Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I should have mentioned this as it's a known feature of the TV. The set is masterful at reflecting ambient light. It's like a black hole compared to any other TV I've seen. It's in my living room which is conjoined with a kitchen, hallway and, behind where the TV sits, a conservatory; I can close off the hall and kitchen but not the conservatory, so I was keen on this ability. Supposedly this technology also means that the contrast ratio is inferior to last year's Q9FN, but having seen both I can't discern much of a difference (albeit they were at different locations with a fair gap in between). Black levels on this and the Q9FN are the best I have seen outside of OLED/plasma for sure.

Good to know, thanks for the update. Enjoy your purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
All this console warrioring and yet nobody's brought up that RDR2 does not actually use HDR for anything other than the GUI and just packages the SDR frame into the HDR signal. This is very weird because GTAV from the same developer had quite good HDR by all accounts.

Recent Sony first party titles are a better bet if you want a showcase game on a PS4 Pro. I'm partial to God of War, myself. Resident Evil 7 uses HDR in an unconventional but also quite impressive way.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Fedule posted:

All this console warrioring and yet nobody's brought up that RDR2 does not actually use HDR for anything other than the GUI and just packages the SDR frame into the HDR signal. This is very weird because GTAV from the same developer had quite good HDR by all accounts.

Recent Sony first party titles are a better bet if you want a showcase game on a PS4 Pro. I'm partial to God of War, myself. Resident Evil 7 uses HDR in an unconventional but also quite impressive way.

They did try to fix the HDR but didn't get all the way there (sun is 10% off peak brightness, blacks are not quite perfectly black). It's still a lot better now than the older HDR mode. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-red-dead-redemption-2-patch-109-adds-excellent-hdr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Assassins Creed Odyssey has really good use of HDR, except for the occasional 100% white loading screen which is actually painful to look at.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
OLED65C8PUA -- I'm trying to plan out how many inches there will be from the top of my entertainment center to the bottom of the actual display with the included stand. With my current TV, the sound bar is the perfect height to not obscure the display, and I want to know if the new one will be the same.

Is this a measure that is written anywhere?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Fedule posted:

Uncharted 4 is pretty good. The lightning storm at sea, and transitioning from a cave to outside in the daylight are pretty impressive.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

zfleeman posted:

OLED65C8PUA -- I'm trying to plan out how many inches there will be from the top of my entertainment center to the bottom of the actual display with the included stand. With my current TV, the sound bar is the perfect height to not obscure the display, and I want to know if the new one will be the same.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65C8PUA-oled-4k-tv down in dimensions/weight/upc the height of the TV increases by 2" from 32.7" to 34.7" after it is put on a stand so 2" is your rough maximum at the edges.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fedule posted:

This is very weird because GTAV from the same developer had quite good HDR by all accounts.

Pretty sure GTA5 doesn't support HDR.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

MagusDraco posted:

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65C8PUA-oled-4k-tv down in dimensions/weight/upc the height of the TV increases by 2" from 32.7" to 34.7" after it is put on a stand so 2" is your rough maximum at the edges.

I saw that, but the pictures are deceiving and are making me think it's more than 2", which doesn't make any sense.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Horizon Zero Dawn is gorgeous with HDR if you want to go with a Sony exclusive. Resident Evil 2 is really fantastic too, if you want something multi-platform.

Both fantastic games worth playing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

zfleeman posted:

I saw that, but the pictures are deceiving and are making me think it's more than 2", which doesn't make any sense.
It's not. LG TVs sit ridiculously low off the stand. You'll have to find another spot for your sound bar.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

zfleeman posted:

Once you get that OLED in your house, don't be surprised if you want a decent sound system to go with it. I personally found it weird to have a great panel next to a sound bar sound bar in our house, so we got a nice audio setup for it and it's a whole different animal.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 6, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

zfleeman posted:

Found a someone's response to a question about the TV stand dimensions on best buy of all places

quote:

Best answer: The measurements for the C8 stand are a little complicated.
The weight-bearing portion of the width of the stand in the front is about 35.5". The stand itself flares out and up from this 35.5" width to just under 40", but you don't need this extra width for support. The width of the stand in the back is about 16.5", and most of this is supporting the TV. The depth of the stand is just over 9". We are using the TV on a stand that is 44.5" wide, and there is plenty of extra space edge-to-edge. The stand elevates the bottom of the TV by about 2.125". We are having a riser made for the TV (just to raise it up a small amount to fully clear a sound bar), and we have ordered the riser to be 39" X 11".

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Horizon zero dawn, Spider-man and God of war look amazing with HDR.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Taima posted:

Once you get that OLED in your house, don't be surprised if you want a decent sound system to go with it. I personally found it weird to have a great panel next to a sound bar sound bar in our house, so we got a nice audio setup for it and it's a whole different animal.

:same: After getting my E8, I picked up an X1400H, KEF Q350s and an SVS PB-1000 within the next month.

Destiny 2 also looks fantastic in HDR on my PS4 Pro, as does Witcher 3

edit: not HDR, but Rez Infinite is a must-play in 4K

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Almost sounds like a joke answer but Tetris Effect has sweet HDR.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

For anyone looking for an LG OLED...

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/produc...11e9819d00d10a2

65" LG B8 for $1497 + $300 Dell rebate. God drat.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Jimbot posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is gorgeous with HDR if you want to go with a Sony exclusive. Resident Evil 2 is really fantastic too, if you want something multi-platform.

Both fantastic games worth playing.

Got Horizon Zero Dawn sitting in the cupboard under the tele waiting for me to finish RDR2. That or AC: Odyssey but probably the former. That was another I was waiting for the 4K tv to play.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

For anyone looking for an LG OLED...

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/produc...11e9819d00d10a2

65" LG B8 for $1497 + $300 Dell rebate. God drat.

Just to clarify, it's a $300 Dell gift card which expires in 90 days.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol that pointing out one console is better for actual 4k in the 4k tv thread is turned into "console warrioring"

It's also the one console that can play 4k Blu Rays but I guess we can't mention that either

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The 4K TV thread.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

American McGay posted:

The 4K TV thread.

Eh, close enough.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Did they ever get the Xbone to play Dolby Vision discs? If not that's kind of a dealbreaker.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah they patched that in last year.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The thing is I can't actually find support for that anywhere and I've looked for a while.

MS did patch in Dolby Vision to work on streaming content. They promised at that time to extend to discs at some point in the fall of last year, but confusingly I can't find any evidence that such a feature made it to market.

This could be because it's hard to search for (google has a bunch of articles about it being promised but none saying that it's working) and I'm just doing a bad job of it.

Until I learn otherwise I'll defer to you on it, in any case. The other weird thing is that the Xbone website specifically claims HDR10 support but not Dolby Vision support. I can't even find confirmation on their own website. It's annoying.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

zfleeman posted:

Its 2.25 inches. I just measured it on mine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I have what may be one of the last "dumb" TV panels, it's a 32" 720 from like 2009. I really like it but it's old and small (:quagmire:).

We live in an apartment with big windows so my first impulse (short-throw projector) isn't really an option and space is somewhat limited.

I know they don't really make dumb TVs in the consumer space anymore so: what is the least-awful option in the 32-43" range?

We're costco people so if they sell it it's even better.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 7, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Schadenboner posted:

So I have what may be one of the last "dumb" TV panels, it's a 32" 720 from like 2009. I really like it but it's old and small (:quagmire:).

We live in an apartment with big windows so my first impulse (short-throw projector) isn't really an option and space is somewhat limited.

I know they don't really make dumb TVs in the consumer space anymore so: what is the least-awful option in the 32-43" range?

We're costco people so if they sell it it's even better.

Smart TVs aren't awful.

However Costco has both a TCL 4 series and Vizio V series in the 45" size. Both are pretty super basic tvs but should get the job done unless you have specific viewing requirements.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BonoMan posted:

Smart TVs aren't awful.

However Costco has both a TCL 4 series and Vizio V series in the 45" size. Both are pretty super basic tvs but should get the job done unless you have specific viewing requirements.

So we have a Roku stuck in the dumb TV, the 43" TCL says it's "Roku TV" does that mean have a Roku on-board so I wouldn't need to replace ours? Same interface and so on?

Sorry, I'm really really not an AV guy. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the Roku TVs have built in Roku just like you are used to. The only caveat is sometimes they aren't quite as powerful, but there's never been a significant delta in features between RokuTVs and external Roku devices.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Schadenboner posted:

So we have a Roku stuck in the dumb TV, the 43" TCL says it's "Roku TV" does that mean have a Roku on-board so I wouldn't need to replace ours? Same interface and so on?

Sorry, I'm really really not an AV guy. :(

Yep! It's actually pretty nice. We had one for a while and I liked having the Roku built int.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My biggest complaint about Roku is that the remote has service buttons I can't remap. I don't have Sling or DirecTV Now, so it would be nice to set one of those to bring up my Playstation or UHD Player.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So this is an extraordinarily specific question but: the Roku remotes used to come with a little loop for a wrist strap (IIRC they were trying to expand into gaming which I think crashed and burned), do they still have those? I'd like to be able to attach a Tile to it so we don't lose it (or, rather, so that when we lose it we can locate it).

I'd check ours but: guess what happened to it? :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's easier to accept once you realize that Roku is an advertising platform, not a streaming platform, and those buttons are what makes their devices under $100.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Schadenboner posted:

So this is an extraordinarily specific question but: the Roku remotes used to come with a little loop for a wrist strap (IIRC they were trying to expand into gaming which I think crashed and burned), do they still have those? I'd like to be able to attach a Tile to it so we don't lose it (or, rather, so that when we lose it we can locate it).

I'd check ours but: guess what happened to it? :v:

No they don't. Duct tape it to a brick.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55R617 $438 shipped with code

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You could always just be an adult and have a basic strategy to keep track of your belongings, unless you have kids in which case you should just just buy a Harmony smart remote and keep that for the adults while your kids continually dunk your regular remotes in the toilet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As an adult in a pretty small house I still dont know where one of the joy cons from my switch has gone. Inside the dog is as good a guess as any (its been well over a year, dog is fine so its probably not that).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I nearly pulled the trigger on my first 4K HDR disc yesterday (Into the Spiderverse) but while I've watched some HDR content streaming on Prime Video or my TV's Netflix app, I haven't seen anything that's really BLOWN. ME. AWAY. yet. Is ItS it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

This is well beyond the scope of this thread but have you considered truly cleaning your house? I don't mean making it tidy to the human eye, I mean getting rid of all of your useless poo poo a la Marie Kondo.

A year ago we decided that our house full of stupid poo poo had to go, and decided individually if every. Single. Thing. in our house had a use and if we were just keeping it for sentimental value.

Since then we have hauled two full Uhauls of crap out of our house and into the landfill, and given away anything of value that we didn't need. Best loving choice we have made in a while.

I absolutely guarantee that you will find your joycon if you do that, and if you don't, something weird happened like it fell into a takeout box and you threw it out with the trash. In any case, you will know for sure if you have it or not. And the rad part is that because you got rid of your garbage, nothing will go missing again.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I nearly pulled the trigger on my first 4K HDR disc yesterday (Into the Spiderverse) but while I've watched some HDR content streaming on Prime Video or my TV's Netflix app, I haven't seen anything that's really BLOWN. ME. AWAY. yet. Is ItS it?

HDR isn't that much better on 4K disc, though my opinion may not be everyone's. I mean you watch Stranger Things Season 3, that HDR will be roughly as good as whatever else. So if you watch HDR content regularly and can't even bring yourself to buy a single 4K disc, I would just avoid it entirely because you don't really seem like the type to appreciate it. Which is totally chill, everyone is different and has differing priorities.

The virtues of 4K disc aren't really related to HDR specifically. You get better audio and better bitrate on basically everything. It's worth it if you care, but it sounds like you don't care. No problem with that.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 7, 2019