Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

escape mechanism posted:

SAM was easier to get into, but now that I've tried it in dungeons, it feels really awkward to use during mass pulls. My first instinct was to do two ST combos to get the buffs from Shifu and Jimpu and the seals from the finishers, then follow up with the AoE Iaijutsu and the AoE rotation, but by the time I'm done with the ST part most packs are almost dead. Would something less GCD intensive like Meikyo Shisui > Shifu and Jimpu > finisher > AoE rotation work better?

As I've found it, it's usually best to just do ST to get your two buffs, not even the finishers, then keep alternating AoE combos. You'll get the seals from fewer AoE attacks anyway (1>2 compared to 1>2>3), and depending on how fast your tank is going/how big the pulls are, you can generally keep up the buffs fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Sjonkel posted:

I hope some newbie questions are ok here. I've been playing the free trial for a little now, and have a level 16 conjurer. Jobs are a little confusing since you can change them on the fly, especially coming from other MMO's where you'd have to make an alt. I always enjoy healing in MMO's, and want to heal at max level. But leveling as a conjurer seems extremely slow, so I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong of if FFXIV just is a much slower game than I'm used to. So do people level up healers from scratch like this, or is there another, better way?

Also, if I want to harvest or do tradeskills, it seems I have to change class. So I can't run around as a conjurer and gather wood and plants at the same time?

If this is your first job you should be mainlining the main story, class quests, and any blue quests that don't have "leve" in the title. Side quests sadly give negligible xp at low levels and it sucks. If you already have a higher level class that's further in the story you should be doing the daily leveling roulette and then dungeons, or PotD in Quarrymill if you feel like it. As you might have guessed PotD is not the best place for healers or tanks. You can also squeeze out some bonus XP from your hunt logs but I usually only do them from levels 1-10 anyway.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

escape mechanism posted:

I'm slowly making my way through the ARR post game (on to 2.2 now), but mostly getting distracted by the level 50 group content (Pharos Sirius and the Lost City of Adampor have a really neat ambiance that wasn't present in the levelling dungeons) which led me to try out RDM and SAM so now I have mechanical questions.

RDM was a confusing mess until I realised I needed to read the traits and not just the ability tooltips and dualcast clicked for me. The single target rotation seems clear enough (use Jolt to proc dualcast unless Verfire or Verstone are available, never hard cast Veraero and Verthunder, weave in Fleche and Acceleration, charge in for melee when your mana bars are full), but it looks like I should be able to initiate the melee combo once my mana bars are both over 81. Is there any benefit to reaching 100 on both? The lack of a melee AoE combo is a bit annoying but it looks like I'll get one by levelling up.

SAM was easier to get into, but now that I've tried it in dungeons, it feels really awkward to use during mass pulls. My first instinct was to do two ST combos to get the buffs from Shifu and Jimpu and the seals from the finishers, then follow up with the AoE Iaijutsu and the AoE rotation, but by the time I'm done with the ST part most packs are almost dead. Would something less GCD intensive like Meikyo Shisui > Shifu and Jimpu > finisher > AoE rotation work better?

An AoE melee attack is one of the first things you unlock post 50 (Moulinet / Enchanted Moulinet) Enchanted Moulinet costs 20/20, so that's your edge case for having 100/100 mana for 5 attacks. If you Manafication, you can stretch it out to 7 attacks in a row

Try not to cap out your mana for too long if you can avoid it, that's lost melee attacks. I tend to try to dive into melee as soon as I hit at least 80-80.

At higher level when you unlock verflare/verholy, you specifically do not want to cap out (or have a matching amount of mana when you dive in) because the extra effect on Verflare and Verholy only fire off if the respective mana is lower than the other. If your manas are matched up, neither will proc. If you do cap out, you can Moulinet or reprisal down, swiftcast either verthunder or veraero, then dive in.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Capping mana isn't recommended but it's not a deal breaker since technically the extra effect is just popping Verstone/Verfire Ready again, and if you do it when they're equal (or you get mixed up and use the one that's higher) it just lowers the Ready chance to 20% instead of 100%.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Finally decided to try healing, queued up with my CNJ, and got a group with a tank that refused to use his aoe moves whatsoever and everyone pulled aggro on every pack woo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Squidtentacle posted:

Man I really like this, nice work!

My glam situation has been "I want to feel like the class I'm playing but with my own style." So like the Thavnairian/Gloam combination for Samurai, fabric and hoods for Dark Knight, and eventually heavy armor for Gunbreaker (because all I think of when I see the Gunbreaker moves is my love of gunlances in Monster Hunter). I really like seeing alternate interpretations of the job styles like that.

My favorite angle is to try to slot in my character as a supporting character in a classic Final Fantasy; I've got no massive interest in being one of the protagonists or main villains, I want to be one of the weird sideliners. I even went so far as to adhere to FFVI hardware limitations for my SMN look:

She's matching Terra's color scheme, because there's only about four color palettes available for every character sprite in FFVI, and once you've seen that you can't un-see it. I wanted to make her a Gau-style wild mage when I started, but that was back in the HW days when there weren't really good 'wilderness rags' outfits, especially not for mages, so I had to abandon it. So yeah, I naturally tried to cosplay as one of the more niche FFV jobs, and had a lot of fun piecing that together... and got to level 60 just to do it, so I guess that's some fun incentive.

Maybe I should pinpoint more ancillary characters and jobs to design glams around, it'll give me more incentive to level up other jobs. I'm blanking right now, though.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

garfield hentai posted:

Finally decided to try healing, queued up with my CNJ, and got a group with a tank that refused to use his aoe moves whatsoever and everyone pulled aggro on every pack woo

doing dungeons at this point in the release cycle is folly, imo. I've just stopped entirely.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's got some.structural.issues (It takes like twice as many buttons to just pay a card because of the play button and for some reason your shields all stack with every other shield except succor except they do stack if your in the double stance buff BUT only if you start off in the regen stance and collective unconscious is way shittier than asylum AND sacred soil and is a channel so you can just place it and focus on healing or dosing like the others. ) but the last patch potency buffs make all that merely annoying instead of destructive.

Basically it's in an okay spot and way better than sch atm.

It's not as easy or effective at just healing or.doing damage as whm is but thats always been true no matter how much whm mains complain about their class.

A few pages late, but I found and recreated a macro to at least remove the play button from your bar, assuming you have a UI bar free:

Take a Hotbar, set it to 80% scaling (assuming you haven't rescaled your party list size) and line it up so the slots correspond to the party list slots.

Create 8 macros (I am doing this from memory at work, so if i got the commands wrong please correct me!):
/maicon "Play"
/action "Play" <X>

Where X is 1-8 for the party slots

Line up with the appropriate slot, voila, click to cast cards. Takes it off your button press hotbars, and I think makes it easier to cast since you don't have to manually target.

Still hits some of the marco follies (eg if another spell is going, won't work, just click a few times assuming you're not sleeve drawing) but I've been liking it.

Using maicon is clutch since it'll make the icon match the Play icon so you'll see what card you have draw, then just click next to the player you want it on.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really threaded the needle last night.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/463184323

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

garfield hentai posted:

I'm on my first character (GLD), just got Paladin, queued for my daily leveling dungeon, got Qalm, which I had never run before, but had unlocked, was the only one that wasn't level-synced down (I was 36, everyone was synced to 37), and didn't notice the icon change showing if I had Iron Will turned on (they put the Paladin Oath Gauge over it), and after the first trash mobs, the healer was like "tank...do you want to get into stance?" :toot:

Also that dungeon sucks if no one tells you what's going on.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Krabboss posted:

doing dungeons at this point in the release cycle is folly, imo. I've just stopped entirely.

98% of my dungeon runs go perfectly fine no matter where it is in the "release cycle" so that's definitely a hilarious overreaction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

garfield hentai posted:

They usually are fine(ish)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I blitzed through Dragonsong in a couple of days (well, almost, I think I have 1 or 2 more wrap-up quests to do but I've seen most of the big bits I assume, such as the reveal that the Griffin was Ilberd, his suicide mission to create the primal, Papalymo's sacrifice and so on. I was really mad at the last bit I spoilered, as I felt like we just got those two little ding dongs back and now he's dead! :(

I do have a question, as well. As I progress through the MSQ the blue+ quest markers are fewer and further between (which makes sense since I've likely unlocked most new stuff) and the ones that do pop up tend to be harder versions of dungeons I've already done or harder versions of primal fights and stuff. Do these wind up mattering? I've done many extreme primal fight quests because my FC has people who run them semi-frequently trying to get whatever mounts drop, so I cleared those quests out pretty easily. And for the harder dungeons, I will typically just check a bunch of them off and enter duty finder and then whichever one I get in, I do it with pubs and I like them but I'm just wondering if these end up tying in to the MSQ, or if at some point some character is going to be like "Wait, you didn't go back and do Ifrit Extreme, you gotta!"

I did have a MSQ during Dragonsong where I had to go back and fight Titan extreme... again... because he was being summoned by the kobolds. So now my thought is, should I bother doing any of these if the MSQ might eventually make me do it again anyway?

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Kanfy posted:

98% of my dungeon runs go perfectly fine no matter where it is in the "release cycle" so that's definitely a hilarious overreaction.

We probably just have different definitions of perfectly fine. At some point it just becomes easier to get exp doing deep dungeons or running with the squadron. I want to level monk but that means running ARR dungeons and I just can't be bothered.

People in the current expansion's dungeons are normally fine though.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Deathlove posted:

I'm on my first character (GLD), just got Paladin, queued for my daily leveling dungeon, got Qalm, which I had never run before, but had unlocked, was the only one that wasn't level-synced down (I was 36, everyone was synced to 37), and didn't notice the icon change showing if I had Iron Will turned on (they put the Paladin Oath Gauge over it), and after the first trash mobs, the healer was like "tank...do you want to get into stance?" :toot:

Also that dungeon sucks if no one tells you what's going on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally cool with mistakes, god knows I'm gonna make a shitton of them when healing. It's just kind of frustrating when the tank won't aggro the group, you tell them "hey looks like we're all pulling aggro, you should use your aoe, hit it every now and then to keep aggro and if there are 3+ mobs just spam the hell out of it", and they continue just going after one enemy at a time.

Edit - also didn't help that one of the DPS kept saying "guys only focus on the enemy that's being tanked", also he was a SAM how do you get to that level and still treat it like a "crowd control the adds, focus down one trash mob at a time" classic WoW style MMO

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

garfield hentai posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally cool with mistakes, god knows I'm gonna make a shitton of them when healing. It's just kind of frustrating when the tank won't aggro the group, you tell them "hey looks like we're all pulling aggro, you should use your aoe, hit it every now and then to keep aggro and if there are 3+ mobs just spam the hell out of it", and they continue just going after one enemy at a time.

It's been awhile since I tried the training stuff but I'm pretty sure the tanking tutorial tells you to focus tanking one thing at a time :negative:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Berzerker posted:

I did have a MSQ during Dragonsong where I had to go back and fight Titan extreme... again... because he was being summoned by the kobolds. So now my thought is, should I bother doing any of these if the MSQ might eventually make me do it again anyway?

Stormblood doesn't make you run any old dungeons/trials, IIRC, and so far at least Shadowbringers doesn't, either.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The lines are also different.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Xun posted:

It's been awhile since I tried the training stuff but I'm pretty sure the tanking tutorial tells you to focus tanking one thing at a time :negative:

It does have a part where you have to hit a group of enemies with your AoE attacks. The NPC CNJ in those tutorials is 100% honest though, which might send the wrong message to tanks who want to heal in the future.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

With the enmity changes it's painful seeing tanks lose aggro considering basically two attacks lock in it permanently. Like, even the now old school method of focusing one target and using a single aoe every once in a while is more than enough to hold any amount of aggro.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

I blitzed through Dragonsong in a couple of days (well, almost, I think I have 1 or 2 more wrap-up quests to do but I've seen most of the big bits I assume, such as the reveal that the Griffin was Ilberd, his suicide mission to create the primal, Papalymo's sacrifice and so on. I was really mad at the last bit I spoilered, as I felt like we just got those two little ding dongs back and now he's dead! :(

I do have a question, as well. As I progress through the MSQ the blue+ quest markers are fewer and further between (which makes sense since I've likely unlocked most new stuff) and the ones that do pop up tend to be harder versions of dungeons I've already done or harder versions of primal fights and stuff. Do these wind up mattering? I've done many extreme primal fight quests because my FC has people who run them semi-frequently trying to get whatever mounts drop, so I cleared those quests out pretty easily. And for the harder dungeons, I will typically just check a bunch of them off and enter duty finder and then whichever one I get in, I do it with pubs and I like them but I'm just wondering if these end up tying in to the MSQ, or if at some point some character is going to be like "Wait, you didn't go back and do Ifrit Extreme, you gotta!"

Hard modes of dungeons might as well be totally different dungeons. They take you to different parts of the area compared to the normal ones.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Krabboss posted:

We probably just have different definitions of perfectly fine. At some point it just becomes easier to get exp doing deep dungeons or running with the squadron. I want to level monk but that means running ARR dungeons and I just can't be bothered.

People in the current expansion's dungeons are normally fine though.

If people don't wipe, no one starts flaming each other and the group makes it to the end smoothly enough then I'd argue that should be "perfectly fine" by any reasonable standard. Everyone playing well and doing stuff correctly and swiftly is obviously a bonus that makes it go from "perfectly fine" to "great" but like, I can't imagine anyone being so bothered by unoptimal play causing a run to take some 5-10 minutes longer than strictly necessary or whatever that they'd drop doing dungeons entirely.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ibblebibble posted:

Hard modes of dungeons might as well be totally different dungeons. They take you to different parts of the area compared to the normal ones.

Yeah I know that, and I enjoy them, I was just wondering if they tied into anything, since the quest rewards for doing them are a minimal amount of gil and like no xp.

I am just curious if at some point the MSQ is going to be like "wait, we can't progress against this primal until you go back to Ampadoor Keep (Hard) for some reason!"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Xun posted:

From last week, two weeks ago?, I thought it was very specific about "you need to put yourself in a position to hit all of the things and if something starts to run away from you, throw your shield at it." The Smith tests were "you've got a group of enemies out there and one's going to break for your healer, what do you do?"

I didn't learn about how combos worked until I googled "why does riot blade have a dotted line around it sometimes".

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Kanfy posted:

If people don't wipe, no one starts flaming each other and the group makes it to the end smoothly enough then I'd argue that should be "perfectly fine" by any reasonable standard. Everyone playing well and doing stuff correctly and swiftly is obviously a bonus that makes it go from "perfectly fine" to "great" but like, I can't imagine anyone being so bothered by unoptimal play causing a run to take some 5-10 minutes longer than strictly necessary or whatever that they'd drop doing dungeons entirely.

Because if it takes 5-10 minutes longer, it stops being worth it. Like I said, at that point if you're just grinding out levels it's better to do something else. Obviously roulettes are still worth it regardless of however long it takes.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Deathlove posted:

From last week, two weeks ago?, I thought it was very specific about "you need to put yourself in a position to hit all of the things and if something starts to run away from you, throw your shield at it." The Smith tests were "you've got a group of enemies out there and one's going to break for your healer, what do you do?"

I didn't learn about how combos worked until I googled "why does riot blade have a dotted line around it sometimes".

Yeah the Hall of the Novice tank stuff, which I also did in the last week or so, makes a big show about teaching you to position yourself so that your AOE hits three mobs/dummies spread out so that you understand how to pull aggro from multiple enemies at once.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Glam posting. Someone said it earlier but Qitana Ravel has some great stuff like this sword!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think dungeons and trials are generally pretty fun? I haven't played too many MMOs and not really any like WoW or this so maybe I don't have the experience of grinding endlessly over and over for drops or xp. But I actually queue roulette a lot of times just to heal some dudes instead of leveling my DPS guys (which I do sometimes).

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

story reactions so far up to level 38ish:

1. I want those gun gauntlets.
2. WHO THE gently caress KICKS A SYLPH
3. I can't believe I had to hand deliver my dead sylph buddy to the other sylphs.
4. People in and around Ishgard are dicks.

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight

redneck nazgul posted:

story reactions so far up to level 38ish:

1. I want those gun gauntlets.
2. WHO THE gently caress KICKS A SYLPH
3. I can't believe I had to hand deliver my dead sylph buddy to the other sylphs.
4. People in and around Ishgard are dicks.

haha this is exactly around where I just wrapped things up last night (lv 41) and I agree on all points

does gunblade get gun gaunts???

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think dungeons and trials are generally pretty fun? I haven't played too many MMOs and not really any like WoW or this so maybe I don't have the experience of grinding endlessly over and over for drops or xp. But I actually queue roulette a lot of times just to heal some dudes instead of leveling my DPS guys (which I do sometimes).

I find ARR/HW dungeons fun with a squadron because you have to do some finicky things to get a smooth quick run. Trying to make the most of extremely dumb AI is a fun game in itself. Blowing through a dungeon with a group of friends is fun too. Pretty much any trial is too easy and dies too quick for it to be fun to me though. The appeal of the roulette is just that it's over in a couple minutes. And Bismarck for example is actively terrible.

Weirdly, despite the ARR alliance raids being quick experience, I hate them so much that I skip that roulette a lot. The HW and SB ones take time but they're more fun because you can't just skip all the mechanics.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cZk posted:

haha this is exactly around where I just wrapped things up last night (lv 41) and I agree on all points

does gunblade get gun gaunts???

no, just the sword thingy for gunbreakers :(

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Tanking squadrons is a true test of how good you are because sometimes your healer forgets that they're the one with the cure spells.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
After doing stormblood on a Samurai I’m thinking of jumping back into Dragoon for Shadowblood since I like a lot of the changes they did for the class. Would poetics be the best way to gear him up at 70 after grinding 60-70 in Heaven in High? I know you get a weapon and armor for the lvl 70 job quest but I don’t think I’d be strong enough to do that in the ~270 gear the dragoon was in at the Heavensward.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You'll really want to get the Scaeven gear and augment them, they'll last to about lvl75.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Squidtentacle posted:

As I've found it, it's usually best to just do ST to get your two buffs, not even the finishers, then keep alternating AoE combos. You'll get the seals from fewer AoE attacks anyway (1>2 compared to 1>2>3), and depending on how fast your tank is going/how big the pulls are, you can generally keep up the buffs fine.

This is incorrect to some degree. It's fine to do this if it's the first pull of the dungeon (should still finish the combo though) and you are just hitting things as the tank runs, but generally for ae meikyo > shifu > jinpu > mangetsu/oka is the way to go.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

79 MSQ reactions and :siren: spoilers :siren:

I'm so happy that I got to punch Vauthry in his ugly-and-then-suddenly-pretty loving face. I was also expecting Vauthry to summon Innocence, not be Innocence himself.

I thought the Exarch might have been G'raha Tia, but I didn't expect that he was also from a bad future.

Coughing up light really hammers in the fact that, yeah, you're gonna be hosed if you don't resolve this conflict ASAP. Calls back to the horrific turning scene from way back in Amh Araeng. You're the Lightwarden right now, which isn't exactly a good look for the Warrior of Darkness...

I expected Ardbert would have played a role in helping the WoL contain the light directly. Instead you're just on borrowed time for now. I liked the pep talk with Ardbert and Feo Ul.

Holy poo poo, Bismarck?! I think this is the first time we've seen the actual living entity on which a primal is based. I would love to see this concept explored further in the future.

I'm really liking the Tempest. The aesthetic, the music... yeah, it's so good.

I finally hit the point in the MSQ where you're gated by the role quests. I'm halfway to 80 so I should be able to finish this off in the next day or two.

So far I've been able to avoid spoilers except for the name of the final boss (thanks, Youtube). But even that's fine because I still don't know what to expect.

Shadowbringers is good, y'all.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
boy i thought form shift was gonna be a great change to keeping up greased lightning between pulls but christ

it's just it's own form of dumb tediousness. IDK why they don't just freeze the timer when out of combat or give a 30 second buffer where it stops or something. it's just spamming a dumb ability over and over outside of combat, it's just silly and as mentioned pointlessly tedious.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

79 MSQ reactions and :siren: spoilers :siren:

Believe it or not it keeps getting even better! And don't forget to grab your free level 80 set once you turn in the last level 79 msq, I've run into a surprising number of people who didn't realize their AF gear was sitting right there in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

So far I've been able to avoid spoilers except for the name of the final boss (thanks, Youtube). But even that's fine because I still don't know what to expect.

:getin: keep updating