Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Good grief what reason do they give? I know expense used to be one but we're way past that so wtf?
Money.

It's the same type of people that want to cling to an 8-10 year old laptop and get upset when I refuse to touch these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Well, then I guess we're not way past that yet. Good grief.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Money.

It's the same type of people that want to cling to an 8-10 year old laptop and get upset when I refuse to touch these.

Oh god these people are the worst. And when something breaks three months later: "You were the last to change something........"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well, then I guess we're not way past that yet. Good grief.
Nowadays it's probably not so much the actual price, but the "It still works, why should I buy new parts?"

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
Anyone have audio issues, do try installing this fix. Seems to do away with the DPC latency spikes plaguing me for months now. *knock on wood*

https://twitter.com/Pete_Brown/status/1155340823824883713

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Very first picture in that twit.

Cool fix.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Klyith posted:

Try this: Start -> gpedit
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
"Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" -> set to Disabled

But I don't know if that policy still works, it's from before this new "Universal Orchestrator" thing and I wouldn't be surprised if MS forgot about it. If it doesn't work there's a method to edit the task despite the obstacles in my reply to Bangers. But it's a sledgehammer solution so try the policy first.

For reference, this doesn't work. I decided to try it out and the Orchestrator carries on waking the PC regardless. That means the only way to not have your PC wake multiple times per day is to turn off all wake timers, or use a sledgehammer on Orchestrator.

Mozi if you're still reading let me know if you want the sledgehammer solution.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also, the update to my UWP dumpster fire!

A quick refresher on my situation: if I took any windows updates (besides defender AV definitions) the Windows.ShellExperienceHost app would stop working. This is what displays the action bar and taskbar features like thumbnails & right click menus, so a pretty important part of the UX!

I ran out of time with pause updates so I tried to skip the KB patch that originally caused the problems and manually install the most recent cumulative patch. Didn't work. ShellExperienceHost still kaput, and every troubleshooting option I could find for fixing these things didn't work.

So I did the Reset PC :pt: option. It kinda sucks, but it's marginally easier than a full format and reinstall I guess. For reference, it wipes everything in the Windows and Program Files folders without saving them but *does* save your User AppData. The most annoying thing is that it wipes the registry, which is a pain because now all your program settings are gone too. If I ever do that again I'll have to figure out how to back that up in a way that isn't super-painful.

So did it work? Well... my taskbar isn't broken. On the other hand, Windows Store is gone. Like completely gone, I can't reinstall it with the Add-AppxPackage powershell command. Also a few other of the built-in UWP apps like Mail & Calendar. So I guess my windows install still counts as broken -- if I had bought a game or software on the MS store I'd be unable to get it back. But I haven't and I can live with this.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Klyith posted:

There are a *lot* of them, and both x86 and x64 flavors. Even on a x64 install of windows you need the 32-bit libraries for 32-bit programs. Here's a handy compilation of all of them.

Alternately you can go to <your steam dir>\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist and run everything that Steam has there, which should at least get your steam VR working.

now it's asking for "VC_runtimeMinimum_x64.MSI" when I try and install any of the VC's

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

Also, the update to my UWP dumpster fire!

Did you try a fresh user profile?

Just create a new local account not linked to an MS account and log in, test how broken/functional it is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

Did you try a fresh user profile?

Just create a new local account not linked to an MS account and log in, test how broken/functional it is.

Yup, I actually did. On a new user account ShellExperienceHost was immediately broken, even after I had reverted the patch and it was working again on my normal account. That was actually what convinced me to just take the drat patches and reset. So I guess it's possible that it wasn't even the patch that broke it, the thing was somehow already borked but not totally. It was Schrodinger's UWP app.

I made a timeline so you can share in my complete bewilderment!
Event                          ShellExperienceHost Status
Before Patch                       Working
After Patch                        Broken
SFC /scannow                       Still broken
DISM /repair                       Still broken
WinStore Updates                   Still broken
PShell reinstall all appx thing    Still broken
Rollback to pre-patch              Working
Make a new user account            Broken
Take patches, refresh windows      Working       Windows Store
                                                 :psyduck: Broken

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That UWP sandbox is fickle as hell. If you look wrong at all those ACLs involved, it'll break. I mean, it got better over the years, but this still shouldn't happen on a core component. They should ditch the sandbox requirement for WinRT XAML UI and integrate it into the shell itself instead of this remoting bullshit that's going on.

I dread the day of the UWP file explorer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Building a computer for my son this weekend. He saved up 3 years worth of Christmas/Birthday/chore money to buy all the parts and he's pumped. Totally forgot to buy Windows. What's the cheapest way to get 10? Newegg has 10 Home OEM for $110. Is that really the cheapest way to get it? I see the OP says you can get it for $80ish but doesn't provide a link.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I got my windows licence by upgrading 7 I think from a goon not sure if this is Still a thing.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Building a computer for my son this weekend. He saved up 3 years worth of Christmas/Birthday/chore money to buy all the parts and he's pumped. Totally forgot to buy Windows. What's the cheapest way to get 10? Newegg has 10 Home OEM for $110. Is that really the cheapest way to get it? I see the OP says you can get it for $80ish but doesn't provide a link.

You can buy cheap keys on eBay or SA Mart that work. Usually from dubious sources, and only legal in the EU if even. But plenty of people have had success with them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lambert posted:

You can buy cheap keys on eBay or SA Mart that work. Usually from dubious sources, and only legal in the EU if even. But plenty of people have had success with them.

:lol: $4 for a Pro key. Hmmmmmmm.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I dread the day of the UWP file explorer.

We're already there. It's not enabled by default but it's there and it's as lovely as you'd expect

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/115275/windows-10-tip-unlock-uwp-file-explorer

TLDR: Create a shortcut to explorer shell:AppsFolder\c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515_cw5n1h2txyewy!App to see this monstrosity in action.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Vanagoon posted:

We're already there. It's not enabled by default but it's there and it's as lovely as you'd expect

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/115275/windows-10-tip-unlock-uwp-file-explorer

TLDR: Create a shortcut to explorer shell:AppsFolder\c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515_cw5n1h2txyewy!App to see this monstrosity in action.

:lol: it's like windows 3.1. Is there a uwp program manager?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I put my computer to sleep this morning and when I came home from work it failed to wake up from sleep. I shut it down and now it fails to boot. Error screen says something about a bad boot config. I try to reset the PC using and then that fails as well, now I'm making a boot USB to try and reformat the whole thing. Hopefully that'll work out.

It's been a few years since I reformatted anyway so I was kinda due but it really ruined my day.

If the boot USB doesn't work it's going to ruin my week.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:lol: it's like windows 3.1. Is there a uwp program manager?

There's no UWP Program Manager, but you can get the Windows 3.1 File Manager on the MS Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9p7vbbbc49rb?ocid=badge

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Brown_Thunder in SA Mart will sell you a W7 key for $25 that can be used to upgrade to 10.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is there any reason to have an actual physical CD of windows anymore or can I just buy a digital code or w/e and use boot USBs created from other copies of windows to install?

I guess if I didn't have a working PC alongside a new build/non-functional PC the CD would come in handy, but other than that a USB should work just fine?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Is there any reason to have an actual physical CD of windows anymore or can I just buy a digital code or w/e and use boot USBs created from other copies of windows to install?

I guess if I didn't have a working PC alongside a new build/non-functional PC the CD would come in handy, but other than that a USB should work just fine?

If you had no access to a PC with a working USB there is no reason to have a physical DVD.

I just used a 32gb stick I had laying around and it's now taped to the bottom of my PC case so in the chance I need it I'm not diging through a pile of random USB drives..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Party Boat posted:

Brown_Thunder in SA Mart will sell you a W7 key for $25 that can be used to upgrade to 10.

As far as I know, 7 keys still work as 10 keys, there's no upgrading required

mystes
May 31, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Why would you buy this when you can get a windows 10 pro key for $5 off of ebay?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mystes posted:

Why would you buy this when you can get a windows 10 pro key for $5 off of ebay?

Because people don't think to check ebay.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Because people don't think to check ebay.
Nobody would think to check SA Mart either except for the people who are constantly advertising that thread.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

mystes posted:

OP seemed dubious about a $5 key off eBay and the goon seller at least has a proven track record :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Agent355 posted:

The DVD would be a last option. USB drives are the preferred method these days since fewer and fewer computers have an optical drive anymore, and Win 10 will install far faster off today's flash drives than it can off any consumer optical drive.

Microsoft will sell you a key directly and the windows 10 download tool is freely available from Microsoft if you want to prepare a backup USB drive in case you need to start fresh.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The first time I set up my current PC I had to use the DVD because, for whatever reason, the windows download tool would not work on my old PC (Win7 Pro). Reformatted last year using just the USB drive and had no issues. Going to do it again soon so I'm up-to-date with 1903. I still keep the DVD stored just in case, and my key is on the packaging.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 7, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have a beefy desktop I use as a Plex server and also for downloading shows and movies. Sometimes I use it for Nvidia Gamestream to the nvidia Shield boxes I have in my house. I have to wipe Windows 10 and reinstall it but I was considering using Windows Server 2019 due to all the issues I have with Android detecting my smb shares and such. However, a coworker is telling me that Server 2019 is terrible for gaming because it doesn't have DirectX, drivers can be different, and Steam might not even work on Server 2019. I admit I know absolutely nothing about this, and I was always under the impression that Server 2019 was just Windows 10 with a bunch of options added, like 10 Pro compared to 10 Home. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a dumbass am I? I'm guessing I should just stick with regular Windows 10?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

fast startup is preserving the state of the kernel so it doesn't have to be re-initialized at startup. slack and firefox are user-mode with no kernel modules. whatever you are observing is either only coincidental or has a different root cause that fast startup happens to interact with.

the kernel doesn't change much unless you're loading a bunch of dodgy software that does weird stuff. don't give your users admin rights, kernel never changes, fast-boot isn't a problem unless you're doing software installs that invoke some kernel driver

Interesting. Didn't know that.

Regardless, my Slack problem is definitely gone so I have no idea what was going on there.

Alphabetized bookmarks in Firefox however, still there. I'm guessing my FF profile is corrupted somehow or there's some sort of jank going on between Firefox and my iCloud bookmark sync.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I have a random issue I'm hoping someone else has had and been able to resolve since I'm at wits end trying to find a solution. I've been trying for 3 weeks now to update my windows to 1903, and each time installation fails with error code 0x80070003. I've tried windows troubleshooting (does not find a problem) and every online solution to include building recovery media and upgrading after loading off of that, clearing old update files through command prompt commands or deleting folders in explorer, and the other sites are pushing downloads to install and run to solve my issues which I don't trust. I cannot get past this roadblock and cannot update windows because of it (nor use some software requiring me to be using the latest version of windows) and I'm hoping there's a magic solution I can't think of that doesn't involve a fresh install. Anyone have experience with failed windows updates or know what I might be able to try here?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I have a beefy desktop I use as a Plex server and also for downloading shows and movies. Sometimes I use it for Nvidia Gamestream to the nvidia Shield boxes I have in my house. I have to wipe Windows 10 and reinstall it but I was considering using Windows Server 2019 due to all the issues I have with Android detecting my smb shares and such. However, a coworker is telling me that Server 2019 is terrible for gaming because it doesn't have DirectX, drivers can be different, and Steam might not even work on Server 2019. I admit I know absolutely nothing about this, and I was always under the impression that Server 2019 was just Windows 10 with a bunch of options added, like 10 Pro compared to 10 Home. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a dumbass am I? I'm guessing I should just stick with regular Windows 10?

Your coworker is wrong. Server 2019 has directX. Some drivers might be different, but the standard GPU ones aren't.

But you shouldn't bother with Server, because it also doesn't implement a basic thing like SMB shares any differently than Pro. I would strongly believe any issues with Android connecting to SMB are all on the Android side. AFAIK that isn't provided at the OS level on Android, it's up to the app. A distressing number of apps only support SMBv1 or are poo poo at anything other than v1.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Using win server as a gaming OS has always been possible even now, but it’s also always been a huge pain in the rear end and not worth it

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Using win server as a gaming OS has always been possible even now, but it’s also always been a huge pain in the rear end and not worth it
Nah, you just need to go into services.msc and enable a couple things and a few things in the Programs and Features menu and it’s all the same as Enterprise, or LTSC. I don’t remember if they dumped UWP on it yet.

Also optimize for programs instead of background services is the advanced system dialog. I think that’s it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There are a lot of random applications and drivers that behave differently on server editions. Mostly intentionally or due to lazy stupidity rather than actual technical reasons. The last time I tried it the biggest annoyances were drivers that had a whitelist of supported OSes only including the desktop versions as well as a few cloud backup things that refused to support their free/personal tiers when running on a server OS.

As a general rule don't use a server as a desktop or vice versa. We have virtualization with near zero overhead these days, even if you need both roles in one physical machine there's a better solution than trying to force one edition to do both.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Lambert posted:

There's no UWP Program Manager, but you can get the Windows 3.1 File Manager on the MS Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9p7vbbbc49rb?ocid=badge

This is the most bizarre thing I've seen all day, but I like it

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I'm using a USB switch across a Macbook and a Windows 10 machine.

When switching to the Windows machine from the Macbook, keyboard/mouse will not wake it. I have to power it on with the switch on the case. Controllers will though (Xbone and Steam).

If it goes to sleep though, and I haven't switched from it to the Macbook, it will wake again with keyboard/mouse.

Macbook does not have this problem.

What could be causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GeorgieMordor posted:

I'm using a USB switch across a Macbook and a Windows 10 machine.

When switching to the Windows machine from the Macbook, keyboard/mouse will not wake it. I have to power it on with the switch on the case. Controllers will though (Xbone and Steam).

If it goes to sleep though, and I haven't switched from it to the Macbook, it will wake again with keyboard/mouse.

Macbook does not have this problem.

What could be causing this?

This is a 100% guess but it sounds like Windows is shutting down any USB ports that don't have wake-capable devices attached when it goes to sleep. Or something roughly along those same lines.

If I'm correct then what you'd want to fix this is a KVM switch that has keyboard/mouse emulation so the computer always sees attached devices regardless of if the real ones are actually connected. A simple dumb switch will not work because the computer won't be paying attention for those devices to be reconnected.

There may also be power management settings you can adjust to keep the USB ports awake, but if the Windows 10 machine is a laptop I'd be cautious about doing that because it may result in significantly higher sleep power consumption.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 9, 2019