Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I mean, depends on the trade. You can't start from absolute zero but six hours of watching youtubes on the subject will get you far enough to get in the door.

I mean I got my current gig in skilled trades based of a half-remembered semester from high school that I mostly spent gambling lunch money on poker games, bullshitting my way through interviews, and claiming I'd been out of the game for several years because I'd been trying to climb the corporate ladder and decided against it and came back as to make it look like I was rusty, rather than just not knowing what I was doing. Then I just avoided the stuff where me not knowing could be dangerous, or made up past bad experiences I had had with it, or superstitions, and just asked other people on the crew to do it for me, and watched what they did. Everyone liked me because I brought extra coffee and donuts.

Two years on and I'm doin' great. I actually know how to do my job now.

Just lie, lie constantly. Your bosses are scum and they deserve worse than you being incompetent could ever give them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lmao that’s awesome

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Holy poo poo, good work.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bushiz posted:

I mean, depends on the trade. You can't start from absolute zero but six hours of watching youtubes on the subject will get you far enough to get in the door.

I mean I got my current gig in skilled trades based of a half-remembered semester from high school that I mostly spent gambling lunch money on poker games, bullshitting my way through interviews, and claiming I'd been out of the game for several years because I'd been trying to climb the corporate ladder and decided against it and came back as to make it look like I was rusty, rather than just not knowing what I was doing. Then I just avoided the stuff where me not knowing could be dangerous, or made up past bad experiences I had had with it, or superstitions, and just asked other people on the crew to do it for me, and watched what they did. Everyone liked me because I brought extra coffee and donuts.

Just lie, lie constantly. Your bosses are scum and they deserve worse than you being incompetent could ever give them.

heroism

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bushiz posted:

Love it

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Bushiz posted:

hell yeah

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Bushiz posted:

The Future Mrs. or Mr. SardonicTyrant?!!!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Bushiz posted:

Absolutely rules.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Being poor fucks with your brain. I'm the same way just constantly saving up money in case something bad happens. I think previous generations daydreamed about vacations, I do this thing where I calculate what would happen if my care broke down and my computer and phone broke and I lost my job all at the same time how long would it take me to recover and how long I could survive.

I did this until I realized my credit score would let me put myself in insane amounts of debt and stopped thinking about it because I could very easily put myself in a worse situation than filing for bankruptcy lol. Now I just daydream about one day having my own driveway/garage where Im allowed to work on my car myself

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Shouts to Orioles pitcher John Means who is apparently one of us

https://twitter.com/camdenchat/status/1158879595455815682?s=21

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bushiz posted:

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Suck my dick

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Future Mrs. or Mr. SardonicTyrant?!!!

They actually married you before, they've just been out of the game for a while.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Goon Danton posted:

They actually married you before, they've just been out of the game for a while.

lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Being poor fucks with your brain. I'm the same way just constantly saving up money in case something bad happens. I think previous generations daydreamed about vacations, I do this thing where I calculate what would happen if my care broke down and my computer and phone broke and I lost my job all at the same time how long would it take me to recover and how long I could survive.

Jesus 100% this. I work with people who think nothing of draining their bank account for a fancy vacation each year or spending 1/2 their income on a fancy apartment when much cheaper reasonable options exist. They act like I'm crazy when I ask them what their plan is if they have a crisis. For most of them its "ask parents for money"

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bushiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5j1wWY-qus

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

puve posted:

Suck my dick

i'm kinda rusty sorry, had some bad experiences might not do a good job

my man R. Guyovich can help tho

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156777286144335&set=a.106797129334&type=3&theater

Honestly this kind of charity is a sick joke and it's amazing people still seem to celebrate it, not realizing that it's just scraps from what they earn overall.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

puve posted:

Suck my dick

who was this even directed at

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pentyne posted:

or spending 1/2 their income on a fancy apartment when much cheaper reasonable options exist.

lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Seriously, this. Rent is so fuckin expensive that the only way for it not to cost half your income (or more) is to either get an apt in a lovely neighborhood, get roommates, or both. Heaven forbid someone wants to not have to worry about getting their poo poo stolen / broken, or wanting to live alone.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CodfishCartographer posted:

Seriously, this. Rent is so fuckin expensive that the only way for it not to cost half your income (or more) is to either get an apt in a lovely neighborhood, get roommates, or both. Heaven forbid someone wants to not have to worry about getting their poo poo stolen / broken, or wanting to live alone.
Just get a 1% job but live in a 10% apartment. Anyone could do it if they just put their minds to it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Goon Danton posted:

Wait, so they cheated on me with my younger past self? Well played.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Jesus 100% this. I work with people who think nothing of draining their bank account for a fancy vacation each year or spending 1/2 their income on a fancy apartment when much cheaper reasonable options exist. They act like I'm crazy when I ask them what their plan is if they have a crisis. For most of them its "ask parents for money"

Yeah, probably the biggest psychological difference I've noticed with upper and upper-middle class people is that they go through life never having to worry about material needs, which basically frees them to place most of their focus on seeking out and looking forward to fun things. Their unhappiness, to the extent that it even exists, is usually defined less by "the existence of bad things" and more by "the absence of things they want." It basically allows them to keep the mentality of a child for their entire life. (Obviously there are exceptions and a wealthy person can experience trauma unrelated to material needs, but this mindset is never possible in the first place for people who aren't well off.)

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Aug 7, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CodfishCartographer posted:

or, you know, living closer than an hour's drive to your job

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bushiz posted:

lie on your resume, go to networking things and lie there, too. We all know meritocracy is a lie, but you gotta think about what that means. Every job is structured to tolerate a completely worthless failson of the VP's old college roommate in that position. Use it to your advantage. Nobody checks credentials, so you can put whatever you want for college and education. References will occasionally get checked, so make up some really nice ones and get a friend to volunteer their number and pretend to be Lloyd Blankfein on a call. If you get the job you can probably pick up how to actually do it once you're there.

if i see an interesting job posting that I'm qualified to do roughly half of I'll instantly apply. Think about all the people you work with everyday who've been at their jobs for years (especially management) and still aren't qualified to do them and just be marginally better then they are.

Also my previous boss, who is now retired and I got along great with, is my go to reference. I would never ever list a current boss or co-worker as a reference.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or, you know, living closer than an hour's drive to your job

I love the people who don't get how can others be so stupid as to spend 50% of their income on rent and also happen to be the kinda people who don't get how can anyone suggest we need to drive cars less; clearly everyone HAS to drive cars all the time, how else do I get from the 'burbs to my jerb.

Teal has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Aug 7, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1158554558987001856

Susannah Koteen, owner of Lido Restaurant in Harlem, said she worries about the impact raising wages could have on her restaurant, where she employs nearly 40 people. She hasn’t had to lay off anyone, but the increase has forced her to cut back on shifts and be more stringent about overtime. She said she changes her menu offerings seasonally and raises prices more often since the wage boost.

“What it really forces you to do is make sure that nobody works more than 40 hours,” Ms. Koteen said. “You can only cut back so many people before the service starts to suffer.”

Ms. Koteen said she shelved plans to move her restaurant to a larger location. That would require her to hire more staff, and she isn’t willing to take the risk with the unpredictability of her business. “You would just have no choice but to cut people at the bottom,” she said.In June, the city’s unemployment rate was 4.3%, compared with the state’s unemployment rate of 4%, according to the New York State Department of Labor. Both numbers have remained relatively steady during the past year.

While Ms. McNally said she always has paid her employees at least $5 above minimum wage, January’s increase tightened that gap. “With raising minimum wage to living wage, it feels now like we’re at the bottom of the pay spectrum,” she said. “There’s absolutely no benefit to being a retail business in New York.”

:qq: :qq: :qq:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Ms. Koteen said she shelved plans to move her restaurant to a larger location. That would require her to hire more staff, and she isn’t willing to take the risk with the unpredictability of her business.

If only they hadn't raised the minimum wage, then a larger location wouldn't need more people working it! :confused:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's a shame that they were forced to fire all of those charity cases their companies were employing out of the goodness of their hearts

but since those businesses could run without them, i guess they had to go

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's a shame that they were forced to fire all of those charity cases their companies were employing out of the goodness of their hearts

but since those businesses could run without them, i guess they had to go
I mean, once automation gets good enough, why would the rich need the lower classes aside from abused pets?

Serf
May 5, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

I mean, once automation gets good enough, why would the rich need the lower classes aside from abused pets?

they won't. the future is going to be basically terminator except the world will be swampier and skynet will instead be a dipshit techlord

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Olmedic/status/1158606330380333058

found jeff bezos' alt

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I love that "live with less" just means "die" here

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Can’t wait to tell this guy to “live with less” when he’s asking me to fill his gruel bowl more at the gulag.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SardonicTyrant posted:

People live their lives by comparison, so they'll want to maintain a certain amount of poverty-riddled proles that they can feel superior to and demonstrate their benevolence by handing out nutrient cubes or something.

The other option is that once they've murdered all the unneeded poor, the lowest level of rich becomes to new poor to be ground out of existence, repeat until you just have Zuck and Bezos dueling each other in diamond-clad dreadnoughts.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/BillionMagazine/status/1157440242678423552

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ashcans posted:

People live their lives by comparison, so they'll want to maintain a certain amount of poverty-riddled proles that they can feel superior to and demonstrate their benevolence by handing out nutrient cubes or something.

The other option is that once they've murdered all the unneeded poor, the lowest level of rich becomes to new poor to be ground out of existence, repeat until you just have Zuck and Bezos dueling each other in diamond-clad dreadnoughts.
That's what I meant by abused pets. They'll still need servants that can feel pain.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

this tweet goes so loving hard lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ikanreed posted:

I love that "live with less" just means "die" here

*watching as someone literally collapses from overwork and dies outside my ceo office window* i guess they just didn't love their family enough