Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Agents are GO! posted:

Alduin: "Such arrogance to take the name of Dovah."
Dovahkiin: "Well at least I didn't run away from a frostbite spider."

there's no way he could know about the Bleak Falls Barrow incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Something I've done has caused certain commands in the game to start taking forever--confirming a Wait, for example, or any kind of save/load/fast travel. I think it started when I started using BethINI presets but I'm not certain, I might have added something else in there along the same time that I'm forgetting.

I moved all my mods over to the same SSD the game runs off of, and pruned a poo poo ton (almost 1300 lol) backup autosaves out of the save folder; the latter helped load transitions a little bit but it still seems like it's taking longer than it should.

(ETA- Pretty sure I have autosave on wait on, so really I imagine it's just a delay on save.)

the yeti fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 27, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

Today, a frostbite spider decided to take on Alduin. (Alduin was trying to raise the Dragon near Rorikstead.) Spider actually hit him with poison spit too.

The best part of Skyrim is random poo poo like that, especially if you mod in more/different encounters.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Somebody finally made a Special Edition equivalent to Better Stealing! Removes the stolen tag from items under a certain value if nobody caught you stealing it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

Something I've done has caused certain commands in the game to start taking forever--confirming a Wait, for example, or any kind of save/load/fast travel. I think it started when I started using BethINI presets but I'm not certain, I might have added something else in there along the same time that I'm forgetting.

I moved all my mods over to the same SSD the game runs off of, and pruned a poo poo ton (almost 1300 lol) backup autosaves out of the save folder; the latter helped load transitions a little bit but it still seems like it's taking longer than it should.

(ETA- Pretty sure I have autosave on wait on, so really I imagine it's just a delay on save.)

Anybody? I tried trimming back some of the backed up autosaves in the mod organizer profile path and while that sped things up a little it's still not good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

the yeti posted:

Anybody? I tried trimming back some of the backed up autosaves in the mod organizer profile path and while that sped things up a little it's still not good.

I’ve noticed that happen to me too, mostly in the Wait department. Manual saves take a second or two longer than they should but it’s not noticeable, and auto saves when opening the character menu hang the game for like 10 seconds, but the Wait menu is where things slow to a crawl. Opening it and moving the slider is fine, but it almost takes a solid minute between hitting Enter and the actual progression of in-game time, and in SE I’ve noticed there’s now even like a 2 second day between hour ticks when it used to be fairly seamless.

I think it might have something to do with the number of mods installed or something, but I don’t know. It could be a script thing. I’ve long since accepted it as one of the perils of Playing Modded Skyrim.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve noticed that happen to me too, mostly in the Wait department. Manual saves take a second or two longer than they should but it’s not noticeable, and auto saves when opening the character menu hang the game for like 10 seconds, but the Wait menu is where things slow to a crawl. Opening it and moving the slider is fine, but it almost takes a solid minute between hitting Enter and the actual progression of in-game time, and in SE I’ve noticed there’s now even like a 2 second day between hour ticks when it used to be fairly seamless.

I think it might have something to do with the number of mods installed or something, but I don’t know. It could be a script thing. I’ve long since accepted it as one of the perils of Playing Modded Skyrim.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm seeing. Move slider, click/hit E, time passes, more time passes, waiting starts. I wondered if it could be related to the number of entities around that the game is keeping track of, but again I don't know what might have tweaked that way off track.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
A possible cause of this is your SKSE co-save files becoming bloated from NetImmerse Override data. If you google there's a save cleaner utility posted on a certain website which I found solved the problem, and some other information scattered around Reddit et al. If you want to do some more research.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

timn posted:

A possible cause of this is your SKSE co-save files becoming bloated from NetImmerse Override data. If you google there's a save cleaner utility posted on a certain website which I found solved the problem, and some other information scattered around Reddit et al. If you want to do some more research.

That seemed like a solid lead but it reports my skse save doesn't even have that section :/

Ed- Disabling autosave-on-X in the GUI fixed all the transition delaying, but goddamn to regular hard saves still take an age

the yeti fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 5, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm trying to install SPERG; I've got SKSE and SkyUI but as soon as I copy the contents of Skyrim -Community- Uncapper over to my Data folder, the game crashes to desktop as soon as the initial "Bethesda" opening video finishes. Any ideas? :(

Also should I be using the base Skyrim or 'Special Edition'? Seems like most mods only support the former?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sab669 posted:

I'm trying to install SPERG; I've got SKSE and SkyUI but as soon as I copy the contents of Skyrim -Community- Uncapper over to my Data folder, the game crashes to desktop as soon as the initial "Bethesda" opening video finishes. Any ideas? :(

Also should I be using the base Skyrim or 'Special Edition'? Seems like most mods only support the former?

Firstly definitely use Mod Organizer to keep your stuff in order instead of coping into your Skyrim install, it’s s lifesaver.

Second there’s a growing amount of SE mods, I know there’s a sperg and uncapped port cause I use them. Nexus is a little dumb about it but make sure you only search the SE section to avoid confusion.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Mod Spotlight: Dynamic Clothing System splits up all the outfits in-game into pieces, so it becomes even more of a pretty princess dressup simulator than before! I haven't played with it, but the screenshots show some clipping. I don't know if it requires a custom skeleton, and the mod description doesn't offer a good explanation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sab669 posted:

There are only a handful of mods I can't find from my Legendary Edition mod folder, and 95% of them have an SSE (Special Edition) functional replacement. Definitely use SSE if you can. And use ModOrganizer. Even if you're using like 2 mods, just use ModOrganizer. It takes like 5 minutes to set up and is vastly more convenient for everything mod related.

bony tony posted:

Mod Spotlight: Dynamic Clothing System splits up all the outfits in-game into pieces, so it becomes even more of a pretty princess dressup simulator than before! I haven't played with it, but the screenshots show some clipping. I don't know if it requires a custom skeleton, and the mod description doesn't offer a good explanation.

This seems cool. One thing I missed was having the extra slots on the character, like each glove, pauldron, etc. The mod description is pretty sparse so I don't think it completely replaces everything with the component parts but it seems like a start.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well I can't seem to find SPERG for the Special Edition, so I just downloaded SKSE, SkyUI, and Perkus Maximus... and it's not working... But Mod Manager fixed it :)

Unfortunately, PM seems to do nothing for Unarmed gameplay which is what I wanted to try out :( so now I don't know what to play.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's right here, though?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Huh. Weird. I dunno, their search wasn't working for me. Thanks.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

You wanna save Skyrim SE in the top left of the nexus ui and make a habit of clicking on that before you search, it seems like that makes the results work better

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

That seemed like a solid lead but it reports my skse save doesn't even have that section :/

Ed- Disabling autosave-on-X in the GUI fixed all the transition delaying, but goddamn to regular hard saves still take an age

Annnnd now I'm getting regular CTDs when I save, goddamnit :| I can get crashdumps out of SKSE too but I dunno how to interpret them

Does anything look dangerous in this mod list?
https://modwat.ch/u/ToxicSwolocaust/plugins

the yeti fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 5, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
An update on Dynamic Clothing System! Now with gameplay!

It just adds all the new armor pieces to the crafting system, locked behind Smithing progression as usual. Leather and clothing are made on the tanning rack, and armor in the forge. The author (apparently) rigged it to work with the vanilla skeleton, and I don't know if it's compatible with custom skeletons. The animations work p well, though there's some skin glitching through the pants sometimes. I haven't seen any bandits or guards use the armor pieces, so I presume the author didn't touch the leveled lists.

EXAMPLES

An assortment of armor bits from the mod:

The same, but with a full set of steel plate:

LOOK AT THESE HAMS

punchin ice boys:

real JoJo hours:

Sword works fine:

Mancandy:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey people, I'm sorry to segway right into an ongoing discussion. I upgraded my hardware recently. I'm looking for mod packs and/or mod collections. Specifically for SkyrimVR, but as far as I know, most flat Skyrim mods will work just fine. There are two reasons I'm looking for lists and collections: I don't want to deal with instability in VR, and my knowledge about the Skyrim modding community is about half a decade old. I know there's a long list in the OP, and I'm working through it right now - but I don't know how how much else is there, especially in terms of one-click-be-happy packs.

I'd like to improve the entire experience: making the world more beautiful looking, sounding, and feeling, gameplay improvements like better quest markers or deeper mechanics, good quests and companions. I don't at all care for the main quest; I'd much prefer an alternative start quests. But the ones I recall from 5 years ago were a bit barebones, and maybe there are better ones out now.

While I cross off what I can from the OP list, are there some other good resources to check out?

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 6, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There really aren't modpacks. The reasons why are, well, contentious, but it basically comes down to no one wanting to do the hard work of maintaining such a thing for the reward of being screamed at by lunatic modders and lunatic users alike. Read back in the thread if you're curious about the arguments (or hell, keep reading forward, since that's probably the next few pages of the thread sorted.)

The closest thing you're going to find to a modpack are some curated setup guides (that still require you to download and install and set up the mods yourself, though they generally walk you through the process). TucoGuide seems to be a pretty highly-regarded one (I think a few others were mentioned somewhere back in the thread fairly recently too). I'm not aware of any VR-specific ones, though I'm sure they're out there. There are probably some good resources at the STEP project too. Sorry for being so vague, I'm not super familiar with the VR side of Skyrim.

The OP's somewhat out of date but still has a pretty good list of essentials (not really updated for SE, much less VR but the essential mods are more or less the same).

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

docbeard posted:

There really aren't modpacks. The reasons why are, well, contentious, but it basically comes down to no one wanting to do the hard work of maintaining such a thing for the reward of being screamed at by lunatic modders and lunatic users alike. Read back in the thread if you're curious about the arguments (or hell, keep reading forward, since that's probably the next few pages of the thread sorted.)

The closest thing you're going to find to a modpack are some curated setup guides (that still require you to download and install and set up the mods yourself, though they generally walk you through the process). TucoGuide seems to be a pretty highly-regarded one (I think a few others were mentioned somewhere back in the thread fairly recently too). I'm not aware of any VR-specific ones, though I'm sure they're out there. There are probably some good resources at the STEP project too. Sorry for being so vague, I'm not super familiar with the VR side of Skyrim.

The OP's somewhat out of date but still has a pretty good list of essentials (not really updated for SE, much less VR but the essential mods are more or less the same).

That's very fair, thanks a lot. I think I'll start out with the OP and add things from the sources you mentioned, and then just looked at the best quest & companion mods on the Nexus or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord Stimperor posted:

That's very fair, thanks a lot. I think I'll start out with the OP and add things from the sources you mentioned, and then just looked at the best quest & companion mods on the Nexus or something.

Make sure you turn on their safe search function when looking at companions, not because I think you're delicate sensibilities will be offended, but getting rid of the "adults-only" mods weeds out a poo poo ton of chaff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Make sure you turn on their safe search function when looking at companions, not because I think you're delicate sensibilities will be offended, but getting rid of the "adults-only" mods weeds out a poo poo ton of chaff.

Which is a tad unfortunate because some of the best looking skin texture mods sadly are marked as Adult Only like SkySights and Tempered Skin, because they deal with boobies and poo poo. Hell I think there's even a couple of strictly non-adult mods that are tagged AO for weird reasons, but that's not really here nor there, turning off Adult Only is probably a pro-rec and clears away a lot of awful waifu mods that clog up the place.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Leave adult content enabled and just scroll past the giant titty mods.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Leave adult content enabled and just scroll past the giant titty mods.

I meant turn on safesearch just while searching for companion mods specifically. Of course I don't use companion mods (or companions mostly) so maybe there's a gem or two I missed that have a ton of great content and some skippable sex stuff that makes it adults only.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The only companion mods you should need are Inigo, Lucien, and Vilja.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked Sofia in a juvenile, everything is sexual innuendo sort of way, but I use companions for about 10 minutes a game before I get sick of hitting them in battle.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The bounty hunter guy whose name I can't remember right now is kind of neat

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I liked Sofia in a juvenile, everything is sexual innuendo sort of way, but I use companions for about 10 minutes a game before I get sick of hitting them in battle.

Sofia was alright for a while, but the constant "oh wait I need to shut up lol" at the end of her sneaking idle speech got old quickly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Eric the Mauve posted:

The bounty hunter guy whose name I can't remember right now is kind of neat

Hoth is p good, yeah.

And obviously Bhruce Hammar.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I heard Auri from Song of the Green was good but the description calls her snarky so I'm not downloading it until someone here says it's fine

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I ddon't really ever go super heavy on the modding but Skyrim VR is built ok top of SE, so benefits from all stability upgrades from that version over vanilla LE.

In addition in my experience it's almost better because unlike SE it doesn't get patched every month or so because of Creation Club, meaning you don't have to worry about waiting for SKSE to update.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Can I put boobs on a mudcrab?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
At risk of getting banned from the nexus, sure!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I heard Auri from Song of the Green was good but the description calls her snarky so I'm not downloading it until someone here says it's fine

I tried her and was very disappointed, her lines are 90% cannibalism jokes and she has an unremovable overpowered bow/arrows that one-shots basically everything before about level 25. That said she is programmed to be strictly a stealth archer and won't melee at all unless totally cornered, so if you want a follower that actually won't Leeroy Jenkins into your line of fire you'll like her for that.

The only good custom followers are (in order of my preference) Inigo, Vilja, Hoth, Arissa and Sofia. I personally have no use for Sofia's endless innuendo and am put off by the voice actress's bizarre emphasizing of the wrong syllables, but if her shtick is your thing she's well done for what she's for.

Arissa is notable for having REALLY good voice acting imo, but only a tiny custom quest and even simple follower stuff like changing her outfit or having her pick stuff up is locked behind a silly and annoying morality/friendship system.

Inigo and Vilja lap the field in terms of depth and breadth of the mod and character.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 8, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Eric the Mauve posted:

The only good custom followers are (in order of my preference) Inigo, Vilja, Hoth, Arissa and Sofia. [...]

Inigo and Vilja lap the field in terms of depth and breadth of the mod and character.

Did you try Lucien?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm running into a weird fog problem - I set all the values to 0 as per this video's instructions and when I first loaded up my mod house, there wasn't any interior fog at all for the entire play session and it was perfect. But when I next went into the game, the fog was back. The fog values in the kit hadn't changed however, they were all still 0. Changing the light template to something random like the Azura's Star template fixes the issue, but only until I close the game again.

The only weather/lighting mod I run is Vivid Weathers so I don't think that's the culprit. It's not the worst given that my interior has a lot of winding corridors so the fog effect only really makes one hallway look dull, but I just don't know what I've messed up.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Cool thing about Vilja, apparently Terry Pratchet (Discworld series author) worked a lot on her version for Oblivion in the creative department. Unfortunately, her accent is a parody of itself. Horrendous even though Skyrim accent is supposed to be based on scandinavian languages. I hope Gopher makes a follower mod, his voice is so smooth.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-29-the-story-behind-the-oblivion-mod-terry-pratchett-worked-on

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Midig posted:

Gopher makes a follower mod]

Companion that takes 30 minutes to get a simple point across