Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

FuzzySlippers posted:

They don't show the crosshair during flight like Freelancer/HotDS/Everspace so I hope it's actually close to their control style (I didn't listen to audio).

The crosshair is usually visible because your mouse cursor instantly changes position to match the mouse movement and then the ship responds to reach it. One of the reasons those games feel so good to fly with mouse is because rather than give the ship straight yaw/pitch based on mouse move delta they use the crosshair position to calculate a move position and then calculate yaw/pitch/roll based on that. It's a subtle difference, but it's why you don't have to move the mouse so much to fly (mouse flying in X-wing/Tie Fighter was crazy) and it feels more accurate.

edit: No wait my bad. Looking at it again they are doing like Everspace but more subtle. The cursor shows up when it's close to the center of the screen but they just do an arrow when it's further.

The big difference between Freelancer and other primarily mouse-driven games like that is that the mouse isn't just for controlling your movement, it also acts as the crosshair for your guns. It certainly makes it feel easier to use the mouse, but it's real bad for gameplay. The skill level in terms of hitting a target goes WAY down. Hitting something in Privateer or TIE fighter is satisfying, because lining up the shot was all you - hitting someone in Freelancer is like eating through a bar of hitpoints in an MMO, because all you gotta do is put your mouse cursor over them (or the lead indicator).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Brian Rubin posted:

Of course, it'll remain up on YouTube at the very least. Do people not keep up their videos afterwards when streaming?

Hey man as an aside, I'm really sorry about your cat. I lost mine in May so I can fully empathise and sympathise :glomp:

(I tried commenting on the article where you mentioned it but it would never go through)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Freelancer was an adventure game

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Freelancer's faction system was no more advanced than Privateer's, I'm not sure what distinction you're drawing there. It's the same friend/enemy/neutral, killing respective ships from respective fashions raised or lowered rep, hitting certain reputation levels got you things.

freelancer just offered more things at different rep levels than Privateer, but the system was the exact same.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I can't talk about Privateer, but in Rebel Galaxy you had exactly four factions where your reputation matters - Lawful police/miners/traders, one of the pirates and the Merchant's and Mercenary's Guilds, and I'm not sure if the latter two even had random ships flying through the systems. Plus permanently neutral stations that don't care about reputation at all. From what it looks like, RGO isn't any different, with maybe a bit more enemy variety.

Freelancer had about 50 different factions that all had their own bases and interrelated allies and enemies, each faction and each base has a history, with dozens of rumors telling you its backstory, and the systems are all hand-crafted and have their own unique visuals and atmosphere.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Hannibal Rex posted:

I can't talk about Privateer, but in Rebel Galaxy you had exactly four factions where your reputation matters - Lawful police/miners/traders, one of the pirates and the Merchant's and Mercenary's Guilds, and I'm not sure if the latter two even had random ships flying through the systems. Plus permanently neutral stations that don't care about reputation at all. From what it looks like, RGO isn't any different, with maybe a bit more enemy variety.

Freelancer had about 50 different factions that all had their own bases and interrelated allies and enemies, each faction and each base has a history, with dozens of rumors telling you its backstory, and the systems are all hand-crafted and have their own unique visuals and atmosphere.

Freelancer also had more than 5 people making it...

But RGO is more Privateer, less Freelancer.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Brian Rubin posted:

It's still processing as I write this, but here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9STrDNnNJtw

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the stream!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hannibal Rex posted:

Freelancer had about 50 different factions

okay, I get what you're after. larger scale with more lore and you liked that.

Still, I think factions in Freelancer look bigger and more varied on the surface, but there was no difference between, say, Liberty Police and Liberty Military in terms of rep so that number drops pretty hard if you apply the same grouping you did with RG. With a few exceptions, it can boil down to "regional authorities/corps, regional pirates, regional independents" and the couple global factions, The Order and Nomads. it's a little more complex than that, but it's nowhere close to 50 factions where rep matters.

also there was definitely a huge amount of procgen or copy/paste involved in Freelancer too, stations included.

we don't run this station but we have an arrangement with the people who do

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 3, 2019

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Honestly this game always looked to be more like FTL than Freelancer anyway

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Are we talking about Freelancer the game as it was published, or Freelancer the game with a dedicated community that kept it going with online servers and mods that made the fairly thin faction system matter? If the latter, then yes Freelancer was great and RGO's world & faction systems are not going to approach it in terms of depth or replayability.

But if we are talking about Freelancer, the game that came out in 2003, then someone has some serious nostalgia going on because the factions and stuff mattered about as much as they do in RG. Freelancer had more of them and they had different spaceships with unique art styles and stuff... But after you played through the SP storyline there really wasn't that much point to all of them.

Go figure, a Chris Roberts Joint was filled with a whole bunch of poo poo that was supposed to be deep and immersive, but didn't end up doing anything, because the head of the company was an Ideas Guy.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Dodoman posted:

Hey man as an aside, I'm really sorry about your cat. I lost mine in May so I can fully empathise and sympathise :glomp:

(I tried commenting on the article where you mentioned it but it would never go through)

Ohhh thank you so much! What happened when you tried to leave a comment?

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Pennfalath posted:

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the stream!

Thank you for watching!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'll never forget the days on a modded Freelancer server where I was flying in a Minbari cruiser using Shadow beam weapons someone else went to an Outcast system to acquire, all the while fighting Star Destroyers and Liberty heavy cruisers (the ones with that huge axial cannon) and I think someone had one of the Stargate space ships in there, it was basically every possible franchise they could throw in

and then the poor new guy in his Jedi Starfighter flying around hoping to scrape up enough cash to fly one of the capital ships

but - that was all mods. Release 1.0 Freelancer was a lot of surface level flash without a lot of mechanical complexity to back it up. I don't even think the economy was reactive to any player input, it was all fixed prices? maybe?

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 4, 2019

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'm really hoping RGO ends up with the same vibrant mod scene Freelancer did.

I think chances are pretty good considering we're getting a full dev kit down the line, and that all the files are plain text.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Brian Rubin posted:

Ohhh thank you so much! What happened when you tried to leave a comment?

After I filled out the captcha it acted as if it was posting the message, bit upon a refresh it wouldn't appear.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Dodoman posted:

After I filled out the captcha it acted as if it was posting the message, bit upon a refresh it wouldn't appear.

That's very odd l. I'll look in the spam comments. Would you mind trying again please? I'd love to test this out. Thank you.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

I'll never forget the days on a modded Freelancer server where I was flying in a Minbari cruiser using Shadow beam weapons someone else went to an Outcast system to acquire, all the while fighting Star Destroyers and Liberty heavy cruisers (the ones with that huge axial cannon) and I think someone had one of the Stargate space ships in there, it was basically every possible franchise they could throw in

and then the poor new guy in his Jedi Starfighter flying around hoping to scrape up enough cash to fly one of the capital ships

but - that was all mods. Release 1.0 Freelancer was a lot of surface level flash without a lot of mechanical complexity to back it up. I don't even think the economy was reactive to any player input, it was all fixed prices? maybe?

Yea, all the prices were fixed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Someone remind me of the release date? I know it's soon, but I can't find it on the site or the store.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Someone remind me of the release date? I know it's soon, but I can't find it on the site or the store.

8/13

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Brian, maybe you can help me with this.

Otherwise, it's a warning to all: don't accidently sell mission critical weapons.

I have a review copy and am stuck. O. gave me a special weapon in the (side) mission Warning Shot, and I accidently sold it to pay for some repairs. Is there anyway to get it back? Restarting the mission and speaking to O again gives me the dialogue, but not the weapon. Trying to do the mission without the weapon means the ship will tell me to install the weapon first.
It's a weapon for the ordinance slot (I think), and it is not in my inventory anymore. The shops in the stations also do not have it anymore.
Anything I can do apart from restarting my game?

e: Got help on the Discord from Travis himself, who is a truly awesome developer. The weapon can be gotten again later so I can still complete the quest!

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 6, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Have they said if freelancer will be in VR at any point?

That'd be kinda amazing.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Any bonuses for pre-ordering?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psion posted:

I remember that the capital ships had enough health and shields that you could largely ignore the damage from flying too close to the sun, and the hitboxes for both were large enough that you could ram into it

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

dogstile posted:

Have they said if freelancer will be in VR at any point?

That'd be kinda amazing.

It's unlikely, the person whose job it'd be to code it in gets really sick from VR and isn't interested. He's indicated it wouldn't be easy for people to mod in either, unfortunately.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How would VR games even work with EGS? Can you use the Oculus/SteamVR runtimes by themselves?

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

FuzzySlippers posted:

How would VR games even work with EGS? Can you use the Oculus/SteamVR runtimes by themselves?

You can use the VR runtimes without being forced to that launcher. Tetris on EGS just has launch using Steamvr or Oculus as cog options.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mischievous Mink posted:

It's unlikely, the person whose job it'd be to code it in gets really sick from VR and isn't interested. He's indicated it wouldn't be easy for people to mod in either, unfortunately.

That's a shame but I can relate, if I don't play in VR for a while to acclimatise myself it does the same for me.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If you want to see some more gameplay cohhcarnage is currently playing in twitch!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I wanna fuckin play

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KirbyKhan posted:

I wanna fuckin play

Gotta get my space twang on.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

chaosapiant posted:

Roberts Space Industries?

Repetitive stress injury, in this case I used to use a pipette when I was in biological research - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecmMl-VsTo for an example. That constant pressing down thing, especially with all the older pipette devices before they went more ergonomic-friendly that had tough springs that you had to push against, took a bad toll on my thumbs since I did it constantly. You can practically hear my thumb joints click when I flex them, and wiggling around thumb sticks causes the base of my thumbs to hurt pretty quickly. And any control where I have to press the stick in is right out, though thankfully not many important inputs use that. So modern console controllers are very hard to do any sort of coordination with, and my hands give up the ghost quickly even years out of lab work. Lots of good games I just can't play sadly since most consoles would be an exercise in pain, though I've been a PC gamer for a long time so it hasn't been utterly devastating. I am comforted this one does look like it'll work without quite well, thanks for all the reassuring videos on that front!

Psion posted:

okay, I get what you're after. larger scale with more lore and you liked that.

Still, I think factions in Freelancer look bigger and more varied on the surface, but there was no difference between, say, Liberty Police and Liberty Military in terms of rep so that number drops pretty hard if you apply the same grouping you did with RG. With a few exceptions, it can boil down to "regional authorities/corps, regional pirates, regional independents" and the couple global factions, The Order and Nomads. it's a little more complex than that, but it's nowhere close to 50 factions where rep matters.

also there was definitely a huge amount of procgen or copy/paste involved in Freelancer too, stations included.

we don't run this station but we have an arrangement with the people who do

Yeah, variety was NOT the spice of life in Freelancer, though given the sheer volume of stuff in the game it would have been an impossible nightmare getting enough variation to not notice repetition. As is I appreciate they did put enough work into at least faking a vibrant world around you that felt like it did not specially care about you, particularly all the radio chatter buzzing in the background of ships doing their own thing (until you suddenly hear "Engaging Freelancer Alpha-1-1" and poo poo suddenly got REAL interesting). Rebel Galaxy and Outlaw both seem to pull that same vibe, which I appreciate; you're not an intergalactic hero but one of a bunch of folks working in space.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Background space chatter is so cool! I'm sad we don't see it implemented very often. It definitely adds to the atmosphere. To me random NASA mission control style low business like murmur sells the idea of a large living universe better than dynamic prices or whatever

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MadDogMike posted:

Repetitive stress injury, in this case I used to use a pipette when I was in biological research - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecmMl-VsTo for an example. That constant pressing down thing, especially with all the older pipette devices before they went more ergonomic-friendly that had tough springs that you had to push against, took a bad toll on my thumbs since I did it constantly. You can practically hear my thumb joints click when I flex them, and wiggling around thumb sticks causes the base of my thumbs to hurt pretty quickly. And any control where I have to press the stick in is right out, though thankfully not many important inputs use that. So modern console controllers are very hard to do any sort of coordination with, and my hands give up the ghost quickly even years out of lab work. Lots of good games I just can't play sadly since most consoles would be an exercise in pain, though I've been a PC gamer for a long time so it hasn't been utterly devastating. I am comforted this one does look like it'll work without quite well, thanks for all the reassuring videos on that front!

Yeah, variety was NOT the spice of life in Freelancer, though given the sheer volume of stuff in the game it would have been an impossible nightmare getting enough variation to not notice repetition. As is I appreciate they did put enough work into at least faking a vibrant world around you that felt like it did not specially care about you, particularly all the radio chatter buzzing in the background of ships doing their own thing (until you suddenly hear "Engaging Freelancer Alpha-1-1" and poo poo suddenly got REAL interesting). Rebel Galaxy and Outlaw both seem to pull that same vibe, which I appreciate; you're not an intergalactic hero but one of a bunch of folks working in space.

You might look up something like the Xbox Elite controller, its possible to adjust a lot of a physical buttons on the controller, and you can place triggers on the back to replace existing buttons. Not sure if that will help all your issues on controllers though. They are spendy though.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

More space games need Freelancer's environment design.

I mean I get why you would keep space all realistic and subdued with the occasional nebula in the background (though I like Outlaws bright blue stars) but:

Really sold "SPACE CAN BE FRIGGIN WEIRD HUH!?"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

You might look up something like the Xbox Elite controller, its possible to adjust a lot of a physical buttons on the controller, and you can place triggers on the back to replace existing buttons. Not sure if that will help all your issues on controllers though. They are spendy though.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/xbox-adaptive-controller

might be a bit of a stretch for your particular problem, but you can connect a mouse/keyboard through it (as well as a whole host of other devices, including pretty much all PnP usb controllers). It was made to be super adaptable and specifically for people with accessibility issues - we got one for my old room mate because his left arm ends at the wrist and we needed something where he could hit all the buttons on a single hand.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Warad posted:

More space games need Freelancer's environment design.

I mean I get why you would keep space all realistic and subdued with the occasional nebula in the background (though I like Outlaws bright blue stars) but:

Really sold "SPACE CAN BE FRIGGIN WEIRD HUH!?"

I'm on the other team, and like my nebulae rare and thus more spectacular. Blackness (and bleakness) of space is cool, and the occasional splash of colour makes everything better.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Background space chatter is so cool! I'm sad we don't see it implemented very often. It definitely adds to the atmosphere. To me random NASA mission control style low business like murmur sells the idea of a large living universe better than dynamic prices or whatever

Space Pirates and Zombies had some good radio chatter though there weren't that many messages so it got a bit repetitive. "The other day I boarded a derelict and there was poo poo growing all over the walls, so I got back on my ship and got the hell out of there."

Ideally there needs to be a small, say 1% chance or lower, for "out of the ordinary" transmissions, something like people transmitting on Guard or loving up and getting told to "call the tower after you dock." And you could change the tone between "core" and "backwater" systems, get out in the sticks and you'll hear people with poorly-maintained radios, somebody offering to sell bootleg movies and stun guns or traffic control chatting with pilots they know and "local characters" needling each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS8kPPK_rYY

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SPAZ is like the gold standard for NPC radio chatter in general, it has the best line in the form of "The hull has been breached and the SCIENCE IS LEAKING OUT :byoscience:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
GB did their quick look thing, but at this point I wasn't that interested. I want to play the game and not watch it. Then Evil Ways started playing and :allears: