absolute bullshit. I assume other classes have better tools to deal with it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^ Pure damage (Retaliation, splash) is probably the best way to deal with High Shield, low HP enemies...but yeah these guys are assholes.

Drake Nest, Round 1B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Xiahou Dun) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Perverse Edge (bot)! Attacks Flame Demon 1(E) for 0 (1base, +1mod, SHIELD4) damage!
Flame Demon 1(E) is at 4 HP and is STUNNED!
- Master Splinter uses The Mind's Weakness (top)! Augment - Persistent Bonus: On your melee attacks add +2ATK - (discard when another augment is played). Gains 1XP.
ICE is now strong.

That range upgrade is already paying dividends!

30. Flame Demons posted:

- Flame Demon 1 loses STUNNED token!
- Flame Demon 4 focuses Bullwinkle! Flies1 to C2. Attacks Bullwinkle for 0 (1base, +1mod, SHIELD2) damage! Chainmail's 1st charge used! Heater Shield SPENT! Attacks Master Splinter for 0 (1base, -1mod) damage!
Master Splinter is at 8 HP and is WOUNDED!
Bullwinkle is at 14 HP and is WOUNDED!

We haven't seen WOUND much so I'll remind everyone how it works: if a figure is wounded, it suffers one point of damage at the start of each of its turns. If a Heal ability is used on a wounded figure, the WOUND token is removed and the Heal continues normally.

42. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Kafila) posted:

Bullwinkle suffers 1 damage from WOUND!
Bullwinkle is at 13 HP and is WOUNDED!
- Bullwinkle uses Leaping Cleave (bot)! Jumps1 to C5.
- Bullwinkle uses Hook and Chain (top)! Attacks Flame Demon 1(E) for 0 (3base, +1mod ,SHIELD4) damage!
AIR is now strong.

WOUND eats straight into HP, ignoring SHIELD, since it's not attack damage. Bullwinkle had 3/20 outcomes to deal at least 1 point of damage to the Demon, so it's not exactly unexpected; still SHIELD4 confirmed bs.

43. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Eeepies) posted:

Forgot to show it in the previous updates, but Rocky is now the fortunate owner of a Minor Power Potion! Not going to be relevant this Round, but I'm sure it'll be useful during the Scenario.

- Rocky uses Clear the Way (bot)! Moves2 to B4
- Rocky uses Dirt Tornado (top)! Attacks Flame Demon 1(E) for 0 (1base, +0mod, SHIELD4) damage! Attacks Flame Demon 4(E) for 0 (1base, -1mod, SHIELD4) damage!
Flame Demon 1(E) is at 4 HP and is MUDDLED!
Flame Demon 4(E) is at 4 HP and is MUDDLED!

No way for Rocky to pass the Shield, so a +0 and a -1 mods are actually good draws for this Round.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- ICE is now waning.
- AIR is now waning.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
Shield 4 - still bullshit.

My plan for this round is to move to E3 and then hit both of them with a piercing attack. Still worried about the incoming damage - 7 minimum from retaliation and then whatever the demons put out. Hopefully I can get some actual damage through the shields.

Alternatively I could just charge one of them for a high damage attack that might get 2 or more damage through the shields on one of them.

What do you all think?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

If Bullwinkle is willing to risk 6 retaliation damage going fast and making the demons eat some air is an option that could deal decent damage.

E: memo to self, refresh page before posting

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
I can do a bit of guaranteed damage to both demons moderately early, so that'll be my plan for this turn. Hopefully it's enough so that you don't suffer retaliation from at least one of them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Eeepies posted:

I can do a bit of guaranteed damage to both demons moderately early, so that'll be my plan for this turn. Hopefully it's enough so that you don't suffer retaliation from at least one of them.

Since retaliate doesn't trigger if the monster dies, softening them up with any amount of shield-ignoring damage is huge.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
Yep I think going fast and soaking some retaliate will be the best.
I'll submit orders in a mo

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Wow these guys are bullshit. Good luck players

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
Orders submitted.
Going to be a bit spend-y this turn but hoping it'll pay off!

(Half expecting a moment)

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
This room is kind of bullshit with 3 players, as it's the exact same monster setup as with 4 players. At least make one of the demons normal!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Slaan posted:

Wow these guys are bullshit. Good luck players

:allears:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hey, earlier in the thread one of you said that the way to deal with things like this was to push them into traps and then misread the rules.

In my Gloomhaven group I've been using the mindthief to, uh...push things into traps. What's illegal about that? Because you're right--it works great and I thought it was an extremely good strategy!

e: oh, is it because these are flying units and as such wouldn't spring a trap?

FairGame fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 6, 2019

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

FairGame posted:

Exactly. There are a couple of ways to trap flying creatures, but we haven't seen or unlocked the characters for it yet.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If Splinter can knock one of them out early by having them trigger the retaliation of the other demon, that might help prevent Bullwinkle from taking multiple retaliates.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Other ways to deal with high shield values besides direct damage: removal (instant kill effects), Wound, Poison effectively reduces shield by 1, pierce helps some of the time, and sheer high damage output. The Scoundrel at L1 can manage a once per scenario Attack 12 or better with a power potion. Some scenarios don't require you to kill everything, so sometimes running away will help, too.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Narsham posted:

Other ways to deal with high shield values besides direct damage: removal (instant kill effects), Wound, Poison effectively reduces shield by 1, pierce helps some of the time, and sheer high damage output. The Scoundrel at L1 can manage a once per scenario Attack 12 or better with a power potion. Some scenarios don't require you to kill everything, so sometimes running away will help, too.

Well this specific scenario only requires Drake kills, so our intrepid heroes could technically just say "NAWP" and forge on. That being said, considering how hard Fire Demons can hit, and their ridiculous move/fire range, it's possibly probably not living their best lives.

FairGame posted:

Ayup.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kobal2 posted:

Well this specific scenario only requires Drake kills, so our intrepid heroes could technically just say "NAWP" and forge on. That being said, considering how hard Fire Demons can hit, and their ridiculous move/fire range, it's possibly probably not living their best lives.
Yeah, Flame Demons are not an enemy you can safely ignore under most circumstances. They're not Living Corpses. They are fast-moving, can fly, and have wicked range (with occasional AoE for extra kicks).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Reik posted:

If Splinter can knock one of them out early by having them trigger the retaliation of the other demon, that might help prevent Bullwinkle from taking multiple retaliates.

I'm debating between this and just straight up whomping on some demons and consuming the ice.

My team have any thoughts?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Double-post, but stun doesn't stop retaliate, right?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Correct.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

^^^Thanks. I thought that was the case but a man can dream.

Orders submitted. Going lightning fast to do some mind control and then probably a bullshit attack just cause I needed to something else with my turn and maybe something will happen.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

No, stunned creatures can still retaliate. However if you stun them before an action card which grants/increases retaliate, your stun will prevent them from getting that effect, at least. But there's nothing to be done for baseline retaliate unless you can push them out of range, or kill 'em.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Drake Nest, Round 2A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

ROUND REVEAL posted:

Good thing there is no Fire Element to consume!

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand6, Discarded3, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 9 with Hostile Takeover and Submissive Affliction.

9. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Xiahou Dun) posted:

code:
"HOSTILE TAKEOVER (09) [Lvl2]
TOP: ATK2, Range 4 - IMMOBILIZE - Generate ICE - 1XP
BOT: Round Bonus: Force one normal or elite enemy within Range 3 to perform its turn this Round as if it's allies were enemies and its enemies were allies - 2XP - LOSS"

"SUBMISSIVE AFFLICTION (48) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2 - Add +ATK1 for each negative condition on the target - XP1
BOT: Force one enemy within Range5 to perform ATK2 (Range0) targeting another enemy with you controlling the action."
Bullwinkle (Hand8, Discarded2, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 18 with Eye for an Eye and Skewer.

18. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Kafila) posted:

code:
"EYE FOR AN EYE (18) [Lvl1]
TOP: Round bonus RETALIATE2, Self - Gain XP1 each time you Retaliate this round.
BOT: HEAL2, Range1 - Generate EARTH"

"SKEWER (35) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK 3, PBAOE (check image), Consume AIR: +1ATK, PIERCE1 - XP1
BOT: MOVE6 - XP1 - LOSS"
Rocky (Hand9, Discarded2, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 29 with Rumbling Advance and Massive Boulder.

29. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Eeepies) posted:

code:
"RUMBLING ADVANCE (29) [Lvl1]
TOP: HEAL4, Range2 - Generate EARTH
BOT: MOVE2 - All adjacent allies and enemies suffer 1 damage - Generate EARTH"

"MASSIVE BOULDER (87) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range3 - All allies and enemies adjacent to the target suffer 1 damage - Generate EARTH.
BOT: Move4"

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
My first lesson piloting the Craghart is that 'fast' does not exist in his vocabulary.

My plan is to throw a boulder at one of them, then walk up to both of them to do damage. Don't think that the cards will change this plan?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Eeepies posted:

My first lesson piloting the Craghart is that 'fast' does not exist in his vocabulary.

My plan is to throw a boulder at one of them, then walk up to both of them to do damage. Don't think that the cards will change this plan?

Well the Cragheart is made of rocks you know...but yeah as someone itt said before some people slot in Unstable Upheaval just for the 13 initiative value, cause otherwise it's quite difficult to go below 2X.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
Glad they pulled a slower card, means we can get on with our plan without the Demons getting in the way!

My plan is to move to E3, using the boots to get there. Then hitting them with Skewer, using the air for +1 Dam and pierce.

Looking at all the splash damage etc. I'm hoping we'll get them both dead before their attacks!

If we do that, I think we'll have a round of looting and then I'd like to long rest to get back the cards we had to discard to the road event and get a bit of healing before we head into the next room and hopefully find some drakes to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
If I'm counting right, one demon should be dead by end of round and the other takes 3 dmg and is stunned, regardless of any modifiers ? That's a'ight.
Still, guys, you're planning on a third turn of card usage just to kill two blokes and you haven't moved towards the door. You also have 2 fewer cards in hand. It's an endurance scenario. Get moving !

EDIT : I'm not counting right, Rocky hasn't put up Backup Ammunition. But it ends up with the same result.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 7, 2019