Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't read any ADP press anymore but 1982-199? it was regularly "the keyboard is going away - voice control is the way of the future that is NOW!" and anyone who actually does ADP just shrugged because keyboards are like 40000000 times faster than speaking.

(I think Americans use voice recognition nowadays to completely fail to do stuff like setting a timer or turning off lights? Dunno sounds extremely hosed up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

It also means you can't zone out when someone is telling a story about their day.

God this. I call my parents once a week and because they never do anything I get to listen to my dad tell me about some mundane thing for a good 20 minutes. Last week it was about all the dead animals the dog brought in.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jerry Cotton posted:

(I think Americans use voice recognition nowadays to completely fail to do stuff like setting a timer or turning off lights? Dunno sounds extremely hosed up.)
It's used a lot by people with disabilities, including RSS. Doctors dictate a lot of their notes still, and there are voice-recognition systems that are then edited by humans. No idea how well they work.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Shut up Meg posted:

Almost certainly apocryphal, but I still love it:

lmao

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's used a lot by people with disabilities, including RSS. Doctors dictate a lot of their notes still, and there are voice-recognition systems that are then edited by humans. No idea how well they work.

its p good for driving, I just hold down the handsfree button and it kicks it in to the ok google- "send text to bob" "okay" "hi bob I'm about thirty minutes out on I-70, see you soon", works well enough-

been thinking about having a speech-to-text running during my D&D games, though- accidentally did a couple weeks ago, and it mangled some words but it was enough to remind me exactly what was going on in that moment

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those people probably use something that works, not Siri or whatever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Peanut Butler posted:

its p good for driving, I just hold down the handsfree button and it kicks it in to the ok google- "send text to bob" "okay" "hi bob I'm about thirty minutes out on I-70, see you soon", works well enough-

drat. I have to try that. Is this an Android Auto thing?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I worked with someone that preferred speech dictation for texts and it was weird because you'd be there and just hear "Send to.... Tony. . . . . Hi Tony Comma Return Going to need an E T A on the delivery Period Space Call Me Back Comma Space Thanks."

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Peanut Butler posted:

brings me to another obsolete technology: microwave towers!

Microwaves are actually coming back into demand for High Frequency Trading. Because microwaves travel in (more or less) straight lines it's slightly faster to send data using them instead of fiber optic cables.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr.Radar posted:

Microwaves are actually coming back into demand for High Frequency Trading. Because microwaves travel in (more or less) straight lines it's slightly faster to send data using them instead of fiber optic cables.

Additionally, light travels half again as fast in air as it does in glass.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Additionally, light travels half again as fast in air as it does in glass.

I demand that we install ether tubes. Classical ether, not this bullshit anesthetic.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I miss when computer power switches weren't advisory.
If I may be so bold to amend your comment.

My TV regularly crashes.
(How you gently caress up something as simple as a screen that displays different channels is beyond me, but it does.) The power button won't kill the power to let me power-cycle it. I have to pull the goddamn plug. It's not like a switch is complicated technology - why not spend the 10c and include one.

stevewm posted:

Its funny how everyone thought in the future every call would be a video call. Then the future arrived. Video calls are possible from just about every cellphone. And a myriad of devices. Yet a good majority of calls are still done audio only.
I do see a lot of people Facetiming their friends. Not to my taste, but it is pretty common (often at the wheel of a car or on the pavement in front of me when I am in a hurry)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

at least my computer still has a hardware switch on the psu in the back

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a red switch at the back that says 110 240. Pull it and the computer will turn off.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Shut up Meg posted:

I do see a lot of people Facetiming their friends. Not to my taste, but it is pretty common (often at the wheel of a car or on the pavement in front of me when I am in a hurry)

I've had a change in part of my role so I've got done management responsibilities and suddenly I'm having conference calls. Video calls are actually pretty good for this and the software seems to have come along way from Skype and focuses on the speaker so you can tell if they're pissing about on their email.

I did find it really weird when one guy joined from his car. At least I knew he was looking at the road!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's a red switch at the back that says 110 240. Pull it and the computer will turn off.

Note: if it's a laptop, then after this procedure the computer will eventually turn off.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

PhotoKirk posted:

Young people will never know the satisfaction of slamming down a phone receiver so hard that the bells in the base jingle. The person you hung up on didn't know it, but it felt good.

Also, some of those phones rang loud enough to wake the dead.

My grandfather had not only a loud phone but a deafeningly loud repeater bell mounted elsewhere in the house. Every time a phone call came in it felt like house was being shaken off its foundations. After he died I was painting the hallway and while painting around the repeater bell with my head inches from it I was praying no-one called. I'm sure I'd have fallen off the ladder!

It wasn't until about five years later, completely out of the blue, my brain said "you should have just taken the phone off the hook". It had never even occurred to me at the time, possibly because I was already used to cordless landline phones.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat. I have to try that. Is this an Android Auto thing?

nah I don't think so, my car's from the Bush years, too old to have its own bluetooth anything- I just use a handsfree bluetooth speaker attached to my sun visor. It has a big button for answering calls, and holding the button down registers to my phone as holding the circle down, activating ok google

the texts do come out a lil garbled but the recipient can piece it together and usually can tell it's because I'm driving

Shut up Meg posted:

My TV regularly crashes.
(How you gently caress up something as simple as a screen that displays different channels is beyond me, but it does.) The power button won't kill the power to let me power-cycle it. I have to pull the goddamn plug. It's not like a switch is complicated technology - why not spend the 10c and include one.

lol yeah I held out on this for a while, I just would get 'dumb' TVs and hook it up to a lil Minix box that's essentially an android tablet with an HDMI-out instead of a screen, and a row of USB ports. The cat destroyed my last TV, so I went shopping for a new one and they were all either smart TVs, or huge expensive videophile equipment pieces. It's been okay except sometimes it loses connectivity to my WiFi, and the fix for that is to reboot the whole dang thing because TCL/Roku has seen it fit to not let me ssh into my own dang tv

e: opposite of a gripe for smart TVs:
one thing that rules is that USB ports on TVs can just play most .avis right offa stick, and aren't "FOR SERVICE ONLY" anymore

Peanut Butler has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Aug 6, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Peanut Butler posted:

so I went shopping for a new one and they were all either smart TVs, or huge expensive videophile equipment pieces.
I am really really pissed off about this. Especially since my TV is one of the brands (Vizio) that turned out to be spying on you. I want an @#$@#$@#$ monitor.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Note: if it's a laptop, then after this procedure the computer will eventually turn off.

:lol: at the idea of anyone using a lap-top computer in 2019 :newlol:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

If I may be so bold to amend your comment.

My TV regularly crashes.

My ancient old Vizio 32" LCD TV (Circa 2006?) crashes if you push Right arrow button on the remote OR front panel buttons more than 2 times consecutively. You have to push another key between any 2 consecutive right arrow button presses. If not it will completely turn off and you have to unplug it to make it come back on.

Makes getting around the menus/adjustments quite a challenge. Some parts of the menu are completely inaccessible because of this.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

stevewm posted:

My ancient old Vizio 32" LCD TV (Circa 2006?) crashes if you push Right arrow button on the remote OR front panel buttons more than 2 times consecutively. You have to push another key between any 2 consecutive right arrow button presses. If not it will completely turn off and you have to unplug it to make it come back on.

Makes getting around the menus/adjustments quite a challenge. Some parts of the menu are completely inaccessible because of this.

This is mind-blowing. Have you ever checked if there was a firmware upgrade that fixed it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If my just-before-Internet-connected-TVs Bravia ever breaks down, I'll just see about getting a big-rear end CRT for 25€.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

If my just-before-Internet-connected-TVs Bravia ever breaks down, I'll just see about getting a big-rear end CRT for 25€.

Better hurry

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Jerry Cotton posted:

Or just don't ever connect your TV to your network?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

At least some models will connect to any open network in range even if you don't ask them to.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Haha! Fooled you! You literally cannot pair the remote without hooking the TV up to wifi.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The "smart" ones are still reeeeaaaal slow compared to what I've got. Nothing to do with Internet, they're just poo poo in general :shrug:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

At least some models will connect to any open network in range even if you don't ask them to.

I was gonna say 'how is that a problem' but then I remembered that there are places where lots of people live near businesses

lol remember when wifi security wasn't on by default? I got lost in St Louis in the early 00s, no GPS, would have cost $$$ to use internet on my phone, so I just pulled up to a multi-story apartment block and hopped onto mapquest via one of the twenty or so unsecured wifi networks

internet went down and you can't pay it off for a week? no problem, the neighbor's SSID is just LINKSYS

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Unperson_47 posted:

This is mind-blowing. Have you ever checked if there was a firmware upgrade that fixed it?

Software upgrade?
Mine came with 3 apps for viewing local TV channels. One was outdated when I unboxed the TV. One ran for 6 months before being depreciated. One last an entire 18 months before it stopped working.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_5thEfEPHA

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I know someone who is in charge of customer feedback and customer service for an organization with a call center. They have all their calls recorded digitally and stuck into the database along with whatever notes the operator takes. The system does speech recognition over the call and includes a chat log in the database, and the chat log can be edited to correct errors. Later they run analytics which involve the chat logs, like today we want to figure out how many people called because they had trouble with <thing> and how well the problems were resolved, so search the chat logs for words like "trouble" near the word <thing>, look at the status of the case, then do some spot checks on the speech recognition (i.e. listen back to the recording of the call) to make sure that the search was picking up calls that really were about the thing you cared about.

I suppose we can look forward to hackers releasing these databases and people trawling through them for the funny bits.

quote:

Operator: Hi, Bad Dragon support, how can I help you?
Customer: Hi, this is Mike Pence. I'm trying to order the extra large horse cock dildo from your site but I'm getting an error.

Shut up Meg posted:

My TV regularly crashes.

Last time we bought a Sony TV, these were the extra features available in the deluxe model:
  • 3D
  • More smart features, or maybe the base model didn't have any smart features at all, I don't remember
  • Gorilla glass screen
  • A physical power switch

My wife insisted we buy the deluxe model because she didn't like how the stand looked on the base model :v: The physical power switch was really handy though given how lovely smart devices are.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

What always blows my mind is just how long it's taken for 9-1-1 to propagate.

Wikipedia posted:
AT&T made its first implementation in Huntington, Indiana, the hometown of J. Edward Roush, who sponsored the federal legislation to establish the nationwide system, on March 1, 1968. However, the spread of 9-1-1 implementation took many years. For example, although the City of Chicago, Illinois, had access to 9-1-1 service as early as 1976, the Illinois Commerce Commission did not authorize telephone service provider Illinois Bell to offer 9-1-1 to the Chicago suburbs until 1981.[12] Implementation was not immediate even then; by 1984, only eight Chicago suburbs in Cook County had 9-1-1 service.[13] As late as 1989, at least 28 Chicago suburbs still lacked 9-1-1 service; some of those towns had previously elected to decline 9-1-1 service due to costs and—according to emergency response personnel—failure to recognize the benefits of the 9-1-1 system.[14] By 1979, 26% of the U.S. population could dial the number. This increased to 50% by 1987 and 93% by 2000.[8] As of December 2017, 98.9% of the U.S. population has access.[15]

IIRC, we got it in 2006. That was the year we got broadband, which tied into phone line upgrades. I want to think 911 went with that, too.

Obviously, since there are still places without 911, we weren't bottom of the barrel, but it did take so long to happen that it had consequences. I lived in the sticks, where addresses were things like Route 3, Box 42 and such. The US Postal Service came through fine. UPS came through fine. FedEx did not.

FedEx insisted that rural route mailboxes were post office boxes in a post office. If you were lucky, customer service actually believed you and wrote down directions for the driver. 911 resulted in address changes for everybody on the rural routes, switching to road names instead of route numbers.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sure sure but what we want to see is him eating a durian on YouTube.

I'll see what I can do. Dude looks like White Jesus, this'll be fun.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

911 resulted in address changes for everybody on the rural routes, switching to road names instead of route numbers.

Back when I was a 911 dispatcher one of my tasks was to drive out to trailer parks and knock on doors so I could do test 911 calls to verify if their info was coming up correctly. Each trailer has a lot number and emergency services had a map they could refer to.

Whole lot of folks live in trailer parks who do not want someone from the authorities knocking on their door and asking to come inside.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dick Trauma posted:

Whole lot of folks live in trailer parks who do not want someone from the authorities knocking on their door and asking to come inside.

I've been to a couple of trailer parks in my day and they're like a strange bubble with individual cultures of their own.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A friend is buying a laptop for her son going off to college and just texted me that the guy at Staples said she doesn't need a SSD drive.

I'm not sure what's more wrong with that sentence. The fact she's buying a laptop at Staples or that they're trying to sell her a 1TB platter drive.

Her next question was 'Norton or McAfee?' I feel like she's trolling me.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I feel like she's trolling me.

shopping at retail is trolling herself, frankly

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

A friend is buying a laptop for her son going off to college and just texted me that the guy at Staples said she doesn't need a SSD drive.

I'm not sure what's more wrong with that sentence. The fact she's buying a laptop at Staples or that they're trying to sell her a 1TB platter drive.

If he's never used an SSD before he'll never notice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gasoline posted:

If he's never used an SSD before he'll never notice.

Yes, but an SSD allows him to throw it around and not care about the drive head crashing and him losing all his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It also means less power draw and a lighter device, which might be handy if you're lugging it everywhere.