Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

yeah it gets colder but then it finally dissipates from the air and there's like, a lot less ozone when the sun finally does come back out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all the burning makes carbon so when the soot falls we have like an extra 100+ years of human industrial-level carbon in the air and die

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jose posted:

thats just from the dust and soot in the sky. once you factor in the billions of people dead it'll probably slow global warming down quite a bit

Yeah but we're already locked in for like 2C of warming and now there's no ozone

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah but we're already locked in for like 2C of warming and now there's no ozone

we're locked in at current rates aren't we? meaning the sudden loss of 2 billion people and the 3rd biggest polluter are going to cause a noticeable difference and I feel death on that sort of scale might actually cause some major global change

but really if we're talking about nuking countries to get out of climate change the US and europe come first

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

There's probably already enough co2 in the atmosphere to get us to 2C.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

has there been any response from the pakistani government over this? i'd like to hear some before we start worshiping death

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Global warming being cancelled out by nuclear winter was a joke on futurama and now it is real.

Life has a funny way about it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

has there been any response from the pakistani government over this? i'd like to hear some before we start worshiping death

india is threatening to invade pakistani kashmir now

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ow/70556584.cms

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
the pakistani political and military aristocracy is invested in their own self preservation and they're not going to first use over kashmir

there will definitely be a huge wave of terrorism within india not limited to J&K

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Over Easy posted:

Global warming being cancelled out by nuclear winter was a joke on futurama and now it is real.
i thought they canceled it out because robots farted the earth's orbit a small distance away from the sun

i say swears online posted:

india is threatening to invade pakistani kashmir now

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ow/70556584.cms
haha gently caress me, this is going to get real lovely

cargo cult posted:

there will definitely be a huge wave of terrorism within india not limited to J&K
in the short term, definitely. in the long term, who the gently caress knows. so much of the post-WW2 consensus has fallen to the wayside in the past few years, i can easily imagine "don't kill people with nuclear weapons" would too if given half a chance

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Jose posted:

thats just from the dust and soot in the sky. once you factor in the billions of people dead it'll probably slow global warming down quite a bit

the people who will actually die wouldn't even make a dent in global emissions though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the people who will actually die wouldn't even make a dent in global emissions though

india's the 3rd biggest polluter. even if thats producing stuff for the west well it won't be any more

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

india's the 3rd biggest polluter. even if thats producing stuff for the west well it won't be any more

Production will just shift somewhere else within a few years.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hm, lets just have a limited exchange and see if that's good or bad for the environment before proceeding.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cargo cult posted:

the pakistani political and military aristocracy is invested in their own self preservation and they're not going to first use over kashmir

Yeah and in response there's gonna be a Muslim genocide. Indian nationalists are in the same place that the British were 150 years ago, when they resented anyone for daring to resist colonization and blamed the victims for their own crimes.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
the whole preoccupation with india and pakistan going nuclear strikes me as mostly a western thing, like all they've done since '71is jaw at each other for the most part

sort of how every time the dprk starts going off and calling trump a dotard western media thinks they're gonna vaporize seoul within hours but everyone actually in rok just goes about their lives largely confident that nothing will come of it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It doesn't really help that nobody knows what kind of stakes are necessary to do a nuclear first strike. Supposedly it'd be when the metropole is about to fall, but the chance of any kind of conventional war getting to that point between imperial or even regional powers have only a remote chance.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i dont think indian society is militarized to the point that genocide is a real possibility, but pogroms and mass killings definitely are. the 2008 attacks were both really deadly and emabarasing in exposing the inadequacy of indian counter terror but i don't remember waves of reprisal killings, at least not ones that made western media. this was pre-modi though.i keep thinking of turkey and israel as maybe comparable and from what i understand those societies are far more militarized but maybe im being wildly optimistic

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turkey is already ethnically cleansing Afrin of Kurds. For some reason it's harder to implement a final solution in the domestic sphere than it is "abroad" in your colonial interests. The future is not looking so bright for Kashmiri Muslims.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
oh i thought you meant within india proper. yeah this definitely feels like the prelude to ethnic cleansing, and they're almost definitely using israel and turkey in syria as templates. probably russia in donbass too with the communications blackouts and deploying paramilitaries without identification or flags

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cargo cult posted:

quote:

What will happen on Eid? Eid is on Monday. Are you assuming that Kashmiris instead of sacrificing lamb should sacrifice themselves? If you want that I'm sure they'll do that, they've been doing that.

that's from asaduddin owaisi, muslim MP from hyderabad, like 1500 miles from srinagar

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's amazing how successful this overnight deployment and occupation was

https://twitter.com/asadowaisi/status/1158792780950335488/photo/1

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i say swears online posted:

it's amazing how successful this overnight deployment and occupation was

https://twitter.com/asadowaisi/status/1158792780950335488/photo/1
if poo poo rolls downhill, then this is an avalanche of it

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sannareya/status/1158693209847017472

Sounds bad

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cool how all the replies are Indian chuds

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Cool how all the replies are Indian chuds

nobody else can lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/aimaMK/status/1158810892185874432?s=20

Holy poo poo I forgot that Trump said he was going to fix Kashmir a few weeks ago
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1153381144861089793?s=20

Pakistan isn't really doing much it seems?
https://twitter.com/TheseLongWars/status/1158800904193228801?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seems like a war cabinet not a diplomatic meeting but im not an expert

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

seems like a war cabinet not a diplomatic meeting but im not an expert

yeah by the time six-figure numbers of troops start getting moved to the border we're into diplomacy-by-other-means territory and legal recourse is mostly the rear end-covering kind. i don't think anybody gives a gently caress about the laws right now but that's a very hot take.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/alikeskin_tr/status/1158844610254446597

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I guess the real takeaway I should have had is that the Pakistani liberals I followed during the war scare a few months ago who were agitating for deescalation are now frustrated that the government of Pakistan hasn't been quick enough to confrontationally respond to India's bullshit.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Is there any good flowchart for responding to Hindutvas and people who go "but what about Ladakh/Jammu/etc." out there? Asking for a friend

I guess what I'm asking for is good summaries of the history/nuances of Kashmir. It's particularly hard since I don't even know what the consensus solution to the problem is (whereas Palestine has the ol' two-state vs. one-state thing)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yossarian-22 posted:

Is there any good flowchart for responding to Hindutvas and people who go "but what about Ladakh/Jammu/etc." out there? Asking for a friend

I guess what I'm asking for is good summaries of the history/nuances of Kashmir. It's particularly hard since I don't even know what the consensus solution to the problem is (whereas Palestine has the ol' two-state vs. one-state thing)

Pakistan and India have agreed to multilateral negotiations involving j&k, with both agreeing to govern their respective regions under certain guidelines. India wants bilateral negotiations because of the power imbalance. That's extremely basic and I'm probably wrong on some nuance, there may not even have been a long term agreement

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:11tea: https://twitter.com/BucketheadCase/status/1158945606619947008?s=19 :nono:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Yesterday, August 6, the Indian Parliament passed by overwhelming majorities the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill, 2019. This will split the current India state of Jammu and Kashmir into two different Union Territories (Union Territories are directly administered by the India government in New Delhi) of Jammu and Kasmir and Ladhakh.

The current India-administered Jammu and Kasmir (Pakistan and China administered regions disputed by India in light grey)

The new Union Territory of Ladhakh in red. Reduced Jammu and Kashmir to it's left.

Edit: Pakistan responding.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1159097153974939648?s=19

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Aug 7, 2019

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Any indication India is going to swing at the Chinese administered portion of Kashmir? Is the BJP that hopped up on Brahmin Supremacy fascism?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KiteAuraan posted:

Any indication India is going to swing at the Chinese administered portion of Kashmir? Is the BJP that hopped up on Brahmin Supremacy fascism?

Modi's never struck me as suicidal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nazi Propaganda but with musicals

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does Ladakh mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's impressive how quickly India moved to strip away J&K's special status, turn it into a military state, quasi-annex it, and mobilized Bollywood to get war fever all in a matter of days. horrifying, but impressive