Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Just today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phlegmish posted:

Because Rhodesia? What? You mean because of the Boer War?

moreso https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Bush_War

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

We have always been uncomfortable with acknowledging how racist we are as a nation

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's certainly a message that would come with a non-white 007 doing the dirty work of a decayed and now irrelevant empire, especially if M goes back to being a old white guy.

You're going to love Bond 25, then. Not only is the new 007 black, she's also a woman.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also possibly some problematic undertones to casting a black guy as a character defined by violence and sexual conquest.
If you can find a away to cast Idris Elba in a non-sexy way, I'd like to see it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

If you can find a away to cast Idris Elba in a non-sexy way, I'd like to see it.

he is in Cats! (2019) and finding that sexy is in the dsm-v

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

InediblePenguin posted:

he is in Cats! (2019) and finding that sexy is in the dsm-v

It's pretty impressive that furries seem to hate it more than anyone.

Maybe because the general preferred furry look is cartoon animal faces on human bodies and Cats is the opposite of that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Join me in the Despair Oubliette. We have pie.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's pretty impressive that furries seem to hate it more than anyone.

Whatever that spray-painted flock on Cats' hideous bodies is, it ain't fur.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

But then again,

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's significantly more stupid than that. It's the U.N. and/or Illuminati deciding that they want to exterminate the white race so they're convincing the women in white majority countries to avoid having children, have fewer children, or marry interracially to create pressure on those countries to need labor and thus start importing not white people. See, not white people mostly have higher birth rates right now so they'll move in, breed like crazy, and overtake the majority in a few generations.

I oversimplified it because the whole thing is just so fundamentally racist and ludicrous that it didn't seem worth doing a full breakdown, but yeah, it's some 12 dimensional chess conspiracy justification for being super racist.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Another mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio. Because he was killed by police shortly after the shooting started, NRA fans are claiming it’s a win for the “good guy with a gun” narrative.

During the El Paso shooting, one of those “good guys with a gun” was nearly killed by police because he’s Black; the only thing that saved him was that he was surrounded by the children he had herded away from the mall’s play area to safety. Otherwise he would’ve met the same fate as the Black security guard killed by police while he was detaining a gunman outside a Chicago nightclub.

I’m so tired of this. Any overseas goons looking for an American mail order bride? Maybe a lonely Scandinavian or Emirati bachelor?

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Busket Posket posted:

Another mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio. Because he was killed by police shortly after the shooting started, NRA fans are claiming it’s a win for the “good guy with a gun” narrative.

During the El Paso shooting, one of those “good guys with a gun” was nearly killed by police because he’s Black; the only thing that saved him was that he was surrounded by the children he had herded away from the mall’s play area to safety. Otherwise he would’ve met the same fate as the Black security guard killed by police while he was detaining a gunman outside a Chicago nightclub.

I’m so tired of this. Any overseas goons looking for an American mail order bride? Maybe a lonely Scandinavian or Emirati bachelor?

hey if any said bachelor is looking for a really generic balding 30 something white guy I'd be happy to take an offer as well

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The whole world is hosed, be good to those you hold dear and pray oblivion comes swiftly and painlessly

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There has to be a term for using woke sounding excuses to avoid casting a black man as the star of a movie in a popular franchise. Concern trolling?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ponzicar posted:

There has to be a term for using woke sounding excuses to avoid casting a black man as the star of a movie in a popular franchise. Concern trolling?

It would be concern trolling if you assume the posters in question are arguing in bad faith, but it's not exactly a stretch to say the Bond franchise is a lot of pro-british-empire pro-capitalist wankery and that Idris Elba would be more enjoyable in roles unrelated to that

We could just not have any more Bond movies for the same reason there isn't Birth of a Nation 2, and that would be fine.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It would be concern trolling if you assume the posters in question are arguing in bad faith, but it's not exactly a stretch to say the Bond franchise is a lot of pro-british-empire pro-capitalist wankery and that Idris Elba would be more enjoyable in roles unrelated to that

We could just not have any more Bond movies for the same reason there isn't Birth of a Nation 2, and that would be fine.

You're right, I shouldn't have phrased it like that.

I just think that representation is more important than worrying about the themes and symbolism of a franchise when the vast majority of moviegoers aren't going to be analysing it on that level.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the only solution is to offer Idris Elba the role, and let Idris Elba decide if Idris Elba wants to be Bond.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:wrong:, would.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I guess the only solution is to offer Idris Elba the role, and let Idris Elba decide if Idris Elba wants to be Bond.

But his decisions affect all of us :(

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Hasn't he already said he doesn't want to be Bond?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Yes, even so far as requesting they change his line in the new fast and furious spin off from "I'm the black James Bond" to "I'm the black Superman"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I just like Idris Elba :shobon:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wasn't really familiar with him but now I like him

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like him and think he's beautiful but he's in a lot of stuff now, it's like ice cream for every meal. I don't want to burn out on him!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's certainly a message that would come with a non-white 007 doing the dirty work of a decayed and now irrelevant empire, especially if M goes back to being a old white guy.
Better yet, have a non-white 007 go on a mission that turns out to involve dealing with the fallout from his predecessor's imperialist bullshit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

duz posted:

Yes, even so far as requesting they change his line in the new fast and furious spin off from "I'm the black James Bond" to "I'm the black Superman"

I’d watch Black Superman.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
NdT is getting his shows back after the heat has died down from his multiple sexual harassment charges, so he’s back to full strength and going straight to Dr. Manhattan

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928?s=20

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Busket Posket posted:

NdT is getting his shows back after the heat has died down from his multiple sexual harassment charges, so he’s back to full strength and going straight to Dr. Manhattan

i always hated when dr manhattan says this anyway because my dude structurally there is a fuckton of difference between a living and dead person

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kanine posted:

i always hated when dr manhattan says this anyway because my dude structurally there is a fuckton of difference between a living and dead person

Dr Manhattan don't know much about biology.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dr Manhattan don't know much about biology.

Don't know much about a science book

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

christmas boots posted:

Don't know much about a science book

I actually do remember (some of) the French I took.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Aleph Null posted:

I actually do remember (some of) the French I took.

JE SUIS MUZZY

je suis la jeune fille

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Speaking of death cults, the Church of Christian Science is diminishing rapidly. Warning: vivid description of death from gangrene.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Busket Posket posted:

JE SUIS MUZZY

je suis la jeune fille

Oh, lucky, you got Muzzy and not this rear end in a top hat

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Busket Posket posted:

A good chunk of those suicides happen expressly because firearms are freely available, you overeducated, buffoonish lout.

Also, those handgun homicides might have more emotional impact if they were all read out slowly every day on the news (accompanied by portraits of surviving family members), as opposed to barely being mentioned unless it happened locally.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of death cults, the Church of Christian Science is diminishing rapidly. Warning: vivid description of death from gangrene.

This is a good article, tho sparing of the horrific details. BELIEVE me - there is no exaggeration here at all.

I have long fleetingly referenced my association with Christian Science here on SA and I LONG for the day when I am free to post about it.
I can't. The religion is so small that to write about it as I wish---with all the massive detail I unfortunately know
Would doxx myself - and I would lose my job. The job is what I can't lose, I need the income.

God I can't wait. I always thought I'd write a book but I'm not good enough. A thread will do.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Spins posted:

This is a good article, tho sparing of the horrific details. BELIEVE me - there is no exaggeration here at all.

I have long fleetingly referenced my association with Christian Science here on SA and I LONG for the day when I am free to post about it.
I can't. The religion is so small that to write about it as I wish---with all the massive detail I unfortunately know
Would doxx myself - and I would lose my job. The job is what I can't lose, I need the income.

God I can't wait. I always thought I'd write a book but I'm not good enough. A thread will do.
Write it up now, save it to post when you're able.

Alternately, adopt the "deep background" voice and talk about incidents that happened without saying how you're connected to any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My city has a big Christian Science church, I never really knew what they were about but I'm excited for their demise and the building to be put to better use.