Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I explained why this is false tho in the part you curiously cut out of the post you quoted, care to rebut that or is your rebuttal "nuh uh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Hey, just spit balling here but how about we talk about loving awful yet unsurprising it is Trump's admin is gonna start up executions again, using Texas as a model?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Look, I just want to know if I'm going to get beheaded when I finish paying off my hypothetical mortgage, or if I should accept that I need to move back to Oklahoma to have a permanent residence. :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sundae posted:

Look, I just want to know if I'm going to get beheaded when I finish paying off my hypothetical mortgage, or if I should accept that I need to move back to Oklahoma to have a permanent residence. :v:

Goodluck paying it off before climate change makes it worthless.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I explained why this is false tho in the part you curiously cut out of the post you quoted, care to rebut that or is your rebuttal "nuh uh"

Your example is a bad one, there's an obvious counterexample: let's say I just bought a house for $100k. Then the price of houses drops to $50k due to whatever.

I could still sell my house and buy another, but I would be $50k poorer than if I hadn't bought a house in the first place. In that case I'd be able to buy 2 houses after the price fell.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Your example is a bad one, there's an obvious counterexample: let's say I just bought a house for $100k. Then the price of houses drops to $50k due to whatever.

I could still sell my house and buy another, but I would be $50k poorer than if I hadn't bought a house in the first place. In that case I'd be able to buy 2 houses after the price fell.

You mean like me during the Great Recession?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Papercut posted:

I doubt that's the way wealth is being calculated, just based on the median being positive at all. Most homeowners in CA probably have a much higher appraised value than their mortgage load, just because property appreciates so quickly here.

Actually I think this is how it's calculated (and is part of why about a large portion of Americans have negative wealth in those figures). I believe the amount owed for mortgages (and other loans) is just subtracted as a liability.

Sundae posted:

If you can afford a million dollar house it's probably best to just accept that you don't really have a place in discussions related to issues like wealth and inequality. It's basically like a white person walking into a conversation about racism and being like "what about the feelings of white people" (except even worse, because having wealth is a choice). And any world where a cap on wealth is created is also a world where there would be some sort of public (or adequately priced) housing option (which begs the question of why one would feel the need to contest such an idea to begin with). Regardless, the percent of people who literally have no choice but to live in million dollar homes is pretty negligible (if it exists at all; there are probably other options in most of those cases, even if one might need to commute a couple hours or move somewhere else and take a salary cut to a job that merely pays 5x the median wage instead of 6x, or whatever).

BrandorKP posted:

In most of our age range 20-40 it's pretty abnormal even for: educated, white, with middle class backgrounds in relatively high paying professions. Pre tax 110,000 a year was 90th percentile at 35 in 2017. At that rough income level I'd expect a chunk of people to hit it between 45 and 55. Depending on luck and location.

That's a good point; median/average figures are also distorted by older people having higher income/wealth. The median individual income of ~$31k is frequently cited, but if you're talking about millennials I believe the median is something like $25k (or even lower, I forget the exact figure). Most younger people with good paying jobs aren't aware of how truly unusual it is for someone in their 20s to make $70k or whatever (often because their educational and professional social circles consist of people with similar circumstances).

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

You mean like me during the Great Recession?

Yep. Don't worry, VitalSigns will be along to explain how you didn't actually lose anything.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ytlaya posted:

even if one might need to commute a couple hours

This isn't a reasonable demand to make of anyone and really fucks with your health and the environment.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Solkanar512 posted:

This isn't a reasonable demand to make of anyone and really fucks with your health and the environment.

Good job cutting the rest of the post out where he goes on to say "or accept making marginally less money" you disingenuous twit

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hello US News thread, please get your poo poo together, thanks in advance.

https://twitter.com/eoinhiggins_/status/1155112876719427591?s=21

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lightning Knight posted:

That's my reaction to your dumb lawsuit, too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If you've got half an hour, watch this video. If not, just see this part.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

But in a generalized correction the other houses in your city fell by the same amount. If you can sell your house and buy two more at the peak, then you can still sell your house and buy two more if your house and everyone else's falls in price by 50%

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 28, 2019

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm sure they've already raised a ton in donations for "legal fees".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

But in a generalized correction the other houses in your city fell by the same amount. If you can sell your house and buy two more at the peak, then you can still sell your house and buy two more if your house and everyone else's falls in price by 50%

What if I don't want more houses?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

What if I don't want more houses?

Sure if you have free housing somewhere so you can sell your overpriced home without having to turn around and pay insane housing prices for another place to live, then you're an investor and yeah you can liquidate your position and make gains.

That aint what we're talking about. We're talking about whether home prices rising all over town is a benefit to homeowners who need a place to live. It isn't, it just means more interest paid to a bank when you buy, higher and higher taxes while you're living there, and when you sell for a 'profit' you have to live somewhere and everywhere else in town is expensive now too.

It'd be much better to just have affordable housing so people can pay a reasonable amount for a place to live and have money to invest elsewhere rather than turning houses into a horrible retirement plan

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 28, 2019

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

If you can sell your house and buy two more at the peak

But if you can't, then you would be obviously poorer after the price drop then if you hadn't bought a house. Because your house dropped below the amount you had in it, you very clearly lost money.

If you could buy "only" one house at the peak and did nothing, you could buy two after the drop.

If bought at the peak you could sell and buy another house after the drop, but only one.

The person who buys before the drop loses money.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 28, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The person who buys before the drop loses money.

Ah another person who didn't read the exchange to understand what was being talked about before jumping in. I was responding to this:

MickeyFinn posted:

A lot of older people bought houses and used them as their primary savings method and I don't think they are going to be keen to trade the asset they think they have now for payments made to a bank that are long gone.

People who bought decades ago, paid off their house, and now have a ton of paper "gains" from the recent price explosion. And my point was that paper gains are meaningless if you can't practically realize them which most people can't.

You're talking about something else: and yes you're right young people who buy at the peak get hosed in a crash, and that's why our housing policy is insane and encouraging unsustainable runups in housing prices is bad. Those people would be massively better off if affordable housing policy lowered prices in their area and coupled it with a program to cram down their mortgages to the new more realistic home values. That would save them upwards of six or seven figures over their lifetime in principal, interest, and tax payments.

What is the alternative. "Buy high sell higher" is not a workable retirement plan for the nation. Housing prices cannot continue to rise faster than incomes forever because there are two sides to every transaction, and Gen Triple-Z is not going to be capable of buying your house 30 years from now for sixty four times what you paid for it.

There is no alternative to tackling home prices. Prices can't double every eight years forever. We either do it intentionally with policy that can compensate those with sunk costs in the current system, or it happens anyway in a chaotic and ruinous crash.

(Spoiler: the latter is what we will actually do because most people are too emotionally invested in the American Dream to ask questions like "where will my grandchildren get a mortgage for 150% of their income to fund my retirement" or "if I made money selling my house what does that mean for the price of the house I have to buy after", welcome to hellworld)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 28, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

or it happens anyway in a chaotic and ruinous crash.

I have some bad news for you about a little theory that goes by the name "crises of capitalism"

Ninja edits ahoy!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

This may have been said before he has an amazingly punchable face even without the hat.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

While this is actually interesting I think there are enough :words: to be said about housing that it could sustain its own thread.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California. This is horrible, that festival is always so much fun. My friends and I used to go to it every year.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

VikingofRock posted:

Mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California. This is horrible, that festival is always so much fun. My friends and I used to go to it every year.

That whole article and not one mention of the current situation/condition of the shooter(s). That's not generally a great sign.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Zipperelli. posted:

That whole article and not one mention of the current situation/condition of the shooter(s). That's not generally a great sign.

It’s not. The shooter is still active and hasn’t been apprehended.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It’s not. The shooter is still active and hasn’t been apprehended.

As of this morning he's been killed by police.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HootTheOwl posted:

As of this morning he's been killed by police.

But who knows what tomorrow will bring

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CNN says that police say his name was Santino William Legan, age 19, and used an AR15 style rifle fired seemingly at random.

Also, he (or someone posting under his name) apparently posted to Instagram about how his town is being overcrowded with "hordes of mestizos and silicon valley white twats"??? Same post referenced an anarchist anti Christian white supremacist book from the 1800s.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 29, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, he has Italian blood in him so the Nazis can claim he wasn't a white guy!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I can't confirm the source but people are saying he referenced this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_Is_Right

So this sick kid was one of the bad kinds of anarchists?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Ranter posted:

I can't confirm the source but people are saying he referenced this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_Is_Right

So this sick kid was one of the bad kinds of anarchists?

Might Is Right, or The Survival of the Fittest, is a book by pseudonymous author Ragnar Redbeard. First published in 1890, it heavily advocates egoist anarchism, amorality, consequentialism and psychological hedonism. In Might Is Right, Redbeard rejects conventional ideas of human and natural rights and argues that only strength or physical might can establish moral right (à la Callicles or Thrasymachus). The book also attacks Christianity and Democracy. Friedrich Nietzsche's theories of master–slave morality and herd mentality serve as a clear inspiration for Redbeard's book written contemporaneously.[1]

Individualist Anarchist historian James J. Martin called it "surely one of the most incendiary works ever to be published anywhere.

It was just 1800's Ayn Rand.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Might Is Right, or The Survival of the Fittest, is a book by pseudonymous author Ragnar Redbeard. First published in 1890, it heavily advocates egoist anarchism, amorality, consequentialism and psychological hedonism. In Might Is Right, Redbeard rejects conventional ideas of human and natural rights and argues that only strength or physical might can establish moral right (à la Callicles or Thrasymachus). The book also attacks Christianity and Democracy. Friedrich Nietzsche's theories of master–slave morality and herd mentality serve as a clear inspiration for Redbeard's book written contemporaneously.[1]

Individualist Anarchist historian James J. Martin called it "surely one of the most incendiary works ever to be published anywhere.

It was just 1800's Ayn Rand.

I wonder if Rand got her inspiration for Ragnar Danneskjöld from this guy.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The different revolutionary political romantic's (basically the fascists) response to thier broken myth of origin is going to look similiar even if the individuals are not referencing each other or connected.

They'll hate the prophetic.
They'll hate the rational.

Because those are the things that broke thier myth and threaten to break the incoherent and inconsistent replacement myth they attempt to create.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

CNN says that police say his name was Santino William Legan, age 19, and used an AR15 style rifle fired seemingly at random.

Also, he (or someone posting under his name) apparently posted to Instagram about how his town is being overcrowded with "hordes of mestizos and silicon valley white twats"??? Same post referenced an anarchist anti Christian white supremacist book from the 1800s.

Angry at the brown people and jealous of the wealthy white people.

Mom and dad must be a real treat.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/WashTimes/status/1158776449563840518?s=19

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

"No homo"

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That's a real bad headline/opening sentence combo

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

:a2m:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Argentina might default. Does this increase the possibility of a world wide recession?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-ratings/fitch-sp-downgrade-argentina-debt-as-default-risk-grows-idUSKCN1V61Y9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

This wouldn't be Argentina's first default or restructuring, Argentina's debt has been poorly rated for quite some time now, and Argentina doesn't have a lot of global influence. It's not likely that anything in Argentina would trigger anything global.