Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jim the Nickel posted:

Lmao, I know they're sequestered in their own weird corner of continuity, but I just finished reading all of X-Statix on Unlimited and they certainly make it seem like they're a huge worldwide phenomenon in those books at least.

I would love it if references to X-Statix would slowly leak into the larger Marvel universe the way Nextwave did.

Doop was a pretty major character in Wolverine and the X-Men. They aren't referenced a bunch but I'm pretty sure everything that happened in X-Statix is technically cannon, whereas NEXTWave wasn't until Ewing dragged it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Northstar was a champion skier and very famous in Canada; I can't recall off the top of my head if he was an Olympic medalist or not. He was (imo) pretty plainly based on Jean-Claude Killy, who was stupidly famous in the early '70s and entirely unknown today, but would have still been in the public consciousness when the character was created.

I want to say he was a gold medalist but had it revoked after he was outed as a mutant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rantmo posted:

I want to say he was a gold medalist but had it revoked after he was outed as a mutant.

His powerset would make it really easy to cheat at skiing, like even if he didn't, how would anyone know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

That sounds like a plot I dimly remember in Alpha Flight, yeah, but I can't find a source.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Skwirl posted:

His powerset would make it really easy to cheat at skiing, like even if he didn't, how would anyone know.

I think that was actually the story, he wasn't using his powers, he was actually that good a skier but no one believed him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I'm just going to double post instead of doing a third edit, but what other mutants would be famous in universe in a pop culture sense and not just because they saved and/or almost destroyed the planet?

Dazzler and Jumbo Carnation are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Longshot if Mojoverse shows ever got aired on Earth?

Fake edit: Can't believe I forgot Lila Cheney at first.

Hank McCoy would be a pretty high-tier scientist even without the X-Men, and he used to date Trish "Not Lois Lane" Tilby. I could swear he used to do a lot of time on talk shows and stuff like that as a rented mouth.

Warren Worthington III is an international playboy, idle rich kid, and handsome billionaire, so he would've been all over the society pages even before he died a couple of times and got weird.

Storm's still pretty well-known in Africa and was even before the various Wakanda retcons. Being married to T'Challa almost certainly would've pushed her over the edge into in-universe Kate Middleton territory were it not for the mutant thing.

Colossus's brother was a cosmonaut and he was an up-and-comer in the New York art scene for about ten minutes back at the end of Claremont's run, so he's very fame-adjacent.

Psylocke was a supermodel for a while, as noted.

Nightcrawler was apparently a famous trapeze artist for a while as a kid, then grew up and led Excalibur. He's probably a rock star in Germany these days.

Havok was an Avenger and made his "how about Alex?" TV speech that nobody liked.

Cannonball would probably have gotten his fifteen minutes out of that time he spent as Lila Cheney's hookup buddy.

Sunspot's in the same boat as Angel, but is way more media-savvy and outgoing. He ended up broke at the end of U.S. Avengers, but that's probably not going to last.

Karma inherited a billion-dollar company under extremely weird circumstances in Marjorie Liu's run on Astonishing and is an out lesbian of Vietnamese descent, so I'd expect her to be on a bunch of top-ten lists and magazine covers.

Monet is rich, telepathic, immodest Eurotrash and is only not famous because she doesn't want to be.

Emma Frost was an heiress, a millionaire, and a fixture of the New York idle rich before everyone found out she was a mutant.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hank would be his universe's Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Talking about how suicide and alcoholism kills many more people than sentinels do on any given day.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I was gonna say Bill Nye, where he's brought on as a general-purpose "scientist" regardless of his actual discipline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hank McCoy has killed more people than sentinels and cancer combined.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I was gonna say Bill Nye, where he's brought on as a general-purpose "scientist" regardless of his actual discipline.

Bill Nye is self aware. Hank McCoy hasn't been self aware since he blue himself.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Bill Nye is self aware. Hank McCoy hasn't been self aware since he blue himself.
Has there been any recent fallout on the time Hank McCoy claimed that he was gay, notionally to support LGBTQ people but was really because he was jealous over Trish breaking up with him? That is keeping in line with the terrible things beast does (and the first terrible thing I remember him doing).

Edit: actually original x-factor is a pretty gross concept and he was on that. I’ll blame that on cyclops making the most terrible decisions when jean came back.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skwirl posted:

Hank McCoy has killed more people than sentinels and cancer combined.

What was this again, details on his body count? I see he's in the X-Force comic for Dawn of X, hopefully he gets rehabilitated. Just about everybody seems to have gone off the villainous deep end at some point. Still, Magneto is one of the classier members of the team.

In general when I see characters like say Xavier mentioned to be terrible, I think let's take their crazy lives with a grain of salt. Lots of writers, lots of dramatic ideas, we've gotta give these excellent characters some leeway for past actions. Wild stuff happens out there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just know that Lifeguard is going to turn up again.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rick posted:

I just know that Lifeguard is going to turn up again.

She's in Hickman's cast! I can't find the image but she's there by name, it's the damndest thing in 2019.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
OK, I’ve got both of the Hickman #1s, and they’re awesome, but now I’m curious to catch up on some X-stuff I missed. The last X-books I read were around the whole “Marvel Now” relaunch. What’s worth reading? I’ve seen X-Men Red and Wolverine mentioned.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
If I'm enjoying the new Hickman series, should I bother jumping into other current X stuff, or will everything just be rebooted after House and Powers conclude?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Soul Glo posted:

If I'm enjoying the new Hickman series, should I bother jumping into other current X stuff, or will everything just be rebooted after House and Powers conclude?

I’d just stick with the Hickman stuff and see how everything shakes out. Current x-men has been pretty dire from everyone else’s description.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

House and Powers and setting up the foundation for all X-books moving forward so yeah I’d saw this is as clean of a jumping on point the X books are going to get.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
X-Men: Red was great all the way through. Luckily* for you, it's only eleven issues!

*:smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

What was this again, details on his body count? I see he's in the X-Force comic for Dawn of X, hopefully he gets rehabilitated. Just about everybody seems to have gone off the villainous deep end at some point. Still, Magneto is one of the classier members of the team.

In general when I see characters like say Xavier mentioned to be terrible, I think let's take their crazy lives with a grain of salt. Lots of writers, lots of dramatic ideas, we've gotta give these excellent characters some leeway for past actions. Wild stuff happens out there.

I'm specifically talking about his complicity in interdimensional genocide in Hickman's New Avengers. Which either puts his body count in the billions if you only count the planet featuring "not the Justice League" or the hundreds of trillions if you also include all the planets wiped out by Namor and Thanos after that using bombs he helped build.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

X-Men: Red was great all the way through. Luckily* for you, it's only eleven issues!

*:smith:

And an annual!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

rantmo posted:

She's in Hickman's cast! I can't find the image but she's there by name, it's the damndest thing in 2019.

That is cool. I am interested in seeing how that's approached since her power is such a drat "I win" button.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fritzler posted:

Has there been any recent fallout on the time Hank McCoy claimed that he was gay, notionally to support LGBTQ people but was really because he was jealous over Trish breaking up with him? That is keeping in line with the terrible things beast does (and the first terrible thing I remember him doing).

Edit: actually original x-factor is a pretty gross concept and he was on that. I’ll blame that on cyclops making the most terrible decisions when jean came back.
There was no intention to support LGBTQ people at all. His statement to Trish was entirely to hurt her, which he openly states. He treats it entirely as a joke.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Chill Penguin posted:

OK, I’ve got both of the Hickman #1s, and they’re awesome, but now I’m curious to catch up on some X-stuff I missed. The last X-books I read were around the whole “Marvel Now” relaunch. What’s worth reading? I’ve seen X-Men Red and Wolverine mentioned.

Mr. And Mrs. X is so very worth your time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

There was no intention to support LGBTQ people at all. His statement to Trish was entirely to hurt her, which he openly states. He treats it entirely as a joke.

Oh christ, rereading this scene in context today just gives me hives. :gonk:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, here's a question: which of Charles Xavier's alter-egos would be more interesting to bring back, Onslaught or Doctor Strangefate?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well alrighty then.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Secret Agent Moira was certainly something I did not expect to see, on top of everything else.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So are we meant to believe that the entire history of mutants we've seen in comics up to now was just a previous loop?

EDIT: Actually I guess not since its only Moira X that gave birth to Proteus

EDIT 2: Also if the Apocalypse war timeline didn't end then how do we have more Moiras after that?

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 7, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo Hickman. You are insane. I love it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, that was unexpected. I'm not entirely on board with this direction, but it's certainly ambitious and it's using the mythos well so I'm pleased.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
This is the first time in a long time that I've anticipated Wednesday releases to the point of keeping my ipad next to my bed on Tuesday nights so I can read the new issue before I get up on Wednesday mornings. I love whatever the gently caress is going on

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Holy poo poo Hickman. You are insane. I love it.

The writing is so good but the art is just loving perfect for the tone and story being told. I loved in particular Moira’s “I’m so over this” baby face right at the beginning. Moira’s 9th timeline (Apocalypse War) remaining open and on-going is an interesting idea and hints at something happening to her (time travel?) that led her to live past the shown timeline. Also the whole X/10 is going to be keep loving with me throughout this series I just know it. It’s Moira 10 in this case what with it being her 10th life.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

This is the first time in a long time that I've anticipated Wednesday releases to the point of keeping my ipad next to my bed on Tuesday nights so I can read the new issue before I get up on Wednesday mornings. I love whatever the gently caress is going on

I’ve been firmly a trade only guy for the last couple of years but I immediately subscribed to both House and Powers. Reading them in the morning while I drink coffee rules. Speaking of has there been any indication of the rest of the series getting Director’s Cut issues just the first House of X?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even more than Powers of X #1 I think this issue just completely blows the lid off of what we think of as X-Men continuity in the best way. It's such a crazy idea that's he's putting forth here and it really just totally upends the franchise as a whole. I mean he really didn't just come to play around here.

This was the first red highlighted issue on the reading list and now I'm even more excited to see what happens in the others.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Any guesses on what's up with Life 6?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Ugh. Even worse than I remembered. Thanks for the page.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

hcreight posted:

Any guesses on what's up with Life 6?

I was thinking that maybe Life 6 will turn out to be the timeline we know and love while what's happening in HoX is 4 lifetimes after that, very close to the known timeline but with whatever changes Moira and Xavier have planned.. Either that or something really out there. Whatever it is there's obv a reason it's been left out and it's going to be a Very Big Deal

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I was thinking that maybe Life 6 will turn out to be the timeline we know and love while what's happening in HoX is 4 lifetimes after that, very close to the known timeline but with whatever changes Moira and Xavier have planned.. Either that or something really out there. Whatever it is there's obv a reason it's been left out and it's going to be a Very Big Deal

Maybe Moira VI teams up with Sinister. I don't want to think about how her power would work with clones...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm still having a hard time believing that in one issue Hickman has made Moira MacTaggart probably the most important mutant in the Marvel Universe. And prior to this issue she wasn't even a mutant! So wild.