Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

bull3964 posted:

But automatic climate control already does that by itself.

My car either blasts max heat or max A/C forever if I turn on the automatic climate control.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

bull3964 posted:

Automatic climate control is definitely a feature on all modern cars :rolleyes:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I guess I'm sorry that yours sucks? Never had an issue with either Subaru or on the VW with it. I just keep it set at 68 and about the only interaction I have with it is to either turn it on or off if I have the windows open.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Automatic climate control is definitely a feature on all modern cars :rolleyes:

It pretty much is when you are talking about cars that do away with physical controls. I really doubt the intersection of all glass cockpits and automatic climate control is less than total.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

Who even touches climate control in a modern car outside of setting the temp once and then forgetting it's there?

I want the interior temperature set differently based on what I'm wearing, how active I've been, what I'm eating while I'm driving, etc.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Automatic climate control sucks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know what cars you've been driving, but it normally blows.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Thermostatic controls in cars suck because, compared with a dwelling, there's so little thermal stability. The temperature I want air coming out of the vents will literally change based on whether the sun went behind a cloud or came out from behind a cloud, because that's the nature of being in a tiny enclosed space surrounded by a bunch of glass. It's not really fixable because even the placement of the relevant thermostat will affect when the system works and when it fails.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

I like how I honestly cant tell which model that is. Could be a X1 or could be a X5. With nothing for scale they are so samey

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I drove a Ford Expedition MAX like 2000 miles over the past week and can say it is enormous, comfortable, rides well, makes cool turbo noises when you step on it, and I averaged 23MPG which blew my loving mind for such a big stupid truck.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't do it well enough in my opinion.

As others have stated, you're usually not going to get the car to stabilize at a particular temperature. I aim the vents at myself to get the maximum effect which means I get colder or warmer faster than the car as a whole does, so the thermostat is ineffective. Maybe if I had a VW Phaeton and used the vent covers for radiant heat/cooling (I bet that worked REAL well) then it would be different, but I don't.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 6, 2019

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

new m3 looking rugged and good

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The systems I'm used to have a sun load sensor that compensated for that. It'll depend on how well they programmed the controls and the gains of the feed forward control vs feed back loop but it's theoretically possible to account for the changing conditions in the car.

Mein Porsches both have auto climate control and they deal with it really well, only niggle is that they don't select the foot vents enough in hot weather and I like to have chilly feet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I drove a Ford Expedition MAX like 2000 miles over the past week and can say it is enormous, comfortable, rides well, makes cool turbo noises when you step on it, and I averaged 23MPG which blew my loving mind for such a big stupid truck.

i get 23mpg average in my gti :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My wife is incapable of letting automatic AC do it's proper job. She's an idiot. So are many of you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My wife is incapable of letting automatic AC do it's proper job. She's an idiot. So are many of you.

What's that thing with Skinner where everybody else is wrong

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I love doing my climate control manually and I love that other posters wife

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I drove my V8 Challenger 2,800 miles last week and somehow managed 26mpg, and that's with flooring it on pretty much every ramp I could. It's also emormous and rides well, though no turbo noises. And hitting 'random' on a USB drive resets the list every time you start the car, so out of like 1800 songs it would try to play the same one several times instead of each one once, which was kind of silly.

The automatic climate control worked good enough, too, though my car was reading 113° in Texas and it was struggling to cool the car down, to be honest.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The real burning climate control question is why there are no longer those crotch blaster vent things under the steering wheel

Why?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So you pay extra for ventilated seats.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wonderllama posted:

I love doing my climate control manually and I love that other posters wife

Yes.

The old Land Cruisers always have direct crotch vents and they are great

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Yes.

The old Land Cruisers always have direct crotch vents and they are great

This is how I want all cars to operate

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

I guess I'm sorry that yours sucks? Never had an issue with either Subaru or on the VW with it.

I can see that on the Subaru maybe but the auto climate control on every VW I've ever driven has been absolutely awful

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Auto climate on Subarus are loving terrible especially in a hellscape

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

prom candy posted:

Oh so there's still physical buttons for climate down below? Maybe that's not so bad then, at least it's not any worse than my Civic. A game I like to play is "how long do I have to take my eyes off the road to switch from CarPlay to FM Radio and then change the station to one of my presets?" (the answer is "so long that I feel like someone should be regulating this out of existence")

Yeah, I seriously doubt they'd put a second touchscreen in the Golf because of the cost.

FWIW no action in a car should require you to take your eyes off the road for more than two seconds, according to NHTSA guidelines.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bull3964 posted:

Who even touches climate control in a modern car outside of setting the temp once and then forgetting it's there?

Me, constantly. If it gets cloudy the interior temperature of the car will drop correspondingly, so I don't need the AC blowing as cold.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Bajaha posted:

Mein Porsches both have auto climate control and they deal with it really well, only niggle is that they don't select the foot vents enough in hot weather and I like to have chilly feet.
The only car I've owned where I've been content to let the auto climate control do its thing has been mein Porsche :saddowns:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I don't use auto climate either for the same reason I turn the blower off every time I park:

I don't like to start my car up and immediately get blasted by either frigid or 200 degree hell air.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Previa_fun posted:

I don't use auto climate either for the same reason I turn the blower off every time I park:

I don't like to start my car up and immediately get blasted by either frigid or 200 degree hell air.

That's also not a thing that happens with any auto climate controls I've used. In the winter, the fans don't start coming on until the car has come up to temp and then ramp up. In the summer, it slowly ramps the fans up over the the first 20 seconds or so.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That's also not a thing that happens with any auto climate controls I've used. In the winter, the fans don't start coming on until the car has come up to temp and then ramp up. In the summer, it slowly ramps the fans up over the the first 20 seconds or so.

My '06 WRX wanted to correct the cabin temperature immediately and all at once, but every car I've bought this decade has behaved the way you describe.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That grill is so small they could put another one of the same size beneath it.

So it’s not an X7.

Really they should just scale them all perfectly so they do look the same.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My '06 WRX wanted to correct the cabin temperature immediately and all at once, but every car I've bought this decade has behaved the way you describe.

The only vehicles I drive on a regular basis are 2017 Subaru Foresters and they still do this. Otherwise, I stand corrected.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My 2011 WRX absolutely behaved the way I described and so does my 2015 BRZ.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
So the 2020 Kia Forte GT looks almost identical to the Si on in terms of HP/torque and it's over $2k cheaper, unless you want a manual, which jacks the price up $600 (lol I guess they know their market). I wonder how it'll drive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Problem is no LSD. It looks very GTI inspired interior wise, which is loving awesome (imo)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I saw an X2 on my dog walk today and i was surprised how much I liked the outside. I hate everything it represents, but styling wise pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

I saw an X2 on my dog walk today and i was surprised how much I liked the outside. I hate everything it represents, but styling wise pretty good.

the roundel on the back quarter panel is so atrocious

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

And hitting 'random' on a USB drive resets the list every time you start the car, so out of like 1800 songs it would try to play the same one several times instead of each one once, which was kind of silly.

This is what my xB did and it annoyed the hell out of me. On long runs it would also play just half of a huge playlist, completely ignoring the other half. Also if I wanted files played in order I had to number them, and even then it would take awhile for it to recognize the order and play poo poo out of order, then magically fix itself fifteen minutes later and play in order :wtc:

And it wasn't even a Scion made head unit, Pioneer made them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is what my xB did and it annoyed the hell out of me. On long runs it would also play just half of a huge playlist, completely ignoring the other half. Also if I wanted files played in order I had to number them, and even then it would take awhile for it to recognize the order and play poo poo out of order, then magically fix itself fifteen minutes later and play in order :wtc:

And it wasn't even a Scion made head unit, Pioneer made them!

There was a Bang & Olufsen music player called the Beosound 3200 which was a 2003 music system which played CDs and had an internal hard drive. You chucked a CD in and in real time it'd add it to the hard drive in one of 4 user sections, up to 99 CDs in each. Legend has it that one customer over the course of several months put together a spreadsheet of what the random function was playing and how often compared to what the hard drive contained. He sent it along to B&O along with a note saying he was disappointed with what it was playing and that it wasn't actually random. Due to this one man's work the algorithm was re-written completely so it was truly random rather than somewhat. :v: