Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

doomrider7 posted:

Wasn't there a part in Goldfinger book where he cured a womans lesbianism by basically raping her?

No, the rapey-ness is from the movie. In the book it's a scene right at the end where Pussy Galore turns up at Bond's bed, declares she's cured of lesbianism because he's a real man, and they have sex. It's pretty bad especially in how the scene infantilises her but it is clearly consensual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

nankeen posted:

i just found out i'm related to ralph bakshi

Is this a family secret they only chose to reveal now, or did you just discover it by research?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861448&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Since we're discussing Bond, I must give this thread a recommendation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kangra posted:

Is this a family secret they only chose to reveal now, or did you just discover it by research?

They had to solve a rebus by gathering clues given to them by other family members. They just got the final piece.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
nankeen opens up their hand and finds a crushed up flower inside, feeling compelled to snort it up like coke

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
e: mod removed by poster request

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 14, 2021

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Calaveron posted:

The I wanna say second or third Bond book is like, insanely racist. Like holy poo poo racist

Live and Let Die, and yeah

The third book is Moonraker, which I remember being simultaneously better and worse than the movie

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

nankeen posted:

research! my paternal line got totally erased in the holocaust and i am only just piecing it together.

basically this. our surname was spelt eighteen different ways and we lived in eight different countries over the course of a decade, during which time we all died. we're krymchaks, an ethnic group that was basically annihilated and is now functionally extinct - this may shed some light not just on me, but on bakshi, who is also a krymchak and therefore haunted by thousands of unfulfilled screaming ghosts

this also happened but was unrelated

Wow, I was just making a Sabrina the Teenage Witch joke. That's rough. sorry about your family nankeen.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
e: mod removed by poster request

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 14, 2021

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/InsideTheMagic/status/1158779783410585600

🛑

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as... Wait a minute

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can't wait for a bunch of mice that all look exactly the same and one big ordinary black rat that has nothing interesting about him design wise

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Can't wait for a bunch of mice that all look exactly the same and one big ordinary black rat that has nothing interesting about him design wise

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

wh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Viacom/Nickelodeon is buying Paws Inc. I don't have a particular attachment to Garfield, but I'm not too fond of a mega corporation owning another piece of pop culture.

Silver lining is that it isn't Disney.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Why

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I will die on the hill that The Great Mouse Detective is actually really loving good, and I know they'll loving mess this remake up.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

If nothing else, a photorealistic clockwork mouse robot is going to be terrifying. But no Vincent Price, no sale. I can’t imagine any living actor for Ratigan that would get me excited about this (cue someone in the thread doing just that)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, even though it isn't officially considered started until The Little Mermaid, The Great Mouse Detective is where I personally feel the Disney Renaissance Era started. Like, again, officially it isn't, I think TGMD bombed at the box office - I know Oliver and Company afterward did, anyway - but the quality of both films is at about the same level as most Renaissance Era films, so I wouldn't sleep on either.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, even though it isn't officially considered started until The Little Mermaid, The Great Mouse Detective is where I personally feel the Disney Renaissance Era started. Like, again, officially it isn't, I think TGMD bombed at the box office - I know Oliver and Company afterward did, anyway - but the quality of both films is at about the same level as most Renaissance Era films, so I wouldn't sleep on either.

TGMD wasn't a blockbuster but it made some cash. It's been cited, at least in retrospect, as the turning point that helped Disney be willing to put money back into their animation department. So it may not have officially been the start of the Renaissance, but it's evidently what let it get financed.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

It was a moderate success, which was enough for Disney to have faith in their animation department still being viable and allow Musker and Clemens to helm more projects, the next being The Little Mermaid. So yes, while not a huge smash hit GMD was the catalyst to usher in the Renaissance period.

edit: beaten

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also it is very good.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the problem was The Great Mouse Detective was put up against An American Tail and lost

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Like, by live action do they mean people in mouse costumes? or more cgi bullshit?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So we'd have unemotive weightless mice, or Cats-style uncanny valley.

Either way: bad

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Great Mouse Detective will be a barometer for 2024's live action Ratatouille remake.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
If they went with a Zootopia look it could be fine. But they say “live-action” so I’m picturing Cats bizarreness or Lion King blandness...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Do you think Beyonce will at least make a really cool Great Mouse Detective playlist? That feels like the only way something of quality can come out of this.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

goddamn it Disney why are you doing this instead of giving Atlantis or Black Cauldron another go

On the other hand, watching mice sniff around the air while disembodied voices talk will be a slightly surreal experience, if nothing else

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

I am seething with rage.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

asecondduck posted:

goddamn it Disney why are you doing this instead of giving Atlantis or Black Cauldron another go

On the other hand, watching mice sniff around the air while disembodied voices talk will be a slightly surreal experience, if nothing else

Those would actually work a be dope as loving hell. Ditto for Treasure Planet.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/animated_antic/status/1158874432925913088?s=21

Seems like it might’ve been a fake story. Would probably have gotten more press by now if it wasn’t.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I was just coming in here to post that! Yeah, guess Disney's out-of-control live-action-remake spree isn't quite that out-of-control, then.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, consider me suckered because I certainly fell for that.

If nothing else it would have been interesting to see how a live action handled this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2IctxaCPqw

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Robindaybird posted:

the problem was The Great Mouse Detective was put up against An American Tail and lost

sort of like Road to El Dorado and The Emperor's New Groove, now that i think about it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Benedict Cumberbatch as the Great Mouse Detective and ... uh... Sam Jackson as the antagonist??

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Will Smith will make a FINE Ratigan.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ungulateman posted:

sort of like Road to El Dorado and The Emperor's New Groove, now that i think about it

I never actually looked them up to compare, so:

Huh. Neither was a box office success by any means, but I had no idea RtED did that badly. I guess that's why we never got, I dunno, Road To The New World or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If nothing else it would have been interesting to see how a live action handled this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2IctxaCPqw

Having just seen The Lion King I have only this one thing to ask: what is with modern Disney being so sexless? Forget that "can you feel the love tonight" was shot in broad daylight, there is no sex between Nala and Simba, like they lick each other a couple times and then just go chill on a rock next to each other. It's just so boring and lifeless