Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phanatic posted:

Talk about assuming.

v0v given the track record of law enforcement in the past decade or so I'm willing to give a lot more benefit of the doubt to some guy who got his car impounded than the cops who impounded it.

We're basically at the point of "do not travel with any high-value property or sum of cash you're not willing to hand over to the police with zero expectations of getting it back" when you consider how out of control CAF has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
There was a supreme court case about asset forfeiture recently. I don't remember what it changed, but it was a unanimous decision against the state

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Also why the gently caress would they need to keep the car as "evidence." Either you caught the driver street racing or you didn't what is having the car going to prove.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Previa_fun posted:

Also why the gently caress would they need to keep the car as "evidence." Either you caught the driver street racing or you didn't what is having the car going to prove.

People could undo illegal modifications that they're being impounded for.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Door Frame posted:

There was a supreme court case about asset forfeiture recently. I don't remember what it changed, but it was a unanimous decision against the state

It didn't say much about asset forfeiture directly; the big deal was that this finally explicitly incorporated the 8th amendment's prohibition on excessive fines. Cops bust a guy for possession, find $200 bucks worth of drugs in his $40000 truck. He gets hit with a fine of $1200...but then the cops also take the truck.

Supreme Court sent the case back down to the lower court, saying "When the 8th amendment forbids excessive fines, it means it, yes, that also applies to the states, and you can't take an asset whose value exceeds by my times the actual fine levied and pretend that that doesn't count as an excessive fine."

The best part was during oral arguments, when the state's attorney argued that yes, they could confiscate your Ferrari because you're speeding.

When even Breyer's clowning on you you know you messed up.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/2018/17-1091_1bn2.pdf

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 29, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Geoj posted:

You're assuming a lot here.

An unmodified Buick Roadmaster getting swept up in a street racing sting sounds a lot like "cops rolled into a parking lot where some street racers were congregating and impounded literally every car in the lot whether they had evidence of wrongdoing or not."

Also given most states allow the police to take a cut of the proceeds of CAF it becomes increasingly difficult to determine what is civil asset forfeiture and what is "seizing evidence" when the police have a financial incentive to do one over the other. Also the evidence standards are wildly different - they don't have to prove poo poo with CAF (the onus is on the property owner to prove it wasn't obtained with the profits of or being used in the commission of a crime.)

In short, the reality we live in is not the same as the one you were taught about in civics class.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-street-racing-1.5220199

quote:

On Saturday night the police saw the driver of a burgundy Buick rev its engine and burnout for about five seconds as it left a parking lot. In a press release, police say they followed the car and arrested the 24-year-old man who was driving, and charged him with stunt driving.

The dude sounds completely innocent.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

By the same token, stunt driving must have a really, really broad definition...I wouldn't consider a 5 second or less burnout as "stunt driving", they make it sound like he was doing something way worse. Unless you weren't being sarcastic, then yeah, I agree a 5 second burnout isn't nearly as big a deal as actual street racing/drifting/reckless endangerment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's how enforcement works. If cop is annoyed they will find some nitpicky thing to nail you for.

A five second burnout is a couple levels beyond "nitpicky" but they were clearly on the prowl for street racers and anyone that makes any kind of noise was probably going to have a bad night.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Depending on the state and how well you interact with the officer, it can be a warning, a citation, a vehicle impounded, or an arrest. It sucks, but it's better that speed cameras everywhere automatically ticketing people

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Every Mustang that wipes out into a crowd of people while leaving cars-and-coffee started out with just a brief burnout.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phanatic posted:

Every Mustang that wipes out into a crowd of people while leaving cars-and-coffee started out with just a brief burnout.

My local cars'n'coffee has been booted out of three different locations at this point due to morons who wouldn't stop doing burnouts leaving venues. 100% of those cases were American muscle cars. Connection or coincidence?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw some sweet justice the other night. Some dillweed in a blacked out sedan was doing 75+ on the highway on a spare tire, weaving traffic to try and maintain speed. I was just starting my "loving idiot" exclamation when I noticed a second car in my mirror doing the same thing.

Except this car was a state trooper. :v:

Really wish I had a dashcam for that one because even the cop was driving like a shitcock trying to catch up (he hadn't lit his lights yet and was cornered by three cars, if I hadn't let off the gas to make him room he would have clipped my front bumper) but I think I'm still pretty happy with the outcome because that was probably not a ticket with a small dollar amount and it's always nice to see idiots get penalized.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I passed a cop at 80 mph in a 65 with no issue. Its funny how speeding works in different locations.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I bet on my life it was a Nissan Altima.

And that the spare was on the front.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yamdankee posted:

It was on the rear, sorry.

It could have been an Altima though. I should be ashamed for not being able to identify it instantly but it was in that Camry/Accord/Altima class. They had debadged it and made all the windows pitch black.

Shortly after I was trying to avoid a collision with Mad Cop so got distracted. :v:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

um excuse me posted:

I passed a cop at 80 mph in a 65 with no issue. Its funny how speeding works in different locations.
Yeah it is. Here, fixed speed cameras are everywhere and so people will do (speed limit - 5) km/h in all lanes. I consider it a good day if I can do my commute leaving cruise control on at (speed limit + 3) for half the journey.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was once around the DC area and saw a camera flash at me. I never got the ticket. It was looking against the flow of traffic and I have no front plates. Eat it, morally dubious revenue generation.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

um excuse me posted:

I was once around the DC area and saw a camera flash at me. I never got the ticket. It was looking against the flow of traffic and I have no front plates. Eat it, morally dubious revenue generation.

You sure it wasn't in the center but pointed at the other traffic? As far as I've seen all our cameras shoot from behind, which is not to say the flashes don't go off in the faces of oncoming traffic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like the road ones that tell you to slow down yet show your speed.

I look down at the speedo and think, cool, we match.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

You sure it wasn't in the center but pointed at the other traffic? As far as I've seen all our cameras shoot from behind, which is not to say the flashes don't go off in the faces of oncoming traffic.

IIRC the camera was on the right side of the highway. I looked at my speed and I was definitely over. Not sure when those things trip. It was long enough ago where I could be mistaking it for being in the rear view.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
These are the neighbors I share a road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oRCrMNNIg

Unfortunately straight up running this stop sign is a fairly common occurrence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB4VEqTJjd0

Also yes, replacing my windshield is on the summer to-do list, but I just dropped $450 on vet bills.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

yamdankee posted:

Nissans truly are the new Mitsubishis.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

um excuse me posted:

IIRC the camera was on the right side of the highway. I looked at my speed and I was definitely over. Not sure when those things trip. It was long enough ago where I could be mistaking it for being in the rear view.

Were you near an intersection? Could be red light camera facing the other direction

Cameras are always set up to snap the rear plates because that's the only uniform location requirement

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nowhere near. There was a residential avenue on the side of the highway, some tree cover, but that's it.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

These are the neighbors I share a road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oRCrMNNIg

Was he flipping you off as he drove away? :psyduck:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tex Avery posted:

Was he flipping you off as he drove away? :psyduck:

Yes he was, in fairness I did give a quick "what the hell, man" honk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo make sure you watch this to the end. The incident at the beginning was pretty :jerkbag: but there's a twist ending.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Never lift!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

All three BMWs have over reported at the speedo by 5%. My old R6 was by like 15%!

No matching here. :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Why do some people take a passing attempt like you’ve dishonored their whole family?

Made a left turn onto a road and a guy going the other way made a right turn into his own lane. I started accelerating as I needed to get into his lane and he sped up to block me. I said whatever and started braking... and then he did too. Just to not let me over.

He finally got over, passed me and then got in front of me and tried to brake check. I never even so much as honked at him, but he apparently took great personal offense that I wanted his lane.

Why? What do you have to gain from doing this?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Protocol7 posted:

Studies have shown that people feel "safe" in their car. And advertising is linking power/freedom to car ownership. Taking someones lane is a perceived attack on their property. Which is crazy from an objective point of view. But humans aren't quite objective.

The above studies have also found that an argument within a car (between passengers) is more likely to escalate than the same situation in a normal environment. Since you're essentially trapped in the car.

Summary: Cars are bad for the environment and our stone age brains.
Solution: We need new brains. ASAP ;)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Why do some people take a passing attempt like you’ve dishonored their whole family?

Made a left turn onto a road and a guy going the other way made a right turn into his own lane. I started accelerating as I needed to get into his lane and he sped up to block me. I said whatever and started braking... and then he did too. Just to not let me over.

He finally got over, passed me and then got in front of me and tried to brake check. I never even so much as honked at him, but he apparently took great personal offense that I wanted his lane.

You can't win if you let people pass you.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
People in my area do this weird thing where if you’re in the left lane in like a 2 lane 40mph road and they are behind you in the right, they like to purposely ride juuuuust enough so that if you needed to get over and in front of them you’d be the jerk. I’ve purposely incrementally accelerated well past the speed I passed them and they stick right in that spot.

Another thing is when someone is doing something stupid like a 300 point turn across a 4 lane road and I make a face to the person next to me like “get a load a this guy lol” they look at me like I’m flipping them off with both hands and literally Satan.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Protocol7 posted:

Do what I do - first, don't acknowledge them, keep going the speed you're going or going the limit. They'll initially speed up or try to pace you, then let their guard down & slow down thinking you're not going to get over. That's when you punch it & pass them before they have a chance to react. gently caress those chumps.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My solution: Turn indicators signal my intent, not a request. I will perform my due diligence to avoid a collision and respect your space; however, if you alter your vector to reduce the clearance, that's your problem, not mine. I'm driving a ratty looking, two thousand dollar, twenty-year-old CR-V, I'll loving kill us both.

Case in point: We're coming up to a 2-1 merge. I'm in the right lane, first spot at the light. Light greens. We move. As we approach the merge point and I flick my indicator, Dipshit Left #2 suddenly realizes I'm not turning right and accelerates. However, I'm already over the centerline. His front bumper made it just past my rear bumper before he realized I wasn't fazed in the least and that he was going to either eat the median curb or my left quarter. He brakes hard (actually smoking a tire; way to not keep your brakes/ABS in working order, Dipshit [counterpoint: my ABS is currently on the fritz as well :v: ]), then proceeds to lay on the horn and ride about 3 feet off my bumper until I make the left into my neighborhood a few miles later.

Was I a bit of a dick? Maybe. Perhaps. I'll live with it.

*Note: this does NOT work when riding motorcycles. You are simply an invisible target everyone is subconsciously trying to hit, and must act accordingly.

yamdankee posted:

People in my area do this weird thing where if you’re in the left lane in like a 2 lane 40mph road and they are behind you in the right, they like to purposely ride juuuuust enough so that if you needed to get over and in front of them you’d be the jerk. I’ve purposely incrementally accelerated well past the speed I passed them and they stick right in that spot.

Oh, this poo poo. I had a cruiser rider maintain position directly in my blind spot for a good half mile. We came to a light together and I said "Hey man, you were riding in my blind spot there, that's pretty dangerous. Just be aware." He proceeded to give me the nth degree about how he's been riding for years blah blah blah at which point I just rolled up the window and ignored him. He didn't like that either, so when the light greened he accelerated hard and switched into my lane with about 6-10 feet of clearance. While I'm in my CR-V, on his Honda Shadow 750, with a passenger.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 12, 2019

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
If I'm passing someone on the right on the highway, I'll just gun it right away. Give them a reasonable chance to move over but blow by them if they don't.

I'm sure it makes me look like a dildo but if you try to pass people at +3 mph they'll speed up to block you fully 75% of the time, it's not a rare occurrence. If you're going 10 mph faster by the time your wheels are even they just let you go.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It's absolutely a deliberate thing, along with slow people merging into the left lane in front of you at the last second instead of waiting for you to pass when there is no one behind you.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Colostomy Bag posted:

My speedometer reads +2 to what the sign indicates and I set my cruise accordingly. If I want 65 by the officer's radar, I tack it at 67 by my speedo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I drove 250+miles with the cruise set to 60 (legal limit whilst I was towing) and the number of people who tried to merge through the trailer (bright orange tarp on a big white box) or speed up when I overtook them was mind blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It's absolutely a deliberate thing, along with slow people merging into the left lane in front of you at the last second instead of waiting for you to pass when there is no one behind you.

I’ve always thought that it’s deliberate and it used to get me worked up when it happened. My wife, in an attempt to calm me, keeps telling me it’s not intentional but rather that people have such low situational awareness that their lizard brains take over and they sort of zone out and match what you’re doing until something startles them into some sort of action. I still get a little mad but then I tell myself that there’s no way all these people are this petty, rather it’s that they’re just *buzzing static* all the time. It helps.