Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I would be overly happy to put together a custom blitz idea given just a theme item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just wanna put this at the top of a new page just to get some people to play it :shobon:

That said fired up Random Acts and ran through a handful of stages!

Crane Game Grove
By: Live Free

It's okay, really slow and I've seen levels like this several times at this point so I didn't care too much for it personally. Not much to say as it didn't really wow me but eh, whatcha gonna do.

Brick Breaker
By: End Chemtrails Now

Pretty flawed stage. When I started it I went ahead and got a shellmet from the bill blaster at the start. This caused me to smash the leaf ? block and force a death I couldn't avoid anymore. Next round I got the leaf first then the shellmet and just kinda easy street walked to the end with the star. It's a pretty old level at this point but would suggest trying to find a way for players to avoid situations like that because for a moment I thought it was some kind of weird "gotcha" level.

Snowy Slopes
By: lol 10 bux

Real cute stage! The climb back to the top is kind of a drag and the noteblock jumping at the end felt really really random, but I'm not offended by it and it was simple enough. Maybe include some more jumps at the end of the slopes or something so there's a bit more player input?

Boo's Cruise
By: Gnome Enthusiast

Level code doesn't work.

Pipes of the Desert
By: off-key indie nonsense

I hit it with a like it because I like pipe levels but man, note blocks are a pain in the rear end to mess with and having enemies jump out of the pipes with no warning killed me a number of times. One of my favorite things to do with stages like this is to assign a color to a pipe as to not surprise the player- a green pipe will always produce a enemy, blue a power up etc. Due to how Mario Maker works it stops a lot of cheap shots from green or blue pipes if I know they're dangerous in the first place.

Jungle Jinx
By: The Lobster

A real easy level but kind of expected with that 50% clear rate :v:. I enjoyed it though the part after the checkpoint flag with the bunch of mini-rooms felt kind of random. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be themed or not but eh. Also if you keep the fire flower that's right next to boom boom you can just stand in the hallway and shoot him to death and there's nothing he can do about it.
It's a good level though, I liked it even if it was simple!

Toybox Tower
By: Orange Crush Rush

I liked it for the most part, but the slow auto scroll was killer. Just wound up standing around a lot going "god I hope I don't die and have to redo this".
Few notes that the first fire flower you can get has a skip squeak right above it so if you jump up to grab it there's a good chance you'll hit him as he's off screen. There's a few goofy things like that. Also near the top of the stage one of the last things you have is a spike block with a clear pipe that spits out a goomba. For some reason it didn't shoot out a goomba for a LONG time to the point I started to panic and threw myself at the spikes just to wall jump up it. Stuff like that was kinda worrysome.

August Astray
By: Drinkfist

Reall nice put together stage, only thing I thought was a bummer was losing the key I got from Boom Boom so I didn't get the [mystery treasure] or whatever was behind the locked door.
Also while it wasn't bad for a dark stage there's one door you enter and it's completely black, and like 2 steps away is a spike floor. If I wasn't going at a snails pace it would of killed me and that felt kinda cheap- but really it's a minor nitpick. Really nice!

Parker Lewis Can't Lose Tribute
By: Al Borland Corp

Code was dead

The Bridge Is Out
By: Besesoth

This stage could use some work honestly. There's power ups one after another with no real chance to lose them all. Like there's a really dangerous fire flower that's tricky to get to and forces you to spin jump- but literally a single jump away is a cape. Then two more jumps away is a cave with a mushroom. I feel like things got a little reversed.
Also the invisble block with the vine felt super kaizo-ish, I jumped and tried to toss a shell into some enemies and bonked it leading to a death- and then the level just kind of ended abruptly?
I've played worse by far but could stand to be longer and more spaced out a bit.

Cold Kitty Mario
By: Macaluso

I know it's a Jam level for kids so I wasn't expecting it to be hard or anything. Kinda easy to get turned around in it and swiping blocks got kind of tedious but it's fine. I kinda wonder if its something kids would like or if it's too easy even for them.
Been watching my younger nephew that's 4-5 play Sonic Mania the other day and he couldn't beat the first stage but he was having fun dying a lot because "its cool to play with different characters and powers" (even if he doesn't understand them). Having a stage with almost no danger whatsoever makes me wonder.
But ah well it's fine.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Spellman posted:

Start on paper, sometimes I will sketch a cool set-up for a section at work, and stitch them together later in the day

You may look at your crappy sketches and think "how is this making the process easier", but Mario Maker's controls will slow you down just like any other digital creation tool, and you'll spend less time arguing with yourself about whether to place a muncher or a spiketrap

Can’t stress the paper sketch out enough. Really helps collect your thoughts and build it from there. Trials and incantations started that way and it’s the level I’m most pleased with design wise

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Some more Random Acts of Mario:

Mad Mario by Flying Zamboni
M9F-PN2-32H

I don't know if I understood the theme here? It seemed fine.

Frigid Manor by Control Volume
C7S-XFN-T7G

Other than my distaste for nighttime ghost house levels, this seems good. Suitably disorienting.

What A Rush! by Kirios
43P-3R1-QJG

I thought I was going to hate this based on the 3% clear rate, but I really liked it... for the first half. The second half just got too obnoxious with the Thwomp placement when it's right over a two-block platform. It's very hard to get past them safely, particularly when you have to do it quickly before the Boos get in your way, and you have to repeat a lot to have another go at it. I ended up quitting. Sorry.

Unleash the Madlads by absolutely anything
5H1-JXH-7LG

Quite liked this, good concept.

Floating Away, Fluffy and Free by Sam Faust
CWJ-778-PQG

I like the basic concept here, but the execution made me quit in frustration. The big problem is that once you start the ascent, if you get hit at all you lose your propeller and it becomes impossible to traverse the level. As far as I can tell there are no additional propeller hat dispensers along the route. I made it a good long while, but then I got hit, and the prospect of starting over from scratch was too unappealing to continue. The Boos on top of all the enemies add nothing in particular except more ways to lose your propeller and have to start over. I did not feel my time as a player was respected.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Fireball Hall - PTP-73C-B0H Okay so since it's been suggested I edited in a checkpoint flag and changed -NOTHING ELSE-. Enjoy.

Loved your art so I left you one on Booze Cruise. Didn't realize it was a goon when I looked at your maker profile, just by chance noticed someone played it above

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'd kinda like to see conditions factored into blitzes on occasion.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How long can you guys tolerate a level being without a checkpoint, on average? Assuming it isn't a super difficult one

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

How long can you guys tolerate a level being without a checkpoint, on average? Assuming it isn't a super difficult one

It depends.

If the stage is easy/straight forward and I died from doing something stupid I'll own up to it and replay it no matter how long it is in most cases.
If it's a normal stage that uses the full length of a zone it just depends on how fun I found it to play.

If the stage has some rear end in a top hat moves or it's a long winding time waster that uses every possible space given with a 500 second timer I'll probably quit out before even reaching the checkpoint.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I appreciate the feedback I've received on my levels recently; I can't really quote a bunch of posts elegantly because I'm on mobile. My computer had a boo-boo so Google is replacing it and I'll be without it for a few days. Going to make it hard to pimp my levels but I should be able to make my current magnum opus.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd say if I have to replay more than a minute's worth of content I start to get irritated and will only give it so many tries, especially if that time involves a slow section with a lot of waiting or backtracking or if I have to re-complete puzzles I've already solved.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 6, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

J-Spot posted:

I'd say if I have to replay more than a minute's worth of content I start to get irritated and will only give it so many tries, especially if that time involves a slow section with a lot of waiting or backtracking or if I have to re-complete puzzles I've already solved.

This is more or less how I feel, especially regarding slow sections with a lot of waiting. Also something to keep in mind is that unless you really know the creator's levels well, it's difficult or impossible to infer how long a level is going to be. So if you have a short level with a really difficult bit 90% of the way through, it may be obvious to you that the level doesn't "need" a checkpoint, but the player doesn't have the knowledge they're almost at the end to motivate them to push through that bit.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I can understand this. Honestly I feel like I can pump out normal levels that are fun and easy to play just by asking myself "how would Nintendo build a level" and acting off that, but anything more inspired I have to ask myself if I want to tell a story. Then I just kinda go from there formulating ideas on how I'd go about it.
This morning for example I had the level I just posted rolling in my head that I wanted a enemy to chase after Mario with various weapons. That was my first thought. Then I asked myself what would be a goofy theme and kind of just put things together from that alone.

Other then that gonna echo trying to do a custom blitz with limited options. You can easily overwhelm yourself with the whole library of enemies/objects so being restricted and maybe giving yourself a slight bit of leeway might help.
Also, don't feel the need to use the full length of a stage. I know plenty of folks (goons included) that enjoy smaller bite sized courses.

Spellman posted:

Start on paper, sometimes I will sketch a cool set-up for a section at work, and stitch them together later in the day

You may look at your crappy sketches and think "how is this making the process easier", but Mario Maker's controls will slow you down just like any other digital creation tool, and you'll spend less time arguing with yourself about whether to place a muncher or a spiketrap

Spellman posted:

make. more. tiny levels

OneMoreTime posted:

I'd really suggest doing a blitz level (whether it's the weekly or a personal one). A limited amount of objects and a strict time limit of 2 hours goes a long way to breaking indecision I've found.

thanks for the good feedback and ideas

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im making an airship level where the airships are hot air balloons and I picked this idea because the road to my last job had balloons flying around all the time. The yamamura lesson of just picking random real life crap and making a level around it is really good advice. Or just do the tried and true method of being inspired by a different video game

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Plan to do some Random acts of Mario after rehearsal tonight. Will post reviews of what I think when I get through them.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

OneMoreTime posted:

3. Boos Cruise
By: Gnome Enthusiast LDK-D9B-YLF

Yeah... you entered "D98", not "D9B." Which sucks because you had it right on here. ThisIsACoolGuy I'm assuming you might've done the same thing. I tried to scream about it in chat but I guess Twitch requires you to sign up for that.

Actual video of people playing my stages is......... rare. :(

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's some more levels. First one's pretty hard and mean, but the other two should be more normal Mario levels.

Vine Time: 32B-K7T-5WG
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1158897134923419648?s=20

Fluffy Spookums: 9KQ-24T-SSG
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1158897580215959552?s=20

Skeleton Crew's Night Shift: 196-3J9-8NF
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1158898068202254336?s=20

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Brick Breaker
By: End Chemtrails Now

Pretty flawed stage. When I started it I went ahead and got a shellmet from the bill blaster at the start. This caused me to smash the leaf ? block and force a death I couldn't avoid anymore. Next round I got the leaf first then the shellmet and just kinda easy street walked to the end with the star. It's a pretty old level at this point but would suggest trying to find a way for players to avoid situations like that because for a moment I thought it was some kind of weird "gotcha" level.
Thanks for the feedback. That was my first level, and I agree it turned out pretty rough. I decided not to do puzzle-oriented levels after that. I'm definitely more careful about avoiding unwinnable situations now.

In return I played A Tale of Love and Revenge by ThisIsACoolGuy. I really liked the story-telling elements in the level. It very clearly illustrated the situation. During the first two revenge segments, I think I cheesed them by outrunning the mole. Those note blocks in front of the piranha plants were pretty fiendish. For the boss fight, I think the intended solution was to ride a cannon up and hit the mole with a beetle shell. My first plan was to break the two blocks on the pipe using the shells instead. I managed to get one of them before dying. Either way, I wasn't able to get past that point after several attempts. The fight is pretty hectic with that many bullets flying around.

Good level though. I enjoyed it.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Yeah... you entered "D98", not "D9B." Which sucks because you had it right on here. ThisIsACoolGuy I'm assuming you might've done the same thing. I tried to scream about it in chat but I guess Twitch requires you to sign up for that.

My god that is embarrassing. I’ll play it tonight and you’ll be first on the list when I stream on Thursday

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

saltyslug posted:

Date Night by dizzywhip.
Much like the 11 people who played this before me, I don't know how to get by that spike gap with the shoe.

This comment got me all bothered about being one of those 11 people, so I revisited the level. To get through the big spike section you have to start the flutter animation as part of your sprint at the door. If you hit it just right, you'll have a burst of speed and enough momentum to make the slide.

Even knowing how to do it, it is still an aggravating trick to pull off. Naturally, I gave it a like since I beat it and want others to suffer with me.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1YzOVEbguw

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Thanks for the feedback. That was my first level, and I agree it turned out pretty rough. I decided not to do puzzle-oriented levels after that. I'm definitely more careful about avoiding unwinnable situations now.

In return I played A Tale of Love and Revenge by ThisIsACoolGuy. I really liked the story-telling elements in the level. It very clearly illustrated the situation. During the first two revenge segments, I think I cheesed them by outrunning the mole. Those note blocks in front of the piranha plants were pretty fiendish. For the boss fight, I think the intended solution was to ride a cannon up and hit the mole with a beetle shell. My first plan was to break the two blocks on the pipe using the shells instead. I managed to get one of them before dying. Either way, I wasn't able to get past that point after several attempts. The fight is pretty hectic with that many bullets flying around.

Good level though. I enjoyed it.

Hah, it's fine if you had difficulty with the boss. The solution is to actually just survive and a P-Switch will eventually reveal itself! (There's also a handful of periodic mushrooms that drop down to keep the player alive while the switch makes its way down).

I didn't even think about people trying to use the shell to break through the block so that's a new one for me to think about, I just wanted the beetles around to make players have to jump really :v:

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

I can give it another shot tonight, sure! But I'm pretty sure I double checked the spreadsheet a few times to make sure I wasn't messing up. You might want to look at it yourself to make sure.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Random acts of Mario levels reviewed!

Mist Mountain Marathon- by Thisisacoolguy
GG5-1KC-XNG

Dead link :thunk:
Spike Manor- by srypher
K2D-0M2-02H

This level had some infuriating bits to it, mainly near the end the one jump past the key door just constantly caused me to die despite being nowhere near a spike but it kept registering it as a hit. It’s just a basic rage level with a side of WHY?!?

3-4 Cloud Chaos- by Pixeltendo
760-47P-XVF

Was able to one shot it but it did have awesome ideas. The seesaw being utilized to such a degree was very nicely done! Got a like !

The last shack on the left- by E.G.G.S.
KMD-8TT-PYG

Fit the horror theme well and if it wasn’t for the checkpoint near the end I may have gotten a little salty. This is a level that I feel could have used some more hints on the last section because for a bit I was lost and hopelessly trying to hop up instead of what it required. Good work.

That’s enough for tonight wanted to do more but spike manor took up a lot of my play time. Thanks for the levels folks

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

This comment got me all bothered about being one of those 11 people, so I revisited the level. To get through the big spike section you have to start the flutter animation as part of your sprint at the door. If you hit it just right, you'll have a burst of speed and enough momentum to make the slide.

Even knowing how to do it, it is still an aggravating trick to pull off. Naturally, I gave it a like since I beat it and want others to suffer with me.

Whoops, sorry I missed your post saltyslug!

Yeah this level didn't work out very well :shobon: You actually shouldn't need to use momentum from jumping or do anything super precise to make it under any of the spikes. There's enough of a runway in each case that if you start far back enough, you can just run and let go of the d-pad right before you hit the spikes, and you should slide right under it. I had a lot of fun while I was building it, but it's not intuitive at all which makes it pretty frustrating if you don't know how it works going into the level. The arrow sign next to the first set of spikes was a halfhearted attempt at teaching the player to slide since I couldn't think of anything better, but I really should have put a hint in the level description. Thanks for the like regardless :D

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

dizzywhip posted:

Whoops, sorry I missed your post saltyslug!

Yeah this level didn't work out very well :shobon: You actually shouldn't need to use momentum from jumping or do anything super precise to make it under any of the spikes. There's enough of a runway in each case that if you start far back enough, you can just run and let go of the d-pad right before you hit the spikes, and you should slide right under it. I had a lot of fun while I was building it, but it's not intuitive at all which makes it pretty frustrating if you don't know how it works going into the level. The arrow sign next to the first set of spikes was a halfhearted attempt at teaching the player to slide since I couldn't think of anything better, but I really should have put a hint in the level description. Thanks for the like regardless :D

No problem! Aside from that one slide being difficult it was a pretty simple cute level. I think more people would have liked it if they had met their date.

e: Also, I'm super jealous that your fish farm got a comment from Feeney! I think that fish she drew is even an emote on her channel now.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 7, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spiffster posted:

Random acts of Mario levels reviewed!

Mist Mountain Marathon- by Thisisacoolguy
GG5-1KC-XNG

Dead link :thunk:

That's weird, I just put the code in that you put down and it worked for me. I even have it pulled up on the TV right now.

Wonder what's goin on with it (and it makes me question the few levels I couldn't play the other day)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's weird, I just put the code in that you put down and it worked for me. I even have it pulled up on the TV right now.

Wonder what's goin on with it (and it makes me question the few levels I couldn't play the other day)

Will try it again later tonight. I put it in twice and both times it came back dead. Could have been a mistype or a online issue though so I can try again

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spiffster posted:

Will try it again later tonight. I put it in twice and both times it came back dead. Could have been a mistype or a online issue though so I can try again

It's fine! It's made to be a level that shows up in online multiplayer so if any of them came up weird It's probably for the best it's that one :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there anything I can do in 3D World to have something roughly follow the X position of a player, like moles and poison mushrooms do in the other styles? A boo is all I can think of and it's too slow, plus it goes through walls and I don't want the player punished for standing still.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Argue posted:

Is there anything I can do in 3D World to have something roughly follow the X position of a player, like moles and poison mushrooms do in the other styles? A boo is all I can think of and it's too slow, plus it goes through walls and I don't want the player punished for standing still.

Cars will follow similar to moles, but will break if they run into too many things.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ugh, so it turns out troopas out of their cars behave exactly like I want, but it's kind of effort to contrive a way to force them to eject. It seems hopchops also follow you though, so all's good; I can work with that.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Finally got around to finish a couple levels I've been working on. I now have time to try out some of the other levels here.

Cloudboi's Key Quest (pardon my spelling)
P7N-KQP-NMF

Theme: SMB3, Clouds/Forest
Gimmick: Key collection (fairly straightforward)
Estimated Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Recurring Obstacles: Goombas, Hammer Bros., Thwomps

With this one I tried to make a level that could be completed without ever having to hold down the run button.
Novel concept, I know. Aside from a moving vine segment there shouldn't be too much here to break the flow.

---

Cloudboi's Course of no Remorse
P5H-MS1-13G

Theme: SMB3 Airship (Night)
Gimmick: Spring jumps, falling things in general
Estimated Difficulty: Medium-Hard
Recurring Obstacles: Cannons, Spikes, Thwomps

I went back to this one constantly, trying to improve the layout as much as possible.
Don't you think I found a bad case of asymmetric hell in the thumbnail after I had uploaded it :pwn:
Shouldn't be too noticeable in action though. Oh well...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

OneMoreTime posted:

10. The Question Authority
By: Besesoth HB3-W4X-3WG

I definitely could have done more here; I threw it together when I realized that I'd wanted to do last week's blitz but only had 45 minutes left until the deadline. But you worked out both the intended and the backup way to get past the wall. :)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The Bridge Is Out
By: Besesoth

This stage could use some work honestly. There's power ups one after another with no real chance to lose them all. Like there's a really dangerous fire flower that's tricky to get to and forces you to spin jump- but literally a single jump away is a cape. Then two more jumps away is a cave with a mushroom. I feel like things got a little reversed.
Also the invisble block with the vine felt super kaizo-ish, I jumped and tried to toss a shell into some enemies and bonked it leading to a death- and then the level just kind of ended abruptly?
I've played worse by far but could stand to be longer and more spaced out a bit.

Also a fair cop! IIRC it was the first level I made in MM2 and I keep meaning to revisit it.

Regarding this week's jam, submitted without comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlgGgo56zqw

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 7, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Besesoth posted:

Also a fair cop! IIRC it was the first level I made in MM2 and I keep meaning to revisit it.

I've done some reworking on this. It may not be any more satisfying, but at least it's not as abrupt (and it's a bit fairer in a couple places).

The Bridge Is Out
3NP-B3P-QHF

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've done some revisions on my magnum opus, and I think it's ready for the big times.

:siren: 5FK-SJK-Q7G Bring Me Pictures of Spider-Man :siren:

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 7, 2019

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

No problem! Aside from that one slide being difficult it was a pretty simple cute level. I think more people would have liked it if they had met their date.

e: Also, I'm super jealous that your fish farm got a comment from Feeney! I think that fish she drew is even an emote on her channel now.

Ahhh I didn't know that! That's so cool, thanks for pointing it out!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Avirosb posted:

Finally got around to finish a couple levels I've been working on. I now have time to try out some of the other levels here.

Cloudboi's Key Quest (pardon my spelling)
P7N-KQP-NMF

Theme: SMB3, Clouds/Forest
Gimmick: Key collection (fairly straightforward)
Estimated Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Recurring Obstacles: Goombas, Hammer Bros., Thwomps

With this one I tried to make a level that could be completed without ever having to hold down the run button.
Novel concept, I know. Aside from a moving vine segment there shouldn't be too much here to break the flow.

---

Cloudboi's Course of no Remorse
P5H-MS1-13G

Theme: SMB3 Airship (Night)
Gimmick: Spring jumps, falling things in general
Estimated Difficulty: Medium-Hard
Recurring Obstacles: Cannons, Spikes, Thwomps

I went back to this one constantly, trying to improve the layout as much as possible.
Don't you think I found a bad case of asymmetric hell in the thumbnail after I had uploaded it :pwn:
Shouldn't be too noticeable in action though. Oh well...

The first one was good, but if you're target difficulty was really easy or normal I think you may have missed the mark. It might manage a clear rate that puts it on the harder side of normal but the first section that has you jumping over big thwomps on a single-tile moving platform is probably going to be enough to drag it into expert if you get enough plays from randoms. The second half is quite a bit easier though.

I have mixed feelings on the second one. The challenges were pretty interesting but I got kind of annoyed with the stuff after the checkpoint.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/mayrowo/status/1156334127970492424

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's another straightforward Mario level for the pile

Migration Patterns: KFJ-MW0-J8G
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1159168205669064704?s=20

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Hey guys! I don't remember if I've posted my most recent levels. I know I haven't added them to the spreadsheet.

Title: Quiz: Spot the Difference
Code: 700-9Y7-HHF
Description: One of these things is not like the other!
Difficulty: Easy
Style/Theme: SMB3; Gimmick

Title: Splatterglup Swamp
Code: 3XH-Y12-61G
Description: This poisoned bog is full of baddies! Can you make it to the end?
Difficulty: Normal
Style/Theme: NSMBU; Traditional

Title: Snake Block Blues
Code: 9WC-Q86-LDF
Description: I got the slip-slidin' blue snake block blues.
Difficulty: Expert
Style/Theme: SMB; Themed

Spot the Difference is actually trending right now; I'm getting to the point where most of my levels trend. I don't know if I've created a positive feedback loop from previous trending levels or it's still mostly coming from sharing and playing levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

People trying to talk to each other in Mario Maker comments is one of my favorite things.