Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

spasticColon posted:

When are the B550 boards and the 3700 non-X going to become available? I ask because I'm not going to able to build a new system for a little while yet so should I just wait for the cheaper B550 boards and 3700 non-X? It's looking like I won't be able to build my new system until sometime around Xmas at the earliest.

Neither have announced release dates.

Apparently the B550 chipset isn't going to be available to OEMs until Q4, so probably Q1 2020 at the earliest. We'll surely know more by Christmas, though! The 3700 is still unannounced and only exists as a European Economic Commission listing, so it's not even a guaranteed thing that it will ever exist. If I had to guess I'd say before Christmas, but that's literally just a wild guess based on the fact that Zen 3 will likely be coming sometime in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arzachel posted:

*At double the price and 1.5x power draw

eagerly awaiting the time machine to send the 3600 back to the year 2017.

like no poo poo tech gets cheaper over time... especially since the 3600 still isn't as fast as a 8700K... did you actually expect AMD to try and price the 3600 over top of the 8700K despite it being two years newer and still slower?

the 8700K is definitely in the top-5 best releases over the last 10 years... you've got the 5820K, the 2600K, and probably the Ryzen 1600 and 1700. Maybe the 3930K as an honorable mention, it's still hanging in there except for those poorly-optimized Ubisoft DRM titles.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Dat Hardware Unboxed comparison really did spoil people's expectations of the 3600 lol.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Excellent video on Ryzen CPUs and memory, especially FCLK overclocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJ16hD4ysk

Is it worth it on Ryzen 2000, though? Might as well set it to 1600 if I'm locked at 3200.

Still wondering why I couldn't get safe timings to work either. Maybe there was a setting I missed or something.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 5, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

like no poo poo tech gets cheaper over time... especially since the 3600 still isn't as fast as a 8700K... did you actually expect AMD to try and price the 3600 over top of the 8700K despite it being two years newer and still slower?

the 8700K is definitely in the top-5 best releases over the last 10 years... you've got the 5820K, the 2600K, and probably the Ryzen 1600 and 1700. Maybe the 3930K as an honorable mention, it's still hanging in there except for those poorly-optimized Ubisoft DRM titles.
Sandy Bridge took Intel's lead over AMD from "yeah a bit better" to "AMWho?" The 8700k was just their first real mainstream CPU release since the 2600k.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 5, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ufarn posted:

Excellent video on Ryzen CPUs and memory, especially FCLK overclocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJ16hD4ysk

Is it worth it on Ryzen 2000, though? Might as well set it to 1600 if I'm locked at 3200.

Still wondering why I couldn't get safe timings to work either. Maybe there was a setting I missed or something.

Huh. That means, in theory, laptop manufacturers could do that thing where they throw 2133 memory into laptops as a cost saving measure and.... not lose performance?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Settle down there buddy. You're the one who started comparing value propositions without factoring in silly things like price.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

like no poo poo tech gets cheaper over time.

Yeah, I can get so much more RAM today for less wait what :(

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I was pretty ho-hum about the 1060 6GB. I mean, the Titan GTX launched a whole two and a half years earlier. Yawn.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Settle down there buddy. You're the one who started comparing value propositions without factoring in silly things like price.

Hmm? I said it was a good price for its time. Two years and two generations of AMD chips later, you'd hope there'd be an effective response of some kind from AMD. But spending an extra hundred bucks to get the tech two years earlier wasn't really a terrible deal, and the 8700K is still the faster chip even today.

Not sure why you think that's controversial.

I still think the 3600 is a good chip and is pretty much the default pick now, and it's now Intel's turn to step up their offering or cut their prices. That doesn't mean the 8700K was a bad deal, and I really shouldn't have to jerk off AMD's lineup in every single post to keep y'all from jumping over a one-liner pointing out the 8700K was a good release, and that the 3600 is really evolutionary and not revolutionary in that segment. It's move and countermove between the two players, like always. The 8700K was a good move and the 3600 was a good move too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 5, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That was most certainly not the point you were making when said "but, [the 3600's] value proposition was offered by the 8700k years ago". If you're point was that the 8700k was a good value for it's time, well no one's disagreeing. We're making fun of you for thinking that a $360 8700k two years ago is in any way relevant to whether the $200 3600 is a good value today. What's the 8700k cost to buy right now? Heck, what's it cost to buy used?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 5, 2019

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Someone please makes sense of this for me.

What frequency is my CPU really running at?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really shouldn't have to jerk off AMD's lineup in every single post to keep y'all from jumping over a one-liner pointing out the 8700K was a good release, and that the 3600 is really evolutionary and not revolutionary in that segment.

This is probably the most dishonest thing I've ever read from you. We can scroll back and see what you actually posted, you know.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stickman posted:

That was most certainly not the point you were making when said "but, [the 3600's] value proposition was offered by the 8700k years ago". If you're point was that the 8700k was a good value for it's time, well no one's disagreeing. We're making fun of you for thinking that a $360 8700k two years ago is in any way relevant to whether the $200 3600 is a good value today. What's the 8700k cost to buy right now? Heck, what's it cost to buy used?

Believe it or not that is indeed what I implied. Hence the "years ago" part. ;)

I was poking fun at the people who think a hexacore like the 3600 being able to compete with a first/second-gen Ryzen octocore is somehow novel. This is indeed a proposition that the 8700K offered years ago.

First and second-gen Ryzen had a pretty big deficit when you actually did the math/tested them in CPU-bottlenecked situations. But 8 cores obviously must be better than 6, even if they're slower cores... at least until AMD comes out with faster cores and 6 fast cores is good again.

Stickman posted:

What's the 8700k cost to buy right now? Heck, what's it cost to buy used?

As I've said previously, now that the 3600 is out the 8700K is overpriced and needs to be price cut/refreshed with a better offering, but the 8700K has actually always been fairly cheap throughout the shortage. It's been running $300 at Microcenter and $350 elsewhere for a long time, despite the similarly-performing 9700K being above $400.

Of course Microcenter is also running some killer combos on Zen2 and 5700 combos, if you can get the manager to actually honor the promo. A total of $100 off a mobo, CPU, and GPU is a fantastic deal. I have heard "mixed" results on getting the managers to honor it though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 5, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

if you can get the manager to actually honor the promo. A total of $100 off a mobo, CPU, and GPU is a fantastic deal. I have heard "mixed" results on getting the managers to honor it though.
It's that way on their site, and it says it in the store near me. I've never heard of anyone having trouble.

The discount also applies before tax.

Then again, the store near me also lets you get bundle deals with refurb motherboards and will refund sales tax on any purchase within the return window of tax free day.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 5, 2019

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Sininu posted:

What frequency is my CPU really running at?

I would go by what Ryzen Master is telling you rather than windows for real time.

But on average under load the windows reported speed is accurate.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
For those of you having temp issues with your new Ryzen chips, check to see if your cooler is seated well before you jump to conclusions.

I'm sure everyone in this thread knows more than I do about PCs and building them and everything involved. But if you're like me and you're a little rusty with building PCs and you're sitting there at home driving yourself crazy, check all the things!

I had my cooler seated wrong. Went from 60-80 degree temps on one core to now a happy 35-50 degree average.

That said, I've not really put the system to a test yet.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

For those of you having temp issues with your new Ryzen chips, check to see if your cooler is seated well before you jump to conclusions.

I'm sure everyone in this thread knows more than I do about PCs and building them and everything involved. But if you're like me and you're a little rusty with building PCs and you're sitting there at home driving yourself crazy, check all the things!

I had my cooler seated wrong. Went from 60-80 degree temps on one core to now a happy 35-50 degree average.

That said, I've not really put the system to a test yet.

In what way was it seated wrong for you? It's my first time installing a CPU / cooler so I followed the recommended approach of tightening screws in an X pattern until tight but not over tight. The stock cooler has springs on (presumably to stop you over tightening) so do I need to tighten them more? The advice on all this is annoyingly imprecise.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I would assume the most common mistake is not using the little lever to make sure to lock it in place.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I did that but I'm still getting idle temps of 50+. Guess I'll try tightening the cooler screws some more.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mine idles at like 50C and spikes to 65C under load using the stock cooler, that's just what a 3700x runs at. It shouldn't be hitting 80c unless you are really pushing it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

pixaal posted:

Mine idles at like 50C and spikes to 65C under load using the stock cooler, that's just what a 3700x runs at. It shouldn't be hitting 80c unless you are really pushing it.

Mine is idling between 33C and 50c. It still hits 65 - 70 loaded. Nhd15s

It drops some loaded when not set to silent mode in the bios.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 6, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm using the Noctua NH-D15S and my 3700X idles in the 30s and spikes to the 60s under full load. The stock cooler bothered me and my case (Define R6) is built for quiet. Not so much the noise level as the pitch/whine of the fan or something. Anyways all better with the Noctua and I sold the cooler on ebay for $20.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I would go by what Ryzen Master is telling you rather than windows for real time.

But on average under load the windows reported speed is accurate.
So Windows and any other CPU monitoring software including CPU-Z and HWinfo gives wrong info for idle clocks?
Also why is its voltage 1.45-1.5V when idle, but more normal 1.3-1.35V when under load?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

pixaal posted:

I'm using the stock cooler on the 3700x and mine is definitely not idling that hot. Could be because my 140 front intake fan is like right on that poo poo though in the meshify C.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Anyone in the US able to get their hands on a 3900X? Microcenter says they got a shipment at release and nothing since with no word on restocks.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

necrobobsledder posted:

Anyone in the US able to get their hands on a 3900X? Microcenter says they got a shipment at release and nothing since with no word on restocks.

The Minneapolis Microcenter got at least one post-lanch shipment within a week of launch, that's where/when I got mine. In fact they currently show as in-stock at that location so they must have gotten a third shipment (the shipment I bought mine from sold out in a day).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

necrobobsledder posted:

Microcenter receives shipments twice per week and occasionally gets fedexed stuff. Sometimes they have 3900x, sometimes they don't. The site won't update from "out of stock" to "in stock" until 24 hours later for my local one, but a few locations update same day. It updates at ~8:23am EST exactly for the one near me, but it's the day after they get initial stock. Real-time stock updates for things not "out of stock" happen.

There was a large shipment hitting lots of places this week. Supposedly between the 7th-9th certain distributors are getting larger than release quantities of 3900x. At release my local microcenter had 20, I was 20something in line and didn't get one. I still don't have one. Most of the other times they've gotten shipments it has been between 2 and 5 3900x.

If you want to actually buy it "now" online seems best. You can check nowinstock but that's slow to update. There is a desktop app that's faster but I forgot its name. I used it to buy GPUs in the past. If someone knows the name feel free to post.

I wouldn't preorder at B&H unless you want to pay and then forget about it until it arrives. They're filling preorders from the 7th/8th today. If it shows up in stock there at any point it's worth preordering if you miss the window.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 7, 2019

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Hardware Unboxed have taken a look at Ryzen 3000 and memory performance and while it mostly doesn't make that much of a difference there are rare occasions when spending some time manually tuning the memory can give significant improvements:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
e: derp, missed the title

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Drakhoran posted:

Hardware Unboxed have taken a look at Ryzen 3000 and memory performance and while it mostly doesn't make that much of a difference there are rare occasions when spending some time manually tuning the memory can give significant improvements:

All about those tight subtimings, it seems; which is interesting, since it's probably one of the most overlooked parts of tuning a build

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Thank god there's some minutia to obsess over. Zen2 was looking too simple and if I cant spend days rebooting to make a number bigger what's the point.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Sininu posted:

So Windows and any other CPU monitoring software including CPU-Z and HWinfo gives wrong info for idle clocks?
As far as I know Ryzen Master is the closest thing right now to giving real time accurate info for clocks.

I've seen say its normal for it to pull more volts at idle to stabilize low clocks and I've seen other comments that the reporting software is causing a 'observer effect' and forcing the core to go into higher activity than it should normally and not idle or report volts and clocks quite right.

There are some posts by that AMD guy Hallock if you want to google and actually hear more about it from a AMD employee.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

monsterzero posted:

Thank god there's some minutia to obsess over. Zen2 was looking too simple and if I cant spend days rebooting to make a number bigger what's the point.

it also looks like higher gains than most anything else you can do with your pc lmao

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
For real. This is a weird generation. I'm used to treating RAM as a commodity part, so picking a new kit for my build is surprisingly stressful. Maybe I'll just buy those gold DIMMs

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I’d like to see someone try DDR-1900 w/ like 9CAS timings, so that the RAM is half the speed of the infinity fabric

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Huh ... Mindfactory just sent me a shipping confirmation for my pre-flashed x470 board, an aftermaket cooler... and my 3900x, which was actually announced to be available next week on 8/14 at the earliest.

Well, I know what I'm doing this weekend ...
(haha, filing an RMA because something is gonna be DOA)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Drakhoran posted:

Open-world games (Fallout 4, ARMA, Witcher 3 to a lesser extent) have always showed at least moderate scaling from faster RAM even back to the 7700K and so on. That genre just needs a lot of bandwidth.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Everybody should watch the video instead of looking at one out of context screen. Tight timings really only made a big difference in that one game and even then only at 1080p with a 2080 Ti. Graphics card slower than a 2080 Ti? You'll probably be GPU limited. Resolution higher than 1080p? You'll probably be GPU limited. Other games? Less difference. Productivity? Almost no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there a significant real world difference between the 2600x and the newer ones, 3700x or whatever?