Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FFXIV events are great. You can be 100% done with them in an hour or two, tops, and it usually only takes a half-hour to get the unique achievement.

e:

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, most FFXIV holiday events can be completed quickly if you just want the unique items from them. Some have more staying power in the form of a mini game that's actually kind of fun to replay. Farming tradable items for resell after the event ends can be worth some money too, depending on exactly what's on offer (nobody usually cares about housing food items, but a cool looking tree may be worth big bucks 10 months later).

I still have a Bombard Lamp from, like, 2014. I could sell it for a couple million gil if I really wanted, but I want to see how high it'll go.

I also have a stack of Iron Clappers that'll totally be worth something someday you'll see!! :v:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I may have just about the most expensive cottage yard on my sever because it has five cherry trees from (I think) the 2015 Little Lady's Day event. But they're pretty and I'm not going to flip them!

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

"Holy poo poo I should've been a dragoon"

I'm really surprised at the revelation that (HW spoils) Nidhogg already died once and both his eyes were taken. Gonna take a wild guess that, much like how any Ishgardian can turn into a dragon with some blood, the Azure Dragoon of the time becomes possessed by/turns into Nidhogg eventually. Mostly because I'm a big fan of lovely cursed loops.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Luceid posted:

It's wild. I'm always astounded how fast and how unpleasant it can get.

From a few pages back, but this is why I lean a bit towards PFs with a voice chat requirement. At the very least it seems people are less compelled to blow a gasket when all that yelling can wake up their mom.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

World War Mammories posted:

DSGHDD LDKSVNLKDUFYHLA DNKVcxxbvdsGGFDF MY CUL DESYNTH

This but BSM/GSM/CUL.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
How's MCH's DPS at max level and in general? My main is a lvl 60 BLM, but I'm looking for something a little more mobile.

I think I read that MCH is considered support DPS, but I looked at their skills list and I don't see anything that buffs the party besides Peloton.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I've just watched some E3S videos and I dunno if I can handle jumping into PF for it just yet. But also I'm addicted to beating my head against a brick wall over and over again so I probably won't be able to help myself.

Secx posted:

How's MCH's DPS at max level and in general? My main is a lvl 60 BLM, but I'm looking for something a little more mobile.

I think I read that MCH is considered support DPS, but I looked at their skills list and I don't see anything that buffs the party besides Peloton.

They're 5th place or so, but they're still about 10% less than the heavy hitters BLM, MNK, DRG and SAM.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Secx posted:

MCH's used to be something similar to a support DPS but shadowbringers completely reworked them to be just a straight regular DPS.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Secx posted:

I can hit two buttons once every minute and vomit over 40K damage on the spot.

They get a party wide def buff later, but that's a shared niche with all physical ranged DPS.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MCH dps is fine when you weigh in that they don't need to worry about positionals, cast times, or being anywhere close to the boss

it's just a lot of work CPM-wise. gets up to around 45 casts per minute on fights with consistent uptime which is well higher than anything not named ninja. whether that's a worthwhile tradeoff is up you. drg for example can do more dps than a mch, with less buttons that need pressing and they can buff their party. mch comparatively only gets tactician once every three minutes

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BrightWing posted:

They've spoken about NIN, SAM, SMN, BRD, and are currently on AST. This is the only slide so far though.

"They acknowledged the weaving is a bit too much and a little too busy for NIN to perform, and they do consider reprogramming some of NIN's actions
Rolling GCD -> Roll ninjutsu -> GCD is the thing they are thinking of instead of Rolling GCD -> Ninjutsu -> Weaving another oGCD -> GCD"
^This is what the tanslator in the reddit discord got from them about NIN and its mudras.

I'm curious what they have in mind for SMN, because it seems like they are more or less where they are intended to be on the DPS power curve and the problems with the class seem to be more of a matter of combat flow and jank rather than the potency just not being where it needs to be. I kind of hope they roll Bio and Miasma into a single ability that just does the combined potency since now that they the same duration, there's basically no reason to not use them together anyway unlike ARR/HW when all the DoTs had different durations. I kind of hope they do something different for Fester since Ruin has also occupies the 'does damage per DoT' mindspace. Maybe up the cooldown and turn the effect into "instantly consumes any Damage over Time effects on the target and does 75% of the total remaining damage" like a bizarro Thundercloud.

Edit: Yeah, as has been stated, MCH is pretty much exactly where they ought to be on the DPS scale. They don't bring any offensive buffs and their personal dps is juuust behind the Melees, but they also don't have positionals, they don't worry about cast times, and they can do what they do at pretty much any range. They can keep going during periods of movement (unlike BLM once Tricast/swiftcast is down) or when it's not safe to be in close (unlike melee).

Reassembled drills are kicking rad though.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 7, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Squidtentacle posted:

"Holy poo poo I should've been a dragoon"

I'm really surprised at the revelation that (HW spoils) Nidhogg already died once and both his eyes were taken. Gonna take a wild guess that, much like how any Ishgardian can turn into a dragon with some blood, the Azure Dragoon of the time becomes possessed by/turns into Nidhogg eventually. Mostly because I'm a big fan of lovely cursed loops.

Nidhogg didn't die, he would have had he not made it to the Aerie and gotten Hraesvaelgar's eye. Ratatoskr was the one who was killed and the one the ishgardians made eyeball soup out of

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Shout out to Ward from FF8 for serving as an aspirational role model for Roegadyn dragoons.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Darth Walrus posted:

Shout out to Ward from FF8 for serving as an aspirational role model for Roegadyn dragoons.

I want a boat anchor spear to throw at bad guys.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Thanks for the Healer/Astrologian advice everyone. I think I might stick with the White Mage until I'm more confident with healing as it seems much more straightforward and I can level an Astrologian at a later point. I really, really like what I've seen of the Astrologian though and it's spells and effects appeal to me hugely!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RoboJoe posted:

Thanks for the Healer/Astrologian advice everyone. I think I might stick with the White Mage until I'm more confident with healing as it seems much more straightforward and I can level an Astrologian at a later point. I really, really like what I've seen of the Astrologian though and it's spells and effects appeal to me hugely!
that's exactly what I did, for the exact same reason!

what's nice is that they have a lot in common in their basic healing toolkit, unlike SCH which players quite differently. Benefic I/II is pretty much Cure I/II, Helios and Aspected Helios are basically Medica I/II, Aspected Benefic is basically Renew and so on. This is glossing over a lot (like the other sect) but it means you can at least have some muscle memory and keybinds transferred when you start leveling it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's happening: I'm in the ARR slump. I enjoyed the Ala Mhigo questline, the slyphs were neat, but now I need something to happen and it just seems to be "oh I've wasted your time" over and over and overrrrr

e: making me go to the exact same area four times in a row complete with reporting back every time is real thrilling gameplay

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Kurieg posted:

Nidhogg didn't die, he would have had he not made it to the Aerie and gotten Hraesvaelgar's eye. Ratatoskr was the one who was killed and the one the ishgardians made eyeball soup out of

Yeah that came up in the next cutscene BUT I STILL LIKE MY IDEA.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's happening: I'm in the ARR slump. I enjoyed the Ala Mhigo questline, the slyphs were neat, but now I need something to happen and it just seems to be "oh I've wasted your time" over and over and overrrrr

e: making me go to the exact same area four times in a row complete with reporting back every time is real thrilling gameplay

God yeah that part sucks. Hang in there, though. You'll get some more good segments and get the drive back.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They'd better keep the food part of the Tidus story.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Live Letter LIII posted:

Q70:
I'm looking forward to the alliance raid coming in Patch 5.1 and I'm curious to see what kind of gear we'll be able to get. Also, would there be any chance that we'll see weapons as a reward? I don't mind it being purely for glamour, but I want that katana shown in the art!

A70:
Actually, I happened to check the models for the rewards today. I provided some feedback, but they were very well-made. We made the decision to make the costumes wearable by both genders, so please look forward to it! A katana weapon would be limited to certain jobs only, so we haven’t planned for them at the moment, but we may consider it if highly requested. I think we’ll have a guest with us for the 5.1 Letter LIVE to talk about YoRHa, so please look forward to it!

:yokotaro: IN A LIVE LETTER

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The 3rd and 4th eden raid bosses came up in the live letter today.

Q19:
After trying out Eden, I was shocked by the Warriors of Light's imagination. How on earth did they come up with that version of Leviathan and Titan!?

A19:
Maybe it was something like... "Leviathan was Patch 2.1? 2.2? He was attacking from two locations...was that a head? Tail?” and I think it mixed with the Shinryu mechanic and became something like that... Perhaps the Wandering Minstrel was also influenced by how the WoL described them, and that’s why things turned out to be so difficult. Titan is likely due to Thancred bringing up the topic of falling, which probably got mixed in with explosions and the Goblin Tanks.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Everybody start thinking about what your giant cat daddy will look like in 2B's skirt and leotard...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I hate to use such uncouth language, but....

Why is Foulques such a pussy? I just wrapped up my level 30 quest with him and my god man, you are the wimpiest wimp I've ever met!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

isk posted:

:yokotaro: IN A LIVE LETTER

Yes, yes. Just so. :getin:

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Everybody start thinking about what your giant cat daddy will look like in 2B's skirt and leotard...

Highlady, and she gonna look drat fine.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
official xiv race tier list, from best to worst:

miqo'te
midlander
au ra
elezen
highlander
viera
roegadyn
lalafell
hrothgar

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Verranicus posted:

miqo'te
midlander
au ra
elezen
highlander
viera
roegadyn
lalafell
hrothgar

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hate to use such uncouth language, but....

Why is Foulques such a pussy? I just wrapped up my level 30 quest with him and my god man, you are the wimpiest wimp I've ever met!

Wait, did that mean you've been a lancer all this time? You've been missing out then, but things are about to get quite a lot better :-)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it's not even GOOD bait, its like a fisherman expecting a fish to bite down on a rusty anchor

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bobfly posted:

Wait, did that mean you've been a lancer all this time? You've been missing out then, but things are about to get quite a lot better :-)

Why are you insinuating that being a lancer hasn't been awesome, it's the best class. I've tried some of the others (arcanist is neat, gladiator is neat, conjurer is boring to level) but lancer is fun and flashy.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Lancer is alright. But you should be getting another level 30 quest?

I'm just saying, I recommend prioritizing your class quests :-)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bobfly posted:

Lancer is alright. But you should be getting another level 30 quest?

I'm just saying, I recommend prioritizing your class quests :-)

I don't want to be a dragoon, I want to be a lancer :C

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

MCH dps is fine when you weigh in that they don't need to worry about positionals, cast times, or being anywhere close to the boss

I never really understood this argument that they're fine because they don't have to do those things. BLM/MNK/DRG/SAM will do way more dps than you if they don't have to move during a fight. They will also do more dps if they do have to move. The only savage fight they aren't the top four in by a comfortable margin is E1S, and then it's only the 3 of them on top and the others neck and neck.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To be serious for a mo - yeah, I'll do my class change quest soon, but first: cutscene time! Min has called me back yet again, and - gasp - plot! Actual plot! Instead of sidequests I get to go slay another god! :toot:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't want to be a dragoon, I want to be a lancer :C

But dragoon is just lancer with benefits? Even in real life (until they got guns).

E: I'd definitely complete DRG up to 50 before you finish 2.x, Even apart from the extra abilities you (IIRC) get for completing the quests, it is a cool story that, being the most Ishgardian job, is very neat to have seen before you do the expansion set there.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 7, 2019

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Verranicus posted:

miqo'te
midlander
au ra
elezen
highlander
viera
roegadyn
lalafell
hrothgar

Yeah.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why are you insinuating that being a lancer hasn't been awesome, it's the best class. I've tried some of the others (arcanist is neat, gladiator is neat, conjurer is boring to level) but lancer is fun and flashy.

Man, that's crazy. I played Marauder, Pugilist, and Lancer to WAR/MNK/DRG, and Lancer was definitely the most boring of the three. It had so little going on for so long.

E: I am now a level 65 Monk.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Verranicus posted:

midlander
miqo'te
au ra
elezen
highlander
viera
roegadyn
lalafell
hrothgar

I adjusted this slightly to be more accurate based entirely on what my WoL is.

Thanks for the opportunity to do this thing that I’ve done.

The live letter was a good read. Interested in particular about the crafting changes they’ve mentioned beyond the desynth stuff.

Also beast tribes in 5.1 :getin:

iTrust fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 7, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lmao this poor guard

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

iTrust posted:

I adjusted this slightly to be more accurate based entirely on what my WoL is.

*backflips in*

:yeah:

(swap au ra and lala tho, those little fuckers are emotive and great for gpose)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Can confirm, lancer is really dull at lower levels.

On the upside, the style behind lancer never really gets lost for dragoon, because og dragoon was "jumps, i guess" and their skills end up pretty evenly split between dragons and fancy spear attacks.