Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So, you guys have BigMarines now with Bigbolters and hover versions of the regular space marine vehicles... is there any reason at all for regular marines and their kit to be used at all? It seems kinda weird that GW would undermine their own iconic faction with Literally The Same Guys But Better In Every Way.

Buy more stuff duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So, you guys have BigMarines now with Bigbolters and hover versions of the regular space marine vehicles... is there any reason for regular marines and their kit to be used at all? It seems kinda weird that GW would undermine their own iconic faction with Literally The Same Guys But Better In Every Way.

Sure is weird how they continue to sell new versions of their best-selling models huh

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So, you guys have BigMarines now with Bigbolters and hover versions of the regular space marine vehicles... is there any reason at all for regular marines and their kit to be used at all? It seems kinda weird that GW would undermine their own iconic faction with Literally The Same Guys But Better In Every Way.

Small marines still do well. They have more tactical flexibility by being able to take special weapons in squads and can hug terrain better since they're smaller. They're the same stat line minus the extra wound.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just remember, every new primaris kit means plastic aspect warriors and Catachans that aren't from 1997 are further and further away. :v:

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

I used the upgrade sprue, but also tried to just give mine more life in general. I made one squad crusade veterans.

Here's a sarge with powersword & an intercessor getting ready for a knife fight.

Another angle of the Sergeant. You can also give them little tilt shields which you can adorn with campaign badges.

Gave this guy an auspex:

These look awesome. I like the more dynamic pose idea which I should be able to accomplish just due to my other intercessors being DI easy build and my veterans will be normal kit ones.

How does the Smurf veteran insignia differ? Don't white helmets signify vets?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know literally everything GW does is to make money, but since I haven't played since... 2005 it seemed a bit weird, like they were replacing the entire product line and concept. But I'm not very plugged in any more, I just check in every once in a while out of curiosity.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So, you guys have BigMarines now with Bigbolters and hover versions of the regular space marine vehicles... is there any reason for regular marines and their kit to be used at all? It seems kinda weird that GW would undermine their own iconic faction with Literally The Same Guys But Better In Every Way.

Tactical squads get heavy and special weapons, so a 5 man heavy weapon squad can camp objectives cheaply and 5 man special weapon squads, while less effective, can be cheap threats towards objectives in the middle. Devastators can also stack heavy weapons and draw fire, though in most cases they're outclassed by hellblasters. There's also a new janky combo with them and successor tactics to drop pod a 4 heavy flamer devastator squad with the +3" range successor tactic.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

OhDearGodNo posted:

I think I have figured out the best thing to use for command points.

In a similar vein, I tried finding tokens with the theme of faith for sisters of battle. Rosary beads roll away, tacky porcelain angels were too large, various "prayer" necklace pendants were too expensive (although I did particularly like the prayer hands or prayer scrolls).

Then I found this

Decent sisters of battle token faith tokens?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You can Drop Pod *eight* heavy flamers. Two squads fit in a pod. :allears:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VolatileSky posted:

In a similar vein, I tried finding tokens with the theme of faith for sisters of battle. Rosary beads roll away, tacky porcelain angels were too large, various "prayer" necklace pendants were too expensive (although I did particularly like the prayer hands or prayer scrolls).

Then I found this

No.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

VolatileSky posted:

Then I found this

Where's all my soul sistas?
Lemme hear ya'll flow, sistas
Hey sista, go sista, soul sista, flow sista
Hey sista, go sista, soul sista, go sista
He met Marmalade down in old Moulin Rouge

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

VolatileSky posted:

Then I found this

this is bad and you should feel bad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

VolatileSky posted:

Then I found this

Use a stack of communion wafers and eat one every time you spend a point.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Craft store inventories are like 30% fleur de lis stamps, just use those on poker chips or something.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

VolatileSky posted:

Is your Cannoness Pam Greir?

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I know literally everything GW does is to make money, but since I haven't played since... 2005 it seemed a bit weird, like they were replacing the entire product line and concept. But I'm not very plugged in any more, I just check in every once in a while out of curiosity.

I only got into tabletop 40k a little over a year ago, even if I've been aware of the setting since Dawn of War 1, but 40k overall seems to be in a soft, slow reboot after learning their lesson from Age of Sigmar's initial reaction. There was a big story update with the launch of 8th/Dark Imperium and the galaxy is becoming ever more fractured, primaris marines have stats that feel more like the depictions of space marines in the fluff, and box sets like Kill Team: Rogue Trader and Blackstone Fortress are highlighting the weirder aspects of the setting present in early fluff that lost representation on the tabletop as the game shifted from quasi-RPG with mostly metal models to a pure wargame with mostly plastic models.

I suspect in the long run that primaris marines will largely replace the standard space marines, but they still need to flesh out the primaris line quite a bit more and biggify (or create new) characters for all the chapters. They'll probably start slowly dropping the older marine kits from production during the process, starting with the least popular, but it's still years away from being a complete line. Even then I expect they'll maintain datasheets/rules for the old kits after they cease production. They'll just be stuck in a separate supplement or free pdf. They don't want to alienate the long-term fanbase and can justify it with the current direction of the setting making communication and travel ever more difficult. GW can just say old-style marine units or armies were lost in the warp for a few centuries, stuck in an area cut off from the imperium, or something similar. A decade from now primaris marines will just be space marines to new/younger players and they will be perplexed by the tiny power-squatting marines and treaded tanks that the older players use sometimes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

These look awesome. I like the more dynamic pose idea which I should be able to accomplish just due to my other intercessors being DI easy build and my veterans will be normal kit ones.

How does the Smurf veteran insignia differ? Don't white helmets signify vets?

My ultramarines were 1st company, so they all had white trim on their shoulder pads. I think white helmets are for veterans. A whole squad like that would look pretty cool, I think.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I’m planning my custom stalker bolter Intercessor squad where the bolt rifles are all done up with sniper scopes as veterans, because a) I gotta use those inverted Raven Guard decals on something and b) there’s no conceivable reason anyone would field stalker bolsters without using that veteran stratagem that turns them into snipers, but I haven’t actually painted them up yet.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Today's reveals were so-so, but obviously there's a ton behind the curtain.

I just can't wait to field 6 goddamn centurions and just start mowin poo poo down :berninator:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm glad they've brought back rules for making your own Successor Chapter, that's a fun inclusion. I hope they don't FAQ that +3" tactic to not apply to flamers since it might make bringing the Heavy Flamer on a Terminator Squad a decent pick.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

has anyone done an Apocalypse game at small scale yet for a faster 40k style game? 50 to 100 points per side? I'm trying to decide if I want to pic up Apocalypse or Warcry. My thought on Apocalypse is playing it the opposite of how it's intended could get me a game with my 40k army done in less than 3 hours. My last 40k game at 2k points per side took about 4 hours, and we had to rush near the end. This is mostly on my end, I'm a slow player.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Chainclaw posted:

has anyone done an Apocalypse game at small scale yet for a faster 40k style game? 50 to 100 points per side? I'm trying to decide if I want to pic up Apocalypse or Warcry. My thought on Apocalypse is playing it the opposite of how it's intended could get me a game with my 40k army done in less than 3 hours. My last 40k game at 2k points per side took about 4 hours, and we had to rush near the end. This is mostly on my end, I'm a slow player.

Guerrilla Minis did one on their YouTube channel.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Safety Factor posted:

Just remember, every new primaris kit means plastic aspect warriors and Catachans that aren't from 1997 are further and further away. :v:

my kingdom for a plastic howling banshee release

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to have to find one of those apocalypse marines boxes on the cheap and make my own chapter aren't I :negative:

I'd just make them space wolves but primaris gunline marines just don't gel themtically for me yet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chainclaw posted:

It would work. I think we played an 8 player game with 1000 points per player (we got lazy and didn't even bother figuring out PL) and the whole thing was done in a few hours, with only a few folks having learned the system.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I don't really mind the bigmarines but the Primaris MK. IV-ish helmet isn't as cool as the proper frowny face space marine helmet. The Vanguard antenna hats don't cut it either. I know the Primaris and standard marine heads are swappable but that's a loooooot of bits to grab.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me

Gunder posted:

Just realised how much money the poor Australians have to spend to get their GW models and other stuff. What a rip off. :australia:

^^^^^Salamanders remained at legion strength iirc

it's actually insane that i can buy a sealed box of custodes from a uk seller for ~$50 and the gw website in australia is asking for $98

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just want to take a moment to salute all the yellow marines painters out there, having just tried my luck on a Lamenter.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strobe posted:

:frogsiren: +3" range applies to Flamers out of deep strike :frogsiren:

great vulkan's lizard-raven!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I just want to take a moment to salute all the yellow marines painters out there, having just tried my luck on a Lamenter.

It's a slog and most of the army I play with is average at best. I bought an airbrush because unfortuantely for me, I love yellow.

But I'm getting better

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
I think I'm finally at the age where dad jokes have become appealing, I'm so sorry.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Mef989 posted:

Does anyone have any intercessors which they've painted to specifically be indominus crusade veterans? I'm about to build some Ultramarines Veterans and am looking for some inspiration. I got the MkIV Praetorian heads which I'll be putting on them as well as the upgrade sprue for should pads, but wondering what else I could do.

My veteran intercessors got white helmets. Isn't that correct for Ultramarines?

Edit:

Strobe posted:

You can Drop Pod *eight* heavy flamers. Two squads fit in a pod. :allears:

Heavy flamers aren't available to Devastator squads, though?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 7, 2019

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

correct

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
That means you won't be able to drop pod in 8 heavy flamers. 8 combi flamers, sure.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I recently found out about old school Rogue Trader Pisceans, aka Imperial Guard Fish People

Is there anyone that makes something that work work as a substitution?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

That means you won't be able to drop pod in 8 heavy flamers. 8 combi flamers, sure.

That's still pretty nasty. Would be a bit like the admech infiltrators dropping in and just dumping a fuckload of shots but a bit more random.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Blood Angels Devastators can. The ones that won't get this kind of bonus. :negative: I was so used to seeing Heavy Flamers on the heavy weapons list I didn't bother to check whether regular Space Marines could do it.

Best you can do is a Sternguard Veteran squad with 8 Combi-Flamers and 2 Heavy Flamers.

Which, to be entirely honest, is absolutely enough on its own.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wonder what joys Warhammer Community will bring us tomorrow.

Maybe psyker powers? Stratagems? Relics? Special characters?

The possibilities are endless!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Narrative preview. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder what joys Warhammer Community will bring us tomorrow.

Maybe psyker powers? Stratagems? Relics? Special characters?

The possibilities are endless!

Im hoping for stratagems personally. I think at the very least some strats will get reworked and the first founding specific ones will be mostly in the supplements (kind of like how they did black legion)