Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlternateAccount posted:

Newest Catalina beta apparently crashes any and all versions of Firefox, avoid.

Avoid Firefox or Catalina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Avoid Firefox or Catalina?

Probably. Just seems odd for the fifth beta to be introducing big stupid bugs. >:(

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Benchmark of opening large files in macOS text editors:

https://birchtree.me/blog/how-long-to-the-major-macos-text-editors-take-to-open-huge-files/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sublime and VS Code are definitely the wrong editors to use to load up 1.5 GB CSV files. Why even pretend this is relevant?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pivo posted:

Sublime and VS Code are definitely the wrong editors to use to load up 1.5 GB CSV files. Why even pretend this is relevant?

If the user benchmarked a 1.5 GB HTML or Python file, do you think the results would be any different? CSV extensions in VS Code and Sublime are incredibly popular.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

1.5 GB HTML or Python file

:frogout:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Every so often I have to open big MySQL exports and I’m shocked how much slower Sublime is than BBEdit. I like sublime’s UI better but it’s much slower in like 2% of my use cases.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a reason I wouldn't have an option to create APFS volumes in Disk Utility using Internet Recovery Partition on a 2018 13" MBP?

I just created Macintosh HD under the bare Apple SSD device using MacOS Extended Journaled but my impression was that everything was supposed to be APFS going forward?

e: After installation it looks to be APFS so I guess the OS does something behind the scenes during installation? Either way, problem solved.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 6, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What’s the current state of the art in modifying mouse acceleration on MacOS? I’ve been using SmoothMouse for a while but wondering if anything better has come along.

(Also, any tips on troubleshooting mouse lag? Every few seconds the cursor will fail to track with my mouse movement. It feels like radio interference, but I’ve no way to tell other than testing with a wired model)

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

What’s the current state of the art in modifying mouse acceleration on MacOS? I’ve been using SmoothMouse for a while but wondering if anything better has come along.

(Also, any tips on troubleshooting mouse lag? Every few seconds the cursor will fail to track with my mouse movement. It feels like radio interference, but I’ve no way to tell other than testing with a wired model)

What's your physical setup? I've heard that some USB hubs can interfere with Apple's (or probably anyone's) bluetooth mouse. There's one super attractive USB hub that attaches to the bottom of the iMac but it apparently interferes with mice some times. I've also heard routers being too close can do it too.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Dangerllama posted:

Move your hand faster.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Violator posted:

What's your physical setup? I've heard that some USB hubs can interfere with Apple's (or probably anyone's) bluetooth mouse. There's one super attractive USB hub that attaches to the bottom of the iMac but it apparently interferes with mice some times. I've also heard routers being too close can do it too.

USB 3 mass storage devices nearby can cause interference too i think

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Last Chance posted:

It is interference from the USB3 port itself, I have taken to using USB extenders to get my wireless adapters away from the rest of my ports to not want to break everything when I'm trying to type on my wireless keyboard.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Martytoof posted:

Is there a reason I wouldn't have an option to create APFS volumes in Disk Utility using Internet Recovery Partition on a 2018 13" MBP?

I just created Macintosh HD under the bare Apple SSD device using MacOS Extended Journaled but my impression was that everything was supposed to be APFS going forward?

e: After installation it looks to be APFS so I guess the OS does something behind the scenes during installation? Either way, problem solved.

I’m pretty sure you had the option, but didn’t see it (insert standard rant about how trash Disk Utility has become).

And yes, Apple’s installer auto converts HFS+ volumes to APFS during install on any disk type where Apple thinks APFS is better. As of Mojave, I think that’s SSDs and Fusion Drives.

One of Apple’s help pages about doing a clean install tells users to format in HFS+ rather than APFS, presumably so the installer can decide whether to convert, so you actually took the preferred path.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Violator posted:

Ooh, I wonder if that's why my Apple Magic Trackpad and Anker Keyboard don't act quite as well as they should. I have a powered Anker USB 3 hub sitting right next to the mini... time to move it!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Last Chance posted:

Yep. USB3 is 5Gbps, which is roughly a harmonic of Bluetooth and older WiFi (2.4ghz) and very similar to 5Ghz band WiFi, so those radios are quite sensitive to poorly shielded USB3 cables and devices.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh heyyyy my keyboard has a USB port that’s about 3” away from my mouse. I’ll have to try that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel I got some improvement tonight when I moved my hub, will have to try more.

The one that still blows my mind is my works Dell AIO that comes with a little USB dongle for the wireless mouse and keyboard. If I plug it directly into the machine itself, I get interference problems. I have to have it on a USB hub I use for nothing else just to get it away from the system.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is anyone else's Finder Quick Look super slow? It will take 5-10 seconds to open a video that Quicktime opens instantly, 15 seconds for a spreadsheet that Numbers opens almost instantly, etc. If I restart the Finder it usually fixes it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Violator posted:

Is anyone else's Finder Quick Look super slow? It will take 5-10 seconds to open a video that Quicktime opens instantly, 15 seconds for a spreadsheet that Numbers opens almost instantly, etc. If I restart the Finder it usually fixes it.
Next time it slows down you could try opening the console and see what it spews out when you try quicklooking stuff (...assuming it spews out stuff). Anything else run slow or just those previews?

Violator
May 15, 2003

japtor posted:

Next time it slows down you could try opening the console and see what it spews out when you try quicklooking stuff (...assuming it spews out stuff). Anything else run slow or just those previews?

That's a good idea. Nothing else seems to run slow. 2015 iMac with an SSD. I'll report back with anything weird in console when it happens again.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Do you have any QL plugins installed?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Do you have any QL plugins installed?

Ah, good question. Looking through the various /Library/QuickLook folders:

DropboxQL
iBooksAuthor
iWork

are the only ones in my /User/Library and the /Library folders. I have 23 .qlgenerator files in the System/Library folder but I'm assuming those are defaults.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I heard the Dropbox one was causing problems for people a while ago, maybe try trashing it and rebooting.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

I heard the Dropbox one was causing problems for people a while ago, maybe try trashing it and rebooting.

Good idea, I'll give that a shot. Dropbox app and integration seems to be continually getting worse. I don't want their collaboration features forced into my folder syncing app. :O

Does anyone know of an app where I can specify actions when I click on screen edges? Like instead of a screen corner, I click on the far right side of the screen. I want something where I can click an edge and it opens a new Finder window. I thought there was a way to do this, but I might be thinking of something from back when I used Windows.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've jumped around from Dropbox to OneDrive to Google Drive and at this point, I've consolidated down to iCloud after committing to spending $3 a month for 200GB of space. My biggest complaint with iCloud are:

1) You need a third party app like https://github.com/Obbut/iCloud-Control to get more precise control over local copies (not a big deal if you have a large hard drive, but Apple's base 128 GB doesn't go far)

2) You can't view and edit many types files from within iCloud.com's web UI

iCloud.com seems like the most glaring issue, but stuff like this takes a long time to fully implement and I'm sure they'll make more improvements.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'll never not use Google Drive. For $12 a month (and a random domain) I can get unlimited space and then whatever else comes with the Gsuite. Pair that with rclone on a Mac and make the Google Drive a networked drive, I essentially have the same reliability of iCloud storage but on my Mac with no fuss or frills.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Related to cloud storage convo, my wife and I currently pay for way too much of this poo poo and I’m looking to consolidate things. With selective sync and family sharing, it looks like Google One might actually be our best bet until apple fully gets it together with iCloud. Is there an easy-ish way to transfer files from Dropbox to google drive, especially if a bunch of the files aren’t stored locally on any machine?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

1) You need a third party app like https://github.com/Obbut/iCloud-Control to get more precise control over local copies (not a big deal if you have a large hard drive, but Apple's base 128 GB doesn't go far)

This is awesome, but it's a shame that you need to install a third party app for something that should be common sense functionality.

I'm weary of jumping on iCloud because I've had bad experiences with Apple's sync in the past and I need versioning. Reverting to a previous version has saved my bacon a few times.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there something NoScript-esque for Safari, or like something that just runs on MacOS on the whole? JsBlocker isn't updated anymore and I have Ghostery and Cookie 5, but I'm still getting annoyed by cross-site ad tracking. Without changing browsers, what are my options here?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
128GB of storage might as well be 128MB of RAM in 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have an old-school iTunes issue.
All the songs in my library have a sorted path like:

file:///Volumes/BWL/Music/Icehouse/Man of Colours/Electric Blue.MP3

I lost my data on the drive so I have scavenged some MP3s from another machine. Now everything is unsorted in a big folder.
When I try to play something in iTunes and locate the correct file, iTunes offers to find other missing files, which are actually all present, but I'm assuming based on the lack of folder structure it can't find them.

Is there any way to bulk fix this?
Otherwise I'd have to manually click and locate the correct file 700 times.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Delete your iTunes Library file and import the giant cluttered directory while allowing iTunes to manage and sort your files. That will take everything in the scavenged folder and sort them in folders based on meta data.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

If the user benchmarked a 1.5 GB HTML or Python file, do you think the results would be any different? CSV extensions in VS Code and Sublime are incredibly popular.

If a user was working with a 1.5 GB HTML file, then its not a technical problem, its a human resorces problem. You have an insane idiot on the payroll.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

American McGay posted:

Delete your iTunes Library file and import the giant cluttered directory while allowing iTunes to manage and sort your files. That will take everything in the scavenged folder and sort them in folders based on meta data.

That's the nuclear option, but I'd prefer to keep my playcounts and ratings and everything.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Backup your iTunes folder first (rename it iTunes.old or something) and then when you start iTunes it’ll make a new folder with no settings

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks very much, I get the idea now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Silly issue, but iMessages on Mac OSX is not showing that it can receive messages from the phone number on my iPhone. Just my gmail and icloud accounts. Is there a way to allow this? Going to iMessages preferences, and looking at how I can be reached, only allows the two mentioned e-mail addresses. iMessages on my phone is allowing just my phone number, even though both addresses and phone number are listed as options where I can be reached at. What is going on? This changed a few days ago, it use to be both with no issues. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Some super convoluted solution of turning it on and off again, signing out and then in of iMessage on both your phone and your Mac, enabling handoff through messages and hoping your phone number then decides to show up in the list. Good luck.