Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

EverettLO posted:

For anyone needing more input on the Zweihander guy, he's the kind of guy who puts out a mini-supplement based on a Twitter meme within 24 hours.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/284979

Whether you feel this is good or bad will help clarify how you feel about him.

Lawl, already removed from DTRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

EverettLO posted:

For anyone needing more input on the Zweihander guy, he's the kind of guy who puts out a mini-supplement based on a Twitter meme within 24 hours.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/284979

Whether you feel this is good or bad will help clarify how you feel about him.
It's already gone, I assume it had to do with 30-50 hogs?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

neaden posted:

It's already gone, I assume it had to do with 30-50 hogs?

Yes, it was a 30-50 hogs encounter.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Unless it was very blatantly mocking the 13th Age authors in a mean-spirited way, why would DTRPG remove it? Unless Fox removed it himself? I don't think being a spicy memelord is a bannable offense for products.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Libertad! posted:

Unless it was very blatantly mocking the 13th Age authors in a mean-spirited way, why would DTRPG remove it? Unless Fox removed it himself? I don't think being a spicy memelord is a bannable offense for products.

one of the two comments i saw on the product while it was still up seemed to be under the impression it was mocking victims of mass shootings, so maybe dtrpg staff thought that too

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What does any of that have to do with 13th Age?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Fox removed it, because he now now believes the original tweet was a Nazi dogwhistle apparently.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

moths posted:

What does any of that have to do with 13th Age?

I believe it originated with this tweet.

The 30-50 feral hogs meme apparently has roots from someone questioning the need for assault weapons (which is itself not an actual technical term for firearms, but conjures the mental image of a fully automatic weapon). One of the people responded by saying that rural Americans may need to defend themselves from masses of wild animals overwhelming their property. The Wild Hogs meme could me intended to make fun of the Twitter user.

I found this Forbes article on the subject.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 6, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Huh. This all seems to have more to do with the absurdity of gun culture than mocking victims or designers.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

yeah the comedy comes from this guy saying that everyday he let's his kids out to play and within minutes they're beset by 30-50 wild hogs and he has to shoot all of them

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I don't really know what the Zweihander product could have spun on that to get yanked then.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

moths posted:

Yeah I don't really know what the Zweihander product could have spun on that to get yanked then.

As I mentioned above, Daniel Fox took it down. He believes the tweet is a Nazi dog whistle because 30+50 is 80 and 3+5 is 8, so 88.

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/432706683412255/posts/2894653487217550/

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 6, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thefakenews posted:

As I mentioned above, Daniel Fox took it down. He believes the tweet is a Nazi dog whistle because 30+50 is 80 and 3+5 is 8, so 88.

I think if you're at the point of using gematria to find the Hitler number you need to settle down.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The whole point of dogwhistles is to be subtle and be deniable. Who would ever say they have 30-50 feral hogs attacking their house seriously, unless it makes it easier to dogwhistle

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah the comedy comes from this guy saying that everyday he let's his kids out to play and within minutes they're beset by 30-50 wild hogs and he has to shoot all of them

You can't shoot that many hogs! They're feral! It's to shoot his kids.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

theironjef posted:

One needs crew-served weapons to fend off a platoon of hogs.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thefakenews posted:

yeah that seems like a real stretch to me

not least of all because it's twitter, nazis don't have to dogwhistle

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

alg posted:

The whole point of dogwhistles is to be subtle and be deniable. Who would ever say they have 30-50 feral hogs attacking their house seriously, unless it makes it easier to dogwhistle
The shitheads will claim this as a victory literally no matter what is done, if it occurs to them to look up from hissing and spitting and having despairgasms together to do so. Indeed it is very likely that at least a couple of shitheads, too cowardly to post, is reading this now and going "heh heh look at these libs, triggered much?"

Like I can even outline in my head what they'd probably say: "heh heh they didn't realize we meant hitler! and the pigs were minorities!" or alternately "heh heh they're saying the number they're saying the number." or "heh heh they're afraid of a number now, rofl owned, lol just lmao"

The answer is "who gives a poo poo." If people are actually shoving the Hitler number into things on the regular - the Invoke Prejudice card seems to have been an honest freak coincidence - then yes, but these people do not hide it if they are actually trying.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah the feral hogs thing is just transparently some guy trying to explain why it's actually vital for private citizens to have the firepower to blow away a small European country, and creating a truly unhinged hypothetical. That's all it is. When cash shitheads are loudly waving their numbers and the OK sign and so on, it's really obvious.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

God, I wish I could find the Bushman posts in TFR. He's a goon in Louisiana whose family raised rice. Feral hogs kept rampaging through the paddies and destroyed thousands and thousands of dollars of the crop, so Bushman went positively medieval on their piggy asses.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

God, I wish I could find the Bushman posts in TFR. He's a goon in Louisiana whose family raised rice. Feral hogs kept rampaging through the paddies and destroyed thousands and thousands of dollars of the crop, so Bushman went positively medieval on their piggy asses.

Yep. Flushing them with drones and then spearhunting pigs barefoot in the rice paddies. Dude knew what he was about.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

In publisher news,

https://twitter.com/DawnforgedCast/status/1158886290344910848

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
:catstare:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Who the gently caress are they and how can I make sure they never get any of my money?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Good lord what a clown.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

moths posted:

Who the gently caress are they and how can I make sure they never get any of my money?

They don't link to or talk about any products. I think they're "just" a semi-prominent (165k subs) TG Youtuber.

Their intro video on their Youtube page seems pretty friendly, so it's too bad about that I guess.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Protip if you're typing the word "negroid", really stop and think.

I'm doing it right now even just to mention how it's a bad idea.

loving gross.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-H0dDeG38

Dawnforgedcast was also the guy that made this video whining about how they weren't picked for a roll20 thing because they were five white dudes

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dawnforgedcast was also the guy that made this video whining about how they weren't picked for a roll20 thing because they were five white dudes

And he feels like he's a good enough source to discuss the racism inherent in putting on accents in DnD from different dialects and cultures. I don't want to give him the watch/vid time, but I'm gonna guess it's not a great piece, based on his twitter interaction above.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That Old Tree posted:

Their intro video on their Youtube page seems pretty friendly

gradenko_2000 posted:

Spiteski posted:

And he feels like he's a good enough source to discuss the racism inherent in putting on accents in DnD from different dialects and cultures. I don't want to give him the watch/vid time, but I'm gonna guess it's not a great piece, based on his twitter interaction above.

lmao well

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wow this boy about to break out his calipers for this one and explain to us about his characters and their haplogroups.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

IT KEEPS GOING:
https://twitter.com/DawnforgedCast/status/1158931550634799104

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/DawnforgedCast/status/1158933035644940288

"By using big scientific terms I am the winner in this social engagement."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Today I learned there's a direct correlation between someone using words like 'tis in regular typed speech and my deep instinctive dislike of them.

also the weird racism stuff.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Dude owns callipers.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Also the Gencon Exclusive LOTFP book boldly emblazoned with "Zak S had nothing to do with this book" has a screed about how punishing people monetarily for being rapists is actually a bad thing for you as you are denying yourself their "great art".

My friend was wandering the con and ended up by their booth, he's not a fan by any means, and overheard someone asking about where Zak was. The guy at the booth vehemently stated that they have not talked to Zak in 3 months and that they assume he's in California somewhere. LoFP is a publisher of many contrasts.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Given Hollywood/media accounting I expect it to show they lost a billion dollars.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/thr-esq/wil-wheaton-sues-geek-sundry-web-series-profits-1229358

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

My friend was wandering the con and ended up by their booth, he's not a fan by any means, and overheard someone asking about where Zak was. The guy at the booth vehemently stated that they have not talked to Zak in 3 months and that they assume he's in California somewhere. LoFP is a publisher of many contrasts.

They were still selling one of Zak S's books.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I assume Raggi is not the guy at the booth? I’d certainly steer clear of gencon if I were him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

They were still selling one of Zak S's books.

I imagine a good deal of the OSR community are "enlightened centrists" who pride themselves on not reading the news or taking "partisan stances", which they do all the time about chud adjacent or related stuff, and weren't aware or think it's just rumors.

It would be hard for them to sell any of their big books because they jammed him into things after a Red and Pleasant Land got accolades. Has anyone else also found it troubling, even more so now, that Zak latched on to a book that was written by an alleged pedophile that has similar, bad associations with it? I've flipped through it, I got it in a charity bundle years ago, and it just seemed like bullshit artsy nonsense that people take as profound but is actually just half baked ideas presented in a way that makes them seem good.

DalaranJ posted:

I assume Raggi is not the guy at the booth? I’d certainly steer clear of gencon if I were him.

My friend didn't say but I doubt he knows what Raggi looks like. I honestly didn't until last Gencon.