Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Dale is sweet and pure

Yeah. I think Dale's naive nature extends way too far into every aspect of his life to just be an act to stick it to John Redcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JB50 posted:

He basically played John Redcorn on Parks and Rec too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC68PteXttY

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Does anyone buy into the theory that Dale knew all along Redcorn was Josephs father? If you watch the show that way it does kinda add a new darker edge to Dale.

I think the joke works perfectly both ways too many times for the writers to be doing it by accident. I think it's supposed to be funny/ambiguous.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It's doubly funny that Dale thinks John Redcorn is gay.

It's probably the funniest gay joke in anything ever.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dale brings it up a few times even coming up with an abduction story to cover it. He might know on some level but if he does he doesn't let himself think too much on it. Worst case he suspects Joseph of being an alien not a Redcorn.

He's well aware that he was out of town when Joseph was conceived.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

He is so pure he cannot fathom things to the point where and alien abduction is infinitely more believable than his friends or family betraying him.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Dale really is the best character.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Someone needs to start a Dale Gribble self defense course.

POCKET SAND!

SQUIRREL TACTIC!

TURBINE!

SHAA SHHAA!!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dale really is great. He thinks of his dad as a womanizing cowboy and hates him, then he thinks he's a government agent and hates him even more, then he finds out that he's just gay and instantly everything is okay and he loves him again.

He's also the best kind of gun owner. When he makes booby-traps they're just pellet guns, and even in the episode where he has illusions of grandeur and pretends to be a mercenary he's not conceal carrying a pistol, he throws sand in a guys face. He doesn't ever want to hurt anyone with a gun. The only time I can remember him seriously armed and ready to fight was when he thought someone was breaking into Josephs room in the middle of the night, he loving rolls into the room with 2 guns and 0 fear.

Although he did open an illegal gun store/shooting range that sold guns for far too cheap and certainly didn't do background checks, pobodies nerfect.

Edit : holy poo poo I'm rewatching the episode where Dale finds out his dad's gay. "Nancy I don't know what to do, nobodies ever deceived me before!"

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 6, 2019

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

do we have any conclusive proof that hawaii actually exists?

object-a
Aug 3, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh shi-

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PinheadSlim posted:

The only time I can remember him seriously armed and ready to fight was when he thought someone was breaking into Josephs room in the middle of the night, he loving rolls into the room with 2 guns and 0 fear.

Which eps that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Milo and POTUS posted:

Which eps that

i want to say the one where he reads the warren commission report to joseph, realizes he mixed up east and west and thus that oswald killed kennedy, and becomes super-patriotic after

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dale also clobbers a would be intruder with a plant pot. Fortunately it was just trusty John Redcorn.

Is John Redcorn the most 3 dimensional Native American on television?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dale also clobbers a would be intruder with a plant pot. Fortunately it was just trusty John Redcorn.

Is John Redcorn the most 3 dimensional Native American on television?

He breaks the "noble savage" trope hard. Has flaws, follows his religion nominally like the hills follow christianity.

It's pretty good.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fortunately it was just thrusty John Redcorn.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Does anyone buy into the theory that Dale knew all along Redcorn was Josephs father? If you watch the show that way it does kinda add a new darker edge to Dale.

"I don't believe it! Dale and Nancy have a fairybook marriage."

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

pixaal posted:

Dale brings it up a few times even coming up with an abduction story to cover it. He might know on some level but if he does he doesn't let himself think too much on it. Worst case he suspects Joseph of being an alien not a Redcorn.

He's well aware that he was out of town when Joseph was conceived.

I love it when Dale's imagining the night Joseph was conceived, and took for granted that John Redcorn slept on the couch.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was just watching the episode where Bobby goes to the cotillion class and right as he's saying "There's this class I can take that could teach me, well, to be more like you." my wife walks by and says "Oh is this the clown college episode?" Burn.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Who What Now posted:

And why is "DOOM" in quotes? Is it a sarcastic doom? Is the wink implied?!

Focus groups said that people would be less likely to resist doom if they thought doom was going to have sex with them

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love that moment in the bounty hunter episode where Dale shows up to the target's place, looks through his peephole, and moves his head enough so you can clearly see the words 'BOUNTY HUNTER' across his hat.

Also, he was wearing a hat that said 'BOUNTY HUNTER' across it.

I love this show, and am still in that golden position of not having seen every episode, especially the later seasons. It might make me a bad fan, but I haven't (yet) seen any episode with Lucky in it. Or if I did, it was way back when it originally aired, and I have completely forgotten it. I want to binge KotH somehow (I don't care how), but I also don't want to end up seeing everything. New episodes (to me) are wonderful.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Slipped on some pee pee and got me a $53,000 settlement. Never gonna have to work another day in my life.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fishstick posted:

Slipped on some pee pee and got me a $53,000 settlement. Never gonna have to work another day in my life.

Pee pee money is not a work history Lucky.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nothing gets wrapped up in the finale it wasn't even intended as a finale a different episode was.

It's still a fitting last story but it really is just another episode

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

pixaal posted:

Nothing gets wrapped up in the finale it wasn't even intended as a finale a different episode was.

What episode was it supposed to be?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

pixaal posted:

which final episode are you talking about? also what needs to get wrapped up on this show that isn't wrapped up by the end?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

killer crane posted:

which final episode are you talking about? also what needs to get wrapped up on this show that isn't wrapped up by the end?

The wedding was the intended finale, the actual finale is the one where Bobbie learns the joins of grilling.

Nothing needed to be wrapped up but they didn't do that lame thing a lot of shows do where they kind of break character to say goodbye to the audience. You could watch either of these episodes and have no idea it's not a random middle of the season episode. I think it's perfect.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the Bobby grilling episode is really, really fuckin bad

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I wasn't saying the episode was perfect, it's perfect that the show goes out like it's just another episode.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

They try to make a tender father and son episode after 3 seasons of bad show.

Surprise, it's a bad show still.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

the episode isn't great, but the montages with baby bobby, and the neighborhood all getting ready for the cookout at the end are a perfect send-off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pixaal posted:

The wedding was the intended finale, the actual finale is the one where Bobbie learns the joins of grilling.

Nothing needed to be wrapped up but they didn't do that lame thing a lot of shows do where they kind of break character to say goodbye to the audience. You could watch either of these episodes and have no idea it's not a random middle of the season episode. I think it's perfect.

It's been a few years but there was a string of episodes toward the end of the run which were a bit weird in that they wrap up characters, then return to the status quo next. Dale becomes voluntarily committed for fucks sake. It's like they're a bunch of alternate universe takes at the end of the series

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

killer crane posted:

the episode isn't great, but the montages with baby bobby, and the neighborhood all getting ready for the cookout at the end are a perfect send-off.

yeah its a good episode

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

killer crane posted:

Yup. The only thing missing was Bobby, Khan Jr. and Joseph joining all their dads for a beer in the alley.

No I'm not crying thinking about it its just allergies

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

hawowanlawow posted:

the Bobby grilling episode is really, really fuckin bad

What makes it so bad? One of the main plot points of the entire series is that Hank and Bobby have nothing to bond over. I thought the show was one of the better send offs for a sitcom. I also like the way they pan back, and the viewer floats away into the sky the same way the viewer comes from the sky and pans down in the first episode.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Smiling Mandrill posted:

What makes it so bad? One of the main plot points of the entire series is that Hank and Bobby have nothing to bond over. I thought the show was one of the better send offs for a sitcom. I also like the way they pan back, and the viewer floats away into the sky the same way the viewer comes from the sky and pans down in the first episode.

Bobby learning to like grilling in the hill house as a revelation is dumb.

The solution to the Bobby hank divide being bobby turns into hank is dumb. Ugh

Learn 1 lesson hank

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been a few years but there was a string of episodes toward the end of the run which were a bit weird in that they wrap up characters, then return to the status quo next. Dale becomes voluntarily committed for fucks sake. It's like they're a bunch of alternate universe takes at the end of the series

I like that they at least tried to resolve some of the ongoing plotlines

The last syndication-only episode that focuses on Khan's manic-depressive episodes is reeeeeal fuckin' gross though

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Bobby learning to like grilling in the hill house as a revelation is dumb.

The solution to the Bobby hank divide being bobby turns into hank is dumb. Ugh

Learn 1 lesson hank

The episode wasn't about bobby learning to grill, it was about Bobby discovering he had a natural talent for inspecting beef. Which made sense given the amount of steak the Hill's consume throughout the series. Also Bobby didn't turn into Hank, they just discovered a mutual interest they could finally bond over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Smiling Mandrill posted:

The episode wasn't about bobby learning to grill, it was about Bobby discovering he had a natural talent for inspecting beef. Which made sense given the amount of steak the Hill's consume throughout the series. Also Bobby didn't turn into Hank, they just discovered a mutual interest they could finally bond over.

Yeah, Bobby still wants to play a guitar with a piece of cheese. Hank will never understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Smiling Mandrill posted:

it's not funny