Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is it the same actor as Arrow here?

I doubt it, the costume is different and they aren't in continuity with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, this is Esai Morales.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

Titans Season 2 Trailer
Donna Troy, Superboy, what looks like Aqualad and Krypto show up, plus Deathstroke at the very end.

Edit: Might help if I posted the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF8ft2e4RwU

This trailer could prove unrepresentative, but it looks like it's leaning more into the CW-esque fantastical comic book-y aspects of S1 and away from the Marvel Netflix-esque gritty, violent quasi-realism. Which I would be fine with, as S1 never really managed to meld those two very different tones and I liked it better when it did more of the former.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
That looks really good. I liked Titans a lot and this looks to be trying to be what it was good at and less at what it wasn't.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

They ended last season with Trygon, I don't know much about the Titans in the comics but do they have any other major recurring villains?

Superboy-Prime :v:

Brother Blood, Blackfire, Fearsome Five, and H.I.V.E. though pretty much none of those are as famous as Deathstroke and Trigon.

I guess The Wildebeast Society could be a pull.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

After The Boys and Doom Patrol these loving CW’esque trash shows have to pick it up.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I am in for a show about Krypto. Love that dog.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Vintersorg posted:

After The Boys and Doom Patrol these loving CW’esque trash shows have to pick it up.

Well if my memory serves me correct, Titans was originally created to be on TNT as a part of the CW verse. It explains some of that CWish nonsense in the early episodes that was gone as things went on. I have a feel season 2 is going to be a lot closer to Doom Patrol than anything CW.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Djarum posted:

Well if my memory serves me correct, Titans was originally created to be on TNT as a part of the CW verse. It explains some of that CWish nonsense in the early episodes that was gone as things went on. I have a feel season 2 is going to be a lot closer to Doom Patrol than anything CW.

I'm very ready for a standard super-team show, the closest we have right now is Legends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

They ended last season with Trygon, I don't know much about the Titans in the comics but do they have any other major recurring villains?

Not really, they spend an inordinate amount of time fighting people related to Deathstroke or Trygon in some way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I finally finished Happy! S2 and man... as much as I would have liked to see Halloween shenanigans, I kind of get why it was cancelled. It had a lot less steam than S1 from the start, it wasn't quite as sure what kind of story it wanted to tell with the characters it had available, and it laid out explanations for the intriguing mysteries/surreal moments from S1 too plainly and too readily. Still a lot of great moments, still sucks that it got cancelled cause the cast was absolutely stellar and everyone gave it 100%, but in a critical view, probably best to quit while you're still ahead.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lurdiak posted:

Not really, they spend an inordinate amount of time fighting people related to Deathstroke or Trygon in some way.

Brother Blood and the H.I.V.E. can't be far away.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I finally finished Happy! S2 and man... as much as I would have liked to see Halloween shenanigans, I kind of get why it was cancelled. It had a lot less steam than S1 from the start, it wasn't quite as sure what kind of story it wanted to tell with the characters it had available, and it laid out explanations for the intriguing mysteries/surreal moments from S1 too plainly and too readily. Still a lot of great moments, still sucks that it got cancelled cause the cast was absolutely stellar and everyone gave it 100%, but in a critical view, probably best to quit while you're still ahead.

Our standards for TV have shifted so much since I was a kid. Back in the day, something like Happy! would've been groundbreaking television that stands out from the boring sitcoms, prestige soap operas and Jake and the Fatman type cop shows, and now it's seen as "Oh that was neat I guess but I've got 600 other shows I can watch".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do see it like that! I just also feel like they've gotten all the entertainment out of those characters and that setting they could, that they've had to squeeze pretty hard in S2 already, and that it probably would have gone downhill from here. I'd rather have two really good seasons of a show than another endless subscription revenue machine. The real "that was neat I guess" comes when a show has 5 or 6 seasons and people say "yeah first two seasons were alright, I started watching it at x1.5 speed at some point after that, just to keep in the loop ya know, hey how bout that latest Walking Dead now that was TV."

e: or more concise: I'd rather not see one of my very favourite shows become mediocre, and I'm unfortunately spotting the very first signs already

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 9, 2019

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Just watched Ep 2 of Pennyworth and Jesus Christ, did they have a bunch of fake intestines they needed to get rid of or something? That was brutal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm hearing the Boys is pretty good, it fixes a lot of the issues with the comics and restrains Ennis's worst impulses?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They jettison a ton of the bullshit. It's a really great show.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm hearing the Boys is pretty good, it fixes a lot of the issues with the comics and restrains Ennis's worst impulses?

Pretty much that, across the board. I'm legitimately shocked they pulled a show this good out of those books. And the guy playing Homelander is delivering one of the best television acting performances I've ever seen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought it was good. Worth giving it a couple episodes and deciding for yourself at least

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Pretty much that, across the board. I'm legitimately shocked they pulled a show this good out of those books. And the guy playing Homelander is delivering one of the best television acting performances I've ever seen.

Anthony Starr is killing it. I knew he was good but not this good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Anthony Starr is killing it. I knew he was good but not this good.

He really is outstanding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude is acting circles around almost everyone else in a very strong cast. The scene on the plane gave me chills.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They manage to get across Ennis' themes without the cartoonish attempts to offend and other terrible things that litter his work.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Dude is acting circles around almost everyone else in a very strong cast. The scene on the plane gave me chills.

The plane scene is one of the best TV scenes I've seen in a very long time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

They manage to get across Ennis' themes without the cartoonish attempts to offend and other terrible things that litter his work.

gently caress I have to actually watch The Boys don't I? I like the concept he was playing with but I can't stand Ennis'...Ennis bullshit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

They manage to get across Ennis' themes
So which episode suddenly takes place in Ireland for no reason

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

There also needs to be an entire episode where nothing at all happens except people talking about how special and magical pubs are and how they're not at all the same thing as bars.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hugh Campbell senior, Vietnam vet against all odds

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also I don't know: stuff like (The Boys ep 2) shoving a bomb up Translucent's rear end or Doppelganger, well, raping the senator is really what it is still feels pretty drat Ennis-y, just not quite as overtly like a schoolboy telling his mates how he's heard gays put it in the butt, and you could at some length debate the finer points of whether that's keeping the essence of his writing while restraining his bad impulses or whether it's the same old Ennis edginess under a more outwardly progressive veneer (Doppelganger being canonically genderfluid, according to Prime's X-Ray view, which in and of itself only makes sense.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We're three episodes into The Boys, and my wife and I are both shocked we like it, although probably for different reasons. Knowing Ennis and having read some of you all discussing the comic here over the years, I fully expected to despise it. I'm glad they toned it way down.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

You've got to save something for season two. And also that's where we'll get the SAS as the Greatest Heroes Of This Or Any Generation.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://deadline.com/2019/08/marvel-jeph-loeb-interview-disney-legion-netflix-runaways-ghost-rider-howard-the-duck-hulu-1202666578/

Jeph Loeb confirms that Marvel Television is developing shows for Disney+, as well as additional horror shows for Hulu and apparently more street-level shows for unrevealed platform(s).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish he'd confirm he's not working directly on any of them.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Barry Convex posted:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/marvel-jeph-loeb-interview-disney-legion-netflix-runaways-ghost-rider-howard-the-duck-hulu-1202666578/

Jeph Loeb confirms that Marvel Television is developing shows for Disney+, as well as additional horror shows for Hulu and apparently more street-level shows for unrevealed platform(s).

What other street level heroes could they use if they don't bring back the defenders? Moon Knight?

Loeb seems to be dancing around giving a direct answer on if they'd bring them back but I imagine it'd be hard now that the talent will have moved on to other commitments.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't understand the point of putting more Marvel TV stuff on Disney+ if it inevitably is going to be sectioned off from the Marvel Studios stuff. That's just going to make everything even more incredibly confusing than it already is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Arist posted:

I don't understand the point of putting more Marvel TV stuff on Disney+ if it inevitably is going to be sectioned off from the Marvel Studios stuff. That's just going to make everything even more incredibly confusing than it already is.

Because a huge chunk of the Marvel TV audience was still expecting or hoping for cameos of their favorite characters in the last two Avenger's movies. Nothing short of them coming out and saying the MCU and TVU are completely separate and will probably never cross over ever, which for obvious reasons they probably don't want to do, would work in that regard, so they might as well stick them on the same service. If people haven't gotten that they aren't connected by now then they might as well make some extra bucks off of them.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Arist posted:

At one point, I did wonder if Marvel Television was deliberately being kept off Disney+ to avoid that kind of brand confusion with the Marvel Studios miniseries, but I think enough of the audience can probably distinguish the shows that have the Marvel Studios logo and star characters from the films from those that don’t.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

They could have gotten a quick shot of Ming Na and Chloe Bennett stepping out of a portal during that scene in Endgame. :( Or a couple of the Netflix heroes even.

It's not even because they're worried movie folks won't know two of the forty superheroes on screen, it's that they just don't care. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a lot of speculation that they cordoned off the Netflix stuff to keep Perlmutter out of the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Rhyno posted:

There's a lot of speculation that they cordoned off the Netflix stuff to keep Perlmutter out of the MCU.

Yeah that was my understanding as well. The Hulu stuff is probably not connected but I think the Disney+ stuff will stay. Easiest way to tell is finding out how involved Jeph Loeb is, if it's his its probably separate.