Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone here have the Korg Legacy Collection? I've had my eyes on it for a while and it looks like I can grab it for $100 right now since I bought a Korg controller a while back. I have the ARP Odyssey on iOS, which sounds great IMO and I'd love to have access to it as a VST (technically can use it as an external instrument via routing MIDI to the iPad and audio back to the computer, but in reality I almost never set that up), but how is the rest of the collection? I know a lot of plugins are a lot older than the relatively new ARP emulation, so I'm wondering how they hold up sound quality wise. I've also heard there are issues with the GUI scaling on some of the older ones, but Korg has said they are going to fix this at some point.

Also, on the convolution reverb note, if you have M4L there's built in convolution reverb devices that are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Thinking about uses for Iris' sample library reminded me of the fact that granular synthesis exists, so I did some exploring.

I tried most of the free granular synths I could find, and PolyGAS was the clear winner in my opinion. It's flexible enough to let you output something like a hundred grains of different shapes at once, which means it can sound wonderfully dense and organic (and probably consume your entire cpu when pushed to its limits). edit: Some stability issues, though. I've been getting stray error messages and now a crash that seems to have broken my install of the plugin entirely.

Any other granular synth recommendations? Especially commercial ones, I didn't look at those at all.

Maximum Planck fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 6, 2019

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Splinter posted:

Anyone here have the Korg Legacy Collection?
I have actually used the Polysix and Mono/Poly in tracks. (In fact LOTS of people use the default preset of Polysix...)

The M1 and Wavestation plugs are great for nostalgia; I don't personally have a use for those types of sounds in my work.

I didn't know the ARP plugin was part of the bundle now (bought mine ages ago). Would like to see how it sounds.

The effects plugin is cute, but it sounds like doodoo. The interface elements on most/all of the plugins are frustratingly tiny (unless they've made UI updates since my versions were published).

Anyway, I do regularly use at least a couple of the plugs, so I felt the bundle was worth it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maximum Planck posted:

Thinking about uses for Iris' sample library reminded me of the fact that granular synthesis exists, so I did some exploring.

I tried most of the free granular synths I could find, and PolyGAS was the clear winner in my opinion. It's flexible enough to let you output something like a hundred grains of different shapes at once, which means it can sound wonderfully dense and organic (and probably consume your entire cpu when pushed to its limits). edit: Some stability issues, though. I've been getting stray error messages and now a crash that seems to have broken my install of the plugin entirely.

Any other granular synth recommendations? Especially commercial ones, I didn't look at those at all.

I believe Alchemy (now 100% tied to Logic Pro X) does quite a bit with granularity, if that's an option for you. I'm guessing not, since you'd like already know of it if you had Logic Pro X.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I believe Alchemy (now 100% tied to Logic Pro X) does quite a bit with granularity, if that's an option for you. I'm guessing not, since you'd like already know of it if you had Logic Pro X.

Ah, I remember hearing praise for Alchemy constantly some years ago. Too bad there's no standalone version anymore (I'm using Reaper).

re: PolyGAS, I take back my recommendation. I can get the plugin to either remember presets or not constantly crash, but not both. :rolleyes:

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Splinter posted:

Anyone here have the Korg Legacy Collection? I've had my eyes on it for a while and it looks like I can grab it for $100 right now since I bought a Korg controller a while back. I have the ARP Odyssey on iOS, which sounds great IMO and I'd love to have access to it as a VST (technically can use it as an external instrument via routing MIDI to the iPad and audio back to the computer, but in reality I almost never set that up), but how is the rest of the collection? I know a lot of plugins are a lot older than the relatively new ARP emulation, so I'm wondering how they hold up sound quality wise. I've also heard there are issues with the GUI scaling on some of the older ones, but Korg has said they are going to fix this at some point.

You can't get it for free? I bought a Korg Taktile controller a while back and I was able to get it for free. Did the controller come with a software bundle pin?

Also, I just learned that Korg added iZotope's Ozone Elements to it's free (with qualifying product) software bundle. I was able to get it even though I bought my controller forever ago.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Maximum Planck posted:

NI Absynth has some pretty robust granular synthesis tools, and has enough else going on too that it doesn't feel limited to making long evolving pads like a lot of granular VSTs seem to go. The Mangle is also pretty good, though it's got some odd interface choices (or did, I haven't used it in a while) and was inconsistently supported for a while. I haven't used it in ages, but I remember Steinberg Padshop Pro being a surprisingly good synth, though it's understandably more focused towards the aforementioned long evolving pads.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's a remarkable amount of granular-type stuff you can do in Kontakt too. For example

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQw4okpXUQk

Kontakt also does wavetables too now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-m_ans6t2gY

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Vastarien posted:

You can't get it for free? I bought a Korg Taktile controller a while back and I was able to get it for free. Did the controller come with a software bundle pin?

Also, I just learned that Korg added iZotope's Ozone Elements to it's free (with qualifying product) software bundle. I was able to get it even though I bought my controller forever ago.

The only Legacy Collection related plugin my bundle has is the M1 Le (which gives me an upgrade path to the full collection): https://korg-license-center.com/index.php?hl=en

It does look like they added Ozone Elements to it as well, so thanks for the heads up!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Today is 808 day!

Kick2 is 30% off! https://www.sonicacademy.com/

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

You can currently get iZotope's Music Production Suite for $250 by doing the following:

Purchasing Ozone 8 Advanced (w/ Iris 2 free) for $99 here

Purchasing the MPS Crossgrade from Ozone 8 Advanced for $150 here

The MPS is currently 50% off on iZotope's site but at a regular price of $1,000 doing the above is a crazy good deal.

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 12, 2019

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

i vomit kittens posted:

You can currently get iZotope's Music Production Suite for $250 by doing the following:

Purchasing Ozone 8 Advanced (w/ Iris 2 free) for $99 here

Purchasing the MPS Crossgrade from Ozone 8 Advanced for $150 here

The MPS is currently 50% off on iZotope's site but at a regular price of $1,000 doing the above is a crazy good deal.
Good catch - is the full suite worth it?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Anarch posted:

Good catch - is the full suite worth it?

I've used my friend's copy of Ozone 8 Advanced for mastering and the tape machine/vintage limiter are fantastic, so I bought it for that alone. I haven't used anything else in the bundle yet, but I've heard Neutron is pretty good for giving you a workable starting point in mixing if you're not into working it out completely on your own each time.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You can actually get the MPS 2.1 crossgrade for only $126 from JRR shop if you're logged in, which means you can get the suite from scratch for only $225 (get Ozone advanced / Iris from PB, then MPS from JRR): https://blowout.jrrshop.com/izotope-music-productionsuite-upgrade-advanced

I've been considering pulling the trigger (currently have Ozone Advanced), but I'm not sure I'd actually end up using enough of it for the price to actually be a huge deal. Primarily interested in Vocal Synth, RX Standard and Melodyne Essential. Not sure I'd actually end up using Neutron and Nectar that much.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Splinter posted:

You can actually get the MPS 2.1 crossgrade for only $126 from JRR shop if you're logged in, which means you can get the suite from scratch for only $225 (get Ozone advanced / Iris from PB, then MPS from JRR): https://blowout.jrrshop.com/izotope-music-productionsuite-upgrade-advanced

I've been considering pulling the trigger (currently have Ozone Advanced), but I'm not sure I'd actually end up using enough of it for the price to actually be a huge deal. Primarily interested in Vocal Synth, RX Standard and Melodyne Essential. Not sure I'd actually end up using Neutron and Nectar that much.

Is this shop legit? They have the Cherry Audio Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Bundle (full version, not the upgrade) for $44.99 and that's hard to say no to.

*edit* Hell they have Ignite and Core upgrade for $21.99 each, so you save another buck that way.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 15, 2019

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, JRR shop is legit, tho the one time I ordered software from them they were pretty drat pokey about getting me a license key.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Anarch posted:

Is [JRRshop] legit?
Yes.

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah, JRR shop is legit, tho the one time I ordered software from them they were pretty drat pokey about getting me a license key.
Yep. My impression is it's a one-person operation, and his whole angle is taking just the very thinnest of margins on everything he resells. Depending on the product he sometimes has to individually request an activation key from the publisher before forwarding it to you, which is why the turnaround time is longer than from other places. But it's usually worth the wait, pricewise. You can buy hardware from him and it's equally slow; and also because I don't think he has an actual physical inventory. I bought some Waldorf synths from him and it seemed pretty clear he ordered them from his distributor after I ordered them from his site... but again I saved so much $ I didn't care.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
JRR is awesome and I'd recommend them to anyone

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Radiapathy posted:

Yes.

Yep. My impression is it's a one-person operation, and his whole angle is taking just the very thinnest of margins on everything he resells. Depending on the product he sometimes has to individually request an activation key from the publisher before forwarding it to you, which is why the turnaround time is longer than from other places. But it's usually worth the wait, pricewise. You can buy hardware from him and it's equally slow; and also because I don't think he has an actual physical inventory. I bought some Waldorf synths from him and it seemed pretty clear he ordered them from his distributor after I ordered them from his site... but again I saved so much $ I didn't care.

This is what my shop does for any of the brands we sell (we're not primarily a retailer). Admittedly we're more pro audio than synth stuff, but even then unless you have, like, Guitar Center or Sweetwater level of turnaround on inventory it's hard to cough up the outlay to have stock on a lot of audio gear, the margins just don't justify it. We drop ship poo poo all the time, but even then the turnaround is pretty long.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have to wonder how Detroit Modular manages it. They seem to have drat near everything in stock.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Thanks for the confirmation on JRR. I picked up the Modular Core and got my code instantly.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Why does VST DRM have to be such a pain in the rear end? I recently switched over from using a hackintoshed laptop to a desktop and whoops, I'm out of lifetime activations on my copy of Superior Drummer 3 even though I de-authorized it on the laptop before I wiped it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

i vomit kittens posted:

Why does VST DRM have to be such a pain in the rear end? I recently switched over from using a hackintoshed laptop to a desktop and whoops, I'm out of lifetime activations on my copy of Superior Drummer 3 even though I de-authorized it on the laptop before I wiped it.

I hate limited lifetime activations. poo poo pisses me off.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hate limited lifetime activations. poo poo pisses me off.

Seriously. It's one thing to have a limited number of simultaneous users, but to also have an outright limit on something I paid hundreds of dollars for is stupid as gently caress. I had SD on both partitions of my laptop (I did all of my work in Logic, but kept SD and my amp sims on Windows so I could gently caress around without having to reboot) and one hard drive failure apparently means I no longer have a right to my product. I e-mailed their support to ask them to reset my limit but they're only available Monday - Friday. I was looking forward to actually having time to sit down and learn Studio One this weekend, guess I'll have to do that without drums now.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Cherry Audio is giving the base version of Voltage Modular away for free for a limited time.

https://cherryaudio.com/news/2019-08-12/voltage-modular-year-one-anniversary-celebration

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015
I’m not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I’m hoping you can point me in the right direction because Googling has gotten me nowhere.

I am trying to set up a hybrid electric/acoustic drumset with triggered drums running into a module and from there into EZDrummer 2 on my Macbook. I have Reaper, EZDrummer, and a metal EZD expansion pack all installed. I would like to add the EZD VST to Reaper, but I cannot for the life of me find the actual VST file. I tried uninstalling EZDrummer to re-install it, but saw the following window that says the VST is in place. However, when I go to that folder it's empty. I can't find this VST via searching or by going to any related folders that I found while googling.
(~/Library/Application Support/EZdrummer, ~/Library/Application Support/Toontrack, etc)

So, as far as I can tell I don't have the VST anywhere, even though I have the products installed and can run EZDrummer as a standalone program. What am I missing here?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Did you try looking in Program Files/VstPlugins? AFAIK most plugins use that as the default directory for the VST version.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PosteriorChain posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I’m hoping you can point me in the right direction because Googling has gotten me nowhere.

I am trying to set up a hybrid electric/acoustic drumset with triggered drums running into a module and from there into EZDrummer 2 on my Macbook.

Anime Reference posted:

Did you try looking in Program Files/VstPlugins? AFAIK most plugins use that as the default directory for the VST version.

Unfortunately, there's not going to be a Program Files/VstPlugins folder on OS X.

Aside from contacting the makers of EZDrummer, I have no idea.... you're literally pointing towards it there, in the screenshot. I can't remember, is the component part for the AU version? If not, maybe try the AU version?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There should be a help > show plug-in path option if you start the standalone version.

Edit: is it common on Mac for vsts to get the .vst file extension? Because they're .dll everywhere else and I'd assume that line in the uninstaller screenshot is a folder name.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 21, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

There should be a help > show plug-in path option if you start the standalone version.

It's been a while since I checked, but I feel like Serum does this, even with the VST version (which admittedly wouldn't help here).

Serum :allears:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I use FLStudio on my Macbook, and a handful of 3rd party plugins. They all installed into either /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ or /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/ these are *NOT* the same location as ~/Library/ which is only local to your user account. You want to remove the tilde to find system-wide installs.

They all have .vst or .vst3 extentions.

FLStudio has it's own VST plugin folders of it's own, but I don't think any of my third party apps use them.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 21, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

2DCAT posted:

JRR is awesome and I'd recommend them to anyone

Yeah I just got a bunch of neat stuff there.

There's an entire pack of high-quality orchestral VSTs going for $20 right now.

https://blowout.jrrshop.com/sonivox-film-score-companion

This thing:

https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/film-score-companion

It's about 50GB of instruments -- everything you'd need to start playing around with film scoring / game scoring / ridiculous opera rock.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah I just got a bunch of neat stuff there.

There's an entire pack of high-quality orchestral VSTs going for $20 right now.

https://blowout.jrrshop.com/sonivox-film-score-companion

This thing:

https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/film-score-companion

It's about 50GB of instruments -- everything you'd need to start playing around with film scoring / game scoring / ridiculous opera rock.

I have not had great experiences with Sonivox products, both in terms of sound quality and stability. That $20 blowout thing could be awesome but if you're spending $249 for an orchestral suite you can do way better than that for the money. Heck, you could get a year's worth of an EastWest Composer Cloud subscription for that.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 21, 2019

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That Sonivox stuff is pretty much always on sale too, I believe. The individual orchestral modules (e.g. strings, woodwinds) are often only $5 a pop, and I think I've seen them for as low as $1 each (at least strings). So that pack isn't as great a deal as it may seem.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

I have not had great experiences with Sonivox products, both in terms of sound quality and stability. That $20 blowout thing could be awesome but if you're spending $249 for an orchestral suite you can do way better than that for the money. Heck, you could get a year's worth of an EastWest Composer Cloud subscription for that.

Thanks. Yeah I figure $20 is OK for dipping my toe in the water, and I'll see how things go.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I have an annoyingly specific question: so I've been using a free VST called DSK Darkness Theory 3 with Reaper. Whenever I close Reaper and reopen a project the tracks with that VST on them "reset" to the default settings that appear when you first load it up. Is there a way to fix that?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

deadking posted:

I have an annoyingly specific question: so I've been using a free VST called DSK Darkness Theory 3 with Reaper. Whenever I close Reaper and reopen a project the tracks with that VST on them "reset" to the default settings that appear when you first load it up. Is there a way to fix that?

It's either an issue with the plugin or with Reaper (or a combination of the two). It sounds like other people have experienced this before though:

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=133002

I'd try checking with Reaper support. They might be willing to help you troubleshoot.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This is free right now at plugin boutique, looks fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcFjqcM0R4

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Simone Poodoin posted:

This is free right now at plugin boutique, looks fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcFjqcM0R4

What's free? The youtube video? I see Voltage Modular on sale, but not free. ETA: It does look cool and fun, though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp simulator that would work well with a harmonica and bullet mic? I've seen a few free ones; would it be worth my time to download a bunch and compare them? I'm trying to have fun with this hobby, but I keep hitting decision paralysis at every turn.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

oh I thought I had posted the link to PB sorry about that

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/5594