Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

NachtSieger posted:

Got the nightmare whistle first Garuda Extreme run I did :toot:

Now to get all the other mounts since I learned that was a thing.

I gave up on that grind after two separate twenty minute attempts that didn't even drop a whistle for the chance to roll on against 7 others...and you gotta collect them all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

I gave up on that grind after two separate twenty minute attempts that didn't even drop a whistle for the chance to roll on against 7 others...and you gotta collect them all!
All ARR horse primals can be soloed, Garda in particular can be done easily in under a minute.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Algid posted:

All ARR horse primals can be soloed, Garda in particular can be done easily in under a minute.

How do you solo Ramuh?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
oh also, new stupid question:

does it matter what market your retainer is in for selling poo poo other than taxes? i've tried looking at the board in different cities and they all seem identical. what's the difference?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's just the taxes, but I've never, ever thought about it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

How do you solo Ramuh?

Grab all the orbs so you get some resistance to Shock Strike and he doesn't get the buff from loose orbs, avoid using strong dots and slow the hell down when he's nearing 60% so you have time to run over and kill the adds. Charm shouldn't be an issue since as the only person in the fight you will also be guaranteed a lightning circle which breaks the charm.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

How do you solo Ramuh?
You'll always be targeted by one of the thunderstrikes even when you're hit by the fear, so you'll never be left standing still for long. Otherwise, about the same as being able to solo any of them. The nerfs they did before Shadowbringers makes it impossible to overdamage him before his ult. There's nothing that's a surprise auto-kill. I soloed it the other day on a healer for WT, maybe a DPS needs to use potions and Second Wind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Grab all the orbs so you get some resistance to Shock Strike and he doesn't get the buff from loose orbs, avoid using strong dots and slow the hell down when he's nearing 60% so you have time to run over and kill the adds. Charm shouldn't be an issue since as the only person in the fight you will also be guaranteed a lightning circle which breaks the charm.

Ah, I probably wasn't grabbing orbs.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Tabletops posted:

oh also, new stupid question:

does it matter what market your retainer is in for selling poo poo other than taxes? i've tried looking at the board in different cities and they all seem identical. what's the difference?

It's just taxes. I tend to put my retainers in Limsa and the newest city since I figure that's where people will tend to be. The original 3 cities might just be best in general because that's where people have to server hop when checking market prices. I think it doesn't actually matter though because I doubt most people even take into account taxes when buying stuff.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Failboattootoot posted:

This is incorrect to some degree. It's fine to do this if it's the first pull of the dungeon (should still finish the combo though) and you are just hitting things as the tank runs, but generally for ae meikyo > shifu > jinpu > mangetsu/oka is the way to go.

Yeah that's a good point, I've mostly been thinking as the start of the dungeon and my tank is running through grabbing everything possible, which doesn't leave a ton of room for three full ST combos. Which hasn't happened in Heavensward so far, so maybe that's just a consequence of people doing ARR dungeons these days.

I also probably just need to be less paranoid about not using AoEs for brief periods to get my buffs going.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thundarr posted:

You don't have to do this anymore, he just goes immune until you kill the adds now. Same with Leviathan.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i just finished the 75 dungeon this morning, myself (paired with a healer-dps-level SAM, so that was, fun. glad mch is a wrecking ball)

i'm glad Emet-Selch and the Ascian's motivation is starting to come to light, as it were; I was beginning to wonder if they were ever going to evolve beyond moustache-twirling oh-so-mysterious snideleys. finally, something approaching a human motive. i'm sure he's completely full of poo poo in one respect or another of course; guessing which ones, though, that's the fun part

even having accidentally spoiled myself on things like the identities of the 79 and final bosses and a half-formed idea of what the final zone is, i've always felt it's the details and execution of these stories that matter, so i'm looking forward to where they're going with this

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

You don't have to do this anymore, he just goes immune until you kill the adds now. Same with Leviathan.

Oh wow, I didn't know they made this adjustment. Makes sense, though; at this point it would be extremely difficult not to overdamage those old bosses unsynced.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DizzyBum posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know they made this adjustment. Makes sense, though; at this point it would be extremely difficult not to overdamage those old bosses unsynced.

Yeah they tweaked a few ARR primals so you could solo them.

Ifrit and Ramuh got the invul if you rush them too hard, and Titan's gaols no longer insta-kill you and instead just pop after 10 seconds or so.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Ifrit and Ramuh got the invul if you rush them too hard, and Titan's gaols no longer insta-kill you and instead just pop after 10 seconds or so.

Wow, I had no idea.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

BisbyWorl posted:

The funniest thing about Titan's gaols is they make the fight easier solo since you don't need to dodge the knock back from middle attack, just landslides. I learned this when I ate it while trying to run a few Blue Mages through during SB.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Also, before the change, gaols on EX weren't fatal, it was Hard that got the adjustment to become soloable as those were the ones that inexplicably instant killed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Whenever bad tank chat pops up it makes me glad I main a tank and don't have to deal with bad tanking 90% of the time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gotta love it when a MENTOR is acting like a toxic pisshound in a roulette. He died during the Bismarck hard mode scenario, and started going off on people for being "loving lovely" at the game and telling them to uninstall the game and kill themselves. Someone told them "take off your mentor tag. You don't deserve it" and his amazing comeback was "get out of the game, it's not for you bad one".

First guy I ever reported because loving christ on a crutch assholes like that shouldn't be mentors.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 6, 2019

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Gotta love it when a MENTOR is acting like a toxic pisshound in a roulette. He died during the Bismarck hard mode scenario, and started going off on people for being "loving lovely" at the game and telling them to uninstall the game and kill themselves. Someone told them "take off your mentor tag. You don't deserve it" and his amazing comeback was "get out of the game, it's not for you bad one".

First guy I ever reported because loving christ on a crutch assholes like that shouldn't be mentors.

He should keep the mentor crown on because you ime you can expect poor play and awful attitudes from most pubbies that wear the thing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/1158555830171635712?s=20

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The mentor crown system is a blessing because before the fight even starts I already know which person is most likely to both be an rear end in a top hat and bad at the game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

*job changes to mch* crystarium's hogged

"... what?"

*racks aether pistol* crystarium's hogged

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, mentor crown basically means "I think im better than everyone else." This is often accompanied by being bad at the game and adamantly denying it, and it changes nothing whether they know they suck or not because they are simply a lovely person.

Im going to wear one, if only to see if it has any effect on people.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
So is the crafting mentor crown secretly the actual mentor crown for people who know their stuff and are helpful? I seem to have seen better behaviour from crafting mentors. But maybe that's just confirmation bias.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bobfly posted:

So is the crafting mentor crown secretly the actual mentor crown for people who know their stuff and are helpful? I seem to have seen better behaviour from crafting mentors. But maybe that's just confirmation bias.

You can't run ifrit 1000 times to get the crafter crown. People who get it at least have to know how to craft things.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Be cool if there was a kind of secret handshake for people who took the mentor role seriously, though.

But in all honesty, they should change the icon into something like a watering can to discourage the assholes.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

tbh I find crafter mentors to be much more likely to offer lovely advice like "just be an honest healer" in NN. I virtually never encounter crafter mentor crowns in duties though.

And while I've definitely met some mentors who are bad at the game, it's not really out of line with the average rate of bad players in df.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wore the crown for a while but never once attempted to mentor anybody

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i give the exarch my credit card number, its expiration date, and the three numbers on the back

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Important: The music featured is New Pork City. This is a good tweet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I wore the crown for a while but never once attempted to mentor anybody

I unlocked the crown, but never wore it because I realized half the stuff I get dumped into my response is "lol ive havent done this in awhile" or "uhh never tanked this one"

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Thundarr posted:

tbh I find crafter mentors to be much more likely to offer lovely advice like "just be an honest healer" in NN. I virtually never encounter crafter mentor crowns in duties though.

And while I've definitely met some mentors who are bad at the game, it's not really out of line with the average rate of bad players in df.

I try to defend the crafter crowns but them giving advice to follow the path of least resistance is VERY on brand for crafters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad that 30-50 feral hogs have found a way into every aspect of my life, and that I can laugh at them, because otherwise I'd be crying forever.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I never wear the crown but I do run mentor roulette on occasion (One day before the heat of the universe I’ll get the mount, and I do like helping people out), and I found out the other day if you were the mentor for that run and put the crown on your head. I felt so ashamed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad that 30-50 feral hogs have found a way into every aspect of my life, and that I can laugh at them, because otherwise I'd be crying forever.

I was not expecting the meme to expand into FFXIV but Denmo found a way.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh right, something about the final zone that I forgot about until now:

The song makes me think of Zora's Domain, which is very appropriate.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I NEED THIS FOR MY RED MAGE

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
The game considers me a returning/new player since I didn't play for a couple of months, so I still have access to novice chat. Can confirm the mentor crown should be replaced with something else because it just attracts people who want it to look cool. I observed several exchanges like this:

:v: How do I get the crown?
:o: It's a mentor thing, they help other players and such.
:v: How do I become a mentor??
:o: Why do you want to become a mentor?
:v: idk man I just want the crown lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Der Shovel posted:

I NEED THIS FOR MY RED MAGE

200-300k on Excalibur's marketboard.