Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pookel posted:

Write it up now, save it to post when you're able.

Alternately, adopt the "deep background" voice and talk about incidents that happened without saying how you're connected to any of them.

Thanks^ I promise I'm not trying to tease. Writing about this is one of my life goals, no poo poo. But not having context and details would lessen the impact of what I say SO much. Gotta wait. I discarded some papers I had, notes, 7 years ago. I regret that very much but still remember enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
one of my grandmother's friends is a christian scientist, what's frustrating is that she's 98 years old and incredibly healthy so you just cannot argue with her about it

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I hope the Jehovah’s Witness are the next to die out like this. They’re not as extreme, but my hospital catered to them by offering “bloodless medicine”.

Basically hormone shots, vitamins and iron tablets. Maybe some banking of your own blood (apparently that’s cool). Maybe OK if you are getting planned surgery.

It’s not ok for someone who is actively exsanguinating in the middle of the night. I felt bad for this one family, they kept asking when the doctor who ran the bloodless medicine program was coming by (they never did) and what blood substitutes we were going to use (there aren’t any).

In the meantime representatives from the church show up before the patient and family. They try to interfere with medical care and whisper the church’s poison and lies into the ears of the family.

“If you do not sign this consent for blood your loved one will die and it will be your fault. Sign for blood or sign their death warrant. Your choice, you have to live with it.”

I can’t think of a way to make it clearer than that, and they always choose to murder their family member.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

nankeen posted:

one of my grandmother's friends is a christian scientist, what's frustrating is that she's 98 years old and incredibly healthy so you just cannot argue with her about it

Yeah, but what a lame loving life

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I remember reading an interview in Hit Parader magazine with James Hetfield where he went into a little about being raised a strict Christian Scientist and how much he hated a lot of the poo poo he had to go through like having to step out of class as a kid when it came time to cover subjects like Health and how much he got teased over it.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ElGroucho posted:

Yeah, but what a lame loving life

She is way the exception and if she kept her health this long this is one self satisfied deluded woman, we should all be so lucky.

What happens is since as a rule they take no drugs of any kind - no smoking, alcohol etc. and the human body is pretty resilient they will be usually be quite healthy ----Until they aren't.

This is a religion of the white educated wealthy (and more women then men) for the most part so they eat nourishing food and are decently active.

Then once illness/disease strikes its a slow death or quick, depending on the ailment. But before that often they are lame, or deaf or going blind, we. It's also mostly old women now, men die younger.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember reading an interview in Hit Parader magazine with James Hetfield where he went into a little about being raised a strict Christian Scientist and how much he hated a lot of the poo poo he had to go through like having to step out of class as a kid when it came time to cover subjects like Health and how much he got teased over it.

I became very ill at 20. I was living with my first boyfriend, super innocent and naive, quit my job and laid there sick for weeks in this apartment of nice stoner alcoholic guys. When I realized I couldn't hardly eat I went to a hospital. They poo poo and kept asking me all these weird questions, I only vaguely recall my stay there.

Turns out I had Rubella. Thanks mom. Those religious exemptions from vaccinations almost killed me.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Busket Posket posted:

NdT is getting his shows back after the heat has died down from his multiple sexual harassment charges, so he’s back to full strength and going straight to Dr. Manhattan

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928?s=20

The 500 deaths due to medical error is also a massive overstimation.
https://www.sciencealert.com/no-500-people-don-t-die-in-the-us-every-two-days-due-to-medical-error

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

nankeen posted:

Even if this whole "pretend you're not sick and you won't be sick" thing worked, how is that supposed to work for babies?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

Even if this whole "pretend you're not sick and you won't be sick" thing worked, how is that supposed to work for babies?

It doesn't have to work, you can replenish your baby supply in only a few months.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dead babies automatically go to heaven. It's a feature, not a bug.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pookel posted:

Your parents completely ineffectively pray the sick away!

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They go so far as to not take animals to the vet. A sweet lady (well I thought so until this) had her cat become ill.
She lived in a tiny apartment with it, a couple of rooms, and it took 5 days for it to die. It was in agony. I never spoke to her again unless I absolutely had to.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Jesus. That's loving horrifying all over. poo poo.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I keep thinking about that Guardian writer's dad and why they couldn't just amputate, at least. Wasn't there something about being allowed to set broken bones and other basic traditional medical techniques? Or is that the JWs?

Also, do they actually believe that they'll be damned if modern medicine is performed on them, even if they didn't choose it? Wouldn't they be blameless of sin if it was forced on them? At least for kids or for people who are incapacitated or having a medical emergency, I feel like hospitals should be able to make these decisions instead of family members.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
JWs as far as I know just say no blood products. Just the red stuff at a minimum but the True Believers will reject anything from blood. They’ll do dialysis, plasmapheresis, all kinds of advanced interventions.

Which is fine I guess until their blood is outside their body and the family starts ranting about “plasma volume expanders” and “blood substitutes”.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All I know about is Christian Science. No medical procedures or medicine of any kind was ok to use---but that was softened a little in last few decades as the church members have died off.
As the article states the decline was huge in last 3 decades, coincidentally during my adult life which unfortunately I let Christian Science be a huge part of though I am an atheist.

The exception was setting of broken bones, but that was fairly infrequent. In the 70s Christian Science lost some horrific cases in the Supreme Court regarding child neglect and that helped slightly I think but in no way enough. The emotional damage from being raised in a Christian Science home is incalculable--- there is no strife, depression, disability, NOTHING, remember--- we are all perfect as God is perfect, for Man is the reflection of God.
🙄

Not mentioned in that article is how the Mother Church legally separated itself from the Christian Science nursing homes (I think same time period) to protect itself from legal liability re neglect of adults, but of course this was nothing but a technicality.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Spins posted:

They go so far as to not take animals to the vet. A sweet lady (well I thought so until this) had her cat become ill.
She lived in a tiny apartment with it, a couple of rooms, and it took 5 days for it to die. It was in agony. I never spoke to her again unless I absolutely had to.

You’d think she’d at least have the decency to brick the poor animal. Take responsibility for your beliefs, you weirdos.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Rita and Doug Swan are mentioned in that Christian Science story, but their backstory isn't really explained. For those who aren't familiar, this is a pretty good and thread-appropriate story about them:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...a-76461a5c20d7/

They are ex-Christian Scientists whose toddler died of treatable meningitis. After that, they founded an organization that campaigns for laws requiring parents to get their kids medical treatment. I have read longer stories about them before, but this was the best I could find in a quick google search today.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
The Canadian teens who went on a killing spree have been found. Looks like they died in the brush.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/08/07/canadian-teens-suspected-killing-spree/

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pookel posted:

Rita and Doug Swan are mentioned in that Christian Science story, but their backstory isn't really explained. For those who aren't familiar, this is a pretty good and thread-appropriate story about them:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...a-76461a5c20d7/

They are ex-Christian Scientists whose toddler died of treatable meningitis. After that, they founded an organization that campaigns for laws requiring parents to get their kids medical treatment. I have read longer stories about them before, but this was the best I could find in a quick google search today.

Thank you for link! This story shows some of the insanity-----there is massive lying going on as well. Could be a great story for me to use....ty

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

La Brea Carpet posted:

The Canadian teens who went on a killing spree have been found. Looks like they died in the brush.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/08/07/canadian-teens-suspected-killing-spree/

It’s been a theme in this thread before but people consistently underestimate how dangerous it is to be up there alone and without support.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Don't know if it was Christian Science, but it was definitely Christian, a few years ago a family in the west of Canada was charged for the death of their teenage son from whom they withheld diabetes medication. There's :nms: pics?? and dear God does he not look 15 in them

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Almost surely not, because the founder's (Mary Baker Eddy) writings would have been included. There are multiple tiny sects of fundies that solely rely on God for healing; Christian Science was a big established religion in comparison that successfully fought for a measure of respectability and acceptance in the US through various means.
(While being an astonishing cult all along.)

I'll quit posting about it though, this thread is a catch all I know.)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s been a theme in this thread before but people consistently underestimate how dangerous it is to be up there alone and without support.

Autopsies still need to be done, but they probably killed themselves.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
ooooorrrrrr they found two look a likes to escape :tinfoil:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Autopsies still need to be done, but they probably killed themselves.

Those two yeah, but I meant in general. North of a provincial capital you can turn from famous to Eaten By Bears in like an hour.

And then in the territories lol at rando white dudes going "omg yes i love the outdoors"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i was so mad when, as a kid, i saw a christian scientist reading room (or whatever) and had to be told it wasn't just a group of scientists who happened to be christian. nope, just a weirdass cult.

i wonder how many people have made that mistake

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i was so mad when, as a kid, i saw a christian scientist reading room (or whatever) and had to be told it wasn't just a group of scientists who happened to be christian. nope, just a weirdass cult.

i wonder how many people have made that mistake

:yossame:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I imagined it as some sort of Biblical science think-tank, a library wherein scholars researched Biblical history, the natural sciences, theology etc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It honestly turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

For some reason I conflated Christian Scientists and Scientologists when I was a kid, having somehow heard both names but not knowing that they were actually two entirely different and separate life-ruining weirdo cults.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Spins posted:

Almost surely not, because the founder's (Mary Baker Eddy) writings would have been included. There are multiple tiny sects of fundies that solely rely on God for healing; Christian Science was a big established religion in comparison that successfully fought for a measure of respectability and acceptance in the US through various means.

My grandma grew up in rural Oklahoma & knew a bunch of people who were in the Church of the First Born, which was a similar group. I have no idea if they're still around.

Please keep posting if you want to, it's fascinating.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

By the way, the images are all spoilered in this link, so you can click on it and read the story without having to look at them, if you're not sure.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spins posted:

When you're able, I would like to know whatever you're willing to share.

The various religious movements that sprang up in the last half of the 19th century have always been fascinating to me as someone who grew up in a very staid Lutheran church.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/sairasameerarao/status/1159193443467481090?s=19

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

we came to get the history of a southern plantation but without all the stuff about slaves :thunk:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
fwiw my christian scientist friend grew up jewish and converted in her 20s so she kind of got the best of both worlds, medical technology got her through the dangerous part of childhood and then when she was out of danger she threw herself upon the mercy of the LORD

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Spins posted:

When you get ready to reveal things, keep Truth & Transparency Foundation (formerly MormonLeaks) in mind, they've expanded beyond Mormonism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

we came to get the history of a southern plantation but without all the stuff about slaves :thunk:

Nothing ruins historical places more than history.